PDA

View Full Version : Should LCS give free bags/boards and subscriber discounts?

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 01:58 AM
This question/thread arose out of the 'bags and board' thread, which can be found here:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68914

In that thread some posters remarked that they purchase what they consider a large amount of books.

Some seemed to complain that despite the fact that they got X number of books, their store doesn't give them 'free' bags and boards.

some mentioned that they get X number of books, and their store doesn't give them any sort of discount.

So, I put it to you, the customers/posters here...

Should your LCS give free bags and boards to all its customers?

Or only those who get X number of titles....?

Should people who get X number of titles get a percentage discount off their books based off of how many they buy...?

Why? or Why not?

As a manager (not the owner) of a comic store that doesn't give free bags/boards to subs/customers or offer any discount on subs I would be interested to hear your opinions either way.

Thanks.

alexlannin
05-01-2006, 01:59 AM
I did.
I went out of business :)

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 02:01 AM
I did.
I went out of business :)

ouch.

but do you feel that was the specific reason why, or were there other factors involved?

alexlannin
05-01-2006, 02:04 AM
ouch.

but do you feel that was the specific reason why, or were there other factors involved?
That wasn't the reason why at all, but it was an expense. The shop I worked for in college bagged and boarded everything and it really put them even more beyond their competition, so I used their model.
I just didn't have a college right outside my window...

Vonn Hennigar
05-01-2006, 02:59 AM
I got a Membership to my LCS as a christmas present all the way back in 1992. Back then it meant if you bought 4 books you got one free, I don't know if that worked for trades or not back then but even as a 14 year old i would buy all my expensive "Special Covers/Double Sized/Annuals" at once so i would get a bigger discount while buying my normal books on another day.

Now though all it gets me is a No GST tax (7%) on my purchases no matter what . Plus i accumalate points as in every purchase equals a certain amount of points which can be used to buy/discount future purchases. But to be honest i don't know what that specifically entails or how many points i currently have and all that minutia.

As for Bags and Boards i never expected or have ever recieved free ones so it's not much of an issue. Especially since 90% of my purchases since i got back into collecting a few years back have been nothing more than Trades and Hardcovers.

Jono
05-01-2006, 03:08 AM
My lcs offers a tiered discount to regular customers. I don't expect bags and boards, the guy has bills to pay and that shit gets expensive...

edit: I should also add that he runs monthly specials, like March was Black and White month, where all b&w trades and GN's were 20% off. He's had Alan Moore month, Warren Ellis month, etc...

it's just good business to do shit like that to drum up extra sales...

RøcketFrøg
05-01-2006, 03:42 AM
I would be in favor of some sort of percentage discount. Free bags and boards not so much,

I know that your large corporate competitor in the Boston area gives a sub discount, so it might be an incentive for other people who might happily sub with you rather than travel to one of their stores.

Jim.
05-01-2006, 03:42 AM
My comic shop(I use DCBS now) did not, and then when I started coming here everyone seemed to get one or the other, but I still can't find a shop near me that does either of these. I don't know if a shop SHOULD or HAS to, but from what I hear it's the norm to do one or the other if not both.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 03:47 AM
I know that your large corporate competitor in the Boston area gives a sub discount, so it might be an incentive for other people who might happily sub with you rather than travel to one of their stores.

Oddly enough, our sub list has actually grown over the past year, and that is without giving a discount.

I think people don't mind not having a discount when they get the variety of product that we offer.

A discount is nice, but I don't think our corporate competetor has half the variety we do.

RøcketFrøg
05-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Oddly enough, our sub list has actually grown over the past year, and that is without giving a discount.

I think people don't mind not having a discount when they get the variety of product that we offer.

A discount is nice, but I don't think our corporate competetor has half the variety we do.
You definitely win for variety. And for having a comic store where my fiancee doesn't feel uncomfortable. :D

But umm... I would be remiss if I didn't try to get my books cheaper.

SteveZegers
05-01-2006, 03:54 AM
I get $20 off for every $100 I spend (They keep track), no bags or boards. I think that's pretty generous. I don't board books anyway.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 04:06 AM
You definitely win for variety. And for having a comic store where my fiancee doesn't feel uncomfortable. :D

But umm... I would be remiss if I didn't try to get my books cheaper.

no worries, man.

that's why I put this topic out there.

Trying to see if we are out of the loop, bucking the trend, or doing alright.

:)

any and all feedback is appreciated and will be considered for discussion at our next staff meeting at the end of May.

*DISCLAIMER: DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING ANYTIME SOON, THIS IS JUST A MATTER I WOULD LIKE TO BRING UP FOR DISCUSSION. IT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN.

Shepherd
05-01-2006, 04:19 AM

Should people who get X number of titles get a percentage discount off their books based off of how many they buy...?

Why? or Why not?

The comic shop where I order puts free bags and boards on. I think one reason is to keep people from reading in-shop (but the boards aren't necessary for just that reason, and you can open them to browse if you ask first). But yes, I think regular customers or subscribers should get them for free if they want them. And yes, I think there should be a discount. At the shop I buy from:

All bags and boards are free.
10% off if you subscribe to over 10 titles.
25% off if you subscribe to over 30 titles.
Free previews if you spend more than $100 in one month.

R

Bill Nolan
05-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Very few businesses of other types charge MSRP, especially on new release day. Especially businesses which sell non-necessity entertainment/leisure products, whether disposable like comic books or not. Comic stores pay somewhere between 45-55 percent of the cover price of a comic, usually, so before outside costs they typically make around 100 percent profit on their basic investment. Giving a portion of that up in order to get a guaranteed sale makes a certain amount of sense to me, so long as customers are locked into buying what they sign up for. I've never seen the point of setting up a sub list if you don't get at least a minor discount. Maybe there's the convenience of not having to pay attention to what's on the new release rack, I guess.

