PDA

View Full Version : A Runaway is dead, your reaction.

InBendiswetrust
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
A body is now lifeless without a spirit. Everything has changed for the Runaways. How did you react?

james michael
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
i havent bought it yet, buti hate being right all the time :(

Angel of Distraction
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Did this just happen? And if so, is not posting spoilers in the thread title TOO MUCH TO FUCKING ASK?

FredC
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Did this just happen? And if so, is not posting spoilers in the thread title TOO MUCH TO FUCKING ASK?

They announced it in the solicitations. I don't see why spoiler tags are needed.

LenNWallace
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
They announced it in the solicitations. I don't see why spoiler tags are needed.
He's screaming at me on AIM about it right now, when I keep telling him it's been like... The worst kept secret in comics.

james michael
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
are you dumb?

theres been a two month old thread about this very subject...
its not a spoiler if it was spoiled months ago...

Adrian B AWESOME
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
are you dumb?

It's on the fucking cover for Christ sake.

THWIP!
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM

There the fuck have you been? It's been announced for months. You're here all the time, there have been threads on the front page for days.

james michael
07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
i hope this proves how stupid the concept of spoilers is...
do away with them all!
BRUCE WAYNES BATMAN!!! :x

A.Huerta
07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Who died?

LenNWallace
07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
How dare you?!

FredC
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
i hope this proves how stupid the concept of spoilers is...
do away with them all!

Pffft! That millionaire playboy? You expect us to believe that? :roll:

james michael
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
now i feel like cassandra :(

FredC
07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Who died?

Superman.

A.Huerta
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Superman.

Again! Fuck.

JoeE
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
"I like these kids, why did BKV have to kill another one"

Thudpucker
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Who died?

the dinosaur girl (Gert?)

St.-
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Is it the ugly one?

Nick Ignacio
07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
While you really don't want any of the Runaways to die, it worked out perfectly.
A sad, glorious death.

A great set-up for things to come.

Thudpucker
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Is it the ugly one?

The Goth chic with a stick in her belly? no.

Brad N.
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
LOL, Angel, I'm not goig to give ya shit for not hearing about this, but it's certainly no spoiler at all. The solicits said it months ago and the cover has all the Runaways on it and says one of them is going to die. To answer the people's curiousity in case you've missed all the other related threads it was Gert.

Vonn Hennigar
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Ugly people don't deserve to live clearly.

That Victor and Karolina are so Dreamy.:twisted:

skinnyrunaway
07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm not sad at all. I'm perfectly fine. ITS NOT LIKE BKV KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IN COMICS EVER OR ANYTHING!

R.I.P. I'll miss you sooo much.

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
The Goth chic with a stick in her belly? no.

Die a million fiery deaths in orange soda. :mad:

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I'll miss the dead character greatly. They added something unique to the title, as did all the characters. But at the end of the day, this is the character I wanted to see go. It was the one character I could imagine the series moving on without.

THWIP!
07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I guess in those discussion thread that mentioned that Gert died confirms that the whole Victor future Avengers things is going to not happen. So Victor is officially a Good Guy, unless Chase does bring her back.

Raphael J
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
:(

Ack. It was written very well, but it still kind've sucks.

james michael
07-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I'll miss the dead character greatly. They added something unique to the title, as did all the characters. But at the end of the day, this is the character I wanted to see go. It was the one character I could imagine the series moving on without.
you have never been more wrong...
in fact,
its obvious the team cant go on without her, as theyre now down three members...
YOU LOSE! :x

InBendiswetrust
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
in fact,
its obvious the team cant go on without her, as theyre now down three members...

Where do you get three? I count two, but Alex doesn't count because he was a bastard.

Anyway, I think it was well written. You really didn't know who was gonna live or die. I almost got mad halfway through when I thought "someone else" was gonna die.

Umm while we are talking about the Runaways. Does anyone think Chase and Gert ever did it?

