PDA

View Full Version : Six Feet Under Complete Series DVD Set

Garth
07-26-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6095

WOO HOO! Even though I have already purchased each set on dvd, I will be on board for this one! Wonder if they will redo any of the discs or if they will simply be reissues of the discs from the previous collections.

ClintP
07-26-2006, 07:44 AM
What is that show about? I have heard about it forever, but never really checked it out.

Garth
07-26-2006, 07:49 AM
What is that show about? I have heard about it forever, but never really checked it out.

It is an HBO show about a family whose family business is a funeral service provider. Each episode starts with a death, which somehow comes into the story with the family in some form. It just deals with all their dramas and problems. IMO, the most realistic show ever created. Give it a try. It is very dark, but also incredibly funny, as well as heartbreaking by the end of the series. Make sure to start at the first season, it really creates the best pay-off by series end that I have seen. Of course, Sopranos hasn't ended completely...yet.

Jonny Z
07-26-2006, 08:04 AM
hmmm... really expensive. i kinda lost track of the show during season 3... i need to really watch the rest of the series

Garth
07-26-2006, 08:15 AM
hmmm... really expensive. i kinda lost track of the show during season 3... i need to really watch the rest of the series

Yeah, it is expensive, but if you pre-order you can usually get 30-40% off thee retail price (which ALWAYS seems high, i.e. 30 bux for a bare-bones dvd) so that would seem to be about 200 bux or less. And if someone is planning on purchasing all 5 seasons, that is 40 bux a season, which is really a steal! Plus the 2 bonus audio cds. And the "Burial Plot Packaging", whatever that is.

Oh, and the series did flutter a bit in the 3rd season, but by the end of the 4th season, things were definitely back on track

Adrian B AWESOME
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
At 35% it's about $180....I'm game.

Jastermereel
07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Did it get any better after the first few episodes of season four? My family had been netflixing it through the first three seasons but when we started on season four we gave up after the hitchhiker episode. The show just felt like it had taken an abrupt nose dive. Did it ever get back to the earlier season's quality?

Andrew j
07-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Damn good price. I'm getting it.

Only own season 1 but I got it from a rental store that was going out of business so it's beat up. Looking forward to watching them all again.

Ethan Van Sciver
07-26-2006, 08:57 AM
I have all the individual sets already. I don't know if I'll upgrade to this, just for a couple soundtracks full of mopey music. The thing that sucks about the individual boxes is that the first season's packaging is about an inch bigger than the rest of them, and it annoys me.

Sy-Klone
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I've never seen the show, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Plus, Peter Krause is in it, and I've grown to appreciate his talent through watching Sports Night recently.

Hmm. It's tempting. I need to check this show out.

Horizon Drive
07-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Best. Show. Ever.

MattJohnson
07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I sincerely wish I had the money for this.

Colin Boylan
07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
It was an amazingly well written show. The most psychological show on TV. It can be a very depressing show, and I don't know if I'd like to rewatch it.

Horizon Drive
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm waiting for it to come down in price. I watched the entire series over several months thanks to Netflix. It is def. a series I want to own.

The third and fourth seasons have rough starts, but each finish strong. I think the much hated "Thats my dog" episode it was one of the better episodes of the series.

Garth
07-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Did it get any better after the first few episodes of season four? My family had been netflixing it through the first three seasons but when we started on season four we gave up after the hitchhiker episode. The show just felt like it had taken an abrupt nose dive. Did it ever get back to the earlier season's quality?

Well, I think season 5 is a full-on return to form. Granted parts of season 3 & 4 were a bit rough. Season 5 sure knows how to wrap everything up. Everyone that has seen it knows what I am talking about. I hesitate to say it ever entered the same quality of the 1st 2 seasons again, but still VERY excellent. And you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't finish it off. BTW, the "That's My Dog" episode you mentioned is either loved or hated. I loved it.

Garth
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I have all the individual sets already. I don't know if I'll upgrade to this, just for a couple soundtracks full of mopey music. The thing that sucks about the individual boxes is that the first season's packaging is about an inch bigger than the rest of them, and it annoys me.

I thought I was the only one who was particularly annoyed by that. I loved that 1st season's box work. But it was a bit large. Either way though, they should have just stuck with it for the remainder of the series. I am so game for this set, if for no other reason then to quench my obsessiveness about my dvd collection's appearance. I don't know what other extras will be included besides those mopey cds ;-) but I am hoping for a collector's booklet along with some "making of" features and interviews and such.

Garth
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
It was an amazingly well written show. The most psychological show on TV. It can be a very depressing show, and I don't know if I'd like to rewatch it.