I get 10 percent off at my LCS, but the free bags which I've been getting for 20 years or so there will be ending starting this week. I guess they no longer view the 2 cents or less a bag they were losing as an effective incentive to get folks to set up a sub list. Now I have to spend an extra $2.50 a couple times a year to make up for it that (if I buy a case of bags and boards from my LCS with my friend who sets up at cons, that's how much one unit of bags will cost me). That's not enough of an added burden to get me to switch my entire comic order to my monthly mail order service, I guess, but it might be for someone who actually reads a majority of DCU or Marvel U comics.

I guess it all does eat into the profits a little bit, but the guaranteed sale aspect of the deal should make up for it. My LCS used to let me pre-order every DC Archive for something like $35. There was no way I was going to pay full-price for them, and they knew that, so they figured getting $5 or so per book from me was worth the effort of marking a "1" on their Diamond order form and having the book included in the shipping cost for that week. Once that offer was rescinded, I stopped buying archives from them. They no longer get that $5 a month from me. Maybe it was no longer worth it to them to get that return on their investment, but I would spend all day paying $30 and getting back $35 for a minute's worth of effort... especially for long-term customers.

But I don't have a comic store to run, so maybe it isn't worth the effort. What do I know? I'm only one of thousands of completely mercenary comic customers looking for maximize what I get for my limited comic budget. Lots of folks don't have options. There are at least five other comic stores within easy driving distance which I could go to to get my books, so are stuck with one store within a 100 miles. No more free bags isn't going to make me switch after 20 years. Neither would no more discount. But I would certainly buy fewer comics there, and then they'd be making even less money off of me.

- Bill

justjeffery
05-01-2006, 04:31 AM
We offer a flat 10 percent discount to all folder customers.. but we're the smaller of the two shops in a town only big enough for one comic shop... so we're fighting for every customer we can get.

But I'll be the first to say that, as much as I love a discount, it's bad for the store. We're only making 50% (give or take) profit as is... and this drops us down to 40 right off the bat... throw in unsold copies and our profit margin gets smaller and smaller...

Dingo
05-01-2006, 04:48 AM
We offer a flat 10 percent discount to all folder customers.. but we're the smaller of the two shops in a town only big enough for one comic shop... so we're fighting for every customer we can get.

How big a town is that, population wise, just out of interest sake?

DeleriumTremens
05-01-2006, 04:49 AM
I think that a discount when a consumer has a certain number of issues on his pull list is a good idea. As long as the number of issues is high enough to get most of those customers to end up pulling comics they would otherwise not be buying or buying with less regularity.

deadboy
05-01-2006, 05:18 AM
All bags and boards are free.
10% off if you subscribe to over 10 titles.
25% off if you subscribe to over 30 titles.
Free previews if you spend more than $100 in one month.

R

DAYUM! I need to shop there. I get a 10% flat discount on my 20 subscribed books per month. I think if my shop had a system like that I'd probably find a way to add 10 titles per month just to get the extra 15% off.

I don't care what sort of incentive I get to walk into a shop, as long as that incentive is there. I'm not super diligent about walking into the LCS every wednesday right after work, so if I were to just set up my titles on one of the internet pull services it wouldn't break my heart. The reason I go in is because it's nice to see everything that comes out in a week(which ends up costing me more money) and the personal interaction is nice.

But if I wasn't getting some sort of premium then I could easily content myself to the happy surprise of the weekly/monthly box of comics shipped to me. My disposable income is spread pretty thin and X% off comics and/or free bags and boards goes a long way towards me being able to justify going to one LCS over another(or just ordering off the internet).

adamgreenberger
05-01-2006, 05:20 AM
I used to shop at a store that gave free bags and boards...they would bag anf board them for the subs and would have a box at the check-out with them for customers. The only think that sucked was it took all day to bag and board for the subs.

TIP
05-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Eh...the shop I go to doesn't...I really don't care.

T

dougmac
05-01-2006, 05:47 AM
My lcs offers a tiered discount to regular customers. I don't expect bags and boards, the guy has bills to pay and that shit gets expensive...

edit: I should also add that he runs monthly specials, like March was Black and White month, where all b&w trades and GN's were 20% off. He's had Alan Moore month, Warren Ellis month, etc...

it's just good business to do shit like that to drum up extra sales...
mine runs the same type of program/deal

mattbrand
05-01-2006, 05:58 AM
It would be nice, but I don't expect them to. I go to a pretty small shop, and just having it clean with my books ready on Wednesday afternoon has me very happy with the shop right now.

Plus, as others have posted, I get 20% off my pull list, and 20% off trades I order through them.

greg donovan
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
my LCS used to offer 20% and gave away bags and boards w/every new comic purchased whether you subscribe or not.

however, he decided to do some improvements to the store so he dropped the discount to 10% but kept the boards and bags.

after a year or so of doing this he was able to expand to the empty office space next door and double his floorspace, add 4 32"TVs and 4 x-boxes for in store rental.

joeAR
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
I would love it if that were the case cause the boards cost 9bucks for a pack and bags cost 5 dollars and I buy 45 books a months so yeah it gets expensive.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 06:06 AM
I would love it if that were the case cause the boards cost 9bucks for a pack and bags cost 5 dollars and I buy 45 books a months so yeah it gets expensive.

damn, where do you live...?

we charge 5 bucks for boxes 5 bucks for bags, 6 bucks for boards.

Thudpucker
05-01-2006, 06:06 AM
If there are two shops in town, and one gives discounts and another doesn't.... I'll shop at the one with discounts.

Even 15% adds up after awhile.

Blandy vs Terrorism
05-01-2006, 06:07 AM

I can understand that completely. Unfortunately in my lcs experience, it's been the opposite. The one here has no discount, but no variety, and the one I had in Hawaii had awesome variety and gave 25% off on new singles, and 10% on trades/everything else.

As for bags and all that, I couldn't really give a damn, except maybe for the back issue section, since those probably get rummaged through more.

xyzzy
05-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I can't say what a store should do on the financial side, but as a customer, if I don't get some sort of discount, I'll take my business elsewhere.

joeAR
05-01-2006, 06:11 AM
damn, where do you live...?

we charge 5 bucks for boxes 5 bucks for bags, 6 bucks for boards.

