PDA

View Full Version : Lego relocating production to Mexico

DungeonMasterJim
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Not sure if people saw this. Lego Enfield plant is only a town away from my hometown and I had a number of friends working there. Goofy part is, they just put up a massive warehouse only about 10 years ago.

Toy maker Lego to lay off 1,200, move Connecticut production to Mexico
Updated 6/20/2006 12:42 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) Danish toy maker Lego Group said Tuesday that it will end production in Enfield, Conn., and lay off 300 people there in early 2007, while some 900 employees in Denmark will also be sacked over the next three years.
The production in Enfield is to be moved to Mexico, Lego said. Along with the 300 production layoffs, the distribution facility in Enfield will also be affected, Lego said, without providing details.

At Lego's headquarters in Denmark, up to 900 production employees will lose their jobs over the next three years as nearly a third of the production will be moved to the Czech Republic, the company said.

Some Lego products, including Lego Technic and Bionicle, will still be made at Lego's headquarters in Billund, 160 miles west of Copenhagen, which presently has a staff of 3,000 employees.

HOME TOWN HORROR: Tiny Billund is shocked.

Outside Denmark, Lego bricks will be made by Flextronics, a Singapore-based electronics manufacturer, which operates factories in Mexico and eastern Europe. Flextronics also is taking over Lego's factory in Kladno, in the Czech Republic, beginning Aug. 1.

In 2005, the privately owned Lego Group posted a net profit of about $86 million, compared with a net loss of nearly four times that in 2004.

In September, Lego said it was considering moving all or part of its production to Eastern Europe or China, and said the restructuring plans could affect all its production facilities.

A month later, Lego announced that it was closing a plantity in Switzerland and five European distribution centers, and moved those operations to the Czech Republic. That move affected 540 workers.

Founded in 1932, Lego's name was invented by combining the first two letters of the Danish words "Leg godt" (play well) without knowing that that the word in Latin means "I assemble."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Can you tell I'm not in a good mood today?

DM Jim:lol:

DrMachine
06-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Ariba!

RebootedCorpse
Globalization rulz!

nihilance
Saw that last night on the Colbert Report.

Bill?
06-22-2006, 10:00 AM
maybe we can get them to snap together a colorful border wall on their way down there.

nihilance
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
maybe we can get them to snap together a colorful border wall on their way down there.
And that's the joke they used on the Colbert Report too!

Bill?
06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
And that's the joke they used on the Colbert Report too!

it would probably work with bears too.
:D