PDA

View Full Version : Juan Bobillo to draw new She-Hulk 2 #8 cover!

Edward J. Cunningham
06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
As you well know, Juan Bobillo's detractors have always said that if Marvel thought his artwork was so good, why didn't they let him draw the covers instead of Adi Granov or Greg Horn?

Now they have! (http://www.hulknews.com/blog/?p=198)

Thanks to Captain Nate for breaking the story!

Eddie Cunningham

Dan Slott
06-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Grr! Only the B&W pencil sketch is up!
I just got a copy of the colors today (ALSO done by Juan)-- and they look GREAT! Can't wait for people to see the FINAL version!

Thanks to everyone for helping this issue sell through!
(And BIG thanks to the Millar and the CIVIL WAR office for letting us take part in this HUGE event!)

Patrick King
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh cool, it's an homage to Sensational #1 (where she's saying to buy her book or she'll tear up all your X-Men comics :D)

Dan Slott
06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I loved the original Sensational She-Hulk # 1 cover, I would've loved to see Adam Hughes do his own spin on that image...

I'm pretty certain that Adam Hughes has an agreement with DC that (while he will do covers for companies like TopCow-- where I was lucky enough to get him on a cover for TOMB RAIDER #50) he won't do any covers for Marvel. Every now and then, you'll see an AH! cover FEATURING Marvel characters on a convention program, poster, or some such-- but not a Marvel Comics cover proper.

Recently Tom Brevoort wrote an entry on his blog about fans who put together "fantasy teams" for who they'd like to see on what book-- or working with THIS creator or THAT one. And these fantasy teams don't take into account any number of key factors-- ranging from politics, schedules, personalities, and --most importantly-- BUDGETS. Armchair quarterbacking is one thing-- but editors have to do their job in the real world.

For example... The chances of seeing Frank Cho on SHE-HULK are pretty darn remote. And that's not saying that Frank Cho wouldn't knock it out of the park-- 'cause he would. But it's just not economically feasible. Maybe if you want to see something like that-- you should buy more copies and agressively support the book :) ...

Still... Maybe the point of "fantasy" choices is that they ARE fantastical-- and it's always fun to dream.

Me? My dreams come true every darn month-- 'cause I get to work in COMICS-- and with creators I enjoy working with (like Juan Bobillo, Andrea DiVito, Kieron Dwyer, Paul Pelletier, Paul Smith, Ty Templeton, Eduardo Barreto, and now-- my old Batman Adventures pal, Rick Burchett!)!

Edward J. Cunningham
06-27-2006, 06:25 PM
There's one more problem with Frank Cho. Most comic book fans see him as an artist, and a phenomenonly gifted one. From Liberty Meadows, I see him as a writer/artist, and I believe it would be a criminal waste of his talents to pencil a book he did not write. So long as Dan Slott is on She-Hulk, (and he ain't going anywhere) there is no point putting Cho on the book. I also strongly suspect a Frank Cho She-Hulk would also be a comedy, only more along the wacky fourth-wall breaking comedy of the John Byrne/Steve Gerbert run than what Dan is doing right now.

Miss Kitty Fantastico
06-27-2006, 08:36 PM
That cover? Is awesome.

She-Hulk covers in general are terrific. Most comics get by with just a generic 'Hey, look what we've got!' sort of cover style, which is fine, and they often look damn good, but She-Hulk frequently goes the extra mile. She-Hulk as Justice (vol.2 #1), the vol.2 #7 cover where she's moping on the bench mirroring the Jen Walters ad, the upcoming American Gothic parody, vol.1 #8 where she's crowded into the lift with everyone else - worthy successors all to the great covers of the Sensational series. I don't know if, in general, covers like that sell more comics, but I can tell you for sure they'll sell one more comic - I'm getting a second American Gothic to frame.

Speaking of fantasy creator teams, I'm kind of lucky in that my pick for She-Hulk artist would be Juan Bobillo's emotive pseudo-cartoon work, with Paul Pelletier stepping in now and then to provide more conventional superheroine hotness. Though I'm not averse to the artist (Smith?) on #8 - Shulkie's passing resemblance to Lucy Lawless certainly doesn't hurt :D

John Drake
06-27-2006, 10:03 PM
That's an awesome cover! Dan, is there a chance Juan will come back to She-Hulk for an issue or two?

Oh, and is Rick Burchett the new penciller, or is he just filling in for Paul Smith?

Miss Kitty Fantastico
06-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I agree, but She-hulk has had its share of generic superhero stand-and-pose posters.
That's true - I said 'frequently', not always ;) I don't mind the generic ones, it's probably good for business, so to speak, not to go exclusively with quirky cover designs. After all, there's probably plenty of people out there browsing the shelves thinking "Y'know what, I want a shapely heroine who kicks enormous amounts of arse," and the 'pose' covers would be a good drawcard for them when. The vol.2 #12 one, for example, looks damn good.

I like all the Titania ones, pretty much - I get what you're saying about vol.1 #12, and though I think perhaps Titania there should've been a bit more muscles-of-steel-superwoman (all the human physiques are very restrained by comic standards on that cover, which is cool, but Titania might've looked better with a touch less realism), I like her expression - it really captures the rage and hurt and, in some way I can't quite define, the small, petty-mindedness of her. That sells the cover, for me.

The only one that looks a bit, well, odd, to me, is vol.1 #9 - it's just a subtle thing, but something in her expression just looks to me to be a bit crazier than I imagine it was intended. Maybe the shadows around her mouth, they change how her smirk looks a bit, from wry to gleeful.

Of course, I'm not saying I could do better. Frankly, when it comes to freehand art, especially of human faces and figures, I'm about as bad as you can get.