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 02:24 PM
in fact,

But now they have a transgender Super-Skrull with the powers of four!

james michael
07-19-2006, 02:36 PM
But now they have a transgender Super-Skrull with the powers of four!
oooh! a character with no depth that weve seen, and (s)he only has legitimate ties with one teammate :roll:

Where do you get three? I count two, but Alex doesn't count because he was a bastard.

ummm... alex has been dead for well over a year...
gerts dead, and chase has taken off with old lace

also, with the events at the end of this issue, im beginning to think that maybe
this volukme will end with chase doing the nimorus resurrection spell that the new pride used that brought back geoffrey wilder, sacrificing his life to bring gert back...

i know, it will not happen :(

BronxRonin
07-19-2006, 02:54 PM
LOL, Angel, I'm not goig to give ya shit for not hearing about this, but it's certainly no spoiler at all. The solicits said it months ago and the cover has all the Runaways on it and says one of them is going to die. To answer the people's curiousity in case you've missed all the other related threads it was Gert.
good hated her...
;-)

PeteL
07-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I was surprised at who it was. A little sad, but overall ok. Runaways is a great book.

Cth
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Die a million fiery deaths in orange soda. :mad:

He's right y'know ;)

I guess we can get more angst from her, and she can go cut herself up like the emo wanna be she is :P

Anyway, I think it was well written. You really didn't know who was gonna live or die. I almost got mad halfway through when I thought "someone else" was gonna die.

Not quite. People who show up in the beginning are safe. When you get halfway through the issue and people haven't made appearances, they're as good as dead. Especially if on some crazy rescue mission.

Stupid robot boy and clueless airhead pilots :D Molly's the only reason to stick around, unless they do something decent with Chase now.

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
He's right y'know ;)

I guess we can get more angst from her, and she can go cut herself up like the emo wanna be she is :P

Who would you rather look at?

This?
http://www.runawaysthecomic.com/gertface.jpg

Or THIS?
http://images.comicbookresources.com/solicits/marvel072005/big/runaways2-06.jpg

I liked Gert, but damn. :D(Yes, I'm completely shallow, and at peace with that.)

james michael
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM

This?
yes, i would...

she is quite possibly one of the most well rounded and realistic looking character ive seen in comics...

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
yes, i would...

she is quite possibly one of the most well rounded and realistic looking character ive seen in comics...

Bwahaha. :)

I'm sorry, dude. You just walked right into that one.

james michael
07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Bwahaha. :)

I'm sorry, dude. You just walked right into that one.
care to describe your last conquest that didnt give you papercuts?

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
care to describe your last conquest that didnt give you papercuts?

I did repeatedly on the board. She was hot, liked me for some reason, agreed to dress up as Supergirl, then told me that my writing sucked without ever reading it. Bitch.

Besides, you DID walk into that. No need to get personal. Fair's fair. :)

james michael
07-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I did repeatedly on the board. She was hot, liked me for some reason, agreed to dress up as Supergirl, then told me that my writing sucked without ever reading it. Bitch.
how did i miss that?

oh yeah, I DONT CARE :x

besides, i hear nicos got herpes...

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 05:27 PM
how did i miss that?

Magical emo herpes......

Hey, I like Gert. A lot. Great character. But anyone who says Nico is ugly is dead wrong and upside down. :D

Cth
07-19-2006, 05:30 PM

I liked Gert, but damn. :D(Yes, I'm completely shallow, and at peace with that.)

Way to go, get a really crappy pic to bolster your argument :)

Note the blood on Nico, she'd rather kill herself than be with you :D

And paleness is from the blood loss and numerous Insane Clown Posse concerts.

And wait'll you see her cheese grater arm..

Yeah, totally hot :D

gwyllgi
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Nico is as hot as a comic character can be. She's not real, so I don't drool, but girls like that are prrrretty.

and there's nothing at all wrong with a little blood play.

niceguyeddie
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
are you dumb?

Dude, some people aren't able to reach their LCS too often.
Personally, I'm looking for spoilers, but lets be considerate guys. Come on.

