PDA

View Full Version : I just watched Brokeback Mountain for the 2nd time

ihategravity
07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
And I've got to say that, while it's a decent movie, it was incredibly overrated and overhyped. It should not have been critically acclaimed the way it was. It seemed too slow, too jumpy in spots, and I just don't buy the chemistry between the 2 characters (the chemistry thing bugged me the first time I saw the movie in the theatre and continues to bug me).

Discuss.

Bill Nolan
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
The whole "gay thing" gets any movie an automatic base of two stars. So a two-star movie becomes a four-star one if it's deemed "important" by the right people...

- Bill

ihategravity
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
The whole "gay thing" gets any movie an automatic base of two stars. So a two-star movie becomes a four-star one if it's deemed "important" by the right people...

- Bill

Ahhh, the whole "reverse discrimination" thing that is actually just discrimination.

I still like to tease my father-in-law with this movie, though. He's devout republican baptist, and if he starts arguing politics with me, I threaten that I'll turn on Brokeback mountain. He shuts up and starts bitching about the Red Sox.

xyzzy
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I've only seen it once, but I thought it was very good. I guess, according to bnolan that means that I have been brainwashed by the "right people" or something.

Adam Witt
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I watched it, and liked it for the most part, despite the rampant corniness in spots, as well as the jumpy pacing. And that ending was way, way depressing.

Charles Chuck
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
As a student working towards his Phd in Psychodiagnostic Assessment, my first thought is that you have a gay relative and you are bothered when they touch you in a playful manner.

Textbook.

Bill Nolan
07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I've only seen it once, but I thought it was very good. I guess, according to bnolan that means that I have been brainwashed by the "right people" or something.

Nothing wrong with two-star movies...

- Bill

Bill!
07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I watched it with my girlfriend and didn't even notice the whole "gay thing". I just sat and watched it and loved it as a great love story. I dunno, maybe not everyone sees it as just a gay movie, maybe they're a little more progressive than that, you know, seeing people as just people.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I think it's a marvelous film.

However, I can't shake the lingering suspicion that it would have been praised to the Heavens even if it wasn't.

DrMachine
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
it stunk

it was slow and poorly edited

07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
I watched it with my girlfriend and didn't even notice the whole "gay thing". I just sat and watched it and loved it as a great love story. I dunno, maybe not everyone sees it as just a gay movie, maybe they're a little more progressive than that, you know, seeing people as just people.

I love the way you manage to praise the film and paint yourself as morally superior at the same time.

A.Huerta
07-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I havent seen it yet but is it pretty much just another love story but just gay, right?

07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I havent seen it yet but is it pretty much just another love story but just gay, right?

Yeah, it's a great film, and the fact that it's two guys isn't even all that toyched apon, other than the understandable distress their relationship causes their wifes.

Bill!
07-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I love the way you manage to praise the film and paint yourself as morally superior at the same time.

I always hate how people call movies "gay" movies or what have you. I'd like America to get to the point where they don't have to label human stories as about gay people, black people, whatever, and just see it as people. If that's morally superior, then fine. You can be the lesser because I sure as hell don't want to.

Bill Nolan
07-11-2006, 04:03 PM
It's like Romeo & Juliet, but with cattle... and gay sex... and a mountain... and marital infidelity... and Anne Hatheway's boobies... and only half the fatalities.

- Bill

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
07-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Where do you buy your sanctimony? Amazon? Target?

Bill Nolan
07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I always hate how people call movies "gay" movies or what have you. I'd like America to get to the point where they don't have to label human stories as about gay people, black people, whatever, and just see it as people. If that's morally superior, then fine. You can be the lesser because I sure as hell don't want to.

You certainly must have as much of a problem with the leaders on the left in this country in this instance as you do with the folks on the right.

- Bill

07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Like I said, I love the film. I just don't buy into this One World shit where we all feel and act the same. It's a lesson that I've never bought into. The big picture is not that we're all the same. It that we're not, and nine times out of ten, it doesn't matter.

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
07-11-2006, 04:10 PM

Who's the lesser? Somebody who isn't bothered by people's differences or somebody who pretends that they don't exist? The latter school of thought has led to devasting results in some cases.

Again, where do you buy your sanctimony?

TheTravis!
07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I really, really loved that movie.

JamesV
07-11-2006, 04:15 PM

But to be fair we live in an age where the people who make the movies label them as gay movies or black movies.

Hell, the same thing applies to DC's recent diversity line up. National spotlight to Batwoman way before she comes out because she's going to be gay.

Right now it's not about the people in the story for a lot of stories, but about the label the filmmakers put on them, so as long as the creators rush out with the term, I think it only makes sense that people call them that.

As for Brokeback, I thought it was a fine movie, not as good as the short story, but well constructed and well told and well worth seeing.

Taxman
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
I've only seen it once, but I thought it was very good. I guess, according to bnolan that means that I have been brainwashed by the "right people" or something.bnolan, and at least a couple of other guys around here.

Boris the Blade
07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Beautiful, beautiful film. Tops for me last year.

