PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii at E3 - What do you think we'll see?

Evan Wiener
05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
What surprises do you think Nintendo has up their sleeves that will be revealed at E3 next week?

Vonn Hennigar
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Camera and microphone built into the Wii controllers,Price Point,Release Date,Twilight Princess Info and Very very very early talk of the next Mario.

Bervda
05-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I think we'll see a surprising number of third party games in development.

Definitive price and release date information.

Playable first-party launch titles (including a new Super Smash Bros.).

Video of the next Mario title, which will be vague as to what the Wii controller will add to the experience.

Tons of gamers getting off of Nintendo's back about a poorly chosen name for the new console once they've had the chance to play with said machine.

Ben
05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I heard rumors and saw a video of a demonstration for 3-D technology that's fully interactive.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Camera and microphone built into the Wii controllers,Price Point,Release Date,Twilight Princess Info and Very very very early talk of the next Mario.

I think they've said they won't release price point, and I hope they show video of the new Mario. But honestly, with Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros, Red Steel, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and who knows what else, they might actually want to hold back on him, which I'm surprised to say.

I wonder if they will reveal the rumored speaker on the wiimote as well, so that when you shoot a gun/swing a lightsaber/swing a bat, you have a more intimate sound effect.

Briomega
05-01-2006, 01:13 PM
There probably will be some interesting surprises on the software front, but I think the hardware side's been pretty well covered already. Doubt there will be much surprising info. coming out on that end that hasn't already been covered.

Kensington
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Satoru Iwata will absolutely show us his Wii. In fact, he will show it to everyone at E3, and he won't stop showing it until the whole world has seen his Wii.
:rofl: This is comedy gold. :rofl:

evilgenius
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Satoru Iwata will absolutely show us his Wii. In fact, he will show it to everyone at E3, and he won't stop showing it until the whole world has seen his Wii.
:rofl: This is comedy gold. :rofl:

Fuck! You posted the idea just before I could! Though I sort of envisioned the entire Nintendo Corporation showing off their Wii :(

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
There probably will be some interesting surprises on the software front, but I think the hardware side's been pretty well covered already. Doubt there will be much surprising info. coming out on that end that hasn't already been covered.

Rumor has it that there's still at least one more hardware surprise; having said that, it's probably something as small as a microphone in the wiimote or a speaker. I doubt anything bigger than that. But yeah, I think the focus will definitely be on software, and rightly so.

Vonn Hennigar
05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Whoa back up the Wiimote!!!!

Tell me that's official cause it's hilarious.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM

That's what the people at ign are calling it, I don't know if it's official but if it isn't I'm guessing it'll come into common usage. I mean, come on, it's too funny not to. Also, people are speculating if they're going to call their WiFi service WiiFi.

Evan Wiener
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Rumor has it that there's still at least one more hardware surprise; having said that, it's probably something as small as a microphone in the wiimote or a speaker. I doubt anything bigger than that. But yeah, I think the focus will definitely be on software, and rightly so.

Miyamato and others have said there are still hardware surprises on their Wii that have not been seen. I'm sure a microphone on the Wii controller is most likely, the speaker seems unnecessary.

Do you think the new Zelda will have Wii functionality out-of-the-box, or will we have to wait for a special edition Wii-enabled Zelda? What functions do you think it'll have?

Lab-Rat
05-01-2006, 01:41 PM

well..originally everyone was calling it the Revmote. but since the name change everyone has bee either calling it the Wiimote or the Wii Stick.

Briomega
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Miyamato and others have said there are still hardware surprises on their Wii that have not been seen. I'm sure a microphone on the Wii controller is most likely, the speaker seems unnecessary.

Do you think the new Zelda will have Wii functionality out-of-the-box, or will we have to wait for a special edition Wii-enabled Zelda? What functions do you think it'll have?

Pretty sure those comments were made awhile ago and before the recent accelerometer thing was found out. That probably was the last hardware secret left.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Definitely out of the box, just to push the system even more. From comments, it sounds like it'll have limited capabilities--I think he's already stated that it can be used for aiming arrows while on horseback, which is fantastic, but they've kept mum on most else. Hopefully they'll integrate it fully, but I could see them not doing so simply to give 3rd party titles that might involve a sword a shot.

Brian Reed
05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I will be seeing Nintendo's Wii, even touching it, in a dark room behind the main Nintendo booth.

Ben
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I will be seeing Nintendo's Wii, even touching it, in a dark room behind the main Nintendo booth.
Can I smell your fingers?

kari
05-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Bring me back one and I'll make sure you never go sheepless again.

Limited time offer so hurry!