Good ol Chicago were appearently every comic shop feels the need to charge more than Boston.

ERNIE_E
05-01-2006, 06:13 AM
My LCS gives them at 5% with them, 10% without them for new books. They've been doing this for over 8 years and it hasn't hurt them at all. It's the discount that will kill a LCS more than anything. The price of gas rising will change lots of things. The price of bags and boards have gone up. Anthing with plastic has gone up in price to be honest due to the oil that's used to make things plastic. But you can see shops changing lots of their policies to change with the times. I think gone are the days of major discounts. As it should be, because a good shop that gets in the comics you demand shouldn't be slighted just for 5% discount for the next guy who might only get the mainstream titles or who only caters to their subscribers. This is just a local situation I see in my area though so I don't know about other places.

Dennis K
05-01-2006, 06:15 AM
My comics shope povides a bag and board for the comics on my pull list, and the older issues also come that way. No discount though, but that's okay, the guy's got bills to pay too.

ItsDLEVY
05-01-2006, 06:29 AM
I don't care at all about bags and boards, but the only reason I started a pull list at the store near my office is because they offer a 20% discount (on comics, not TPBs) for subscribers.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-01-2006, 06:40 AM
We offer a discount to subscribers who maintain a certain amount of titles. That's the way its always been and honestly we can never not do that. Other shops in the area do it so its now part of the comics scene. A while back, we did manage to contain it to new comics with some discount spread out to back issues and tpbs and hcs. That way there is more value to be had by the customer and more product moving for us. We don't discount action figures or statuary because the profit margin is already very thin. Not that the margin is huge on new comics, to be clear. We take subscriptions to one or two titles, with no discount, but 9 times out of 10 that customer will find more that they want and are pleasantly surprised when they find out that they have earned a discount on more items in the shop. I don't understand how brick and mortar shops that give an arbitrary 30 or 40% discoutn stay in business. The actual cost of the book isn't the end of it. There are shipping costs that most people don't account on top of the cost of goods. I've seen many high discount shops go in the area over the years.

As for arbitrary bags and boards, bottom line, bags and boards cost money. We offer value and benefits to customers in plenty of other ways to not have to give out free supplies with each issue. There is a store nearby that bags and boards all new releases. Customers get their bag and board, but they cannot browse anything on the new release shelf....because they're all bagged and boarded.

Damian696
05-01-2006, 06:40 AM
I get a discount on the books on my sub list (8% right now).
From time to time the shop owner throws in a pack of bags, or boards, or a box, or other stuff
(anybody wants a deck of Marvel Playing Cards ? :D).

Edit: I just realised: If I add two more books to my pull list, I get a better discount ...

adamgreenberger
05-01-2006, 06:45 AM
There is a store nearby that bags and boards all new releases. Customers get their bag and board, but they cannot browse anything on the new release shelf....because they're all bagged and boarded.

I can't imagine this...there are times I buy a book based on flipping thru it on the shelf...that has to hurt some business.

DrMachine
05-01-2006, 06:48 AM
If there were a store that offered free boards adn bags and more importantly a discount...I would a LOYAL customer

Simps
05-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Bags and boards are really no incentive for me. A discount is always nice, especially if you drop $30, and you can then equate it to getting 1 book for free.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
05-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I give a 10% discount on everything, but it comes down to two things, 1- how good of a customer you are, and 2- how much you buy. If someone comes in and picks up fifteen 2.99 books, cool, 2.69 a piece, and hey, while you're at it, go grab some back issues at 80 cents a pop. But if a guy comes up with two 2.50 books, that'll be 5 bucks thank you.

RøcketFrøg
05-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Eh...the shop I go to doesn't...I really don't care.

T
But you're living off the Plookenstein settlement money. Some of us work for a living...or.. you know... don't work. :D

McAfee
05-01-2006, 06:59 AM
My LCS guys gives subscribers 20% off across the board.

bstie1198
05-01-2006, 07:09 AM
My LCS gives 10% off to anyone with a pull list (I think you need 5 titles a month or something like that to set one up). No free bags/boards. I prefer my comics without boards, because they're taking up too much space in my apartment as it is, and the more I can fit into a long box, the better. I do bag my comics, though, so free bags would be prefered. I like my LCS and the people who work there, so I don't think I'd switch shops just over bags and/or boards, but if a shop that was somewhat close to me offered a significantly larger discount (say 20%), I might be tempted to switch.

JHester
05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
My LCS' policy is that if you subscribe to 10 titles on a monthly basis you get 20% off of whatever you buy. It also includes merchandise like toys shirts etc. There is sometimes larger discounts to be had if you prepay in advance. For instance I would get 30-35 % off on my Mcfarlane football figs if I paid for them at the time of order. Bags and boards are not free with books though. There is a good discount if you buy them by the case though.

Lord Jermaine Retail
05-01-2006, 07:40 AM
I can't imagine this...there are times I buy a book based on flipping thru it on the shelf...that has to hurt some business.
With the cost of comics and the uncertainty of content at times, customers have to be able to browse to see if the comic is what it wants. While comics are getting better about it, often the cover is no indication of the content or the interior art.

adamgreenberger
05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
With the cost of comics and the uncertainty of content at times, customers have to be able to browse to see if the comic is what it wants. While comics are getting better about it, often the cover is no indication of the content or the interior art.

Marvel is really good at that.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Marvel is really good at that.

its not just marvel.

Mister Mets
05-01-2006, 08:07 AM
This question/thread arose out of the 'bags and board' thread, which can be found here:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68914

In that thread some posters remarked that they purchase what they consider a large amount of books.

Some seemed to complain that despite the fact that they got X number of books, their store doesn't give them 'free' bags and boards.

some mentioned that they get X number of books, and their store doesn't give them any sort of discount.

So, I put it to you, the customers/posters here...

Why? or Why not?

