PDA

View Full Version : Printmaking

andrew french
06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
do any of you artists have any experience with printmaking?

i'm an illustration major right now, with one year down.

i don't really care about illustration; i picked it at orientation because it was the closest i could get to cartooning. i thought it could be a fallback?

my art teachers have told me once i get to a certain point in the school, i can do whatever i want, but still, from what i've heard... illustration just sounds kinda boring.

incidentally, both of my drawing teachers this year were printmaking majors, so i'm going to email them about it.

at MoCCA, i talked to a few people about it, and it sounds very interesting... and very fun.

does anyone here have experience...eh?

andrew french
06-15-2006, 09:43 PM
i see through a search that alex maleev has a background in printmaking.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-15-2006, 09:48 PM
It sounds like something that would benefit your cartooning. But I wouldn't really know.

Rosdower 3.0
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm taking a screen printing class at a local art gallery right now...and I'm loving it! I'm making a shirt, simple design/one color. I took a 'novice' class last fall with the same instructor and did a print of Samus (video game Metroid character).

Anyway, that is pretty much my extent in the print making world. But with water-based inks and minimal effort, you too can be a screen printer. Its both fun and easy!!!

That being said, I went to school for animation, have a full time job video editing, and now enjoy screen printing as a hobby. Point being, never know what road you'll end up on, just enjoy the ride.

Now, I have to get to painting a Munny (www.kidrobot.com/munny) for a gallery show in August.

~Hernandez~
06-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Printmaking is hella fun, man. I only took it for one semester but learned alot. i still piss around with woodcuts when I can. I would totally recommend trying it out. And after taking the classes, you'll go to cons and say "Prints are $15. Those aren't prints, those are photocopies!"

andrew french
06-15-2006, 10:04 PM
It sounds like something that would benefit your cartooning. But I wouldn't really know.

i hope so.

my one drawing teacher brought in a lot of examples from his friends, when they went to some kind of "printmaking retreat", and a lot of it looked very cool... some similar to a cartooning style of drawing.

andrew french
06-15-2006, 10:05 PM
I'm taking a screen printing class at a local art gallery right now...and I'm loving it! I'm making a shirt, simple design/one color. I took a 'novice' class last fall with the same instructor and did a print of Samus (video game Metroid character).

Anyway, that is pretty much my extent in the print making world. But with water-based inks and minimal effort, you too can be a screen printer. Its both fun and easy!!!

That being said, I went to school for animation, have a full time job video editing, and now enjoy screen printing as a hobby. Point being, never know what road you'll end up on, just enjoy the ride.

Now, I have to get to painting a Munny (www.kidrobot.com/munny) for a gallery show in August.

cool, i'm interested in doing screen printing.

what i'd like to get into are lithographs(??)

you see, i don't know so much about printmaking. i've learned about it this year, but i get a lot of it mixed up.

i'd like to do the ... more simplistic two color prints to start off.

andrew french
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Printmaking is hella fun, man. I only took it for one semester but learned alot. i still piss around with woodcuts when I can. I would totally recommend trying it out. And after taking the classes, you'll go to cons and say "Prints are $15. Those aren't prints, those are photocopies!"

haha, that kinda brings up a point... i asked one of my teachers what relevance printmaking holds today, and she just kinda admitted that she's asked herself that everyday.

i actually did a printmaking project in high school.

it was etching on a metal plate, then i covered the plate in ink, and ran it through a press. it was cool.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
i hope so.

my one drawing teacher brought in a lot of examples from his friends, when they went to some kind of "printmaking retreat", and a lot of it looked very cool... some similar to a cartooning style of drawing.

I can imagine you carving out each panel of a comic on seperate blocks, then individually pressing them down on paper.

Though, you'd have to write the dialouge backwards, hahaha.

andrew french
06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I can imagine you carving out each panel of a comic on seperate blocks, then individually pressing them down paper.

oooh, i'd definitely want to do that once, at least.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-15-2006, 10:38 PM
oooh, i'd definitely want to do that once, at least.

It'd be a cool experiment.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Printmaking is great. I've studied both silkscreen and intaglio methods. I was thinking about taking a litho class, but decided against it (I'd rather paint instead).
There are so many ways to create a print, and it's really easy to learn while difficult to master, which really explains a lot about its popularity as a major. Silkscreen seems to be my favorite at the moment, because it's faster and allows me to use my own drawings as a source more easily than say woodcut or linoleum, and I can print it on just about anything I can think of.
Intaglio is interesting, to say the least. It's very intensive, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the craftsmanship that goes into really good etchings.

Ben Rosen
06-17-2006, 05:06 AM
at my grandparents house up in maine, my grandma has a painting studio. we order these floppy rubber blocks for, like, elementary school printmaking. i go crazy. it's so fun.

andrew french
06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Printmaking is great. I've studied both silkscreen and intaglio methods. I was thinking about taking a litho class, but decided against it (I'd rather paint instead).
There are so many ways to create a print, and it's really easy to learn while difficult to master, which really explains a lot about its popularity as a major. Silkscreen seems to be my favorite at the moment, because it's faster and allows me to use my own drawings as a source more easily than say woodcut or linoleum, and I can print it on just about anything I can think of.
Intaglio is interesting, to say the least. It's very intensive, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the craftsmanship that goes into really good etchings.

cool. from the sounds of it, silkscreening is something i'd really like to get into.

though, of what i've done, i've really enjoyed etching.

so you say you'd rather paint that take a lithograph class, eh?

Corwin: Bear Fighter
06-17-2006, 04:12 PM
cool. from the sounds of it, silkscreening is something i'd really like to get into.

though, of what i've done, i've really enjoyed etching.

so you say you'd rather paint that take a lithograph class, eh?

Painting all the way. I figured I've done enough printmaking courses, and lithography is supposed to be the most intensive. Meanwhile, it's been a year since I took my last painting class (I don't count watercolor), and I'd like to get some more time in with that before graduating.

james michael
06-17-2006, 04:13 PM
i did it in high school...

it was fairly easy...

andrew french
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
i did it in high school...

it was fairly easy...

oh yeah?

Dannñ B
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
In middle school, we did linoleum prints. I'd cut a design out of a piece of linoleum and put in some paint and then press it on some paper. Really basic.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
07-13-2006, 03:29 PM
i see through a search that alex maleev has a background in printmaking.
BA in printmaking.

andrew french
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
would you recommend it?

Alex(sadly)Maleev
07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
would you recommend it?
Like nothing else in the world! One day when I am done with comics, I'll get back to it.

andrew french
07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Like nothing else in the world! One day when I am done with comics, I'll get back to it.

awesome.

i'm seriously considering switching majors, even though i'm not sure how i'd use printmaking to make... any money. i mean, i know being in art, i'm pretty much screwed anyway, but ... illustration sucks.

andrew french
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
i'm changing my schedule now.

for some reason, i'm really hesitant to get out of illustration... probably because i still don't know what i want to do with printmaking exactly... i'd just be switching to the intro to printmaking, but i'm really nervous.