It is difficult for me to place it on a higher psychological level then Sopranos. But it certainly is no slouch in that department. Thinking back on it, you might be correct though, because ALL the characters have their own quirks and at any time, their psychological problems are fluid and show extreme realism. To a troubling extent even.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
07-26-2006, 11:08 AM
That is cool, but way to much money.

Garth
07-27-2006, 05:38 AM
That is cool, but way to much money.

I couldn't disagree more, if you pre-order it, it turns into like 40 bux/season. Which is a steal, considering HBO's usual prices. I purchased each set for about 70 bux

Garth
07-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Just for everyone who is interested here is the burial plot packaging, looks cool. just hope it fits reasonably well on my dvd shelf

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/SixFeetUnder_Complete_small.jpg

Artie Pink
07-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Way too much money.

And way over-rated in my opinion. It had some great stuff, but overall it was just horrible people treating each other horribly, over and over again. Finally some characters broke out of their patterns towards the end, though.

Garth
08-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Way too much money.

And way over-rated in my opinion. It had some great stuff, but overall it was just horrible people treating each other horribly, over and over again. Finally some characters broke out of their patterns towards the end, though.

But see, it was realistic. I was screaming at them at times, but I totally believed every minute of it. And that was entertaining and enjoyable for me. The realism of this show is unbelievable.

Mark
08-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I wish I didn't already own the first season.

Eric Williams
08-01-2006, 05:10 AM
I've seen all the episodes and I've always wanted the DVDs, the same problem remains.
EXPENSIVE! :(
Oh well, someday...

Garth
08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
ok, but again, the SRP (Standard Retail Price) usually skyrockets what the actual pricing will be. If you pre-order it, lots of online stores will give you a pretty great discount.

JMP
08-01-2006, 06:20 AM
I really wish I could afford this, and I know that pound for pound it's cheaper than buying the seasons seperately, but I don't know if I can justify $200 at one time, as opposed to $60 over a series of a few years.

Garth
08-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I really wish I could afford this, and I know that pound for pound it's cheaper than buying the seasons seperately, but I don't know if I can justify $200 at one time, as opposed to $60 over a series of a few years.

Good point....but...ummm.....burial plot packaging?

JMP
08-01-2006, 06:24 AM
Good point....but...ummm.....burial plot packaging?

That is pretty awesome, maybe I'll just save a bit and buy the whole thing in a year.

Garth
08-01-2006, 06:26 AM
That is pretty awesome, maybe I'll just save a bit and buy the whole thing in a year.

Now that's the spirit

Garth
09-15-2006, 05:48 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000HEVZBW.01.PT01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59750623_.jp g

LenNWallace
09-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Welp, I guess I'll finally be watching this show on DVD too.

Akira
09-15-2006, 05:58 AM
*sigh* Still no complete series set for Oz? :(

Garth
09-15-2006, 06:03 AM
*sigh* Still no complete series set for Oz? :(

Nah, but they JUST released the final season on DVD. So they will be double dipping it for sure, give it 9 months to a year (as an estimate)

Garth
09-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Welp, I guess I'll finally be watching this show on DVD too.

I just sold all my SFU box sets on ebay to get money for this set. I know it is kind of running around in circles, but that is how much of a collecting nerd I am! Plus, who can argue with that box art!?

Garth
11-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Ok, just got mine in the mail yesterday. What an amazing box set!!! I am SO impressed. Nothing new as far as extras, although it does include those 2 audio cds and a booklet with all the main character obituaries. Very nice! Can't reccommend it highly enough.

Thomas Mauer
11-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Cool, I'll finally get to watch the show now. :)

Garth
11-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Cool, I'll finally get to watch the show now. :)

Oh you never actually saw it?

Blane
11-17-2006, 07:06 AM
One of my favorites of all time. I love this show so much.

That being said, I don't think I'll be owning it. That's a lot of money... and plus... the library has it.

Thomas Mauer
11-17-2006, 07:10 AM
No. I was in the States when the first season aired in Germany (dubbed), so I missed that. Ever since, I can't stand dubbing anymore, so passed on jumping on for season 2.

Garth
11-17-2006, 08:12 AM
No. I was in the States when the first season aired in Germany (dubbed), so I missed that. Ever since, I can't stand dubbing anymore, so passed on jumping on for season 2.

Well, hope you like it as much as I do. (especially after you dropped so many bux on the complete set) Make sure to let the board know what you think!

Thomas Mauer
11-17-2006, 08:17 AM
I definitely will. It's on my list for things to buy when I get that job I'm on the short list for. :)

Criden
11-17-2006, 08:25 AM

Well, that was a litmus test episode for a lot of people. I was highly disturbed by it at the time, but it was of a no lower quality than any of the other episodes. For the record, I don't think the quality ever dipped off--in Sopranos, either, for that matter--and a lot of episodes people point to as lackluster in both of those shows stack up just fine for me. Like, "Christopher" in Sopranos Season 4, I thought that one was stellar. Or like "Perfect Circles" in this show, just an amazing episode.

