PDA

View Full Version : Kabuki Book Club: Circle of Blood: Fear the Reaper

T-Dro
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
This will be the first discussion thread for the Kabuki Book Club. We will be starting with "Kabuki: Fear the Reaper", which appears at the beginning of both the Caliber and Image collections of Kabuki.

Here are the rules for the club:

1) Please read "Fear the Reaper". Please try to read ONLY this chapter of Kabuki. (I know, this is hard to do, you just want to keep reading!) This thread will go on for as long as people want to discuss this chapter. In one or two weeks I will post a thread for the next chapter, and we will start again.

2) Please try to keep your discussion limited to the current chapter. As we go on, we can refer back to previous chapters, but, in the interest of possible new readers, let's try to just focus on the current chapter. If you absolutely MUST refer to a later issue of Kabuki, use spoiler tags if necessary. Remember, although many of us have read every Kabuki comic, there are others who have not.

And those are the only rules. Well, I guess that 2 is a guideline more than a rule, but you get the picture.

Please tell your friends about the book club...new members are welcome!

Bandit Chimera
06-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Ok well i won't say alot but I will say that I dug the shit out of this chapter. I'd never read any Kabuki before and bought it at WW Philly (this year)from MACK so its even cooler for me

the story, for me, started off a little bland but from scene 2 onward I was hooked with that issue and the backdrop/history of the book.

(and don't even get me started on how amazing the rest of the trade was)

my only regret in buying this stuff was that I didn't look to see if there was a color copy of the COB trade

As for my fav. parts of the prolouge i really enjoyed snowfall and the intro to kabuki's moms story.

Great shit in General Mack.....loved it alot and when I get more money i'll be geting more trades ECT of Kabuki :)

MACK!
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Ok well i won't say alot but I will say that I dug the shit out of this chapter. I'd never read any Kabuki before and bought it at WW Philly (this year)from MACK so its even cooler for me

the story, for me, started off a little bland but from scene 2 onward I was hooked with that issue and the backdrop/history of the book.

(and don't even get me started on how amazing the rest of the trade was)

my only regret in buying this stuff was that I didn't look to see if there was a color copy of the COB trade

As for my fav. parts of the prolouge i really enjoyed snowfall and the intro to kabuki's moms story.

Great shit in General Mack.....loved it alot and when I get more money i'll be geting more trades ECT of Kabuki :)

Glad to hear that you liked the first volume and will be reading more.
I just wanted to post to alleive you of your only regret: There is no color version of that volume. I specifically chose to do that volume in Black and White. I had offers before it and since to to add color to it, but that volume is definitely a black and white volume. I can't help but to choose specific styles and mediums to fit each volume. So each volume is different visually.
Even though each volume fits in continuity and builds on the other, each volume is kind of its own animal.

Bandit Chimera
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Glad to hear that you liked the first volume and will be reading more.
I just wanted to post to alleive you of your only regret: There is no color version of that volume. I specifically chose to do that volume in Black and White. I had offers before it and since to to add color to it, but that volume is definitely a black and white volume. I can't help but to choose specific styles and mediums to fit each volume. So each volume is different visually.
Even though each volume fits in continuity and builds on the other, each volume is kind of its own animal.

thats cool i understand....it was still great though and I can't wait to get my hands on more :)

MACK!
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
thats cool i understand....it was still great though and I can't wait to get my hands on more :)

Glad to hear it.
I just wanted to make sure you knew that you didn't miss out on a color version of that story.

But I hope you will like the use of color in the other volumes.

HotRob
06-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Reading 'Fear the Reaper' I loved be reintroduced to the eight Pawns, the Noh agents, I'm looking forward indulging in the adventure through the chapters ahead.

I haven't done any sort of book critique in years so these are some thoughts i noted down while reading this first chapter:

The sweeping poetry of Harmony in Chaos and the duality of nature through the themes of ying & yang.

The setup of the Zen Circle translating to the Circle formed by the agents and the tie to the circle of the rising sun on the Japanese flag creating the stage/basis/scene for the story ahead.