Howlett
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I haven't read it yet, but since I dropped the book I read the spoilers and I'm not upset at all by who died. While Chase and Viktor were my least favourite and I'd have been happier to see one of them go, Gert definitely did very little for me as a character so I have no feeling on the subject at all.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
07-19-2006, 05:43 PM
If someone had to die, this was the right choice.

Hate_Prime
07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Nico is as hot as a comic character can be. She's not real, so I don't drool, but girls like that are prrrretty.

and there's nothing at all wrong with a little blood play.

That may be because you're used to bleeding atleast a few day out of a month.

Hate_Prime
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Also, I don't mind that particular character being killed.

TheTravis!
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM

This?

Or THIS?

Guess what? You're a fucking creep, and you're back on my ignore list.

james michael
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Dude, some people aren't able to reach their LCS too often.
Personally, I'm looking for spoilers, but lets be considerate guys. Come on.
he posts on the board EVERY DAY...

there has been much speculation on who is going to die, and the title of the thread doesnt even say who it is, just that one of them did die...

weve known for months this was gonna happen, so acting like the mere mention of a character dying is a spoiler is just dumb...

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Guess what? You're a fucking creep, and you're back on my ignore list.

Ah, right. I forgot the cardinal rule of the Bendis Board. "Always think whether your post will upset Travis before posting". :surrend:

Josh!
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I was pretty sad. That was my favorite character, but even though I voted for Chase, I still thought Gert was going to bite it.

I guess in those discussion thread that mentioned that Gert died confirms that the whole Victor future Avengers things is going to not happen. So Victor is officially a Good Guy, unless Chase does bring her back.

Not necessarily... I think the Victorious future is still possible, for two reasons:

1) Gert never did tell Chase how much she loved him. She died right before.

2) Gert no longer has Old Lace (Future Gert didn't had Old Lace).

I said possible, not probable. I recognize that she'll probably be back at some point in the future... we'll probably see Alex again before Gert, but this ending leaves the Victorious future wide open.

Hot damn I love this comic.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 06:21 PM
how did i miss that?

No, no, no....

She's got the gonosyphilaids....

That knife has really been around.

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 06:24 PM
No, no, no....

She's got the gonosyphilaids....

That knife has really been around.

:scared:

InBendiswetrust
07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
No one should be bitching about my title or my first post. In no way did I say who died. I just said someone did, and that is what I meant to do. I assumed people who read it would be the only ones talking about this.

OBVIOUSLY!!!

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 06:42 PM
No one should be bitching about my title or my first post. In no way did I say who died. I just said someone did, and that is what I meant to do. I assumed people who read it would be the only ones talking about this.

OBVIOUSLY!!!
Well, not every one picks up their books on Wednesday.

But even considering that, it's been talked about, and solicited as such.

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 06:42 PM

OBVIOUSLY!!!

There will always be something to bitch about.

gwyllgi
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
That may be because you're used to bleeding atleast a few day out of a month.

No, I just like knives.

gwyllgi
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
For once I'm not seeing why what Raydawggie posted was being a creep.

He just stated the hot asian goth girl was hotter than the hot emo looking indi girl.

Which, they're both characters and not real, so it's no biggie, but Nico's drawing is more appealing than Gert's drawing. :} I like goth.

TheKraken
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
There will always be something to bitch about.

Like his giant-ass signature...

Howlett
07-19-2006, 07:25 PM
For once I'm not seeing why what Raydawggie posted was being a creep.

He just stated the hot asian goth girl was hotter than the hot emo looking indi girl.

Which, they're both characters and not real, so it's no biggie, but Nico's drawing is more appealing than Gert's drawing. :} I like goth.
Yeah, I agree with this. I didn't see that as Ray being a creep at all.

gwyllgi
07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Me either, but what do I know.

*shrug*

Gimme a girl in black over quaint hipster any day.
Unless it's a psycho bitch whose name starts with "a"

Dermie
07-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Umm while we are talking about the Runaways. Does anyone think Chase and Gert ever did it?

