PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Comicon Costs?

sans serif
06-24-2006, 06:41 PM
I want to go to the San Diego comicon again sometime (not sure when) and plan to start saving up right about now.

I plan on buying a minimal amount of things from there next time I go, but do plan on going out at night, and I'm not sure how much I should look to save up.

So, how much do you tend to spend? This would be including plane tickets, hotel, meals and nightlife.

James Patrick
06-24-2006, 06:42 PM
a million dollars

Thudpucker
06-24-2006, 06:48 PM
$800-1000 seems about right. If you're lucky you won't spend it all but it's smart to have that much set aside.

Bill?
06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
my total costs last time where around 1300 bucks. and that was with the cheapest hotel and everything.
it's not a cheap trip.

Bearpod91
06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
I went on jetblue and the comicon.com thing to figure it all out. I came to around $1400 per person in total. But I can't go alone so I doubt that I'll pay that much. And that $1400 included okay hotels I would desperately go to, and food expenses too. I can't afford so I don't know if you would be able too.

Mr. E!
06-24-2006, 06:58 PM
I flew out on JetBlue non-stop, round trip from DC for $265.
Hotel can range from anywhere from $90-200 A night, depends on how close you want to get to the con, if you are willing to share a room, and how many nights you want to spend. You need to book your room several months in advance. Pat Lokia is the man to talk to about that :)
SD has good public transportation, so you don't need to rent a car...but if you do, it will run you @ $300 a week.
As far as the con itself, I found myself not spending as much as I thought I would. I went for two days, and only spent $150. I bought a lot directly from creators, which was nice. Mile High had all GN's for 30% off (bring a list of what you're looking for because it is all overwhelming). I could have easily dropped $500-$1,000. It seemed like I was the only person at the con without a light saber, and once you get into buying pages and original art, well, that can get pricey.
So, I'd say $1,500 minimum for a week in SD.

sans serif
06-24-2006, 06:59 PM
I think I'll be saving up for quite a while.

Mr. E!
06-24-2006, 07:02 PM
I think I'll be saving up for quite a while.

Well, you're a girl, so it's not like you'll be paying for drinks :)

sans serif
06-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, you're a girl, so it's not like you'll be paying for drinks :)

I hope you're right. That certainly would be nice.

Mr. E!
06-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I hope you're right. That certainly would be nice.

Just smile...or go in costume.

And try the margaritas at the Cyote Cafe...sooooo good.

sans serif
06-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Smiling works? Smiling?!

Damn, you guys are easy.

Christian Beranek
06-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Cheegy,

See if you can room with 4 - 6 other people. That will save on hotel costs.

Make sure you book your plane ticket way in advance.

If you drink, go to a liquor store and buy a bottle. Fuck paying bar prices.

If you have a cooler in your hotel pack your lunches.

Don't rent a car.

--CB

Kody
06-24-2006, 08:18 PM
If you're trying to save cash, the real trick is to find a hotel along the trolly route instead of staying on site. You can easily save $50 a day by doing that. I did it my first couple of years at the con till I could afford to stay a little closer.

kritty
06-24-2006, 08:19 PM
when we go we go to ralphs (the grocery store) and stock up on things like snacks, breakfast bars, ham and bread - we also get a styrofoam icechest for the room - so when we are at the con we bring sandwiches to eat for lunch for a couple of the days and we save the money for dinners with friends - it probably saves kody and i about $100 in food costs as opposed to eating somewhere for every single meal

plus remember that the earlier you get your plane tickets, the cheaper they are, so if you plan on attending next year, book them around march and you will save about $100 - and dont leave to go home on a sunday, the tickets cost more - leave the monday

as for hotels - if you can get in with the con special, that saves you a little money, but its really hard to get those rooms (they go fast) - so try to book early and make sure you have others staying with you - i am finding that the places that were cheap in the past are now just as expensive as some of the nicer hotels - so do your research on the room you plan on staying in before you book (2 years ago i booked a place and luckily found out that i would have to share a bathroom with others - ugh, so i found somewhere else)

hope i helped!

Garth
06-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Agree with the comment about hotels on the public trans service. Parking is a nightmare you don't want to experience, and it really isn't worth it. You are somewhat limited in choices for what to eat without a car, but, it certainly isn't worth the cash you would spend for a car rental and such. I stayed in a room in Old Town. It was nice, and about a 15 min. walk from the Trolly which takes you to the Con. There are a few little resteraunts around there too, so it isn't food-court food, which is always a plus.

mario
06-25-2006, 03:49 AM
Smiling works? Smiling?!

Damn, you guys are easy.

well, they ARE comic nerds after all :)

Mr. E!
06-25-2006, 04:51 AM
Agree with the comment about hotels on the public trans service. Parking is a nightmare you don't want to experience, and it really isn't worth it. You are somewhat limited in choices for what to eat without a car, but, it certainly isn't worth the cash you would spend for a car rental and such. I stayed in a room in Old Town. It was nice, and about a 15 min. walk from the Trolly which takes you to the Con. There are a few little resteraunts around there too, so it isn't food-court food, which is always a plus.

Old Town has some of the best food anywhere!

copypastepuke
06-25-2006, 05:06 AM
dont forget the money to spend on going to the zoo to see the pandabears.

Mr. E!
06-25-2006, 05:13 AM
dont forget the money to spend on going to the zoo to see the pandabears.

Fuck the pandas! They were boring! The only thing more boring than the pandas were the koalas.
The Polar Bears, however, are fucking right on!
The single best thing I saw at the zoo last year, however, was a female giraffe taking a piss. The male giraffe proceeds to walk up behind her and start licking the stream. According to the tourbus guide, this is how male giraffes tell if the woman is in heat...

copypastepuke
06-25-2006, 06:03 AM
There is this endangered bird in australia, it is called something with a "C", and it is like an emu but has blue things all around it. it is the one animal in the world that has NO FEAR of humans. like seriously, it sees tanks and humans and cars, and it thinks, WELL SHIT, THAT THING SHOULD BE FREAKING OUT CAUSE IT IS LOOKING AT ME AND I AM A FUCKING "C-----". I KICK ASS.

i saw it at a zoo thing, and there were no warnings or signs, and i was on this plank thing, walking slightly above it, and i stopped to look at the bird. and it was so mad at me, for even daring to look at it, and it like jumped and tried to peck my leg. it was fucking scary. then it hissed at me like a cat, and i was like, OKAY, FUNNY BIRD, NOT SO FUNNY.

copypastepuke
06-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Fuck the pandas! They were boring! The only thing more boring than the pandas were the koalas.
The Polar Bears, however, are fucking right on!
The single best thing I saw at the zoo last year, however, was a female giraffe taking a piss. The male giraffe proceeds to walk up behind her and start licking the stream. According to the tourbus guide, this is how male giraffes tell if the woman is in heat...
hmm.

if only male tongues worked like that, we wouldnt have to spend so much money on drinks.

oh, and pregnancy tests? we would never have to worry if she is lying again!