PDA

View Full Version : Is industrial music dead?

King of Mars
06-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I know NIN and Ministry/Revolting Cocks are still going strong but I realized recently that I'm not hearing much from a lot of the old industrial/semi-industrial bands that I used to listen to back in the day. Bands like Frontline Assembly, KMFDM, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult, and Skinny Puppy. Have these bands packed it in...or am I just completely out of touch with the "industrial" scene?

Chris McCarver
06-11-2006, 12:13 PM
It's nowhere near the heyday it was once in. Kinda sad really. Some of my favorite bands came from that genre.

Kenneth I. Wolfe
06-11-2006, 12:17 PM
If secondhand smoke is bad, then the industrial music revolution would have killed everyone.

Mr. E!
06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Can overproduced electronic screchy music truly be said to have been alive in the first place?

THAT Sean!
06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
KMFDM's last album, Hau Ruck, was so-so. Came out in 2005, I think. Their quality from album to album is so all-over-the-place...

Overall, though, industrial seems to have gone underground. I mean, could you even call The Fragile and With Teeth "industrial"?

lovewillkill
06-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I know NIN and Ministry/Revolting Cocks are still going strong but I realized recently that I'm not hearing much from a lot of the old industrial/semi-industrial bands that I used to listen to back in the day. Bands like Frontline Assembly, KMFDM, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult, and Skinny Puppy. Have these bands packed it in...or am I just completely out of touch with the "industrial" scene?

KMFDM has been coming out with a new album every other year lately (and they tour for each album). I agree with McKeever about Hau Ruck. It's kinda hit and miss in places, but with more hits than misses.

And Nitzer Ebb's got an American tour slated for later this year.

I never really understood why Industrial never got bigger than it did. Especially when I listen to a lot of new music, be it pop, rock, movie soundtracks or even music in commercials, and I hear a huge Industrial influence.

lwk

DaveCummings
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I never really understood why Industrial never got bigger than it did. Especially when I listen to a lot of new music, be it pop, rock, movie soundtracks or even music in commercials, and I hear a huge Industrial influence.

lwk

Exactly. Then again, you could argue that with things in other mediums. You could say the same thing about HK martial arts movies with elements of that being used more and more heavily in movies. But I totally agree.

~Dave

Justin.Strange
06-11-2006, 04:39 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c6/ForNeverandEver-KillHannah.png/600px-ForNeverandEver-KillHannah.png

gwyllgi
06-11-2006, 04:51 PM
... when industrial's good, it's great, when it's bad, it's unfathomably bad.

... i do hope you aren't saying kill hannah's industrial? O.O

Justin.Strange
06-11-2006, 05:16 PM
... when industrial's good, it's great, when it's bad, it's unfathomably bad.

... i do hope you aren't saying kill hannah's industrial? O.O

I wouldnt call them "industrial" in the purest way, but they're definitely industrial influenced in the sense of bands like Stabbing Westward. And they're fucking awesome!

Chris McCarver
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
You wanna talk a really underrated industrial CD?

The Batman Beyond soundtrack.

Love that disc and STILL play it while I'm drawing.

Masculine Todd
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't see it ever being as big as it was in it's mid-ninties hayday, but it still has a devoted following. Plus, there are a few guys like Nine Inch Nails that are still quite mainstream. Their album from last year debuted at #1, and was damn good.