Yes. In an early issue of volume two, when the Runaways are talking about the power vacuum left in the L.A. crime scene by the fall of the Pride, Chase jokes that 'Power Vacuum' should be Gert's new codename, which implies that they've had oral sex.
And a few issues ago, it was established that Gert and Chase sleep in the same bed. Of course, it IS possible that a teenage couple can sleep in the bed without having sex...but I'd say the implication is that they had a sexual relationship.

Howlett
07-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Me either, but what do I know.

*shrug*

Gimme a girl in black over quaint hipster any day.
Unless it's a psycho bitch whose name starts with "a"
Again, I agree completely.... except for the girl whose name starts with "a" bit. Thats all you :lol:

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I agree with this. I didn't see that as Ray being a creep at all.

I've given up on trying to understand it. TheTravis and I were getting along fine, then I make what everyone seems to think was a pretty innocuous comment, and he not only puts me on ignore but does it publicly while making a personal attack in the process. I wouldn't give a fuck if I got the impression that he genuinely hated me, like one person who has me on ignore, but I don't get that from him. Whatever. *shrugs*

Howlett
07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I've given up on trying to understand it. TheTravis and I were getting along fine, then I make what everyone seems to think was a pretty innocuous comment, and he not only puts me on ignore but does it publicly while making a personal attack in the process. I wouldn't give a fuck if I got the impression that he genuinely hated me, like one person who has me on ignore, but I don't get that from him. Whatever. *shrugs*
Whoever said messageboards make sense needs to spend one week here. Then after their head explodes, we can laugh :)

thatguylobo
07-19-2006, 07:39 PM

This?

Or THIS?

Gotta go with Gert, man. I like Goth chicks as much as the next guy, but not as much as I like pudgy sarcastic chicks with dinosaurs.

Ray G.
07-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Gotta go with Gert, man. I like Goth chicks as much as the next guy, but not as much as I like pudgy sarcastic chicks with dinosaurs.

Each to their own, dude. Nico combines my love of goth girls with my love of asian girls into one, so she'll always have a place in my heart. Now if only she was real......:)

gwyllgi
07-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I'll admit I'm just really into the blood thing.
Heh.

niceguyeddie
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
he posts on the board EVERY DAY...

there has been much speculation on who is going to die, and the title of the thread doesnt even say who it is, just that one of them did die...

weve known for months this was gonna happen, so acting like the mere mention of a character dying is a spoiler is just dumb...

I'm not trying to argue or call foul.
It just seemed like there might be some people thinking that the secret of who died isn't a secret anymore and shouldn't be considered a spoiler.
IF that's the case, remember that there are those on the board who aren't able to reach their shops often and could possibly have missed previous spoiler threads or whatever.
I personally had no idea who was going to die. I just don't like it when there's probs on the board when it could've been easily prevented.

ps. about how the solicitations supposedly gave the death away...
I hardly ever read and/or see the solicitations, so MAYBE (just suggesting) that should be taken into account.

I try to be cautious myself when reading and posting things that could contain spoilers.

TheTravis!
07-19-2006, 08:06 PM

No, you know what? You're right. I've got my own shit going on here, and I found your comment offensive, and I took it out on you. I apologize.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
It's the dinosaur's nose ring what does it for me....

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
No, you know what? You're right. I've got my own shit going on here, and I found your comment offensive, and I took it out on you. I apologize.
Such a huggable, lovable dolphin!

TheTravis!
07-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Such a huggable, lovable dolphin!

Shut your fucking hole, Luthor.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
It just seemed like there might be some people thinking that the secret of who died isn't a secret anymore and shouldn't be considered a spoiler.
IF that's the case, remember that there are those on the board who aren't able to reach their shops often and could possibly have missed previous spoiler threads or whatever.
I personally had no idea who was going to die. I just don't like it when there's probs on the board when it could've been easily prevented.

I hardly ever read and/or see the solicitations, so MAYBE (just suggesting) that should be taken into account.

I try to be cautious myself when reading and posting things that could contain spoilers.
We're not arguing over the fact of who died being the spoiler, just that someone died. And even if they've avoided spoilers like the plague their whole life, they'll see on the cover that someone dies as soon as they see the issue.

