PDA

View Full Version : Reflections #6 this Wednesday!

MACK!
07-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Reflections #6 this Wednesday!

48 pages of lots and lots of never before seen things!

Let me know what you think.

And let me know if you'd like to see a Reflections #7.

HotRob
07-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Awesome David, will do!!

jccheung
07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi David & friends,

It's been awhile since I've last posted here. I hope that everything has been well with everybody. I just picked up "Reflections #6" after work today and as always, I really enjoyed it. I loved being able to see the early or preliminary versions of the various covers and pages, of what could have been and what has become.

I can't say that I am or ever was a fan of Lucy Lawless (sorry fans of hers, I just never got into her, I don't like or dislike her, just indifferent) but I loved all the pieces of her in the book, especially that stunning watercolour portrait as it's absolutely gorgeous. If a print was available for sale, I'd definitely buy it. I also enjoyed the pages on her multi-panel family totem painting. I can only imagine how amazing and detailed that it must look when viewing it in person.

Also, I think that you could totally create a comic strip or digest sized stories on "girl with balloon head". That would sell like hotcakes, plus think of the merchandising opportunities! T-shirts, dolls, actual balloons. The possibilities are endless. :)

My one and only gripe though in regards to this issue is the Canadian cover price of $9.50 Canadian! Holy moly, those Marvel guys are really putting the screws to Canadians charging a 58%(!) exchange rate when the actual rate these days has been hovering between 12-15% for the past 6 months and it hasn't been 58% since 2002! I know Joe Quesada has said that Canadians should be seeing some relief in August but I have a feeling that it's still not going to be close to today's current rates. I'm just thankful that my local comic store's membership program allows for a 20% discount or else I'd have to seriously reduce the number of monthlies that I purchase. Sorry for the rant.

However, I must say that I am already looking forward to "Reflections #7", but first "Alchemy #7", please. :)

Mike Storniolo
07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Another great issue, I like a lot of the sketch studies and self-portraits, and hell, amazing stuff with busted doors and cabinets. A lot of good pieces, definitley interesting methods which is great to see, considering how few people there are around doing things like it... didn't know you did live art with Crosland and Mahfood, that had to be a hell of a show, wish they'd come over to the east coast.

I'd be down for #7, I think Reflections would make a killer extended volume of "sketchbooks" if you want to call them that....

Pat Loika
07-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Another excellent book, David. Loved seeing all those sketches, particularly the Alias and Echo stuff. Great pics from the Live Art show in Texas, too.

P.

tdaniel
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I discovered the existence of Reflections while hunting on eBay. Bought #5 and devoured it, then shared it with my wife. Equally as inspiring as the current Alchemy arc that's for sure. Love seeing the progressions and varitions. Love the experimentation and accompanying commentary. #6 was just as amazing as #5. The process breakdowns are instructive, but could go into deeper detail I suppose, but I'm being picky as the pictures illustrate the process just as well. Maybe even more of your comments about specific peices or riffing on the ideas raised in Kabuki. Please continue this series and I hope it catches on at some point for other creators.

antithesis
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey David,

Thanks for continuing to put out these Reflections books. I would definitely love to see more of them!

Highlights for me in this issue were seeing the Wolverine and White Tiger stuff! I also enjoyed seeing the Jessica Jones/Alias covers at early stages, and of course, the cover to The Alchemy #5, one of my favourites of your works.

My roommate thinks you put out the most visually appealing stuff in comic form. Yesterday she brought some of her family over and they all had a flip through of your recent Reflections volumes.

As for the cover price, yeah, it hurts. I hear Marvel will be adjusting their prices soon, but haven't heard a date. Regardless, I'll be picking these up even if i have to cut back on other things (like TPB spending :-P).

Who knows if I'll ever make it to a con when you are there, but I'd love to buy prints of your work, and even a commission sketch (if you do them).

Last week I also got a hold of the AP Kabuki Mini-bust! It's awesome! I'm going to put it on my desk at work. :-) I wish I could afford that statue.. maybe soon.

Jeff

the last ronin
07-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey David. long time no type.

Anyways the book was good, I have to agree with JCCheung that the $9.50 cover price is just crazy. I almost didn't bother getting it.
If you could, could you talk to Marvel about that exchange rate thing.

Overall I liked the book, but it felt like a bit of the same kind of stuff. Personally I would like to see something really different in Reflections. It's hard to say what, but something else.
Thanks,
Ted.

kubiak
07-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow!

magz
07-14-2006, 12:47 PM
will be picking this up today...

will let you know by the weekend...

Eric Williams
07-15-2006, 12:49 PM
This was my first Reflections book, and given the cover price, it was a big investment (for me, anyways). However, it was worth every single penny. It was very intruiging and special to get a look at the process for some of your work. I especially liked seeing the development of the new Wolverine novel's cover (which looks fantastic in the end). I appreciated this book for the small development sketches and doodles that are usually omitted from these types of books.

I don't know what else I can say. Excellent work, and I do believe this has crushed my tedious artist's block. Looking forward to the next one.