As a manager (not the owner) of a comic store that doesn't give free bags/boards to subs/customers or offer any discount on subs I would be interested to hear your opinions either way.

Thanks.

I think an LCS should give free bags and boards if they're charging more than cover price for an issue.

And as a customer with a lot of alternatives, I no longer buy comics unless they're discounted. MY LCS had a 20% discount for anyone who subscribed to more than ten books, although I ended that thanks to dcbs. Any comics I forget to order from there, I buy from Midtown Comics, which offers $20 free for every $100 I spend there.

I think that's the best kind of discount, because it rewards/ encourages returning customers, and will encourage impulse buys (especially if someone's told that they can get twenty dollars worth of comics, free.) The manager's also able to make restrictions (ie- sale items don't count.)

THWIP!
05-01-2006, 08:10 AM
They shouldn't. The buyer already gets some sort of discount if they're frequent buyer. The bag and board cost fucking money.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
They shouldn't. The buyer already gets some sort of discount if they're frequent buyer.

you obviously missed the first post in this thread in which I stated that we don't give any discounts to subs or 'frequent buyers'.

Freeway
05-01-2006, 08:14 AM
I switched from my old LCS to a new one based on the discount I got as a subscriber.

No free bags & boards, but I never expected them to give 'em to me anyhow.

natalie
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
I think discounts should be given to subscribers. Free bags & boards, no way.

Raphael J
05-01-2006, 08:24 AM
I think discounts should be given to subscribers. Free bags & boards, no way.

I'd second this. Free bags and boards are cool, but completely unnecessary. I would prefer that the money spent there be used in other areas to make the store nicer, products more diverse, or even have a sale every now and again.

Nick Hale
05-01-2006, 08:30 AM
The shop I goto has a sort of Tiered discount, 10-15%. I get enough to get the full 15% and its nice. I'd be happy with a smaller discount though if I got bags and boards for free, mainly because quite a few times I was lower on bags and boards than I thought and had to leave comics out which drives me nuts. That and putting together 100 bags and boards is boring and tedious.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
see I don't bag and board my comics.

I'm weird like that.

Olivier E.
05-01-2006, 08:38 AM
My shop:
no bags/boards, I don't need them so I'm glad, but when I back order indie things they are always bagged, the same when I get a rare or semi-rare variant, everything what isn't a 50/50 variant is bagged. due to the fact that when you order, you can ask for variants and the retailer decides who gets them.
mangas/translated us-comics/bd's 20%
pre-ordered us-comics or ordered trades 20%
us-comics on the shelves 10% more expensive than original price

3% for everything you buy, is changed in bonus, which you can use to buy things in the shop, like back-issues or such things.

Mo_Soar
05-01-2006, 08:51 AM
At my LCS, the discount is in exhange for preordering comics - which is a mutual benefit. The shop has a good idea how much to order, I agree to buy what I've preordered and they give me a discount. The percentage is based on the number of title on the pull list. The discount extends to things I buy on impulse as well. Since my weekly bill runs from a low of about $25 to well over a hundred (depending on trades/HC whatever else), the discount is greatly appreciated.

They choose to bag (not board) all comics that come in - mostly, I think, to keep the shelf copies in good condition. Customers are welcome to open bags.

Would I still shop there if they offered no discount? Yeah, on the strength of the staff and the large selection - they aren't the closest comics shop by a longshot, but they are the best. Would I buy as much without the discount? Probably not.

Artie Pink
05-01-2006, 09:00 AM
- Free bags and boards seems extreme.

- Discount for package customers is a MUST. I get 15% across the board. If I didn't, I wouldn't be a customer. I'd order online - where honestly, I could save even more than 15%.

I love my store, and I love going to it each week, and I love browsing. But since I pre-order, and since I get so much stuff, I deserve a discount.

15% isn't a big discounts on trades and HCs, though. I compromise by (mostly) still giving my LCS that business, even though I could save much more by ordering from DCBS or Tales Of Wonder or Amazon. But the time is coming where that needs to be addressed.

There are things that LCS's can do that no on-line store can. Timely new releases, back issues IMMEDIATELY available. Stores need to focus on that and maybe let the trade business go if they can't deep discount.

When I go to my store and they can't be bothered to dig out Flash #215 from 1973 out of the basement for my $20, well I'll just order it online. And once those dominoes start toppling, it becomes easier for me to just order everything online.

When I go to my store and the newest JLA/JSA trade is the same price as it is at Borders where they don't know me at all, well I'll just order it at Amazon and save $8 bucks.

When I go to my store and they didn't bother to send package customers an e-mail to let them order the emergency solicited Marvel Zombies #5 variant... well, again - I can get one from Lone Star.

Stores need to focus on the new issues, and the back issues, and get the Publishers to get them a deal on pre-ordered trades and HCs.

I know they go to the Retailer Summits, because there's that Infinite Crisis Retailer Summit Variant for #1 behind the counter for $200. They need to speak up at that summit, man.

GelfXIII
05-01-2006, 09:10 AM
My LCS gives a nice discount (20%) to subscribers above a certain level per month, but does not bag or board. The discount is more important to me than the bags to me.

Would I like it if they did? Sure. It would save me money and time, but it's not really neccesary.

Andrew j
05-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't bag or board any of my comics so it's more a hassle for me.

I do like getting the 10% off everything for being on their pull list.

30% off all trades at my work.

xanderharris
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM

I'm weird like that.

i thought i was the only one!

t00lverine
05-01-2006, 09:19 AM
It really depends on the store. At my old shop, 20% off and bags and boards for free were the norm. However, a shop such as the Isotope provides a different experience than my old shop in that the atmosphere and creator-driven events fuel a consumer's drive to spend. You're still getting a bang for your buck either way.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 09:21 AM
When I go to my store and they can't be bothered to dig out Flash #215 from 1973 out of the basement for my $20, well I'll just order it online. And once those dominoes start toppling, it becomes easier for me to just order everything online.