Blandy vs Terrorism
07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Shut your fucking hole, Luthor.
Close...your...er....blowhole! Yyyyyeaah!

:moon:

james michael
07-19-2006, 08:17 PM

you misunderstand...

there were no spoilers given in the first post, at all... just saying "someone died" isnt a spoiler, because its been coming for months now, and was never a secret to begin with, so not one thing was spoiled...

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 05:04 AM

Thank you. Glad we're cool. :)

Blane
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
I really liked this story.

I am pretty sure that Chase will be leaving the book for a while, and I really love the way that it sort of confirmed Gert's belief about fate as well as condemning it, without her being able to say she loves him.

BKV's set up some nice story lines for the future. Is Molly really smarter than she lets on? What happened in space with Karolina and Xavin? The possibility of Victor turning evil. And of course, what will happen to Chase.

One of my favorite comics, hands down.

Ryan Walsh
07-20-2006, 05:55 AM
My reaction to her death: Crap!!

My reaction to the last page: Awwww, yeah....

Jef UK
07-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I thought it was sad. I'll miss Gert, and I'll miss having a cool chick that isn't waif-thin or super-bod-busty in comics (although I think BloodyHeck's prediction could be right on the money). I was hoping it would be Karolina, personally.

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I loved Gert. A LOT. I loved her because she was the most well-realized character in the book besides Chase. And because comics NEEDS a character who is not super waif/model thin and is also not a fucking joke.

I have every thought that this sets Chase up as a new villian for the Runaways.

nihilance
07-20-2006, 06:54 AM
That seems a little too obvious though. I don't think Chase will be a straight up villain per se...but I do think he might have his own agenda that he believes is right.

Cth
07-20-2006, 06:59 AM
I loved Gert. A LOT. I loved her because she was the most well-realized character in the book besides Chase. And because comics NEEDS a character who is not super waif/model thin and is also not a fucking joke.

I agree with the 1st paragraph 150%.. I love goths and asians as much as anyone, but really, she's seems created just to fuel fanboy interest.

I see Chase as a 3rd party doing what he thinks is right. Kinda like a young Punisher :D

Can someone quote those lines someone made about Chase about being an adult and getting kicked out or something along those lines?

RE: Molly Theory

There was that whole theory going around at the time about her parents being Asgardian or something. Which is why she didn't lose her powers in Decimation, and is seemingly older than she lets on.

And as weird as it sounds, I wonder if he modeled her somewhat on that kid in Adventures in Babysitting with the Thor hat (yes I know it's mostly off of his sister, but just thinking out loud)

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 07:53 AM
I agree with the 1st paragraph 150%.. I love goths and asians as much as anyone, but really, she's seems created just to fuel fanboy interest.

I see Chase as a 3rd party doing what he thinks is right. Kinda like a young Punisher :D

Can someone quote those lines someone made about Chase about being an adult and getting kicked out or something along those lines?

RE: Molly Theory

There was that whole theory going around at the time about her parents being Asgardian or something. Which is why she didn't lose her powers in Decimation, and is seemingly older than she lets on.

And as weird as it sounds, I wonder if he modeled her somewhat on that kid in Adventures in Babysitting with the Thor hat (yes I know it's mostly off of his sister, but just thinking out loud)

I like your Molly theory. I like it a LOT.

I don't see Chase a villian of the moustache twirling variety, but if he's going to be using the knowledge of the Gibborim to revive Gert, I could see him coming into conflict with the rest of the Runaways.

BKV writes some goddamned great comics. I think I love him.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Having read this issue finally, I can say I'll miss Gert a fuck of a lot more than I ever thought I would. She never was my favorite character, but sometimes you never appreciate someone until they're gone. Who'll provide the snark now? :(

That being said, if Vaughan was determined to kill someone, which I don't really know why he was, I think he absolutely made the right choice. This was the one death that could truly be used to advance another character. Despite all my creepy comments about Nico in this and other threads, my favorite character in the Runaways has always been none other than Chase. There's been so much untapped potential right under the surface, and we're finally going to see it come out now. He's got powers. He's got a mission. And he's got secrets that we still haven't fully explored. I can't fucking wait to see what Vaughan does with him.