The Shakespearean references of the stage and the curtain falling on the performers, only to rise again with the new sun and a new act begin.

Kabuki seems to be a jigsaw of emotion and memories held together by her assignments, a flesh robot conditioned to kill.

The lamentation (if thats a word) over Kabuki's mother and the feeling of her trapped inside Kabuki's spirit, wanting that release, wanting revenge to gain peace, through the looking glass of Kabuki's soul windows, her eyes.

Peace! :)
R.

Bandit Chimera
06-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Reading 'Fear the Reaper' I loved be reintroduced to the eight Pawns, the Noh agents, I'm looking forward indulging in the adventure through the chapters ahead.

I haven't done any sort of book critique in years so these are some thoughts i noted down while reading this first chapter:

The sweeping poetry of Harmony in Chaos and the duality of nature through the themes of ying & yang.

The setup of the Zen Circle translating to the Circle formed by the agents and the tie to the circle of the rising sun on the Japanese flag creating the stage/basis/scene for the story ahead.

The Shakespearean references of the stage and the curtain falling on the performers, only to rise again with the new sun and a new act begin.

Kabuki seems to be a jigsaw of emotion and memories held together by her assignments, a flesh robot conditioned to kill.

The lamentation (if thats a word) over Kabuki's mother and the feeling of her trapped inside Kabuki's spirit, wanting that release, wanting revenge to gain peace, through the looking glass of Kabuki's soul windows, her eyes.

Peace! :)
R.

holy poop i liked the book but that just made me think of 20 million things i never thought of when reading it ...wow

HotRob
06-27-2006, 04:41 PM
holy poop i liked the book but that just made me think of 20 million things i never thought of when reading it ...wow

happy to hear it! :D

Shannon Chenoweth
07-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Read this a couple days ago. Meant to post sooner.

I love how David used the Noh channel to relay information. The beginning use of it is wonderful, but as it continues on, you really get to see how the Noh affect the world David has created.

bairdduvessa
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
my book fell apart so i can't partake :(

T-Dro
08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Huh...I didn't quite keep up with this did I?

I thought I'd sort of wait until the strips come out on Newsarama to re-launch this. Sound good?

bairdduvessa
08-09-2006, 06:04 PM
k

MACK!
09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
This will be the first discussion thread for the Kabuki Book Club. We will be starting with "Kabuki: Fear the Reaper", which appears at the beginning of both the Caliber and Image collections of Kabuki.

Here are the rules for the club:

1) Please read "Fear the Reaper". Please try to read ONLY this chapter of Kabuki. (I know, this is hard to do, you just want to keep reading!) This thread will go on for as long as people want to discuss this chapter. In one or two weeks I will post a thread for the next chapter, and we will start again.

2) Please try to keep your discussion limited to the current chapter. As we go on, we can refer back to previous chapters, but, in the interest of possible new readers, let's try to just focus on the current chapter. If you absolutely MUST refer to a later issue of Kabuki, use spoiler tags if necessary. Remember, although many of us have read every Kabuki comic, there are others who have not.

And those are the only rules. Well, I guess that 2 is a guideline more than a rule, but you get the picture.

Please tell your friends about the book club...new members are welcome!

For those that have not read this issue, it is being released DAILY for free RIGHT NOW on newsarama.com.

And discussion boards there as well.

bairdduvessa
09-06-2006, 08:49 PM
i never miss a day

MACK!
10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Huh...I didn't quite keep up with this did I?

I thought I'd sort of wait until the strips come out on Newsarama to re-launch this. Sound good?

Hi Terry,

I saw a rough cut of the DVD THe ALCHEMY OF ART,
and I thought you'd like to know that your David Mack Action Figure was included in the DVD and your name is mentioned :)

Foggy's Pal
10-24-2006, 06:04 PM
If anyone is interested in continuing talking about this book, chapter by chapter, I'm in. I have read it once, but I am re-reading to get the full enjoyment.

So far, In "Reaper", I'm taken by the line that "technology has surpassed its humanity". This really resonates with our current situation here in U.S. ANy thoughts, or interest in continuing?

bairdduvessa
10-24-2006, 09:25 PM
i'd love to but my fear the reaper trade fell apart :sad: so i'm stuck to reading the dailies.

