PDA

View Full Version : JMS let slip at herocon that he is writing Thor series

Juggernaut
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Take it for what it's worth,don't know how valid this is.

http://p206.ezboard.com/fmarvelmasterworksfansitefrm1.showMessage?topicID= 6522.topic

Humphrey_Lee
07-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I think that could be pretty well assumed from his current FF run anyways.

Briomega
07-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I think that could be pretty well assumed from his current FF run anyways.

Yep. Works for me. I just want Thor back and JMS did a great job setting it up, so I have no worries if he was doing this.

Fake Pat
07-09-2006, 01:46 PM
just like one of the posters said in that link, jms books tend to live or die by the artist (at least in my opinion). so toss a good artist on it (jrjr), and we'll be all set.

Juggernaut
07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I like JMS as a writer but I thought Marvel was gonna bring in someone from the outside to write Thor.

Foolish Mortal
07-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Not a total shock. I had an inkling it might be him because of Thor seeming to make his return in Fantastic Four, which he writes.

Foolish Mortal
07-09-2006, 01:52 PM
just like one of the posters said in that link, jms books tend to live or die by the artist (at least in my opinion). so toss a good artist on it (jrjr), and we'll be all set.
Hey, bring back Ron Frenz. There was nothing wrong with him.

Vonn Hennigar
07-09-2006, 01:53 PM
No problems here, aside from some very questionable decisions on Amazing Spider-Man, JMS is solid as a rock. Even his Bad stuff still has plenty of good elements sprinkled throughout.

Give him an A-List Artist...Gary Frank perhaps? and Thor should soar.

RODGER
07-09-2006, 01:55 PM
yay

more JMS is always more gooder!!!

Brad N.
07-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I thought there was a strong rumor that Ellis was going to write Thor. Oh well, I love Thor and can't wait to see him back in the 616 and JMS is solid, so it should be good.

Michael John Wheeler
07-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I would have liked to have seen Oeming write the Thor series. His Thor stuff is the only 616 Thor that I've liked.

Hopefully with this reboot, Thor will no longer speak with a Shakespearian accent.

Guirk the Thudner
07-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Ugh. I was really pulling for Ellis or Millar on this series. We alll knew it was gonna be a big name, but to me he's the weakest creativley of any of the superstars. He characterizes well, but his conflicts are just bleh. I would love if he did a nice 6-12 issue run and handed the book to someone else. Hopefully a great artist will give this book a solid start.

SteveFlack
07-09-2006, 02:31 PM
This just in: Steve not to read Thor series.

-Steve!

Ray G.
07-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Eh....

I'll give it a look. :mistrust:

RebootedCorpse
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
JMS is pretty spotty. He's done some great stuff and some unreadable dreck. Wait and see, I guess.

John Drake
07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
JMS is pretty spotty. He's done some great stuff and some unreadable dreck. Wait and see, I guess.

To me it's something like "JMS is pretty spotty. He's done some great stuff, and some not-so-good stuff."

I hope this falls under great, since the Thor relaunch should be big and open with a quality arc. I nominate Steve McNiven as artist! (This should be out after Civil War, I'm guessing).

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree. I would be VERY happy indeed if John Romita, Jr were on the book.

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I loved his and DeFalco's Thor back in the day.

RebootedCorpse
07-09-2006, 02:57 PM
To me it's something like "JMS is pretty spotty. He's done some great stuff, and some not-so-good stuff."
Didn't he do the "Gwen fucked Norman Osborn, but not Peter Parker" story line?
That was bad. REAL bad.

Humphrey_Lee
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Didn't he do the "Gwen fucked Norman Osborn, but not Peter Parker" story line?
That was bad. REAL bad.

The "new Molten Man" story right after was pretty unnecessary too. As has been about 2/3rds of his FF run. But he's still in the more good than bad category I'd say, so it's enough I give him the benefit of the doubt still.

Ravengregory
07-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I was hoping for Ellis too. But JMS knows how to launch a good book.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I call bullshit 'till we get info from a more reliable source. Still crossing my fingers for Ellis.

Oh, and anyone who thinks Millar should be writing this is completely nuts. You want ultimate Thor? Fine, go kiss his hippie Alan Moore ass. But that ain't MU Thor by a long shot.

Ethan Van Sciver
07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Thor sucks. Fuck the rainbow bridge.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 03:17 PM

I'd still love to see you draw him, though. :)

Guirk the Thudner
07-09-2006, 03:17 PM
dude you like plastic man. glass houses.