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Having read this issue finally, I can say I'll miss Gert a fuck of a lot more than I ever thought I would. She never was my favorite character, but sometimes you never appreciate someone until they're gone. Who'll provide the snark now? :(

That being said, if Vaughan was determined to kill someone, which I don't really know why he was, I think he absolutely made the right choice. This was the one death that could truly be used to advance another character. Despite all my creepy comments about Nico in this and other threads, my favorite character in the Runaways has always been none other than Chase. There's been so much untapped potential right under the surface, and we're finally going to see it come out now. He's got powers. He's got a mission. And he's got secrets that we still haven't fully explored. I can't fucking wait to see what Vaughan does with him.

I actually think either Nico or Chase could have been killed and used to create some great reaction from Gert.

It's obvious now that BKV has been planning this since the first issue of the new run, and that the "future Gert" was a swerve.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't think Chase will become a villain. I think he will want to pursue his own agenda, but after a while, he'll come back around. With or without ressurected Gert. If anything, Chase may become the new "leader" of the group. Well, we'll have to see what this boy and his dinosaur end up doing.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 10:56 AM
I actually think either Nico or Chase could have been killed and used to create some great reaction from Gert.

It's obvious now that BKV has been planning this since the first issue of the new run, and that the "future Gert" was a swerve.

Definitely was a swerve. Now, could this future Gert be from another dimension or something? Perhaps we'll find out that Viktor and future Gert actually went back to the wrong past or something.

Either way, Vaughan definitely got us with this one.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Gert's reaction would have been interesting, but at the end of the day, she was probably the most stable member of the Runaways. If Nico died, she would have pulled it together and put her pain aside to lead the team and help her friends get through it. If Chase died, she would have likely been completely broken up by it, but wouldn't have snapped or anything. She was too rational.

I agree, Vaughan's been building to it. We're finally going to see what Chase was alluding to in the New York storyline. I really hope Vaughan doesn't go the easy route and make him a villain. He'd be much more interesting as a wild card character.

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think Chase will become a villain. I think he will want to pursue his own agenda, but after a while, he'll come back around. With or without ressurected Gert. If anything, Chase may become the new "leader" of the group. Well, we'll have to see what this boy and his dinosaur end up doing.

My guess is that we probably won't see Chase again for a while. They just brought in Gavin and Karolina, and that kind of fills the gaps made by Chase and Gert.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Definitely was a swerve. Now, could this future Gert be from another dimension or something? Perhaps we'll find out that Viktor and future Gert actually went back to the wrong past or something.

Either way, Vaughan definitely got us with this one.

Not really. By coming back in time to warn the Runaways, future Gert changed the timestream, so he future no longer exists. It's rule #1 of Time travel. The changes aren't always this dramatic, but I knew there was no way she was safe just because she appeared in the first issue.

Much as I hated losing her, I'm really glad it wasn't Victor. That would have been such a copout. As for the leaked picture on the internet......

I'm guessing it's a flashback to the team burying Alex, although I don't know how, since his body was incinerated.

The Human Target
07-20-2006, 11:00 AM
My guess is that we probably won't see Chase again for a while. They just brought in Gavin and Karolina, and that kind of fills the gaps made by Chase and Gert.

Xavin.

I don't think BKV understands the powers of the Gavins.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah, his stuff will either happen "off camera" for a few issues, or we'll get little snippets here and there.

Oh, and Ray... what leaked picture?

HomerGator

Besides, Chase will be busy fucking shit up with his TELEPATHIC DINOSAUR, his copy of the Abstract, and his supercool decoder ring. I hope he brings Wilder back to life just to have Old Lace eat him. Then do it again.

Geoffrey Wilder was quite the fucker.

Ray G.

And sets up a new love triangle, because it was made pretty clear last issue that Nico's been rethinking things since she and Karolina last parted, what with the whole sad "Oh. You guys are....still together?" comment.

