PDA

View Full Version : so tell me why you like david...

Murdock's Girl
06-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Seriously-
I am writing an informative visual aid speech for a class on David (just because I am selfish and want to have the coolest VAs ever...so I am using a ton of his artwork).

But my main point is that David has a huge influence over his fans (i.e. Teardrops letters).

So tell me folks- why do you like David so much?

Me personally- I thought I only had the 'take the garbage and turn it into gold' writing philosophy- so I am glad there is someone else that has that (at least I know im not crazy... but we are talking about David here so.....)

that and the best thing in the world is reading kabuki on a nice day with sushi in the park...
I won't compare it here... but its as good as something else :)

Tessana aka MG

T-Dro
06-22-2006, 05:16 AM
When I began reading comics I noticed a distinct lack of emotionally strong, realisticly drawn female characters. So when I picked up an issue of Kabuki: Circle of Blood, I was hooked. Here was a character with everything I was looking for...family issues, problems at work :wink: , and a high level of ass-kicking.

I loved Kabuki so much that I wrote a letter to Mr. Mack, and he wrote back, and put my letter in Tear Drops. So, I started writing to him regularly (although he didn't always reply, he put a lot of my letters in Kabuki.) Later I went to the Pittsburgh Comicon specifically to meet him and get some comics signed, and he turned out to be the nicest professional that I've ever met, and one of the nicest people, all around, really.

As Kabuki evolved, I empathized with her character more and more. And David's art work just got better, and better, and better. Kabuki is one of the few comics that you can read, and apply the lessons you get from it to your daily life. So, in a way, David is my Akemi, sending me origami notes to encourage me to persue my dreams.

copypastepuke
06-22-2006, 05:24 AM
he changed my perception on what can be done. and how nothing can't be done.

also, he is pretty. him and his artwork, i mean.

Murdock's Girl
06-22-2006, 06:34 AM
:)
I think the other cool thing that David has done (besides Kabuki...sigh.. i'm going through withdrawal here)...

1) Echo- As much as some people think she is a rip off of Taskmaster (who, in my opinion sucked as a character..) There was this huge story of hers.. Heck, a miniority within a minority WITHIN a minority....(deaf, native american and women...god did i have fun writing a paper about that)... but in a book with a character who's also a minority... -sorry I had to clean up the drool off my desk-.
*Bravo David* Now produce a Echo mini and I will totally be so freaking happy!

2) There are alot of fans of the same creator (for the sake of an arguement, there is a ton of Greg Rucka fans right?) who sit and debate about this and that with the book that creator is doing- but the thing I noticed about Kabuki fans (and please, please please correct me if i am wrong) is that as much as we love the book, i really haven't seen anyone nit pick it (i.e. continuity for example)... its more about how can i say this--- philosophical meaning of the book than anything else...
that and all of us Kabuki fans are pretty creative in one way or another... I think David just feeds that creativity through Kabuki. (and himself...)

3.) Me personally- Reading kabuki has helped me work through alot of stuff in my head that I have been dealing with since my dad died, and I don't know.. As much as I love Daredevil and stuff, does anyone else get this feeling while reading Kabuki that they are the only ones reading it? David just hit this ....chord for the sake of an arguement... that I haven't seen ANYWHERE else (not in comics, movies, music..NOTHING)... that the books just reads so personal.. I am not sure if that came out right... I got the idea in my head I just can't explain it properly..
Random thought: has anyone seen those philosophy books like on matrix or harry potter? I would totally love to see a version of that on Kabuki. :)

Tessana

GelfXIII
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
For me it's all about the art. The smooth beautiful watercolors, contrasting with the stark, jarring geometric shapes and collage cutouts. The use of circular lettering paths which interface with the art and amplifies it in a way that no other sequential artist does. The blending of high art with action also stands out as being signifigantly different than I had ever seen in a comic book before. I think of David's work as "Comics- Advanced". Most comic books one reads in about 10 minutes and forget nearly as quickly, David's work you'll take an hour to read and study every page, and then a few hours later go back and study the pages some more, because something, some thought, some visual has stuck with you, and you just have to go back and see it again, to ponder it, roll it over your mental tongue and taste it again. Tell me another book that has that sort of effect on you and I'll run out and buy it! :lol:

Murdock's Girl
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
i agree with you totally!
I also like the fact that no matter how many time i pick up and reread say, meta that I always find something I didn't catch before. :)

Tessana

Taki Soma
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I first encountered David's work in the anthology-esque mini of Hunter Rose Grendel: black, white and red. I was enthralled by his style of art, because it was different and completely diverse. (Plus, who doesn't love Hunter Rose?)