When I go to my store and they didn't bother to send package customers an e-mail to let them order the emergency solicited Marvel Zombies #5 variant... well, again - I can get one from Lone Star.

I know they go to the Retailer Summits, because there's that Infinite Crisis Retailer Summit Variant for #1 behind the counter for $200. They need to speak up at that summit, man.

to address some of your points:

1. Our store doesn't carry old issues. We focus solely on stuff that is out in the past few years. Any back issues at about 3-5 years old get put in the 25 cent bin.

2. We send out a weekly newsletter to our customer base (those that want it, anyway) and you can sign up at our website.

I handle the weekly newsletter. Here is an example of what our customers recieve each week: http://www.shwicaz.com

3. Have you ever been to an RRP meeting?
You say the we 'need to speak up'. Well, got a news flash for you, Jim. WE DO. If DC (who hosted the RRP meeting) listens to retailers, but doesn't do anything after listening to retailer complaints, what else can we do?

At the last DC RRP meeting, we complained about late shipping books at DC lately. They said that they were reshuffling their creative staff to ensure that we don't get any late-shipping books. That was in November of last year. Anyone noticed how many late shipping books DC has had since then?

They also didn't mention the 2.99 price increase.

So, yeah, just because some retailers (and it is a select few, it isn't 'all' retailers) go to an RRP meeting, it doesn't mean shit will get done.

Sort of like just because you ask the president at a town meeting why something is done the way it is, it doesn't mean he will change it just because you brought it up.

adamgreenberger
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM

I'm weird like that.

I bag my books...but that is all...the only boarded comics I have are ones that I bought like that.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 09:29 AM
whoops, put the wrong link to our newsletter in my previous post.

it has been corrected.

DeluxeVoltron
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
the way i see it giving discounts is an easy way to show appreciation. and a harmful one. living here id estimate the LCS life expectancy to be about 5 years. its a tough business and giving discounts to the people that are buying the most of your product just isnt wise.

so we dont give discounts. we charge for every bag and board. want just the bag? thatll be 8 cents. plus tax.

its a little harder but without discounts you can still show appreciation to your regulars. learn their names. learn their tastes. suggest stuff for them set stuff aside for them.

every few months we do a weekend back issue sale of all our overstock thats been cut from the floor's back issues to save space (6 storesworth of overstock adds up). this time around we've been giving out golden tickets to our biggest most dependable buyers, allowing them in the night before the sale.

before i worked at my LCS i chose it over the others in the area despite discounts at the other shops (which are almost all out of business now) because the service and enthusiasm of the employees really made my visit a shit ton more enjoyable.

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Bags and Boards? Not Necessarily, but it's not a terrible idea to bag the comics.

Discount? Absolutely. Not necessarily for the reasons you think though. Comic shops are stuck with just about everything they order and discounts seem like a means to get rid of stock that clutters up the store. By giving the discount, you give the customer a reason to buy more shit.

wh park
05-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Our store gives a 20% discount on comics (the discount is a bit lower on trades) to our members but we don't charge a fee for it (though you do have to have a minimum number of titles each month for it to be worth our while). We also pull comics and give some of our customers (those who buy a lot from us) a free copy of Previews.

As for bags and boards, most of our regulars don't ask for them, if they want them they'll just buy them in bulk from us. However I'll have customers (both off the street and regulars who get the discount) come in and ask for a bag and board when they buy comics. We usually accomodate them without charging. In all honesty it doesn't occur enough for it to affect our budget all that much.

I know a lot of stores in Toronto who do the free bag and board automatically for all customers or they'll give a discount to their members. Some of them charge for a membership and others just do it as part of their service.

My own opinion is that if I'm a customer and I spend a lot of money at a store I would hope that would be recognized and I would get something extra beyond the comics themselves. If I didn't I wouldn't necessarily get worked up about it but if I came across another store that did offer discounts, free supplies, etc. then it's more likely I might switch stores.

Balthazar
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
It depends on what your competition is doing. I don't thinnk any LCS is obligated to do so, but, if store y is doing it, it's just another reason for me to go there instead of to your shop. If you have no competition, that what's the point?

deadboy
05-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking about what everyone has been saying and I've come up with something.

Bags and boards are nice, but not important. I think a tiered discount structure would probably develop more or a customer base. Say I get 15 books a month and get a 10% discount. The LCS offers a deal where by getting 5 more books a month I can get an additional 5% discount. I, personally, would scrounge around and find 5 more books. I pay less and the LCS sells more books.

Under the same circumstances, I wouldn't be as likely to buy 5 more books a month to just to get free bags and boards.

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 09:50 AM

I'm weird like that.

I generally end up putting multiple books into one bag.

Lab-Rat
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't think Bag and Boards should be free with the comics. I think it's pretty cool that some shops do that...but I don't see the need for it. Not all people want bags and boards, plus that cover price on the comic is for the comic...not the comic plus some extra stuff.

As for discounts...I'm a little indifferent on this. See, before I moved to Austin, I was use to seeing comic shops give discounts to people who had subscriptions. I thought this was pretty cool.

Then, on a visit to Austin...I went to Austin books. The shop was amazing. So amazing I would regularly make a trip to Austin (a drive that was anywhere from 2 hrs and 30 minutes and up denpending on traffic and the speed you drove) just to go to the comic shop. When I finnaly made the move to Austin (a large part being I got a new job...and another large being That comic shop), I found out Austin books didn't have a pull service...and thus didn't offer any type of Subscriber discount...cause there was nothing to subscribe to. However...they do always offer a discount on Trades (I forget the exact discount number at the moment). Plus they do have their semi-monthly events and annual discount sales...so that's always a plus. plus you always get great service, and all the employees are nice and awesome. Austin books is so amazing that I would not switch to another comic shop no matter what the subscriber discount was.

Now I'm of the opinion, that if the service you get at the comic shop is worth it...you don't need the discount, or free bags and boards.

