PDA

View Full Version : New gay character in Marvel Team-Up

Doc Beechler
06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I find it fascinating that Batwoman can cause a ruckus, but Kirkman is writing about a new, openly gay, male superhero in a book with a HUGE Marvel logo and an "A" (which I assume is an all-ages rating without writing it out in order not to turn off the teens and older readers who are too cool for that) rating without a peep. I gotta admit, this character Curtis (aka Freedom Ring) is refreshing in that his orientation is never made into a big deal. He's dating a guy, hiding his new powers from him, and teaming up with Spidey. He's also a Green Lantern-type hero with limitations I can actually wrap my head around. I like that we're finally to a place where this character, along with Maggie Sawyer, Hulkling, Wiccan, and Karolina (in Runaways) can be fully realized people, not merely soap boxes for a social-political viewpoint.

Gregory
06-09-2006, 12:47 PM
The news outlets only know what the comic press releases tell them. If Marvel or DC says nothing, no one except us will know.

Blandy vs Terrorism
06-09-2006, 12:47 PM
On that note, welcome to the board.

Stay away from Cathy.

:beer:

Brian Defferding
06-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the board! Hold on I gotta go find some haggis here in the back room...

Ryan Elliott
06-09-2006, 12:50 PM
The reason Batwoman is making such a fuss is becuase she was already an established character who died AND becuase she has BAT in her name.

A.Huerta
HE's a pretty cool character. Kinda like a cheap version of GL, but we'll see.

Doug
Batwoman is only causing a ruckus because of the press releases. The same thing happened with the Rawhide Kid.

Brian Defferding
06-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Found some! Didn't have time to cook it though. Hope that's okay!

http://www.turcich.org/Images/random/slides/Haggis.JPG

Doc Beechler
06-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Ya know, I go to a Presbyterian church and, being Scottish in origin and all, we had a festival this spring where haggis was involved. I gotta admit, I kinda liked it.

And, I agree, it's much easier to write a news story on BATwoman than Freedom Ring (who?), but it was a refreshing step seeing gay characters as just part of successful comics. Scott Pilgrim's roommate is another great character who just happens to be gay.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I just finished listening to the four hour Bendis tapes on Wordballoon...great stuff.

Corey A.
06-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi

:taint punch:

Welcome to the ol' Bendo Board!

Ray G.
06-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I was very impressed with the portrayal. I loved how matter-of-fact it was.

MrClown
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Marvel isn't very good at naming their gay characters. First you've got "Ass Guardian," and now Freedom Ring. The latter sounds like a gay sex act to me, and the less said about the former, the better. At least they changed his name. "Northstar" is okay, though, and so is "Rawhide Kid."

Ryan Elliott
06-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Marvel isn't very good at naming their gay characters. First you've got "Ass Guardian," and now Freedom Ring. The latter sounds like a gay sex act to me, and the less said about the former, the better. At least they changed his name. "Northstar" is okay, though, and so is "Rawhide Kid."

Rawhide Kid is okay? You sure about that?

Keith P.
06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
This is the guy who has a ring made out of a piece of one of the cosmic cubes right?

I'd totally be like "Ok, Tom Ford, Henry Rollins, Jesse James (the car guy, not the outlaw), and a bathtub full of pudding!" *concentrate*

Brad N.
06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the board, Doc! Enjoy your stay

Katamari
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Ya know, I go to a Presbyterian church and, being Scottish in origin and all, we had a festival this spring where haggis was involved. I gotta admit, I kinda liked it.

pfffft diet-scots!

anyway. welcome.

Shepherd
06-09-2006, 03:53 PM
I find it fascinating that Batwoman can cause a ruckus, but Kirkman is writing about a new, openly gay, male superhero in a book with a HUGE Marvel logo and an "A" (which I assume is an all-ages rating without writing it out in order not to turn off the teens and older readers who are too cool for that) rating without a peep. I gotta admit, this character Curtis (aka Freedom Ring) is refreshing in that his orientation is never made into a big deal. He's dating a guy, hiding his new powers from him, and teaming up with Spidey. He's also a Green Lantern-type hero with limitations I can actually wrap my head around. I like that we're finally to a place where this character, along with Maggie Sawyer, Hulkling, Wiccan, and Karolina (in Runaways) can be fully realized people, not merely soap boxes for a social-political viewpoint.

Indianapolis, eh? I'm originally from Fort Wayne, but my brother lives in Indy, and I know the area really well. Actually, when I visit my family in the US, we sometimes have little Bendis Board get-togethers down in Indy. Where abouts do you live?

R