Foggy's Pal
10-25-2006, 02:07 AM
If you find a copy, jump back in. I'll keep checking.

bairdduvessa
10-25-2006, 03:41 AM
If you find a copy, jump back in. I'll keep checking.
i may try and get another one in december

bairdduvessa
11-19-2006, 04:14 AM
just reordered it

T-Dro
11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Terry,

I saw a rough cut of the DVD THe ALCHEMY OF ART,
and I thought you'd like to know that your David Mack Action Figure was included in the DVD and your name is mentioned :)

As in, "This crazy chick made this action figure of me...scary!" ?

;)

MACK!
11-22-2006, 02:04 AM
As in, "This crazy chick made this action figure of me...scary!" ?

;)

No, much kinder than that

bairdduvessa
11-22-2006, 02:34 AM
what is this trailor?

MACK!
11-22-2006, 05:07 AM
I can't tell if you are joking or not

bairdduvessa
11-22-2006, 06:01 AM
I can't tell if you are joking or not

sadly i'm not

MACK!
11-22-2006, 04:06 PM
You mean the trailer to THE ALCHEMY OF ART DVD, right?

It's the DVD documentary of my work that I've been hyping all over the place all year (especially in the last few months hoping people would order it from the Previews catalogue and thier store) as it was offered in the last catalogue and ships in December.

I think your retailer can still re-order it and you can also order it from herovideoproductions.com.

Check the link at davidmackguide.com for more info.

bairdduvessa
11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
You mean the trailer to THE ALCHEMY OF ART DVD, right?

It's the DVD documentary of my work that I've been hyping all over the place all year (especially in the last few months hoping people would order it from the Previews catalogue and thier store) as it was offered in the last catalogue and ships in December.

I think your retailer can still re-order it and you can also order it from herovideoproductions.com.

Check the link at davidmackguide.com for more info.

k thankx

MACK!
11-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Sure.
I wasn't sure if you were saying it as a joke because I've been mentioning the DVD so much on these boards and the sites.
And posting updates so often.

When in fact, it looks like I should have been posting it even more :)

Please spread the word!
:)

bairdduvessa
11-24-2006, 02:21 AM
Sure.
I wasn't sure if you were saying it as a joke because I've been mentioning the DVD so much on these boards and the sites.
And posting updates so often.

When in fact, it looks like I should have been posting it even more :)

Please spread the word!
:)

it's not your fault, I am generaly over egocentric at times and forget to see the forest full of trees!

I'll check it out this weekend.

bairdduvessa
12-08-2006, 04:16 AM
ok my book came in, and i reread the first part!

And I have again fallen in love with the first book. Without giving anything away from the future books and chapters, I remember that each one builds and makes me fall in love with them at the expense of a previous one. Kind of like datnig in high school (if i remember right).
But now I have reread the first part of the first book-and it's like seeing a lover again. All the unrequetted(sp) emotions, build in a symphony of endorphins. Each word like a beautifuly haunting balled. Holst or Tichelli at their best.
The art wrok is raw, and lacks what we traditionaly think of David Mack art. No interwinding words, thoughts and dialogue. Instead straight art, straight story.
But you can see it begin to rise. You see that Mr. Mack's art is about to blossom.
The story itself sucks you in, even if you have read it before. Even if you read it on the daily site months ago. You still cannot but help but be sucked into the wonderful creative chaos that is this comic.
Each panel of each scene creates a beautiful story. Each image brings the characters' voices to life in your head.
In your mind from the first time you see them you know how Kabuki, Scarab, Tigerlily, the General etc, you know how they would sound if they were real.
I know I am not really talking about plot points, or summarising as I should, but I do not believe in that.
Kabuki to me is a wonderful piece of poetry, and this is the first stanza. And I do not wish to rape someone elses sonnet to find meaning. Instead I say what I have allready said. And hope that tohers instead find this for themselves.
I hope this book club starts back up again. PM me if it does.
~bairdduvessa

Foggy's Pal
12-08-2006, 07:25 AM
respond when you get it, so we can begin.....

