PDA

View Full Version : New Companion for The Doctor...

mike black
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
(Since it was briefly overlooked in the "Doctor Who Questions" Thread...)

Hunh.

Image on A Brief History of Time of Tennant's Third Season...

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/serials/future.jpg

Holy shit. They anounced this on thursday.

Word from the BBC today... actress Freema Agyeman will join David Tennant in the TARDIS in the first regular episode of Series Three in 2007 as the Doctor's new companion, Martha Jones. Read all about the breaking news story on the Outpost Gallifrey News Page, including the full BBC press release.

From Doctor Who Magazine...

The Doctor's new companion Freema Agyeman gives her first interview to Doctor Who Magazine:

"My agent got a call saying that they wanted me to audition for a regular in Torchwood, and I was so up for it. So I went for an audition in London. But I had to miss the second audition, cos I got sick for a week in January. It was really awful. I was so upset. But then they said that they'd reschedule it. And then, just before the third audition, I got a call from my agent. She said, 'All this time, they've been seeing you for the part of the new companion in Doctor Who, not for a regular in Torchwood!' I couldn't believe it!

"David Tennant was just a dream. He was so supportive. He was like, 'We can do the scene as many times as you want.' And the night before that audition, he'd left a little note under my door at the hotel. I went out to dinner with the casting director, and I came back and there was a little note just, you know, so encouraging. These people aren't here to put barriers in my way, so I was able to walk in there like I'd walk into a room of friends..."

Also this issue, DWM takes a ringside seat for the battle of the century - it's Daleks versus Cybermen! including an interview with Torchwood boss Tracy-Ann Oberman, and all the on-set gossip. James Strong presents the second half of his thrilling production diary on filming The Impossible Planet; an A-Z of Fear, chronicling the making of recent episode Fear Her; and the start of an exciting brand new comic strip adventure for the Doctor and Rose - The Futurists.

Plus, if that wasn't enough! Your chance to vote for your favourites of the latest series; DWM pays tribute to 1960s Doctor Who producer Peter Bryant who passed away recently; the Matrix Data Bank is put on trial by the Time Lords; and the Time Team reach the end of Tom Baker's tenure as the Doctor. Not forgetting all the latest news, reviews and previews... with a few other surprises along the way!

DWM 372 is on sale from Thursday 20 July.

The Press Release:

After several weeks of speculation and early reports on the Internet today, later confirmed in a BBC press release leaked nearly a day before it was due to be officially presented, Freema Agyeman will join the cast of Doctor Who in its third season as new companion Martha Jones, sidekick to the current Doctor, David Tennant. Agyeman recently guest starred as Adeola, one of the Torchwood desk jockeys in "Army of Ghosts," but will return to the series for the completely different role (much in the same way first season guest star Eve Myles will be doing so in the spinoff series "Torchwood").

Agyeman's involvement in Doctor Who as a new companion was first reported by The Sun in a June 16 news report, obviously now a leak of the information during what was likely a very quiet audition process. Said the report two weeks ago in the Sun, "The highlight of Freema's career so far has been playing seductress Lola Wise in doomed ITV soap Crossroads in 2001. She said: 'I loved playing Lola. She was an 18-year-old girl with a lot of angst. She wanted to sleep with all the boys and have fun.' The Londoner, who left Middlesex University with a BA Honours degree in Performing Arts and Design, also appeared in Casualty, The Bill and Silent Witness. Last night a BBC source said: 'Freema is a fantastic actress. She is great in the final episode. And she is more than capable of stepping into Billie's shoes to play the Doctor's new cohort. No one knew Billie could act before we gave her the job and she has proved to be a sensation.' Freema, who also studied at Radford University in Virginia in America, could join the Timelord in new adventures..."

Agyeman will be seen in the first regular episode of the new season and not the Christmas special, as confirmed in the press release which quotes executive producer Russell T Davies as saying, "We've got another surprise in store for that." There are currently rumors of special guest actors in that episode, possibly debuting as early as the end of this year's season finale (but not yet confirmed).

The press release is below, which confirms Agyeman's status as a companion in the third series. The official Doctor Who website also has a news piece on this, and features a small gallery of images with Agyeman and Tennant.

Also reported, so far, at BBC News, the Daily Mail (which says that this is the Doctor's "first black assistant," forgetting about Mickey last year), the Independent, icWales, CBBC News, The Times, The Scotsman, The Guardian, ITV, Reuters. More news media reports soon.
Newcomer Freema Agyeman is confirmed to play Martha Jones, the new companion to Doctor Who, it was announced today by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning.

Doctor Who fans have already met Agyeman as Adeola in episode 12 of the current series of Doctor Who but, as viewers will have seen last Saturday evening, this character suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the Cybermen.

Freema will be playing a brand new character in series three.

Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies says: "The search for a new companion had been underway for some time when I first saw Freema Agyeman, she had come in to audition for the part of Adeola in series two.

"Watching her during filming confirmed what an exciting new talent she was, so under cover of darkness we called her back in to audition with David for the role of the new companion.

"It was an immediate and sensational combination, and her range, presence and charm blew us all away.

"David and Freema are terrific together, and we're delighted to have chosen her to join the Doctor for more adventures in time and space.

"The first scripts have been written, and Martha's a brilliant addition to the Tardis crew, the perfect foil for the Doctor.

"Martha won't be featured in this year's Christmas special; we've got another surprise in store for that."

Freema Agyeman says: "I've been keeping this secret from my friends for months - it's been driving me mad!

"Auditioning with David in secret down in Cardiff was unbelievable, but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd actually become the new companion.

"Billie rightfully built up an amazing fan base and she will be missed, but I hope the fans are willing to go on new adventures with me.

"It still hasn't quite sunk in, I'm sure it will slam home first day on set when I'm stood gazing at David Tennant!"

David Tennant adds: "Freema was a joy to work with in episode 12 of the current series. She is not only very talented and very beautiful, she's great fun and I'm delighted she's coming on board the TARDIS full time.

"I can't wait to welcome her into the Who family."

Freema Agyeman is 27 years old and was born and brought up in London.

A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special begins filming in Cardiff in the summer for transmission on BBC ONE.

Doctor Who is a BBC Wales production for BBC ONE.

Pictures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/martha/800/5.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/martha/800/4.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/martha/800/3.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/martha/800/2.jpg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/martha/800/1.jpg

Matthew Brown
07-05-2006, 11:51 PM
There's already a thread for this, but meh. I had a crush on her for the few seconds she appeared last episode, and it's so weird that she's the new Companion.

Thudpucker
07-06-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm not enjoying the new season at all, I don't like Tennant in the role. Now that Billie is gone too? I'll probably keep watching but it's not anything special for me anymore.

mike black
07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
There's already a thread for this, but meh. I had a crush on her for the few seconds she appeared last episode, and it's so weird that she's the new Companion.

I was on the board all day on the fourth - how the hell did I miss this?

Sir Erudite Gav
07-06-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm not enjoying the new season at all, I don't like Tennant in the role. Now that Billie is gone too? I'll probably keep watching but it's not anything special for me anymore.

I'm enjoying it but not to the same extent, there have been too many okay episodes this series. I do like Tennant in the role though.

Need_A_Kiss
07-06-2006, 02:28 AM
....she needs more make up