Someone else picked up on this, right? Because for once, I don't think it's just me being dirty. ;)

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:02 AM
And sets up a new love triangle, because it was made pretty clear last issue that Nico's been rethinking things since she and Karolina last parted, what with the whole sad "Oh. You guys are....still together?" comment.

Someone else picked up on this, right? Because for once, I don't think it's just me being dirty. ;)

No, I picked up on it also.

Now, here's another thing. When Xavin said that he was a runaway, that kicked ass!

The Runaways have a Skrull. Cool.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah, his stuff will either happen "off camera" for a few issues, or we'll get little snippets here and there.

Oh, and Ray... what leaked picture?

There was a Mike Norton picture form issue #19 that had the original five Runaways(Nico, Karolina, Chase, Gert, Molly) burying someone. This was seen as evidence that it was Victor who died this issue.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
There was a Mike Norton picture form issue #19 that had the original five Runaways(Nico, Karolina, Chase, Gert, Molly) burying someone. This was seen as evidence that it was Victor who died this issue.

Aha. Didnt' see that one.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 11:04 AM

Now, here's another thing. When Xavin said that he was a runaway, that kicked ass!

Xavin is awesome. I didn't expect to like him/her, but he/she's a really cool character, and I hope he/she sticks around.

Man, he/she's a bit confusing gender-wise, though. :lol:

Humphrey_Lee
07-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Just read the issue. It was a solid death and yea, kinda the only one that I expected to happen. It has that extra bit of oomph for a particular character and will definitely give he/she a greater direction than they had before. This sets up a lot of shit to hit the fan down the road.

This really is such a great comic.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Xavin is awesome. I didn't expect to like him/her, but he/she's a really cool character, and I hope he/she sticks around.

Man, he/she's a bit confusing gender-wise, though. :lol:

Yeah, definitely confusing. At first I hated him, because he took Karolina away, but now he is cool.

The Human Target
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM

A super fucking skrull.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Let's talk about that full page with Chase holding Gert for a second. Half of the page finished with color, the other half just pencils.

That was fucking awesome!

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
A super fucking skrull.

Heh, yeah - there's that too. Even cooler.

The Human Target
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Let's talk about that full page with Chase holding Gert for a second. Half of the page finished with color, the other half just pencils.

That was fucking awesome!

That was the prettiest/saddest thing ever.

On a funny note, I thought "All your base are belong to the New Pride" was hilarious.

PeteL
07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
That was the prettiest/saddest thing ever.

On a funny note, I thought "All your base are belong to the New Pride" was hilarious.

I want that page as a poster so bad!

That line was hilarious. What's going to happen to those guys and gal? Will they figure into the story anymore?

Cth
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
A super fucking skrull.

With any luck, they'll cross over with the FF and the Runaways will get some burgers and join the Skrull Kill Krew!

The Human Target
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I want that page as a poster so bad!

That line was hilarious. What's going to happen to those guys and gal? Will they figure into the story anymore?

I hope they just don't fade away like Excelsior did.

Jibberwashed
07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't really pay attention to any comic book news, so the cover was the only indicator that I had that this was going to happen. I cried like a baby.

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Probably a flashback to Alex being killed?

Josh!
07-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I thought it was the older Gert.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Probably a flashback to Alex being killed?

Seems likely, it's just odd to have a burial scene since they didn't have a body, and besides they were apprehended by the Avengers immediately when they came out of the lair.

Wierd. We'll see next issue, I guess. Maybe it's a flashback to the time Molly hugged a stray cat a little too hard.

Akira
07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
yes, i would...

God help me, I'm agreeing with you both.:Panic:
Since issue #1 of Vol. 1 Gert has been my absolute favorite character. Both in concept (a realistic looking, smart, funny girl who gets the boy) and in actual usage in the book. I'm gonna miss her :cry:

BUT! Unless it is done in a beautiful, meaningful, serious way, I don't want her to come back. Her death was heroic, and emotional. No need to sully it by bringing her back prematurely or at all. I feel the same way about (Harry Potter Book/Movie #5 spoiler)
Sirius Black. My favorite character in the series bites it in a heroic manner and the death truly affects those around him/her, I don't want a cop out.

