PDA

View Full Version : vote with your wallets? BS?

DeluxeVoltron
06-18-2006, 11:40 AM
whenever a rant appears about the low-quality of a book, creators and any others who are keen on the way the industry works weigh in with their 'vote with your wallets' argument. buy the good ones. dont buy the bad ones. this is the only way they can hear you.
but its just about stopped making sense. why in gods name would a book like civil war outsell dmz, cable&deadpool, SIP and invincible combined if quality is really represented by sales?

whats wrong with the walletvote? the idea itself is inherently flawed, obviously unbalanced. a fair system of voting doesn't calculate the weight of a persons wallet. but i wouldnt expect anything more from a business. whatever sells is good. whatever sells more is better. the problem is that comics arent your typical product. the problem is that comics have two functions. first they entertain us. then they collect dust and supposedly increase in value. remember the crash of the 90s? when people realized that everyone had 5 copies of supermans funeral? and it was a terrible issue? the scary thing is that the near-crash of the industry was the only time ive ever seen more variant covers than now. the only time ive ever seen more people coming into a shop buying 5 copies of a particular title.

theres a new angle appearing in comic sales. entertainment news has begun delving into modern comics. people are coming into my shop asking for 'this marvel war2 book' or 'batwoman #1.' which seems kinda cool at first when i throw my elitism aside and realize new people are walking into my store. but then it seems drastically less cool when they simply buy 5 issues of civil war and leave, or find out im sold out or that what theyre asking for simply doesnt exist and leave without even looking at what else might be out.

the ignorant prospectors are back. and im just hoping that the industry isnt shortsighted enough to continue catering to them. to begin sacrificing a good, well-paced story for this bogus 'shocking' shit that makes me want to crap myself to death.

readers, vote with your wallets. but vote harder than ever with your rants and praises. we must protect our balls

Fake Pat
06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
why in gods name would a book like civil war outsell dmz, cable&deadpool, SIP and invincible combined if quality is really represented by sales?

because it's better?
:cool:

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Your ideas intrigue me. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

My cousin was one of those in the '90s that only bought books for potential worth. Then I'd go to his house and see something I hadn't been able to find that he had, and when I asked to read it, I wasn't allowed because I'd "lower the value". Fucker.

ds9
06-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I like Civil War

Donal DeLay
06-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I like Civil War And I like lamp.

A.Huerta
06-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Most readers are afraid to try new books, like invincible and so on. Also Civil War is tight.

Shwicaz
06-18-2006, 12:32 PM
If people come into your store as speculators and not as 'regular' customers, is that a bad thing?

Are you selling them the books they are asking for?

Or would you rather turn these people away because they aren't the type of clientele that you would prefer....?

:mistrust:

ds9
06-18-2006, 12:47 PM
If people come into your store as speculators and not as 'regular' customers, is that a bad thing?

Or would you rather turn these people away because they aren't the type of clientele that you would prefer....?

:mistrust:Hes the infamous comicbook guy.

Ben Weldon
06-18-2006, 12:55 PM
whenever a rant appears about the low-quality of a book, creators and any others who are keen on the way the industry works weigh in with their 'vote with your wallets' argument. buy the good ones. dont buy the bad ones. this is the only way they can hear you.
but its just about stopped making sense. why in gods name would a book like civil war outsell dmz, cable&deadpool, SIP and invincible combined if quality is really represented by sales?

whats wrong with the walletvote? the idea itself is inherently flawed, obviously unbalanced. a fair system of voting doesn't calculate the weight of a persons wallet. but i wouldnt expect anything more from a business. whatever sells is good. whatever sells more is better. the problem is that comics arent your typical product. the problem is that comics have two functions. first they entertain us. then they collect dust and supposedly increase in value. remember the crash of the 90s? when people realized that everyone had 5 copies of supermans funeral? and it was a terrible issue? the scary thing is that the near-crash of the industry was the only time ive ever seen more variant covers than now. the only time ive ever seen more people coming into a shop buying 5 copies of a particular title.

theres a new angle appearing in comic sales. entertainment news has begun delving into modern comics. people are coming into my shop asking for 'this marvel war2 book' or 'batwoman #1.' which seems kinda cool at first when i throw my elitism aside and realize new people are walking into my store. but then it seems drastically less cool when they simply buy 5 issues of civil war and leave, or find out im sold out or that what theyre asking for simply doesnt exist and leave without even looking at what else might be out.

the ignorant prospectors are back. and im just hoping that the industry isnt shortsighted enough to continue catering to them. to begin sacrificing a good, well-paced story for this bogus 'shocking' shit that makes me want to crap myself to death.

readers, vote with your wallets. but vote harder than ever with your rants and praises. we must protect our balls

Wow, how incredibly condescending.

Shwicaz
06-18-2006, 12:59 PM
why in gods name would a book like civil war outsell dmz, cable&deadpool, SIP and invincible combined if quality is really represented by sales?

It might have to do with the fact that everyone has their own idea of what appeals to them.

Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean the people reading those books are in some way flawed.

Hypester23
06-18-2006, 01:54 PM
"Vote with your wallets" became BS to me a long time ago.

When Marvel was whining that they had to keep comic prices high because of low sales, sale sky rocketing, and prices went up...the argument pretty much went out the window.

I do like your point about catering to the speculators, though. The Life of Reily article on the Clone Saga and how the money men took it over from the creators is a perfect example of that.

DeluxeVoltron
06-18-2006, 02:01 PM

yes and no. no because selling things is always cool. yes because its never cool to have to tell somebody whos actually enjoying a title that the whole town is sold out because theres a few guys with 20 copies already sealed.

yes and no. if i have what theyre looking for ill sell them a max of 2 copies unless its something we have a shit ton of, or they informed me they would want as many before we placed the order. [/quote]

i never turn anybody away from my store or from comics. as a business our preferred clientele is... clientele. i do everything i can to make sure they get what they wanted and know about everything that they may be interested in. i realize i was being condescending. but i dont feel that way toward the people that are buying the comics. im really just afraid of how the inudstry will react when they realize that, once again, a shocking milestone issue outsells a well-written one by a sickening margin.