Foggy's Pal
12-08-2006, 07:27 AM
I guess you did. I will read later. Sorry

bairdduvessa
12-08-2006, 07:36 AM
respond when you get it, so we can begin.....

what? I got nothing

Foggy's Pal
12-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I read a post from an earlier page without realizing it. sorry. I do however love your post from the previous page and share them....

MACK!
12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
ok my book came in, and i reread the first part!

And I have again fallen in love with the first book. Without giving anything away from the future books and chapters, I remember that each one builds and makes me fall in love with them at the expense of a previous one. Kind of like datnig in high school (if i remember right).
But now I have reread the first part of the first book-and it's like seeing a lover again. All the unrequetted(sp) emotions, build in a symphony of endorphins. Each word like a beautifuly haunting balled. Holst or Tichelli at their best.
The art wrok is raw, and lacks what we traditionaly think of David Mack art. No interwinding words, thoughts and dialogue. Instead straight art, straight story.
But you can see it begin to rise. You see that Mr. Mack's art is about to blossom.
The story itself sucks you in, even if you have read it before. Even if you read it on the daily site months ago. You still cannot but help but be sucked into the wonderful creative chaos that is this comic.
Each panel of each scene creates a beautiful story. Each image brings the characters' voices to life in your head.
In your mind from the first time you see them you know how Kabuki, Scarab, Tigerlily, the General etc, you know how they would sound if they were real.
I know I am not really talking about plot points, or summarising as I should, but I do not believe in that.
Kabuki to me is a wonderful piece of poetry, and this is the first stanza. And I do not wish to rape someone elses sonnet to find meaning. Instead I say what I have allready said. And hope that tohers instead find this for themselves.
~bairdduvessa

Hey!
I'm glad you got the book and thanks so much for the response to it!

Best!
David

Foggy's Pal
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I have only read Circle of Blood and Dreams. And ,well, what is done of the Alchemy, but I would love to discuss each book in depth. Maybe we can choose a part and begin, or start the whole thing over? I don't know anyone else who reads Kabuki, so it would be fun to get a different view of the work. I love it and am excited to discuss.....

bairdduvessa
12-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I have only read Circle of Blood and Dreams. And ,well, what is done of the Alchemy, but I would love to discuss each book in depth. Maybe we can choose a part and begin, or start the whole thing over? I don't know anyone else who reads Kabuki, so it would be fun to get a different view of the work. I love it and am excited to discuss.....

sure like i said, pick a chapter and i'll read it before i go to bed (anything but alchemy since i don't have that one)

Foggy's Pal
12-09-2006, 07:23 PM
How about Act 1- Ghosts in the Looking Glass? If I remember correctly, that chapter has some amazing imagery...looking forward to re-reading it. May take me a few days to respond. I'm a teacher and I own a chocolate shop- pretty busy time of year. But- I will get to it.

bairdduvessa
12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
How about Act 1- Ghosts in the Looking Glass? If I remember correctly, that chapter has some amazing imagery...looking forward to re-reading it. May take me a few days to respond. I'm a teacher and I own a chocolate shop- pretty busy time of year. But- I will get to it.

k

Foggy's Pal
12-10-2006, 05:35 AM
I love this chapter for so many reasons. First of all, we are presented with the story of her mother and her beginnings. Now her character has perspective and isn't such a mystery- we know where she gets her motivation. But the thing I love the most about the story telling is that it seems to be circular on almost all accounts. IN the beginning, her mother plays a woman who has returned as a ghost to avenge her family. In the end it is Kabuki who has returned from death and hides behind a mask to avenge her family. Also, at the beginning we have Oni being questioned about killing rival gangs which would make it easier for Kai. We later find out that it was Kai himself who had made those orders. Scarab was right to question him. Both mother and daughter were disfigured in their faces because of their likeness to Kai's real mother.
Now, I love the choice of Ride of the Valkyries when the General is playing piano as Kabuki is almost killed. Kabuki takes the proverbial trip to Valhalla to return again to fight and get revenge. It's a small thing but so elegantly planned.
Last thing for now, I love the progressive art, kind of an Escher thing. When the mother is dying and Kabuki is going stronger within her. Each panel shows the mother wasting away and Kabuki becoming stronger until in the last panel she is there with her mask- kind of the ghost she will be for the rest of the story. Just beautiful. It reminds me of "Dreams" where Mack does this when Kabuki is coming to grips with her mother's death and all that is left is a half moon in the sky. He is a genius. Thoughts?

