PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore's desperate attempts to remain relevent...

LenNWallace
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjrOi4vF24

But it's got Bender from Futurama in it, so I don't guess I can fault him too much.

AAlgar
06-23-2006, 02:14 PM
It has Billy West too! That's almost like getting new Futurama!

LenNWallace
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought we actually were getting new Futurama, aren't we?

andrew french
06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
if you see an inconvenient truth (which was good)

you can see that futurama short on global warming!

AAlgar
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I thought we actually were getting new Futurama, aren't we?

Maybe. But this is NOW!

Bill?
06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah thats from his movie. gore was actually in an episode of futurama. and his daughter was one of the writers.

AAlgar
06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah thats from his movie. gore was actually in an episode of futurama. and his daughter was one of the writers.

2 episodes! Have you forgotten that he has ridden the mighty moon worm??

Bill?
06-23-2006, 03:02 PM
2 episodes! Have you forgotten that he has ridden the mighty moon worm??

oh yeah. I was thinking of the Tales Of Interest episode he was in. he had the vice presidential action rangers.

AAlgar
06-23-2006, 03:04 PM
oh yeah. I was thinking of the Tales Of Interest episode he was in. he had the vice presidential action rangers.

Apparently he recorded that ToI one when he was campaigning. That just makes it that much cooler to me.

(The commentary on Futurama was really fantastic. And now I get to be a smartie-pants about this stuff!)

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
06-23-2006, 03:06 PM
What was so desperate about that?

Taxman
06-23-2006, 03:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Net%20Photos/gored.jpg

Shepherd
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
What was so desperate about that?

I didn't think it was either. I thought it was kind of funny. And if he wanted to be relevant, I don't think most people would really connect with Futurama. Seems more for fun to me.

R

Joe Henderson
06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, desperate...OR trying to bring attention to something he believes passionately in...but hey, what do I know...

Bill?
06-23-2006, 04:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/glima/Net%20Photos/gored.jpg

I liked him better with the beard.

Taxman
06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I liked him better with the beard.I think this may have only been a couple of days after he shaved.

Patrick J
06-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Manbearpig is REAL! I'm super serial guys!.

NickT
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
He had the Bond villain look going for him.

Shwicaz
06-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, look at him trying to remain relevant....

the movie is gaining critical acclaim, and was just honored here:

LOS ANGELES - The Al Gore documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" will receive a rare recognition from the Humanitas Prize, which honors screenwriting that helps "liberate, enrich and unify society."

http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/LIVING/606230352/1004

what an asshole he is, huh?

:roll:

FredC
06-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Does Bender look off model to anyone else?

Ben Weldon
06-24-2006, 08:00 AM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/benweldon/gored.jpg

Boris the Blade
06-24-2006, 08:41 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/benweldon/gored.jpg
You are funny. I like you.

Ethan Van Sciver
06-24-2006, 08:46 AM
I didn't see An Inconvenient Truth, because I'm too busy for it with all of my lies. But I did see the Roger Ebert review of it on tv. They previewed a short clip of the film in which Al talks about the icebergs melting and the water level rising. "This is what Florida will look like!", he says, and there's a map of Florida, with water all over it.

That'll teach us for 2000, I guess. :)

Brad N.
06-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I didn't see An Inconvenient Truth, because I'm too busy for it with all of my lies. But I did see the Roger Ebert review of it on tv. They previewed a short clip of the film in which Al talks about the icebergs melting and the water level rising. "This is what Florida will look like!", he says, and there's a map of Florida, with water all over it.

That'll teach us for 2000, I guess. :)

GORE 2: The Revenge!

Slingy
06-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm really amazed that some people are still trying to politicize both Gore and An Inconvenient Truth. What's it going to take to get through to you?

Ray G.
06-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm really amazed that some people are still trying to politicize both Gore and An Inconvenient Truth. What's it going to take to get through to you?

It IS political. Global Warming is a serious issue, but Gore has made no bones about condemning Bush over it. Global Warming shouldn't be a political issue, but both Gore and his movie are.

Dan McLellan
06-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Because Bush is in charge Ray. Jesus how hard is that to understand. Who cares what happened under Clinton. Bush is in control NOW. That is why you talk about what is happening NOW.

And for all the talks of Gore making the logical fallicy of correlation. Well fuck that. The best part of his movie is pointing out that opponents to doing anything to save the planet are using the tobacco company "we don't know because we don't want to know" defense.

Global Warming is real and the people who don't want to do anything about it need to wake the fuck up. God this pisses me off. It's cyclical my ass.

Slingy
06-24-2006, 02:15 PM
It IS political. Global Warming is a serious issue, but Gore has made no bones about condemning Bush over it. Global Warming shouldn't be a political issue, but both Gore and his movie are.

Yes, because Bush has FUCKED UP, not because he's Republican. Because one of Bush's advisers actually EDITED scientific findings to suit the white house's (and therefore corporate) needs. Because Bush refused to sign the Kyoto treaty despite a majority of Americans being in favor of it. Because under Bush, our vehicle efficiency standards are among the lowest of any civilized country. This is not opinion, this is not grandstanding, this is FACT.

Have you even seen the movie?

Ray G.
06-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Yes, because Bush has FUCKED UP, not because he's Republican. Because one of Bush's advisers actually EDITED scientific findings to suit the white house's (and therefore corporate) needs. Because Bush refused to sign the Kyoto treaty despite a majority of Americans being in favor of it. Because under Bush, our vehicle efficiency standards are among the lowest of any civilized country. This is not opinion, this is not grandstanding, this is FACT.

Have you even seen the movie?

Um, the Kyoto treaty was rejected 99-0 by the Senate. Bush is hardly the only one objecting to it, and for good reason. It puts the onus on the US and other developed countries, while ignoring the contibutions of nations like China, which does much more damage to the enviroment each year than the US.

Slingy
06-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Um, the Kyoto treaty was rejected 99-0 by the Senate. Bush is hardly the only one objecting to it, and for good reason. It puts the onus on the US and other developed countries, while ignoring the contibutions of nations like China, which does much more damage to the enviroment each year than the US.

Untrue, the US does more damage than China. But even if it didn't - what exactly is wrong with the US and other developing countries doing their part even if China won't? Is our government made up of sore losers?

But you haven't even addressed my other points. Have you even SEEN An Inconvenient Truth?

Ray G.
06-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Untrue, the US does more damage than China. But even if it didn't - what exactly is wrong with the US and other developing countries doing their part even if China won't? Is our government made up of sore losers?

But you haven't even addressed my other points. Have you even SEEN An Inconvenient Truth?

Did I SAY I did?

All I'm saying is that the attempts to lionize a man and his movie as above politics are pretty flawed. The movie is overtly political, and there's nothing wrong with that! Al Gore is advocating on a political issue that he takes extremely seriously! And unlike other political movies, it's less than strident.

Slingy
06-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Did I SAY I did?

Well you did say:

Global Warming shouldn't be a political issue, but both Gore and his movie are.

If you haven't seen the movie, how can you call it politicized? Do not attempt to confuse Al Gore with Michael Moore. Just because Gore has an agenda, this doesn't mean he's stooping to cooking the books or presenting opinion as fact. There is no "vote democrat" message, no "impeach bush" portion of the film.

Jamie Howdeshell
06-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Did I SAY I did?

so wait... you haven't even seen the movie but you feel you can safely make judgements about it.

how... interesting.