Your Pal, Carl
05-01-2006, 09:54 AM
It really depends on the store. At my old shop, 20% off and bags and boards for free were the norm. However, a shop such as the Isotope provides a different experience than my old shop in that the atmosphere and creator-driven events fuel a consumer's drive to spend. You're still getting a bang for your buck either way.
And Isotope give a 5% discount and free bags.

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
1. Our store doesn't carry old issues. We focus solely on stuff that is out in the past few years. Any back issues at about 3-5 years old get put in the 25 cent bin.

Couldn't you possibly avoid putting some books in the quarter bin by giving a 10-20% discount off the bat?

Artie Pink
05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
to address some of your points:

2. We send out a weekly newsletter to our customer base (those that want it, anyway) and you can sign up at our website.

I handle the weekly newsletter. Here is an example of what our customers recieve each week: http://www.shwicaz.com

3. Have you ever been to an RRP meeting?
You say the we 'need to speak up'. Well, got a news flash for you, Jim. WE DO. If DC (who hosted the RRP meeting) listens to retailers, but doesn't do anything after listening to retailer complaints, what else can we do?

At the last DC RRP meeting, we complained about late shipping books at DC lately. They said that they were reshuffling their creative staff to ensure that we don't get any late-shipping books. That was in November of last year. Anyone noticed how many late shipping books DC has had since then?

They also didn't mention the 2.99 price increase.

So, yeah, just because some retailers (and it is a select few, it isn't 'all' retailers) go to an RRP meeting, it doesn't mean shit will get done.

Sort of like just because you ask the president at a town meeting why something is done the way it is, it doesn't mean he will change it just because you brought it up.

I wasn't criticizing your store Ron, I assume you got it all dialed in! I was more or less bitching about my store.

My store's owner can't deep discount trades or HCs, so it frustrates me when he can't put down his sandwich and get me my back issue from the basement vault. I was just illustrating that as a "focus on what you can do well" kinda parable.

There's plenty my store DOES do well - my Previews order is filled 100%, no matter how weird a thing I order. They send out an e-mail for EVERY emergency solicit from DC, Marvel, etc. The manager at my branch bends over backwards to get me issues from the main store (with a week delay, though).

As for the other stuff, well I'm glad there's Brian Hibbs out there bitching for all the LCS's and the cash-strapped fans. I'd like to see more retailers join him. For example, I've never seen a consortium of LCS guys stand up and say "we need a competitive discount for our pre-orders to match DCBS or Tales Of Wonder".

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:08 AM
As for the other stuff, well I'm glad there's Brian Hibbs out there bitching for all the LCS's and the cash-strapped fans. I'd like to see more retailers join him. For example, I've never seen a consortium of LCS guys stand up and say "we need a competitive discount for our pre-orders to match DCBS or Tales Of Wonder".

They do. They just don't do it on a public internet message board where anyone can jump in and flame them/derail the thread/ etc.

There is an orginization within the comics community called ComicsPro, and the CBIA message board (the retailer only section) has lots of discussions like these.

You just aren't privvy to them because it is business type dealings and posts that reveal critical info on dollar amounts of books ordered, sales info, etc.

So, it is there, you just don't know about it. ;)

and sorry I got my head full of steam.

:Oops:

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Couldn't you possibly avoid putting some books in the quarter bin by giving a 10-20% discount off the bat?

possibly, but again, I am not the owner of the store. These things are not up to me.

I can suggest stuff, but I can't make policy without the owner's approval. At the end of the day, I can only run the store the way the owner wants it.

That is my job, to manage the store the way the owner wants it managed.

I am much more 'vocal' and 'out there' than he is, but at the end of the day, its all his decision.

Mo_Soar
05-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Part of the point of a pull list is to get the smaller press titles I want. I tend not to put the "big 2" titles (which make up less than half my comics purchases) that I KNOW will be on the shelf that week on a pull list. But when I want Strange Girl or Fear Agent or Robotika or Mouse Guard or Hip Flask or Living in Infamy or Surrogates - all that stuff is on a pull list. My LCS will get them in regardless, but probably not very many copies, and I believe in supporting the small press titles I buy by preordering.

There are a lot of comics stores in Portland that only carry Marvel, DC and a very limited selection of other titles. I could start a pull list there, and get a good discount, but then I'd only be buying the indies I preordered, as there are a number of titles I need to flip through first before I decide if I want them, and I can do that at Excalibur.

So I shop on staff, selection/availability and discount, in that order.

EDIT: well, in rethinking that statement - another big deal for me is the fact that the shop is clean, well-lit and very welcoming.

Artie Pink
05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
They do. They just don't do it on a public internet message board where anyone can jump in and flame them/derail the thread/ etc.

There is an orginization within the comics community called ComicsPro, and the CBIA message board (the retailer only section) has lots of discussions like these.

You just aren't privvy to them because it is business type dealings and posts that reveal critical info on dollar amounts of books ordered, sales info, etc.

So, it is there, you just don't know about it. ;)

and sorry I got my head full of steam.

:Oops:

Sol Goode, I am talking from an ousider's view. I readily admit I don't really know what I am talking about! I just feel that these problems should be addressed so shops can do the best they can.

Anyway, great goddamn newsletter, dude.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Anyway, great goddamn newsletter, dude.

Thanks!

Would you believe about 2 weeks ago, when I started it, I had no clue how to hyperlink the photos and such?

I was completely out of my element!

But because I felt strongly about how it should be done, I learned.

And I even use my own website to host it, since my boss can't.

but thanks for the praise. It really does mean a lot.

Artie Pink
05-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks!

Would you believe about 2 weeks ago, when I started it, I had no clue how to hyperlink the photos and such?

I was completely out of my element!

But because I felt strongly about how it should be done, I learned.

And I even use my own website to host it, since my boss can't.

but thanks for the praise. It really does mean a lot.

You remind me a lot of the manager of MY LCS. Loves comics, does everything he can for his customers. I wish the dude I bought my CAR from cared so damn much!!