bairdduvessa
12-15-2006, 04:57 AM
ok i just reread Ghosts in the Looking Glass.-which is near its end on the Newsarama site as well. I'm going to put this all in spoilers so that others who may be new will not well get spoiled.

One of my favorite artistic images occurs in this chapter. And that is the features of the mother's face mealting into the wings of a bird.
Another image after kabuki "dies" of her mother, has her hair in the shape that resembles the shape of the dragon on Kabuki's back.
towards the end there is an image of the general sitting over his figurines his face looking like the bark of a tree.
This arch brings about my friendly jealousy in mr mack!'s artwork. each woman has a body completely different from each other. Each has their own shape, their own shadows...
We also begin to see the "crayon" affects. At one point after the mother looses her eyes, her floating eyes are scratche dout, like a child's drawing. Capturing the anger and sadness that only a child can show.
I admit I suck when it comes to "imagery", and defining what means what. But I love the fact that the general is playing ride of the valkreys as his angel of death is being killed/reborn.

Foggy's Pal
12-15-2006, 07:22 AM
The eyes being scratched out are part of the continuation images I mentioned, but I had not thought about the childlike scratching. I kept wondering why he had done that- the straight lines kind of matched the twigs, but I hadn't thought of the childlike anger... good stuff.

bairdduvessa
12-15-2006, 12:55 PM
The eyes being scratched out are part of the continuation images I mentioned, but I had not thought about the childlike scratching. I kept wondering why he had done that- the straight lines kind of matched the twigs, but I hadn't thought of the childlike anger... good stuff.

similar imagry is used in the daredevil echo stories

Foggy's Pal
12-16-2006, 12:52 PM
similar imagry is used in the daredevil echo stories

Yeah, the imagery really took those two Echo arcs to a new level of storytelling. I know Echo is making a comeback this spring. I just wish that Mack would be working on some new Echo stories. He really nails the sensory language of both Daredevil and Echo.

bairdduvessa
12-16-2006, 05:07 PM
ya hear that mack! new mack echo stories PLEASE!

Foggy's Pal
12-18-2006, 09:18 AM
The last thing I have to say about "Ghosts" and the Kabuki story in general is this- I will use spoilers, but this is more thematic than plot and really gives away nothing.

I really like how Mack opposes the very technical and morally depraved society with heroines who are symbollically named after the moon and rain. I love the opposition of nature and science, or to be more specific technology. It worked so well in Star Wars with the "farmboy" turning off his targeting computer, as it does here. The light saber is an elegant weapon just as the agents of the Noh are. I'm not sure exactly what Mack's intent was with the names, but I know that nature is very important in Japanese culture- maybe I'm seeing too much. Thoughts?

bairdduvessa
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
The last thing I have to say about "Ghosts" and the Kabuki story in general is this- I will use spoilers, but this is more thematic than plot and really gives away nothing.

I really like how Mack opposes the very technical and morally depraved society with heroines who are symbollically named after the moon and rain. I love the opposition of nature and science, or to be more specific technology. It worked so well in Star Wars with the "farmboy" turning off his targeting computer, as it does here. The light saber is an elegant weapon just as the agents of the Noh are. I'm not sure exactly what Mack's intent was with the names, but I know that nature is very important in Japanese culture- maybe I'm seeing too much. Thoughts?

neat ideas

MACK!
01-14-2007, 03:17 AM
I appreciate your feedback on the issue.

Foggy's Pal
01-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Hey B, do you want to go on with the next chapter in the book?

bairdduvessa
01-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey B, do you want to go on with the next chapter in the book?

i haven't had much time for reading lately. give me a few days?