Dingo
06-28-2006, 12:55 AM
The only one that looks a bit, well, odd, to me, is vol.1 #9 - it's just a subtle thing, but something in her expression just looks to me to be a bit crazier than I imagine it was intended. Maybe the shadows around her mouth, they change how her smirk looks a bit, from wry to gleeful.

Of course, I'm not saying I could do better. Frankly, when it comes to freehand art, especially of human faces and figures, I'm about as bad as you can get.

I always thought that that one looked like an Australian TV personality called Catriona Rowntree
http://www.geocities.com/supermodels_catriona_rowntree/catriona012.jpg

tom daylight
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
It's too bad the first (and so far only) comment on that site is so obnoxiously negative. I'm getting pretty sick of coming across these things and seeing the first comment being "I dislike this guy's artwork, he made me drop the comic" etc. If that's the case then why do these people bother clicking on the site in the first place, let alone taking the time to make a comment? It disturbs me! I feel compelled to put in my own comment, even though I'm not particularly inclined to post comments on these random websites, just to make it clear that not everyone feels that way!

John Drake
06-28-2006, 11:02 AM
It's too bad the first (and so far only) comment on that site is so obnoxiously negative. I'm getting pretty sick of coming across these things and seeing the first comment being "I dislike this guy's artwork, he made me drop the comic" etc. If that's the case then why do these people bother clicking on the site in the first place, let alone taking the time to make a comment? It disturbs me! I feel compelled to put in my own comment, even though I'm not particularly inclined to post comments on these random websites, just to make it clear that not everyone feels that way!

I agree, but hey the cover IS great! :cool:

Edward J. Cunningham
06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I've got a crazy idea---if sales for the second printing of issue #8 do well enough, why not use the Juan Bobillo cover for the trade paperback that I assume will be published in December or January? :wave:

Dingo
06-29-2006, 05:00 AM
I just noticed, you can see the old boofy hair in the background where he has used the old cover as a reference. Man that was a lot of hair.

Miss Kitty Fantastico
06-29-2006, 07:49 AM
I always thought that that one looked like an Australian TV personality called Catriona Rowntree
Huh, she does too - I never noticed that.

Of course, Catriona creeps me out a bit as well, so the original point still stands... ;)

Dingo
07-03-2006, 05:41 AM
You were right Dan, the coloured version (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7725) does look much better

John Drake
07-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I epecially hate Shulkie's face in that colored/finished pic...

It looks cool :cool:
The colors are really good.

Miss Kitty Fantastico
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Ooh, pretty! Interesting to see Bobillo's lines with a different kind of shading work.

Joe Henderson
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
This cover just makes me miss Bobillo's art even more...

Soda
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Oi! If that is a new picture and not just interior art splashed on the cover (like with the other reprints) - I'm buying it - especially because it's not the Greg Horn photoshop "art". :)

I'm pretty certain that Adam Hughes has an agreement with DC that (while he will do covers for companies like TopCow-- where I was lucky enough to get him on a cover for TOMB RAIDER #50) he won't do any covers for Marvel. Every now and then, you'll see an AH! cover FEATURING Marvel characters on a convention program, poster, or some such-- but not a Marvel Comics cover proper.

I can live with that. Hughes' style is something I don't care about. Generic images with big boobies... *yawn*

Maybe if you want to see something like that-- you should buy more copies and agressively support the book :) ...

Tell me which issue he'll be doing and I'm buying 50 copies! *g*

Still... Maybe the point of "fantasy" choices is that they ARE fantastical-- and it's always fun to dream.

The thing is - I don't get it. A top notch artist/writer on a second-stringer can do wonders (look at "Moon Knight" - that book is selling alone because of David Finch and nothing else. If it wouldn't be Finch on the title they'd file it under "canceled after 6-12 issues") while a book like "Amazing Spider-Man" or "Uncanny X-Men" would sell no matter who would draw and write it.

But second stringer and unknown talent = flop.
Marvel did a bunch of fantastic books the last couple of years but most of them failed due to lack of promotion or well-known talent.
You could Finch put on a "Woodgod" book and it would sell 50.000 copies.

My dream team? Budd Root and Frank Cho on "Cavewoman/Shanna"... *drool*
Or anybody teamed up with Art Adams or Adam Pollina...

There's one more problem with Frank Cho. Most comic book fans see him as an artist, and a phenomenonly gifted one. From Liberty Meadows, I see him as a writer/artist, and I believe it would be a criminal waste of his talents to pencil a book he did not write.

He loves "trash" and doesn't take his comics TOO serious. That's all. I bet he would work perfect with a MAX book written by Chuck Austen or (the aforementioned) Budd Root.

That's an awesome cover! Dan, is there a chance Juan will come back to She-Hulk for an issue or two?

I'd love to see him PAINT a She-Hulk limited series (like Ceremony). THAT would rock because he's an awesome painting artist (most of his comic stuff is painted and it looks SO much superior to his normal art).

This cover just makes me miss Bobillo's art even more...

Buy "Bird", "Zachary Holmes" and the upcoming "T.S. Blake") instead. :)

Mikie
08-28-2009, 01:29 AM
So, what is Juan working on these days? And does he have any sort of website?

Dingo
08-28-2009, 01:37 AM
The last work of his I remember seeing was the Howard The Duck, Media Duckling thing.

Beyond that, I think he does a lot of work in European comics. I'm ashamed to say that my knowledge of what goes on over in European comics is woefully microscopic.

Arion
08-30-2009, 05:24 PM
The last work of his I remember seeing was the Howard The Duck, Media Duckling thing.

Beyond that, I think he does a lot of work in European comics. I'm ashamed to say that my knowledge of what goes on over in European comics is woefully microscopic.

I'm kind of lost about European comics too...