PDA

View Full Version : Canadian National Comic Book Expo '06

ElectricMuse
07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi David,

Davidmackguide.com mentions that Canadian National Comic Book Expo and DragonCon are on the same weekend. A few friends and I would like to get tickets for the Toronto con but only for the day that you'll be there. Any updates on which one you'll be at and on what day(s)?

Thanks,
Talya

Jason Truong
07-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm also wondering about this too.

magenta
08-04-2006, 03:13 PM
i'm wondering this same thing! i'll be there all three days, but i'm planning a simple kabuki costume, and want to wear it the day you'll be there, if you'll be there at all.

magenta
08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi David,

Davidmackguide.com mentions that Canadian National Comic Book Expo and DragonCon are on the same weekend. A few friends and I would like to get tickets for the Toronto con but only for the day that you'll be there. Any updates on which one you'll be at and on what day(s)?

Thanks,
Talya

according to the FanExpo site, he's cancelled. So looks like he'll be at Dragon*Con instead. *tear* i was really looking forward to seeing him in toronto. maybe next year. it's been 2 years since i've seen him at a con in toronto.

MACK!
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi Magenta and friends,

I really really really want to go back to Toronto again and wanted to do this show.
Unfortunately, when I agreed to do it, I didn't know it had changed its date to the date of Dragon Con which I had already previously agreed to attend.

And Andy Lee has always been my co-ride to this show, and when he realized it was the same date as Atlanta Dragon Con, he realized he was definitely doing Dragon con as he lives in Atlanta.

It was great to hear that you were looking forward to seeing me in Toronto, so I really want to return, and I hope to do so next year. This show is a huge show and incredibly busy and fun and I was looking forward to signing in Toronto with Bendis again.

During the Chicago show I talked to Aman who runs the Expo, and discussed it with him before announcing anything publicly.
I apologize for the double booking, and I hope to attend next year if possible.

jccheung
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh, David. You have broken my heart. :cry: Hopefully you'll come back to Toronto for next year's Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon (June 8-10, 2007) or Comic Book Expo (August 24-26, 2007).

Eric Williams
08-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Darn!
I was really, really, really looking forward to meeting you and Andy...tsk.
Ah well...next year I guess.

who cares?
08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
:(

and here i was looking forward to seeing you again and maybe getting some Kabuki prints from you....

oh well, here's hoping for next year!

kevin.johns
09-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I too was hoping to see David at the Expo. I still managed to have fun anyway, despite his absence, the huge crowds and long line ups.

There were lots of people attending in costumes, including two girls in full Kabuki garb. One was dressed as Kabuki and the other was Scarab (I think it was Scarab, I only caught a glimpse of them through a crowd.)

So even though David Mack wasn't there, you can all rest assured that Kabuki was well represented!

MACK!
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I too was hoping to see David at the Expo. I still managed to have fun anyway, despite his absence, the huge crowds and long line ups.

There were lots of people attending in costumes, including two girls in full Kabuki garb. One was dressed as Kabuki and the other was Scarab (I think it was Scarab, I only caught a glimpse of them through a crowd.)

So even though David Mack wasn't there, you can all rest assured that Kabuki was well represented!

Someone please post some photos of the Kabuki costumes!

And let us know more info of how the con went.
Looking forward to seeing all of you in Toronto in the future.

kevin.johns
09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
The convention was good. My sister's band was playing in Ottawa, where I live, on Friday night, so we headed out Saturday morning (on three hours sleep) and got to the convention around noon. I have been to the Expo a couple of times before, but not for the last few years.

They had the convention in different hall than the one it was held in the years I attended. I'm not sure if it was the change of location, or just the fact that more people were attending than in the past, but the place was just packed and - at times - chaos. Saturday morning, after standing in a long line to buy tickets, we headed downstairs only to discover an even bigger line just to get into the hall with all the retailers in it! Around lunchtime, the little snack bar outside of the hall was almost completely out of food. At one point, they resorted to cutting hotdogs in half and putting them in hamburger buns! It seems like they were totally unprepared for the numbers.