-Noble

Evan Wiener
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Pretty sure those comments were made awhile ago and before the recent accelerometer thing was found out. That probably was the last hardware secret left.

Accelerometer? Never heard about it.

Briomega
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Accelerometer? Never heard about it.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150127

Natty P, Scientific Adventurer
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Maybe they'll announce that they're adding HD-output so that they don't alienate lots of potential buyers like myself.

Lab-Rat
05-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Maybe they'll announce that they're adding HD-output so that they don't alienate lots of potential buyers like myself.

Actually...the reason there is no HD output is due to the nature of the technology used in the wiimote to get it to work right. It's the same reason Lightguns don't work with component signals....or projectors.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150127

Yeah, looks like the Madden guys may have inadvertently unveiled the final secret, though some are saying there's still another. But if there's another, I don't think it'll be as big as this one, which sounds pretty damn cool to me.

05-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Actually...the reason there is no HD output is due to the nature of the technology used in the wiimote to get it to work right. It's the same reason Lightguns don't work with component signals....or projectors.

Well it still sucks ass and alienates alot of potential buyers. 2005 was the first year that hd-sets outsold analog sets, so the writing is pretty much on the wall.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 05:31 PM

I've never heard that before. In fact, the wiimote will work on a projector, at least according to the latest ign podcast.

05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I've never heard that before. In fact, the wiimote will work on a projector, at least according to the latest ign podcast.

It's the first I'd heard of it too.

I've heard it was to cut costs.

Lab-Rat
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I've heard that as well.

I'm not saying the wiimote won't work with projectors....I'm sorry, I was using the lightgun as an example. Lightguns won't work with HD or Projectors...unless you have one of those special Lightguns (which require you to place these wierd box things around you TV much like the wiimote will require). Even those, however don't work all that well.

The way I understood it, is that while the Wiimote does not use the exact technology used in the light gun...it is a similar technology, and has a few of the same limitations.

should have been a little more clear on that. And I could be totally wrong on that. I'm just basing that on what I've heard about the system.

05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Remember the power glove?

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I've heard that as well.

I'm not saying the wiimote won't work with projectors....I'm sorry, I was using the lightgun as an example. Lightguns won't work with HD or Projectors...unless you have one of those special Lightguns (which require you to place these wierd box things around you TV much like the wiimote will require). Even those, however don't work all that well.

The way I understood it, is that while the Wiimote does not use the exact technology used in the light gun...it is a similar technology, and has a few of the same limitations.

should have been a little more clear on that. And I could be totally wrong on that. I'm just basing that on what I've heard about the system.

I'm pretty sure the wiimote has nothing to do with HD. From every interview I've read, they cut HD because of cost and the processing power that HD requires.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Remember the power glove?

I love the power glove. It's so rad.

Evan Wiener
05-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Hmm.. so is this Wiimote NOT going to work well with project TVs? Oh man, if that's true, I'm out. I had the Wii as my system unless this is true.

Joe Henderson
05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Hmm.. so is this Wiimote NOT going to work well with project TVs? Oh man, if that's true, I'm out. I had the Wii as my system unless this is true.

The wiimote WILL work on projection TVs.

BGPu
05-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Nintendo will announce their plans to release an empty game case with "Legend of Zelda" artwork on the outside. The gaming press & online forums will be abuzz with how awesome the empty DVD case is and how they can't wait to buy it. Nintendo will sustain this buzz for 2+ years and the empty case will be released in time to coincide with the "Wii Lite" launch.

Lab-Rat
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Nintendo will announce their plans to release an empty game case with "Legend of Zelda" artwork on the outside. The gaming press & online forums will be abuzz with how awesome the empty DVD case is and how they can't wait to buy it. Nintendo will sustain this buzz for 2+ years and the empty case will be released in time to coincide with the "Wii Lite" launch.

wow...someone sounds bitter.

joeAR
05-02-2006, 08:04 AM
When the hell is E3 anyways?

Cth
05-02-2006, 08:12 AM

And some people mistakenly think *I* hate Nintendo?

Open your eyes and read people ;)

BGPu
05-02-2006, 11:19 AM

Hey, that joke is the equivalent of EA releasing an empty box with the Madden logo on the front, or Square doing the same with Final Fantasy.

Nintendo has a license to print money with the Zelda games. Everyone's going to go apeshit over them no matter what.

That said, Zelda was Nintendo's killer E3 announcement 2 years ago. One wonders what Nintendo's killer announcement will be this year, and whether we'll be playing it this year or if we'll still be waiting for it in 2008.

100 Marios was supposed to be a Gamecube launch title when they first showed it in 2000 and it's still "in the works" for Christ's sake...