TheTravis!
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Hee-hee. This is the funniest thing I have read all day.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-11-2006, 05:00 PM
i thought it was a really good movie.

Dave Black
07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I have no interest in this movie, not because it's gay , but because it's a love story. If it were about a man and a woman I wouldnt watch it. My co-workers(some are gay) only added to my suspicions when they said it was boring!!!
They said it dragged on and on. I just dont like Ang Lee, he's a boring director. "crouching tiger" was great because of the fight direction done by Yuen woo ping.

dEnny!
07-11-2006, 05:16 PM

"That's why I hired you Jake. You're one of them. You don't see me as a man...you see me as a black man."

http://www.djfl.de/entertainment/stars/s/samuel_l_jackson/samuel_l_jackson_b2.jpg

YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!

dEnny!
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Did you notice the infidelity and destruction of a marriage?

Dave Black
07-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm black and I agree. I really don't like "Black Movies" usually because they're just exploitation. It's like we cant understand a mainstream movie so we need a black version of it. We even get our own commercials because if we didnt I wouldnt know that i shoud be drinking Sprite. Some "black " movies are well done but guess what they're just good movies, not black, just good.With all that said, I still love Shaft!!!;)

Charles Chuck
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM

And they'll do it to your marriage too! That's why we can't have those filthy animals being together, they'll destroy marriage all over America.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM

sure. and it was tragic.

but just because ennis made a bad mistake, doesn't mean he and his wife have to live with it forever. isn't a continued lie worse?

Andrew j
07-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Fantastic movie. Had a serious problem with them cheating on their wives but they paid for it.

dEnny!
07-11-2006, 05:42 PM
sure. and it was tragic.

but just because ennis made a bad mistake, doesn't mean he and his wife have to live with it forever. isn't a continued lie worse?

Well here's where we have sanctity of marriage issues, with a man or a woman you shouldn't cheat on your wife and if you're in love with someone else you shouldn't be marrying this other person. Whole slew of issues, it was tragic, but decisions were made that not only impacted him, but his wife, kids, and the rest of his family and friends. He never really gave his marriage a go of it anyway, which I found disrespectful to his wife...and he never really was happy, he never allowed it; I liked the movie, it had it's flaws, but good movie.

TonyFleecs
07-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I watched it with my girlfriend and didn't even notice the whole "gay thing". I just sat and watched it and loved it as a great love story. I dunno, maybe not everyone sees it as just a gay movie, maybe they're a little more progressive than that, you know, seeing people as just people.I didn't notice the gay angle either.

I invited my ethicnally & sexually diverse group of friends over to my place for a pot-luck dinner & DVD watching party last week. Durring the first sex scene, my friend Louis (a gay spanish guy to others but just a human being to me) leaned over to my friend Muhammed (a bisexual hatian to the bigots, I just call him "Friend") and said, "Man! Look at those two guys go! Those men are really gay fucking it up in that tent!"

Needless to say, I was shocked. Gay?! I hadn't even noticed... All those times I watched that movie I was being open minded & I didn't even know about it.

dEnny!
07-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Okay, no more snide shots at Bill. Thanks. Let's try and be respectful to one another.

Jamie Howdeshell
07-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Well here's where we have sanctity of marriage issues, with a man or a woman you shouldn't cheat on your wife and if you're in love with someone else you shouldn't be marrying this other person. Whole slew of issues, it was tragic, but decisions were made that not only impacted him, but his wife, kids, and the rest of his family and friends. He never really gave his marriage a go of it anyway, which I found disrespectful to his wife...and he never really was happy, he never allowed it; I liked the movie, it had it's flaws, but good movie.

see, i don't get that. what you find to be flaws in the movie, i merely think are mistakes made by the characters in the movie. do the characters always have to do things you agree with?

Andrew j
07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
see, i don't get that. what you find to be flaws in the movie, i merely think are mistakes made by the characters in the movie. do the characters always have to do things you agree with?

Gotta agree. The characters were the ones with flaws not the movie.

A.Huerta
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I didn't notice the gay angle either.

I invited my ethicnally & sexually diverse group of friends over to my place for a pot-luck dinner & DVD watching party last week. Durring the first sex scene, my friend Louis (a gay spanish guy to others but just a human being to me) leaned over to my friend Muhammed (a bisexual hatian to the bigots, I just call him "Friend") and said, "Man! Look at those two guys go! Those men are really gay fucking it up in that tent!"

Needless to say, I was shocked. Gay?! I hadn't even noticed... All those times I watched that movie I was being open minded & I didn't even know about it.

:lol:

silverboy
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I thought it was just pretty good, until Heath Ledger's last scene. That sold the whole movie for me.

emeraldsundae
07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
the first time I saw it, I watched it with my boyfriend

he really liked the movie too, and i enjoyed watching it with him

it's a beautiful love story

TheTravis!
07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Okay, no more snide shots at Bill. Thanks. Let's try and be respectful to one another.

Aww, come ON Denny. Even you have to admit that this:

I didn't notice the gay angle either.

is fucking hysterical.