Vonn Hennigar
07-09-2006, 03:18 PM

This from the guy who thinks Plastic Man is cool?

Guirk the Thudner
07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
also, i agree about mcniven. jrjr's great but he already did a long run.

Guirk the Thudner
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
This from the guy who thinks Plastic Man is cool?

JINX!!

Patrick J
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Eh... I was hoping it was gonna be Gaiman writing it... oh well :-?

Juggernaut
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM

Thor sucks? Superman wasn't even worthy to lift his hammer under normal circumstances.

King of Mars
07-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Disappointing. In a relatively short amount of time, JMS has gone from being the sort of writer whose work I automatically bought to being the type of writer whose work I tend to avoid. He's a perfect example of a writer whose stories are hurt by a decompressed, writing for trades style.

Ethan Van Sciver
07-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Thor sucks? Superman wasn't even worthy to lift his hammer under normal circumstances.

??????????????????????????

Kefky
07-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Disappointing. In a relatively short amount of time, JMS has gone from being the sort of writer whose work I automatically bought to being the type of writer whose work I tend to avoid. He's a perfect example of a writer whose stories are hurt by a decompressed, writing for trades style.

You know what? Right now, there's 80% chance this is just a silly rumor.

How does it feel to have written a long-winded rant for no good reason?

Guirk the Thudner
07-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Nah I bet its legit. The FF arc is a pretty strong hint.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Nah I bet its legit. The FF arc is a pretty strong hint.

But that's ALL YOU HAVE. And he'll probably show up in the main civil war series too, which would make Millar just as likely.

Matt Jay
07-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I hope its "Supreme Power" JMS and not "AMS" JMS. Granted, aside from Oeming's run I've never been into Thor, but the potential is there.

King of Mars
07-09-2006, 03:53 PM
You know what? Right now, there's 80% chance this is just a silly rumor.

How does it feel to have written a long-winded rant for no good reason?Long-winded? It's three sentences, one of which is made up of a single word. Took, like, a minute to type. How the fuck long does it take you to write/read something if you consider THAT long-winded?

Also, your post in response was almost the same length. What exactly was your "good reason" for that "long-winded" retort?

Briomega
07-09-2006, 03:54 PM
But that's ALL YOU HAVE. And he'll probably show up in the main civil war series too, which would make Millar just as likely.

Seems stronger than the Ellis rumor which seemed like it was pulled out of thin air.

King of Mars
07-09-2006, 03:54 PM
But that's ALL YOU HAVE. And he'll probably show up in the main civil war series too, which would make Millar just as likely.No, because Millar has said he's taking a long period off after Civil War.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Long-winded? It's three sentences, one of which is made up of a single word. Took, like, a minute to type. How the fuck long does it take you to write/read something if you consider THAT long-winded?

Also, your post in response was almost the same length. What exactly was your "good reason" for that "long-winded" retort?

A rant is a rant is a rant! :blah:

Seems stronger than the Ellis rumor which seemed like it was pulled out of thin air.

Quesada spreading false hints in joe friday's is STILL more reliable than some stupid fanboy saying he heard something in some con. Specially when you consider the forum that it was posted in.

No, because Millar has said he's taking a long period off after Civil War.

My point stands. Just because he's being kick-started in one book doesn't mean the regular writer from that book will write him.

King of Mars
07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
A rant is a rant is a rant! :blah:

Quesada spreading false hints in joe friday's is STILL more reliable than some stupid fanboy saying he heard something in some con. Specially when you consider the forum that it was posted in.Who cares? Every discussion we have here has to be based on cold, hard facts?

Kefky
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Who cares? Every discussion we have here has to be based on cold, hard facts?

Naaah. I was just trying to keep a lid on the public hysteria here. :grope:

Briomega
07-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Quesada spreading false hints in joe friday's is STILL more reliable than some stupid fanboy saying he heard something in some con. Specially when you consider the forum that it was posted in. .

Agreed. Though, that rumor seemed to come from a comment that people somehow turned into Ellis being on Thor when there wasn't much of anything there.

I agree with the intent that anything should really wait until a confirmation, though.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Agreed. Though, that rumor seemed to come from a comment that people somehow turned into Ellis being on Thor when there wasn't much of anything there.

I agree with the intent that anything should really wait until a confirmation, though.