Ray G.
07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Since issue #1 of Vol. 1 Gert has been my absolute favorite character. Both in concept (a realistic looking, smart, funny girl who gets the boy) and in actual usage in the book. I'm gonna miss her :cry:

BUT! Unless it is done in a beautiful, meaningful, serious way, I don't want her to come back. Her death was heroic, and emotional. No need to sully it by bringing her back prematurely or at all. I feel the same way about (Harry Potter Book/Movie #5 spoiler)
Sirius Black. My favorite character in the series bites it in a heroic manner and the death truly affects those around him/her, I don't want a cop out.

I'd have to disagree about Sirius. His death almost seemed like an afterthought in the battle. But I don't want to derail this thread. :)

Dreg
07-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Is it the ugly one?

She got ARROWED!! And then MSG'ed!!!

Cth
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I bumped the Molly-may-be-Asgardian thread over at BKV..
http://bkv.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4434&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There's gotta be something there.. too many throw away lines (the shovel, the grabbing Cloak, talking older, etc)

TheTravis!
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM

Totally agreed.

Dermie
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
As for the leaked picture on the internet......

I'm guessing it's a flashback to the team burying Alex, although I don't know how, since his body was incinerated.

Or It is a flashback to the team burying the body of future-Gert

Sy-Klone
07-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I just read this.
I had managed to avoid the spoilers. I knew there'd be a death, but I didn't know who.

Damn.

Now I'm all sad. :(

I love Gert. She's got that whole brainy Velma-from-Scooby-Doo sorta vibe that I dig.

I hate losing her.

Aside from the beautiful full-page rendering of the Gert death scene, my favorite part of the issue: "Why don't you help me drag her fat corpse downstairs?" followed by Chase punching Geoff. Yes! Stand up for the chubby girls!

TheTravis!
07-22-2006, 02:13 PM
The more I think about it, the more dissapointed I am that Chase didn't just kill Wilder.

Ray G.
07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
The more I think about it, the more dissapointed I am that Chase didn't just kill Wilder.

It would have been incredibly satisfying, but would have fucked everything up on a major level.

Although ironically, if he had killed Wilder, Gert would be alive now. Because he wouldn't have been there to kill her in the future from the past.

I think.

My brain hurts.

TheTravis!
07-22-2006, 02:17 PM
It would have been incredibly satisfying, but would have fucked everything up on a major level.

Although ironically, if he had killed Wilder, Gert would be alive now. Because he wouldn't have been there to kill her in the future from the past.

I think.

My brain hurts.

It would have been in character for Chase to a) react without thinking, and b) react with violence.

And I try not to overthink time travel physics. It makes my noggin all sore, too.

glk
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Just a word about editing comic books - was a comic ad for Ricky Bobby really the best thing to put between pages where Gert dies? I thought that was a superbad choice on Marvel's part.

glk
07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
yes, i would...

I agree.

twigglet
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I thought it was really sad :(

It always was going to be though.

Great comic

Ray G.
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Thinking back on it, it's one of only two deaths that would have really advanced the story. The other one being Karolina.

Killing Chase would have done nothing. The team would have grieved, but then they would have moved on.

Killing Nico would have created some interesting dynamics for leadership, and Karolina would have taken it particularly hard, but as Nico actually didn't have very strong ties to anyone on the team right now, it wouldn't have changed things too much.

Killing Molly would have just cast a pall over the book. It might have killed the series.

Victor would have been a cheat. Pure and simple.

Karolina would have been interesting, because then I could see Xavin staying on Earth rather than going back and likely being caught in a war between the two races. The tension between him and Nico would have been very promising.

Overall, I think Vaughan made the right choice, much as I loved Gert. Chase is finally going to get the chance to show who he really is, and I think he's the true character to watch in the next year of the book.