PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Daredevil... can I have more?

costello
07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I just started taking a professional development class for teachers in Durham, New Hampshire and the main drive behind it is to learn to read and interact with books using alternative methods. Today we were to bring in a favorite hardcover book and in the weeks to come we're going to reread them and turn them into works of art that at the time being I can't really explain... all I can say is I was propelled to bring in my copies of Daredevil 51-55. In fact, that arc inspired me to use The Lovely Bones as my book. I shared the comics with my classmates (men and women between the ages of 25 and 55) and they loved David Mack's artwork.

Other than the Daredevil work w/Bendis and Daredevil 51-55, are there any other texts by David Mack that approaches using a similar style? I bought Kabuki, Circle of Blood, but my class and I are really interested in the pastiche artwork and storytelling.

bairdduvessa
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I just started taking a professional development class for teachers in Durham, New Hampshire and the main drive behind it is to learn to read and interact with books using alternative methods. Today we were to bring in a favorite hardcover book and in the weeks to come we're going to reread them and turn them into works of art that at the time being I can't really explain... all I can say is I was propelled to bring in my copies of Daredevil 51-55. In fact, that arc inspired me to use The Lovely Bones as my book. I shared the comics with my classmates (men and women between the ages of 25 and 55) and they loved David Mack's artwork.

Other than the Daredevil work w/Bendis and Daredevil 51-55, are there any other texts by David Mack that approaches using a similar style? I bought Kabuki, Circle of Blood, but my class and I are really interested in the pastiche artwork and storytelling.yea the next few kabuki books (specifically 3-on)

MACK!
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks, I glad to hear it.

My #1 suggestion to you is the current Kabuki series: KABUKI: The Alchemy.
6 issues out so far.

#2 would be my favorite collection so far: KABUKI: Metamorphosis.

And besides those, there are also 2 other Kabuki collections that are painted and use mix media.
Dreams and Skin Deep.

Please let me know what you think, and give my best to the class!

Thanks!

costello
07-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the help.

MACK!
07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
You can see preview pages of any of the books, at davidmackguide.com

But specifically the painted/mixed media books are:

KABUKI Vol 2- Dreams
KABUKI Vol 4- Skin Deep
KABUKI Vol 5- Metamorphosis

And vol 7 is the current series coming out right now: THE ALCHEMY.

I tend to think it is my best work so far, and shows the widest range in media. With Meta on a similar level.

And both of those would be the closest books to the ECHO DD story in terms of the art approach.

costello
07-15-2006, 08:20 PM
I grabbed #6 Reflections. Your use of watercolors--I don't know if the word crystalline describes it but I just gush when I look at it. It's so heartfelt and pure. I can just stare at the pictures for hours. The book's being passed around from classmate to classmate along with some multiple copies of the DD books. I doubt I'll ever see them again but that's fine. If it means another person getting into comics I'll be happy with that.

I wanted to drop a note and say how cool it is that you responded to the message. I might sound like a fanboy but growing up without the internet celebrities have always seemed "untouchable." It's always been a rare chance to communicate with one, and whenever I have it's always been a quick word in passing. The thank you and suggestions that you wrote got me even more interested in your work and eager to share it with others. It's an honor to support someone who takes the time out to communicate with the fans.

So thanks for the reply. I look forward to building my collection of your work.

One last thing: a woman by the name of Sandy Bernat came to our class to show us some of the altered books her students created when she taught middle school. She's dedicated her life now to creating various forms of paper and it's really quite beautiful. Some of her work is even in one of the Smithsonians. I'm not sure if it's a medium you could work with or not, but I thought you might be interested.