"Not anything there" is a bit of an exageration. Quesada was basically saying about how things have been going great with the avengers line, citing each book and their respective creative team, and then said something among the lines of "and there's there Warren Ellis on.... ooops, did I say that?". Seems like a pretty obvious hint to Thor. Of course, it COULD be a false hint.

Briomega
07-09-2006, 04:44 PM
"Not anything there" is a bit of an exageration. Quesada was basically saying about how things have been going great with the avengers line, citing each book and their respective creative team, and then said something among the lines of "and there's there Warren Ellis on.... ooops, did I say that?". Seems like a pretty obvious hint to Thor. Of course, it COULD be a false hint.

Not really. The question mentioned Thor in a list of marvel heroes, not Quesada. He mentioned Ellis but putting Thor and Ellis together was a huge stretch.

Thudpucker
07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm just hoping that it's not the same old Thor coming back, it would be a real shame to blow this chance to do something great. Ellis I would have loved on the book, JMS not as much. But I'm still excited to see what they have in store.

Justin.Strange
07-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Thor = yay
616 Thor = boo

Michael John Wheeler
07-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Is JMS still involved in any television any more? He has an awful lot of comics in the works...

Amazing
FF
Squadron Supreme
The Spidey mini with Quesada
The Surfer mini in the works
3 issues of Ultimate Power

And possibly Thor now. Is he still doing Icon work?

Briomega
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Is JMS still involved in any television any more? He has an awful lot of comics in the works...

Amazing
FF
Squadron Supreme
The Spidey mini with Quesada
The Surfer mini in the works
3 issues of Ultimate Power

And possibly Thor now. Is he still doing Icon work?

Book of Lost Souls

Kefky
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Not really. The question mentioned Thor in a list of marvel heroes, not Quesada. He mentioned Ellis but putting Thor and Ellis together was a huge stretch.

Eh, I must've missed that one, but I'm pretty sure my story happened, unless I hallucinated it. :p

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm just hoping that it's not the same old Thor coming back, it would be a real shame to blow this chance to do something great. Ellis I would have loved on the book, JMS not as much. But I'm still excited to see what they have in store.
"Same old Thor" IS "something great".

Briomega
07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Eh, I must've missed that one, but I'm pretty sure my story happened, unless I hallucinated it. :p

Heh, I had to go back and check to be sure. :D

Briomega
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM

Well, it won't be the same as the last one since the human persona will be different. Hopefully, given who it will be, we'll get a more classic take with some new stuff thrown in.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 04:54 PM

I hope it's different too, but it has to be something firmed on nordic mythology. There's PLENTY of interesting ways of doing that. Down-to-earth MU Thor would stink.

YouStayClassy
07-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I would be all over this like (insert generic metaphor here).

I would LOVE to see JrJr and JMS reunite on this book.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I would be all over this like (insert generic metaphor here).

I would LOVE to see JrJr and JMS reunite on this book.

Keeping in mind though, he's STILL coming back for ASM after the eternals. He confirmed this in an interview about the sentry mini a while back.

We all know the man could do two books a month at the same time if he wanted to, but I'm just sayin'. :)

YouStayClassy
07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Keeping in mind though, he's STILL coming back for ASM after the eternals. He confirmed this in an interview about the sentry mini a while back.

We all know the man could do two books a month at the same time if he wanted to, but I'm just sayin'. :)

YESSSS!!!!! I totally missed that interview. I always remember him saying he was going to come back, but that was such a long time ago....

Hate_Prime
07-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Great, now we'll see Odin impregnated by a frost giant and there'll be twin Frostodins running around trying to kill Thor.

Briomega
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Great, now we'll see Odin impregnated by a frost giant and there'll be twin Frostodins running around trying to kill Thor.

Thanks for spoiling the first arc.

Allen Y
07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
:lol:

We can now officially end the Sins Past jokes.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Sadly, I know that you're being serious when you say that, but I still like to see it as your usual lovely brand of dry humor.

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 05:09 PM
:lol:

We can now officially end the Sins Past jokes.
No.

wh park
07-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man when JMS first started writing it but I found it got to a point where the things that were happening to Spidey were not to my liking so I've dropped it.

I will say I love his FF run so far and based on that I'm looking forward to Thor if he is indeed writing it.

YouStayClassy
07-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Not to defend Sins Past at all, but JMS did say he wanted Peter to be the father of the kids. Editorial wasn't hearing it. It still would have been goofy, but nothing at all like it turned out being...