Then I got someone else hooked on his art and he started reading Kabuki which didn't interest me in the least bit, especially because I learned that there is a rape scene in the first trade but years later my friend sent me all the volumes of Kabuki (up to that point, at least) with that particular scene cut out of the comic so that I could read it. I really liked COB.

But it was really his work in DD with Echo (when she was first introduced into Marvel U) that made me really admire his work. She's a cool character, and I loved the way he depicted her, the way he and JQ drew her.

HotRob
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
His poetry in motion style of combining words and images to effect an emotional response from the reader.

The beauty of the art he does and the way he captures motion/action/movement even in images that are distorted.

Plus meeting DM in Auckland in '02, he is such a wonderful shining soul, so calm, centered and the most genuine person i've ever met.

dimeshop
06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
I like david because he has a real kitchen sink approach to everything he does. His writing and art incorporate a variety of styles, techiniques and inspirations. He does all that and still tells great stories.

Also, he's really super duper nice in person.

tdaniel
06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I never imagined comic books could aspire to be anything more than tights & fights (to generalize)...then I pick up Kabuki Alchemy (I know I'm late to the game). Well, I was absolutely stunned, enthralled, and inspired by the ideas and notions put forth about life, creativity, innovation, risk-reward, - you name it.

Combining the writing with the visuals? Mack simply redefines expectations and perceptions on what a comic book can be on every level!

In fact, in reading Kabuki narrative is so secondary, heck maybe further down the line of emphasis...and that in-and-of=itself is refreshing. I love that my mind has the space to roam and really mull over the ideas put forth rather than wonder what the villian is plotting now (don't get me wrong I'm loving Civil War!).

So why do I appreciate Mack & Kabuki? Well it comes down to vitality. The work is full of care, passion and truth. When so much art as of late appears stillborn and lifeless, Kabuki dares to put it all on the table. This isn'ta man trying to print money, this is a creator giving us something provocative and beautiful in exchange for our time.

Murdoc's Girl - nice thread...I could go on and on, and all this only after reading 6 issues...

T-Dro
06-23-2006, 05:58 AM
:)
...does anyone else get this feeling while reading Kabuki that they are the only ones reading it? David just hit this ....chord for the sake of an arguement... that I haven't seen ANYWHERE else (not in comics, movies, music..NOTHING)... that the books just reads so personal.. I am not sure if that came out right... I got the idea in my head I just can't explain it properly...Tessana

You are not alone. Upon my first reading of most issues of Kabuki, I am sure that David is talking just to me. "Skin Deep" especially.

Murdock's Girl
06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Alchemy has been so freaking good.. sigh..

Funny story-- so I am sitting at my local coffee joint after getting my comics on a freaking cold saturday afternoon. I'm in a good mood, got comics and Kabuki and my coffee... what else do I need?

So.. I think it was issue 3 or 4 (i'm going to reread them tonight) when Kabuki is on the plane and 'the american' sits down next to her.

Now I need to explain that I just finally have gotten a good grasp on post modern theroy (in part because of Watchmen) so Im totally in the Kabuki groove and here is david (but not david).. in his own book... talking to a character he created how many years ago? I nearly died right then and there. I was so caught off guard that I nearly ruined the book with my coffee going every where.

See its moments like those that keep me as hooked on as a comic book fan:

Taki's right though... I picked up Daredevil (at least when I first started reading comics, and that was TPB format) because I knew who the heck Kevin Smith was... but it was Echo (the joe/david run) and underboss that kept me dead cemented as a DD fan. I really can't wait to see Echo come back in NA- although I would love to show up right now in Bru's run (which would be awsome story wise)... at least I got her in NA. :)

Tessana

Ravengregory
06-23-2006, 04:41 PM
His flowery, poetic narration style that blends seamlessly with his art in such a purely organic way that makes it a perfect mesh of image and text where both are no longer seperate entities but one in itself.

bairdduvessa
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
he writes the way i think. If that makes sense. Well I guess it wouldn't. I love the abstractness piled on to the linearness.
The way that not only the traditional drawn art moves the story, but how the texts of his stories are part of the image.
And that in order to get everything that you possibly can from the book, you must twist it around. Decipher as best you can (into your own mind's languages) and see what else is there.
Nothing is thrown away.
Nothing is traditional.
Plus he seems to be bale to write very stronge characters that pull you in. And you get to see their psyches in a more natural way than most comic writers do.
On top of that, the psychology of it is all has so much depth that you are forced (but in a good way) to sit and absorb everything and to see if you too can figure out the patterns of not only Kabyki's Echo's or even Mr. Mack's mind themselves. But also yours.
The challenge and the sophistication of each and every aspect, to me helps build the neuropathaological (sp) that one under uses.