Captain Sensation
05-01-2006, 10:18 AM
i have an LCS in fayetteville that does this, but they arent "free" they charge 5 extra cents for them. Plus the boards and bags come on the comics already. They do this to keep buyers from previewing the books. In which case, if the book is crap, the buyer will never know because they arent allowed to open the bags. So in a sense, they make up for selling the bags and boarders at a low cost by selling more books.

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 10:19 AM
possibly, but again, I am not the owner of the store. These things are not up to me.

I can suggest stuff, but I can't make policy without the owner's approval. At the end of the day, I can only run the store the way the owner wants it.

That is my job, to manage the store the way the owner wants it managed.

I am much more 'vocal' and 'out there' than he is, but at the end of the day, its all his decision.

I understand ya. I find the fact that Diamond doesn't do returns particulary shitty. Would any other industry accept that?

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I understand ya. I find the fact that Diamond doesn't do returns particulary shitty. Would any other industry accept that?

The worst part is when you try to order something from Diamond, and they say 'its on backorder'.

They then wait and ship you the damaged returns from the bookstores and expect you to sell them.

Pisses me right off.!

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
i have an LCS in fayetteville that does this, but they arent "free" they charge 5 extra cents for them. Plus the boards and bags come on the comics already. They do this to keep buyers from previewing the books. In which case, if the book is crap, they buyer will never know because they arent allowed to open the bags. So in a sense, they make up for selling the bags and boarders at a low cost by selling more books.

The buyers aren't allowed to open bags and sample books? I'd think that would hurt sales...

Christopher Brian
05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
My LCS bags everything, no boards. 10% discount on 10-50 books pulled a month, 15% discount if you have over 50 pulls a month. Once you've consistently had a certain # of pulls for a long time the discount stretches to case books and trades. I've copped 35 books a month or more for 11 years so I get a 10% disount on ANYTHING I buy. Titan Games & Comics, Atlanta, GA!!!

The store is not pretty, but the discount and what seems like an appreciation for me buying lots of books for years and years means something to me. And more time than not the the money I save just gets spent at the shop later.

gaspar
05-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I've always had some sort of discount with my sub at the various shops I've frequented throughout my life. I don't think I'd be ok at this point with going somewhere where I had a subscription list but got no discount (or free bag and board or buy x get x free or something). I'm used to that being a perk of guaranteeing my LCS that yes, I will buy these titles every month, no questions asked. Do I think a LCS "has" to do it, of course not. But I've always lived in places with enough alternative shops to select from that if one didn't, I could just go to another. If I ever move to a place with no shops with perks, I'll likely finally make the switch to online subscriptions. I don't want to do that because I like going in and seeing all of the new stuff, even if I don't want to buy most of it. I like keeping up with what's out there each week and getting my comics weekly. But I'd scrap that to keep paying less for the titles I want. I'd probably still go to a shop weekly to see what's available and maybe buy an issue now and then, but 90%+ of my comic buying would go online.

Fizz
05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
My LCS gives bags for free but not boards. That seems pretty fair to me.

However there isn't any discount. I've had a pull list there for maybe 6 years and in that time the number of titles I've gotten has ranged from 10-25. I've been a loyal customer who has given them quite a lot of money and I would think that would be deserving of some kind of discount. If there were another comic shop that offered a discount and had a pretty good selection, I would very much consider switching over to it. At the moment though, the comic shop I go to is pretty much the only comic shop in the area.

Not having a discount isn't a huge deal for me, but it is slightly annoying. It just seems a little odd to not offer any perks to a long time loyal customer.

andrew french
05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
some shops do, but i could really care less about bags and boards. it's a nice gesture, but wasted on me, and i assume, many others.

my old shop gave 10% discounts for all subscribers, so that is great. it's not necessary, but definitely a nice incentive.

SethInAz
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Ron, as a guy who last year was in this exact dillema (from a consumer's POV) let me throw my two cents in.

Your store was right down the street from my school, and i could have walked there every Wednesday. I liked the atmosphere and the conversation I had with you when I came by, but my budget was straight-up tight dawg. Nothing personal in my decision, purely financial. I had a weekly pull list at Newbury comics which gave me 20% off. After about 4 months I decided it wasn't worth the drive because they were messing up my order. A couple times i hit up NEC and was able to pick up most of my backlog at one of their 50% off sales. About that time a new store had opened up right down the street from where I lived in Watertown. Young guy owned it, but it went out of business after about 6 months because the owner sold the place and the rent got jacked up. I told him, "Give me a 10% and I'll switch my 20 or so titles to you right now." He said yes, and I was one of his best customers.

I got 10% at the Comic Interlude for having a file, but the owner Kevin said he basically gives everyone 10% off of everything in the store anyway. But he advertises a student discount of 10% off with your Id as a means to promote his business in the local school newspaper. To be honest, when I moved to Boston that was all i was looking for, and no one seemed to offer it.

But I remember when Kirkman came by your store, and I dropped $50 or so on full priced TPB's of Walking Dead and Invincible. Having creators at the store is a great incentive to offer and doesn't necessarily mean profit loss.

Balthazar
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
On a personal note, I quit going to my LCS, not because they didn't bag & board, but because I didn't recieve any discount. I decided to order them online. I got a better price. Neither of the two shops that I have been going to for 20 years offers a discount or B&B, and one of them doesn't even offer a pull list. The B&B were'nt a big deal, but all things considered it was another thing that made it easier to leave them. An LCS has no obligation to offer these things, but I have no obligation to shop there.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
About that time a new store had opened up right down the street from where I lived in Watertown. Young guy owned it, but it went out of business after about 6 months because the owner sold the place and the rent got jacked up. I told him, "Give me a 10% and I'll switch my 20 or so titles to you right now." He said yes, and I was one of his best customers.

I totally understand your view as a consumer.

But I am not sure why you offered up as an example a store that chose to give you a discount on your books, and was closed up 6 months after it opened.

Not exactly the best example for your argument, is it?