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Not to defend Sins Past at all, but JMS did say he wanted Peter to be the father of the kids. Editorial wasn't hearing it. It still would have been goofy, but nothing at all like it turned out being...
I've read that as well.

Sins Past would have been much better that way than say, 'The Other' storyline.

YouStayClassy
07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I've read that as well.

Sins Past would have been much better that way than say, 'The Other' storyline.

Quite so. I wonder how much of the Other was JMS' idea?

Foolish Mortal
07-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Now I know this is going to seem like an incredibly huge presumption on my part, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that you will not be the artist on the new Thor book. Am I just completely off base here?

EximiusVir
07-09-2006, 06:55 PM
does this mean he'll finally leave Amazing, and let Loeb take over??

TheTravis!
07-09-2006, 08:27 PM

Personally, I was looking forward to the storyline where it was revealed that Jane Foster fucked Loki.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Personally, I was looking forward to the storyline where it was revealed that Jane Foster fucked Loki.

Sheesh, if you're gonna use a cliched joke, can't you at least put some effort into it? That kinda lazyness is just painful to see, man.

TheTravis!
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Sheesh, if you're gonna use a cliched joke, can't you at least put some effort into it? That kinda lazyness is just painful to see, man.

Lazy? I used a Jane Foster reference! THAT is hard work, bubba. Anybody can make the Odin joke. I went old school.

J. R. Scherer
07-09-2006, 09:06 PM
That could work. Loki is a trickster god, after all. Hell, I could buy Gwen Stacy sleeping with Loki.

Masculine Todd
07-09-2006, 09:15 PM
The largest complaint against JMS is Sluts Past and The Other, both Spidey-related blunders. One of them was editorial-driven. The other? Just bad, but JMS has done such great work.

Supreme Power was so good, it was slightly overlooked (odd, huh). Definitely this generation's Watchmen.

Midnight Nation is one of the best comics to be produced in the last ten years.

Rising Stars is phenomenal, the first three years on Amazing Spider-Man were just that.

JMS is a solid, if not spectacular, scribe and I'm comfortable with Thor being handed over to him.

HomerGator
07-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Damn right! Frenz did some awesome Spidey stuff.

Slamevil
07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
does this mean he'll finally leave Amazing, and let Loeb take over??

I thought that immediately. We know Loeb is doing Spider-Man and I'd hate to see a 4th monthly added when Loeb/J Scott Campbell on Amazing would be well Amazing.

I've never been into Thor so am not sure if I'd pick this up. I kinda dig JMS, loving Superem Power/Squadron Supreme and Book Of Lost Souls has completely surprised me. I've been picking up the FF Civil War stuff so may get the Thor relaunch as well.

Kefky
07-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I remember him mentioning that he'll be staying on ASM for a while after civil war ends, so no dice there...

Hate_Prime
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Lazy? I used a Jane Foster reference! THAT is hard work, bubba. Anybody can make the Odin joke. I went old school.

If it's any consolation, I appreciate your genius.

John Drake
07-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I remember him mentioning that he'll be staying on ASM for a while after civil war ends, so no dice there...

Hm... Fantastic Four, Squadron Supreme, Amazing Spider-Man, Book of Lost Souls, part of Ultimate Power, PLUS Thor?

Yeah, maybe he isn't writing it? I can't see him writing so many books.

Kman00001
07-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I was hoping for Mike Oeming and Gary Frank.

Or Neil Gaiman and Simone Bianchi.

I'll pass on this book if the rumor is true. :sad:

WinterRose
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
For that matter... I liked the idea that Oeming was gonna write it, with new asgardians spawned from the fallen relics of asgard. I hope he remembers Dani Moonstar in his writings. Don't lemme down Joe. I'm beggin' ya.

TheTravis!
07-10-2006, 04:53 AM
If it's any consolation, I appreciate your genius.

That is because you are my homeboy. :)

Mister Mets
07-10-2006, 06:10 AM
I hope he does a great job, and makes a worthy relaunch.

J. R. Scherer
07-10-2006, 07:54 AM
For that matter... I liked the idea that Oeming was gonna write it, with new asgardians spawned from the fallen relics of asgard. I hope he remembers Dani Moonstar in his writings. Don't lemme down Joe. I'm beggin' ya.
I always liked that she was an honorary Valkyrie.

Joshzilla
07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
The reason Thor's been gone is that he was pregnant with Norman Osbourne's baby. Don't worry, JMS will handle it well...