The overpopulation made for a less than stellar shopping experience. I actually left Saturday night without having bought a single book. The crowds were so overwhelming and I was convinced that if my fiancť and I got separated, we might not find each other again, so I spent as much time trying to keep an eye on her as I did looking at comics.

One of the most interesting experiences at the convention was comparing the Marvel Civil War panel with the DC Big Guns panel.

The Marvel panel began with Bendis in the audience, pretending to be an angry fan, who was mad at Marvel for killing Alpha Flight. I've read some criticism of this little routine online, but anyone who was there knows that it was very funny, good spirited, and set a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere for the rest of the panel.

I'm particularly interested in the phenomenon of books shipping late and the shift in the superhero industry away from monthly shipping titles. I figured that the Civil War panel was a good place to start a discussion on the topic, so I asked about Civil War shipping late and Marvel's approach to springing it on retailers and fans at the last minute. To my surprise, C.B. Cebulski responded by saying something along the lines of "none of us are Marvel employees, so we don't know anything about that". Bendis then directed me to some sites like Newsarama where it had already been addressed. I was a little surprised by their unwillingness to discuss the topic, which I thought EVERYONE was going to be asking about, but as it turned out, I was the only one there who thought that the delay was even worth mentioning.

Anyway, the panel went well and all of the Marvel guys were funny and interesting. They answered many silly questions and everyone had a good time.

The DC panel the next day, on the other hand, was like a funeral. Geoff Johns, Ethan Van Scriver, a Terry Dodson were deadly serious and often provided only one or two word answers to the audiencesí questions. Even when Jim Lee showed up half-way through, he was barely able to lighten the mood. Unlike the fun Marvel panel, at the DC panel there was an ominous sense to the whole thing. It made me kind of want to make a break for the door twenty minutes in!

Again I tried to breach the topic of non-monthly superhero comic books. I pointed out that Johns was working on 52, a series predicated on being released on time, where as Dodson was working on Wonder Woman, which is clearly never going to be a monthly book. I asked what their thoughts were on this trend of moving away from tight schedules. Johns said "Itís called 52, so we have to ship on time, so we will". Dodson said, "WW will be bi-monthly". Then Van Scriver Ė some what defensively it appeared - asked me "Well, what about bi-monthly books? Would you buy that?" I was much more interested in what these guys had to say about, rather than vocalizing my own thoughts, but before I knew it that was that and they were on to the next question.

I've really been digging a lot of what DC has been doing lately, and not buying too many Marvel books, but man if I ever had a choice between having Geoff Johns do PR for my company or Brian Bendis, I sure wouldn't be choosing Geoff Johns! The Marvel panel was a breath of fresh air, the DC panelÖ not so much.

All in all, I had a pretty good time. I guess by the end of the convention I had learned that it really isn't the place for any serious sort of discussion about the industry or the future of the medium. Itís much more just about hyping what's coming out in the next year and having a good time.

Bendis did give an excellent talk about writing on Sunday, which was definitely one of the high-lights of the weekend, and was applicable to all writers, not just comic book writers.

Not that I'm an art comic snob (I like superheroes a lot) but I couldn't help but wonder, "Donít Seth and Chester Brown BOTH live in Toronto? Why can I barely find their books here, let alone them?!"

So yeah. That was the Expo. Unfortunately, I didnít have my camera with me so I wasnít able to get any pictures of Kabuki and Scarab.

Jason Truong
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Not that I'm an art comic snob (I like superheroes a lot) but I couldn't help but wonder, "Donít Seth and Chester Brown BOTH live in Toronto? Why can I barely find their books here, let alone them?!"

Because this is more of a mass media show, dealing with more mainstream stuff (ie, their books). Also, The Beguiling was not exhibiting there, so the easiest place to find their work, was not there). Seth and Chester Brown seem to be more low-key (though very, VERY talented). You'll probably have a better chance seeing them at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival, which is set to take place near the summer of 2007 (it's a bi-yearly thing).

Eric Williams
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
I actually had a picture of me with the girl dressed as Kabuki...but it got erased from my camera! I was quite upset, because her costume was awesome. Hopefully someone else got a pic...