PDA

View Full Version : The last two pages of USM #96... (spoilers)

TheKraken
06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
...were awesome. The last page especially was really packed with weight & emotion, even without a single word spoken. It really highlighted the growing complexity of Peter & MJ's friendship/relationship and the harsh realities of what being Spider-Man means to a 15 year old kid.

This was another crazy-ass issue. Ben's internal monologue at the start was really cool. I don't think I've ever seen such an interesting and believable look into what being bit by a vampire feels like. Spider-Man's frustration with the hospital staff not believing in vampires was amusingly realistic. I must confess, I'm not entirely sold on Morbius: Vampire Hero. Especially since Blade was in the book just last issue. Seems derivative. Sure, "there's a zillion stories out there about evil vampires, how derivative is that?" but in a way that makes another good one even more derivative. One vampire in a million who goes against the grain is unique. Two in the space of 48 pages just seems a little off. However, all that said, I liked his attitude and the action was very well done. Peter freaking out was great, tense, and realistic. Especially with all the hype about how crazy this book's gonna be for awhile... I was actually half-surprised that was resolved so quickly.

The color palette was spot-on for all the creepy stuff. And John Dell is really gelling with Bags. This book looks better than ever.

Captain Sensation
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I was hoping to see blade go against morbius. Issue was too quick for me. Last issue was the setup and went even further than that. This issue just felt empty to me. Urich got his ass saved, spidey was distraught again and now ill have to wait til next issue to to feel interested again. Great cover though, one of the better ones in the last few months.

Ray G.
06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I really hope Bendis isn't pushing towards Peter and MJ getting back together. :nonono2:

Evan the Shaggy
06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I liked the storyline but I didn't exactly like the changes to Morbius.

Yet another "Son of Dracula who turns out to be a vampire hunter?" The Living Vampire aspect was much more interesting. Maybe down the road there will be a story about how vampires are a biproduct of an experiment gone wrong and Morbius is nutso, which would make me rethink the story.

Ben Rosen
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
loved this issue.

and i really did not expect to.

Captain Sensation
06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I really hope Bendis isn't pushing towards Peter and MJ getting back together. :nonono2:

You thinking issue 100?

Ray G.
06-29-2006, 04:36 PM
You thinking issue 100?

Better not. :mad:

Peter :heart: Kitty 4eva.

TheKraken
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I liked the storyline but I didn't exactly like the changes to Morbius.

Yet another "Son of Dracula who turns out to be a vampire hunter?" The Living Vampire aspect was much more interesting. Maybe down the road there will be a story about how vampires are a biproduct of an experiment gone wrong and Morbius is nutso, which would make me rethink the story.

See, I think the living vampire thing is lame. It only happened at all because of the weird restrictions of the comics code. "He's just like a vampire... but he's not a vampire. Seriously!" That's needlessly complicated if you asked me. The son of Dracula angle is pretty tired, tho'.

PeteL
06-30-2006, 06:31 AM
This was a fantastic issue. I liked how Bendis wrote Morbius. I hope Peter stays with Kitty, but it's looking like he's going back to MJ? Or perhaps, a moment of weakness where he needed someone familiar to console him?

Shawn_Kehoe
06-30-2006, 02:41 PM
This was a fantastic issue. I liked how Bendis wrote Morbius. I hope Peter stays with Kitty, but it's looking like he's going back to MJ? Or perhaps, a moment of weakness where he needed someone familiar to console him?

Here's the thing: Kitty is a great match for the more fantastic elements of his double life, but maybe not so-great when it comes to the normal life. If Peter told Kitty about this episode, she'd be taken aback ... but she regularly deals with killer robots and evil mutants, so the impact would be muted.

Shawn_Kehoe
06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
See, I think the living vampire thing is lame. It only happened at all because of the weird restrictions of the comics code. "He's just like a vampire... but he's not a vampire. Seriously!" That's needlessly complicated if you asked me. The son of Dracula angle is pretty tired, tho'.

Morbius appeared just after Lee broke the Comics Code open with the Amazing Spider-man drug storyline. Since Dracula appeared less than a year later, the Living Vampire angle probably wasn't due to code restrictions. My guess:

1) The science-gone-wrong angle is such a classic trope of Spider-man villains.

2) It stopped people from wondering why Dr Strange or the other heroes hadn't crossed vampires before.

3) If the whole Morbius storyline had been poorly received, they could close Pandora's box - he was "one of a kind" after all.

Of course, they did eventually bring traditional vampires into the mix, and Dr Strange eventually got rid of them for a time with the Montesi formula.

Shawn

BENDIS!
06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
thanks man

RegularJoe
06-30-2006, 03:27 PM
this was one of the first times that all of bendis' forethought to this smacked me in the face. things have been so down for parker for a REASON. this, each individual arc, is going to be tied together into something bigger, grander and more character impactful than anything we've seen before. bendis is unraveling parker slowly, stripping of so much so fast that he'll be forced to react.

BENDIS!
06-30-2006, 03:32 PM
and it all starts next issue!

Ray G.
06-30-2006, 03:44 PM

:boogie:

EximiusVir
06-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Damn you. Damn you AND your Ringo Sig.

evilgenius
07-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Better not. :mad:

Peter :heart: Kitty 4eva.

For once, we agree on something :lol:

By the way.. doesn't it look like whenever Peter is feeling like crap, MJ is all smiles? ;)

Los
07-02-2006, 03:12 AM
I thought it was great. I have been losing interest in USM. But this issue pulled me back in. I would love to see MJ and Peter back together, I hope the ending hints at it.

PeteL
07-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Here's the thing: Kitty is a great match for the more fantastic elements of his double life, but maybe not so-great when it comes to the normal life. If Peter told Kitty about this episode, she'd be taken aback ... but she regularly deals with killer robots and evil mutants, so the impact would be muted.

I think that Kitty would be good for Parker's normal life given time, then again as mentioned, she might not be as emotional as MJ could be.

I just don't know! Maybe they'll all just get together...:mistrust:

Ray G.
07-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I think that Kitty would be good for Parker's normal life given time, then again as mentioned, she might not be as emotional as MJ could be.

I just don't know! Maybe they'll all just get together...:mistrust:

:boogie:

evilgenius
07-02-2006, 11:29 AM
MJ would have to attain some sort of power for that to work out... how about the power of perpetual carpet-munchery? :lol:

Ray G.
07-02-2006, 11:30 AM
MJ would have to attain some sort of power for that to work out... how about the power of perpetual carpet-munchery? :lol:

Spider-man and his Amazing(ly hot) Friends.

Coming this Summer, from MAX.

evilgenius
07-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Spider-man and his Amazing(ly hot) Friends.

Coming this Summer, from MAX.
'
Will the computers that popped up from the furniture now merely be iPods and lappies hidden under the bed?

ReporterSteven
07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Hooyah! Onward we go to #100 on the best Spidey book left!

mattbrand
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
It was a spectacular issue IMO. Very emotional, and Ben's internal dialogue was enthralling.