Foggy's Pal
01-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Take all the time you need. If I get a chance, I will probably read it and post something. Don't feel rushed; I just don't have a ton of extra time either, so I will take advantage of the time I have.

bairdduvessa
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
ok i finaly reread book three.
the book focuses in on letting you know the different agents of the noh and what their skills/personalities are like. However they through in the books villans before Siamese. Which was interesting And I don't know quite what to make of it. I really wish I coupld give you guys something deep and hardcore here, but I can't. This issue was straight foward and is a definate must read to under stand later books. The characters are right htere for you and your amature psych minds to desect! And it's fun doing it too.
The coolest sequence has to deal with the character dove. Sadly I can't remember the pay off on it. Sadly is the wrong word, because now I can't wait to try and find out what happens!
Also for those who missed it, the siamese double page was up on newsarama a few days ago and looked inscredible!

Foggy's Pal
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I would have to agree with most of what you said. This portion of the book did seem to establish character more than anything. Three things that i found particularly interesting were: Butoh has a bar code on her chest with soul written under it. As if she has sold her soul to this life, or maybe it's just symbolic of her being an "object" of vengeance. Any thoughts? Another interesting tidbit was the use of "off with their heads" from Alice in Wonderland. Used on the page with all of the other pop culture- not sure if it just fits as pop culture or if it is commentary on Kai himself. Also fits in nicely as a transition from the previous page. Lastly, I absolutley love the five pages of progressive panels that start with Dove. David is a master of this. His use of possitive and negative space jumps off of the page. Awesome.

bairdduvessa
01-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I would have to agree with most of what you said. This portion of the book did seem to establish character more than anything. Three things that i found particularly interesting were: Butoh has a bar code on her chest with soul written under it. As if she has sold her soul to this life, or maybe it's just symbolic of her being an "object" of vengeance. Any thoughts? Another interesting tidbit was the use of "off with their heads" from Alice in Wonderland. Used on the page with all of the other pop culture- not sure if it just fits as pop culture or if it is commentary on Kai himself. Also fits in nicely as a transition from the previous page. Lastly, I absolutley love the five pages of progressive panels that start with Dove. David is a master of this. His use of possitive and negative space jumps off of the page. Awesome.

wow um the barcode i just saw a part of saying that society has made individuals into products.

Foggy's Pal
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
To begin Act 3: Broken-

What stands out most to me is when Mack quotes Hamlet's sililoquy, "To sleep perchance to dream...." This really is where Kabuki's life begins after death. She has, up until the moment she began training, become Hamlet- a person of no action, rendered helpless by circumstance. She can't even do the one thing she loves, the piano, because of the painful memory of being beaten nearly to death with Ride of the Valkyries being played in the background. And Valkyries couldn't be more symbolic with her return from the dead. Where Hamlet continues his no-action course until forced into action, Kabuki begins a new life with her training- she essentially becomes a living weapon. I also love the training scene in positive and negative space. Tarantino used this so well with Kill Bill. I also love the progressive page with the moon and her mother- as her mother is killed and lost forever, her symbol becomes Kabuki's weapon. Beautiful stuff, thoughts?

When we get to "Dreams" we should start a new thread and see if we can get more people on board. This has been a lot fun.

bairdduvessa
02-27-2007, 06:47 AM
sorry i haven't been around to read

Foggy's Pal
02-27-2007, 08:56 AM
It's all good. You can check out my thoughts when you finish. I just read Volume 3 "The Masks of Noh" and was pleasantly suprised to see the development of the other characters. I will probably order Volume 4 pretty soon, so I'm good for the long haul.

MACK!
05-26-2007, 11:27 PM
It's all good. You can check out my thoughts when you finish. I just read Volume 3 "The Masks of Noh" and was pleasantly suprised to see the development of the other characters. I will probably order Volume 4 pretty soon, so I'm good for the long haul.

Glad you guys are enjoying the books and discussing!

