PDA

View Full Version : Watched Dark Crystal over the weekend

Evan the Shaggy
07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Really a testament to the worlds that Jim Henson could create, as the set pieces and characters themselves were definetely something to look at. Its funny because thinking about it, I can't really remember a kids movie that was played completely serious in the last couple of years. I mean, I know that there are kids' movies that can appeal to both kids and adults comically, but not really kids' movies that are completely serious.

I can only imagine the number of puppeteers they needed to bring the Skeekes to life.

Just gotta watch Labirynth now, as I hear these movies kind of go hand in hand.

Stark Raving
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I love that movie.

DaGetHighKnight
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I saw that Movie in Times Square in the 80's when it came out in the theater, It scared me to death..Then I saw it in the 90's on acid, It scared me to death...

Evan the Shaggy
07-19-2006, 05:09 PM
I saw that Movie in Times Square in the 80's when it came out in the theater, It scared me to death..Then I saw it in the 90's on acid, It scared me to death...

While watching it, I just kept thinking how much better it would have been if I still smoked.

Brandon Reynolds
07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
You know that they're making another one, right?

Evan the Shaggy
07-19-2006, 06:15 PM
You know that they're making another one, right?

Really? Where the hell can they go from the ending?

james michael
07-19-2006, 06:24 PM
i had the same experience, only substitute acid for shrooms...

and i still think all gelflings are girls...

Brandon Reynolds
07-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Really? Where the hell can they go from the ending?

Jen and Kira, having lived for many years as the rulers of their world since the reunification of the crystal, welcome an unexpected visitor to their castle, Thurma the fire girl, from her they learn that the U-mun people, who live in the blazing center of the planet, are threatened by the death of their sun. There is only one thing powerful enough to heal the star - a shard of the crystal.

The movie is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky (Star Wars: Clone Wars).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal

Good & Evil
07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
The movie is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky (Star Wars: Clone Wars).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal

By the gods, why? Isn't one bad muppet movie enough, do we really need two?

greg donovan
07-20-2006, 07:27 AM

since the dark crystal is awesome what other bad muppet movie could you be talking about?

GelfXIII
07-20-2006, 07:29 AM
i had the same experience, only substitute acid for shrooms...

and i still think all gelflings are girls...

HEY!

Jef UK
07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
I find this movie exceptionally boring as an adult.

Race
07-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Freaked me out when I was younger - especially when they drained the souls from the little slave-muppets. Their eyes . . .

Hey, maybe that's where my loathing of zombies started?

greg donovan
07-20-2006, 08:04 AM

i would like to see it re made. dont change too much. but there is some stuff in the movie that doesnt really stand up over time. like the internal monologue.

i have no problem with remakes. there are days where i would like to see the entire Star Wars franchise re done as well.

mattbrand
07-20-2006, 08:08 AM

Seriously? I loved it as a kid, and I just saw it maybe a year ago, and loved it all over again.

WinterRose
07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Saw that in the charlotetown theater when it initially released. By the way, most videos of the movie come with the making of featurette on it nowadays. Both the U-Ru and the Skeksis only had one person each, except the shots where you needed an U-Ru using all four of his arms.

The Skeksis were done with one person holding the head up over his head with one arm, whilst looking at a closed circuit monitor in the chest cavity. The expressions were done via armatures like Empire Stikes Back Yoda was. Probably cos they and Yoda were made by the same folks. And in some cases, performed by the same performer, Frank Oz.

The Roman Candle
07-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Re-read this line:

The movie is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky

greg donovan
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
on a related note my wife hates it when i talk like the Chamberlain Skeksis.

greg donovan
07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
There Will be a Panel For the Power Of the Dark Crystal at Sandiego on 7/21

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci06_prog_fri.php

6:00-7:00 The Jim Henson Company: Power of the Dark Crystal and Sneak Peeks— Lisa Henson (Power of the Dark Crystal), and Michael Polis (MirrorMask) from The Jim Henson Company will discuss current and upcoming productions. Panelists include Brian Froud (Labyrinth), Genndy Tartakofsky (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and Scott Stewart (Superman Returns) will be on hand to talk about the much-anticipated sequel feature Power of the Dark Crystal. Other topics include the new puppet television shows for grown-ups as well as new DVD releases, manga books, and exciting new products from Jim Henson Designs. Room 6CDEF