Garth
11-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, that was a litmus test episode for a lot of people. I was highly disturbed by it at the time, but it was of a no lower quality than any of the other episodes. For the record, I don't think the quality ever dipped off--in Sopranos, either, for that matter--and a lot of episodes people point to as lackluster in both of those shows stack up just fine for me. Like, "Christopher" in Sopranos Season 4, I thought that one was stellar. Or like "Perfect Circles" in this show, just an amazing episode.

Yeah, but you have sex with HBO on a regular basis :-) No, I agree with you on alot of what you are saying. I thought "That's My Dog" was a high-point of the series, personally. Alot of people hated it, but it was great to me!

I loved "Christopher" on the Sopranos also. Those were the kinds of stories, the creator, David Chase made the show to tell. But people hate for no reason.

"Perfect Circles" threw me for a loop. It wasn't my favorite season opener just cause of some cliche parts that I won't spoil here. But there are some trippy parts that I would love to have explained to me about that episode as well. It is nowhere near a low-point of the series, however (for me, that would be the time period with the intern, Arthur) but whatever, still love this series more than I can explain.

Criden
11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but you have sex with HBO on a regular basis :-) No, I agree with you on alot of what you are saying. I thought "That's My Dog" was a high-point of the series, personally. Alot of people hated it, but it was great to me!

I loved "Christopher" on the Sopranos also. Those were the kinds of stories, the creator, David Chase made the show to tell. But people hate for no reason.

"Perfect Circles" threw me for a loop. It wasn't my favorite season opener just cause of some cliche parts that I won't spoil here. But there are some trippy parts that I would love to have explained to me about that episode as well. It is nowhere near a low-point of the series, however (for me, that would be the time period with the intern, Arthur) but whatever, still love this series more than I can explain.

Well, I would have sex with HBO on a regular basis, but somehow I don't think my girlfriend would approve.

I think there are two kinds of Sopranos viewers: the introspective viewers looking for a deep show and the more...base viewers...looking for guns and sex scenes. It's the old jouissance/plaisir dispute.

I would love to answer any questions about Perfect Circles--or any episode of Six Feet Under--for you. I think the Arthur stuff was weird, sure, but it fit with the show well...I'm glad he wasn't the poop-sender.

Los
11-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I just got this yesterday. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm going to as soon as i get home from work. I love this show so much. As long as HBO keeps bringing us shows with this much quality, I'll continue on paying.

Garth
11-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, I would have sex with HBO on a regular basis, but somehow I don't think my girlfriend would approve.

I think there are two kinds of Sopranos viewers: the introspective viewers looking for a deep show and the more...base viewers...looking for guns and sex scenes. It's the old jouissance/plaisir dispute.

I would love to answer any questions about Perfect Circles--or any episode of Six Feet Under--for you. I think the Arthur stuff was weird, sure, but it fit with the show well...I'm glad he wasn't the poop-sender.

Well I absolutely agree with you on the Sopranos part. Trust me, I am not the latter (guns and sex and wacking viewer). I am all about the struggle that Tony is going through to try and become a better person (at least that is my view of what the show revolves around).

Well before I ask you any questions, I think I will go rewatch the episode and then listen to the commentary. Most of my questions have to do with the dream sequence @ the beginning and symbolism/meanings of all the quirky shit that Nate experiences. So, it isn't that I didn't understand stuff, it was just more like a "Wha?" thingy, but it fits with the tone of the show.

As for Arthur, looking back on it, he was very important for Ruth's progression of taste in men. But, imo, that is about it. His lines usually fell flat, and just was generally not that interesting--to me...And I can't say that about many other characters on SFU.

FedEx Fanboy
11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I finished watch Six Feet Under (mostly on DVD except for season six) and while I love the show dearly, I don't think it's a series I'll ever watch again.

At least for a very long time...

Garth
11-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I finished watch Six Feet Under (mostly on DVD except for season six) and while I love the show dearly, I don't think it's a series I'll ever watch again.

At least for a very long time...

Because it was emotionally draining? Too deppressing? You liked it, so why not watch it again?

FedEx Fanboy
11-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Because it was emotionally draining? Too deppressing? You liked it, so why not watch it again?

I'll watch it again... Just not for a long time. I don't really find stuff "depressing" or "emotional draining", so that's not an issue. I've got too many other shows to watch or that I'd rather watch again.

Garth
11-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll watch it again... Just not for a long time. I don't really find stuff "depressing" or "emotional draining", so that's not an issue. I've got too many other shows to watch or that I'd rather watch again.

oh gotcha