Sam Little
05-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Well, so far I've read about half of Circle of Blood and am mightily impressed. Pretty amazing, complex work. Astonishing to think it was done at age 21. I love the repetition of symbols and panels and the whole circle of blood motif. There seems to be many layers at work here. I'd probably enjoy it even more I weren't so shallow.:)

Anyway, good stuff so far. I'll probably finish it up with the weekend.

One question: I found the use of the Shingen image as Snow a bit distracting. What was the thinking behind this? Just a Miller homage?

Sam Little
06-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Well, this thread seems to be quite dead.

Oh well. Finished Circle of Blood. Loved it. The art seemed to step up to a new level of greatness in the final chapter (though it was already pretty spectacular).

I'm now a Kabuki convert, so I'll be picking up the next couple of volumes soon.

My only complaint is that the TPB cover fell off about 3/4 of the way through the first read. I kinda think the cover should last at least one read through.

MACK!
06-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, so far I've read about half of Circle of Blood and am mightily impressed. Pretty amazing, complex work. Astonishing to think it was done at age 21. I love the repetition of symbols and panels and the whole circle of blood motif. There seems to be many layers at work here. I'd probably enjoy it even more I weren't so shallow.:)

Anyway, good stuff so far. I'll probably finish it up with the weekend.

One question: I found the use of the Shingen image as Snow a bit distracting. What was the thinking behind this? Just a Miller homage?

Thanks for the kind words about this.
On your question, I guess that is one moment in the book where my young age kind of made a young age decision. I had worked most of my influences out of my system in my works before this, but at that age, I guess that homage still grabbed me.
I don't know if it is good or bad, but I know I would do that moment differently now.

Now onto your next post :)

MACK!
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, this thread seems to be quite dead.

Oh well. Finished Circle of Blood. Loved it. The art seemed to step up to a new level of greatness in the final chapter (though it was already pretty spectacular).

I'm now a Kabuki convert, so I'll be picking up the next couple of volumes soon.

My only complaint is that the TPB cover fell off about 3/4 of the way through the first read. I kinda think the cover should last at least one read through.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the kind words on this book and the art stepping up a level in the last chapter. I agree with that.
I tried to make the art step into a new ground in each issue, but with the last two chapters, and especially the final one, I think I really found myself outside of my comfort zone and in brand new territory that just kind of worked with the momentum of the story.

Glad you heare you are a convert and will be picking up the next volumes soon! My favorites of the collections are vol 4- SKIN DEEP and especially vol 5- METAMORPHOSIS.
I really look forward to hearing what you think of those.

I think you may hae gotten a bum copy if the cover fell off in your first read. Diamond and the publisher have a return policy about that, so you should have no trouble asking your local shop to let the distributore know and get you a new copy if you turn in the bum one.

Comic shops do this all the time, as a portion of books can sometimes have a fault. I'm sure they will have no problem getting the distributor and publisher to replace it.

Especially since you are getting the next volumes too. Please give my grattitude to your comic shop for carrying my work and making in available to you and thier readers.

And if you have any problem with this let me know and I will make some calls or send you one.

best,
david

Sam Little
06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey David,
Awfully cool of you to reply to these posts personally. :)

No worries about the cover, I just glued it back on myself. I ordered it from Amazon, so returns are kind of a pain. I think it'll be OK.

I plan to pick up volumes two and three when I'm back in the states next month (I am compelled to read everything in order).

Looking forward to the introduction of color to the Kabuki universe.

I'll continue to post my thoughts on subsequent volumes since you've made me feel so welcome. :)

Thanks!

MACK!
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey David,
Awfully cool of you to reply to these posts personally. :)

No worries about the cover, I just glued it back on myself. I ordered it from Amazon, so returns are kind of a pain. I think it'll be OK.

I plan to pick up volumes two and three when I'm back in the states next month (I am compelled to read everything in order).

Looking forward to the introduction of color to the Kabuki universe.

I'll continue to post my thoughts on subsequent volumes since you've made me feel so welcome. :)

Thanks!

Great to hear.
I hope you are digging it.

Metamorphosis is my favorite of the collections.
And the current Alchemy story at Marvel's Icon, is my all time fave right now.
It will be nice to see what you think of those, reading from the beginning and in order.