;)

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
But I remember when Kirkman came by your store, and I dropped $50 or so on full priced TPB's of Walking Dead and Invincible. Having creators at the store is a great incentive to offer and doesn't necessarily mean profit loss.

True, and we are tyring to do a bit more of that.

I am going to show my boss this thread (and the one I made at newsarama) so he can see what people are saying/how they feel.

Who knows, some good might come of it down the line.

I thank you all for your opinions/thoughts/views.

Schroedingers Cat
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
The shop I used to go to gave a 20% discount and bags on all books. They are out of business now.

The shop I go to currently, does not give bags, boards or discounts. Our big perk is a free copy of previews.

I dont really care about the bags and boards but I would like to have some kind of discount. I pre-order everything and spend about $100 a month. Even a 5% discount would be nice.

The one place it make a difference is on Trade Paperbacks. When I had a 20% discount on Trades, I bought most of them from the LCS. Now I hardly buy any Trades from the LCS because I can get them cheaper so many other places.

Jim

THWIP!
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
you obviously missed the first post in this thread in which I stated that we don't give any discounts to subs or 'frequent buyers'.
Ah. I still don't think they should. You're actually the only comic store I've heard of that doesn't give discounts to guys who have pull lists and order through previews. But I don't think they should because not all people bag and board comics like you said. Me I don't bag them and board them either, I do for first issues of stuff that's signed but that's it and I'll buy the stuff I need, I don't expect the guy to give them to me for free.

SethInAz
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I totally understand your view as a consumer.

But I am not sure why you offered up as an example a store that chose to give you a discount on your books, and was closed up 6 months after it opened.

Not exactly the best example for your argument, is it?

;)

Perhaps not, but he made it pretty clear that the reason he was closing was because of the massive rent hike, not because of any discount he was giving to people. He had a real sweet deal on his space. His store just didn't have time to settle in. He was the only guy in the area offering 10% off file subscriptions. Imagine the dillema your store might be in if the rent all of a sudden just doubled on you due to new ownership. At the price i was paying for rent just to live, I don't see how ANYONE in that area can open a new business.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Perhaps not, but he made it pretty clear that the reason he was closing was because of the massive rent hike, not because of any discount he was giving to people. He had a real sweet deal on his space. His store just didn't have time to settle in. He was the only guy in the area offering 10% off file subscriptions. Imagine the dillema your store might be in if the rent all of a sudden just doubled on you due to new ownership. At the price i was paying for rent just to live, I don't see how ANYONE in that area can open a new business.

Ah!

I forgot about that! That was the place that closed when the rent went up. D'OH! (sorry, I did remember you talking about that when it happened)

As far as the rent going up and new ownership. NOT going to happen.

How do I know?

Because, Matt, the owner of the shop, owns the space the store is in. He bought it outright years ago.

Generic Poster
05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
My shop bags and boards all the comics. Personally, I don't like it. I don't want all my comics bagged. Even if I did like it, I don't think it would be a deciding factor.

Discounts, on the other hand, would be.

SethInAz
05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Ah!

I forgot about that! That was the place that closed when the rent went up. D'OH! (sorry, I did remember you talking about that when it happened)

As far as the rent going up and new ownership. NOT going to happen.

How do I know?

Because, Matt, the owner of the shop, owns the space the store is in. He bought it outright years ago.

I'm convinced you gotta have an inside track like that to be successful. Not having the overhead of over-inflated rent is a great way to cut down on a monthly budget. Of course you have to have money to make money, so there are other expenses like taxes and utilities, etc.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
When I shop at a place that bags and boards, I stand at the counter and remove the comics from them and give them to the clerk.
That shit's a waste of time, resources and space.

Thudpucker
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
When I shop at a place that bags and boards, I stand at the counter and remove the comics from them and give them to the clerk.
That shit's a waste of time, resources and space.

So are singles ;)

Boris the Blade
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
One of the edges that my store gave me over other stores was the bags and boards. If I walk in and I know that my book's going to not be dinged or ripped like shit thanks to tens of readers flipping through it and not giving a damn, well, seems like a plus to me.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
So are singles ;)
I agree. I have seen the light on that.

anThONY_s
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
If you give a discount on things people are going to buy every month for the rest of their comic reading days (for some it's Super-titles, for others it's X-Titles) you're not going to make much money off your customers. BUT if you super discount, say, #1 titles of hot summer blockbuster events like Civil War, you're going to get more people than normal picking up that book and hopefully more people than normal coming back for the other issues and the tie-ins and etc etc etc.

Why comic shops don't discount the big events the first week the way every fricking store will carry the new Tool album on sale this week I'll never understand.

Captain Sensation
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM
The buyers aren't allowed to open bags and sample books? I'd think that would hurt sales...

yeah, you think that, but if you saw a cover that looked sensational, you might be willing to take a chance on the book. Especially in this day in age where you have a cover artist who isnt necessarily the main artist. Also, many issues have covers that dont reflect what goes on in the story.

Shwicaz
05-01-2006, 12:25 PM
etc etc.

Why comic shops don't discount the big events the first week the way every fricking store will carry the new Tool album on sale this week I'll never understand.

because we don't carry CD's.....?

(akaRyanHoffman)
05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Retailers, I'm curious on how many of you write off excess shit to donations and whatnot...

RickM
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
My retailer gives me 15 percent off my entire purchase of new comics -- not just the titles on my pull list but anything else (new) I pick up.

And he puts every comic in a bag (no board).

The other two comic shops in town don't give me either one of those services, so they get less of my business.

RickM
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Just curious: what's the mark-up on new comics?

RøcketFrøg
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
because we don't carry CD's.....?
I think he was using CD's as an example. The bookstores do it with the new bestsellers, Best Buy with new DVD's, etc. I think that's the question he was asking.

TheKraken
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I've been a regular customer at 4 comic shops in my life. 3 of them offered discounts to customers with a certain number of books on their pull (different discounts, none above 15% off), and 2 offered free bags & boards, as well. It's a cool practice, but I don't think it's to be expected, like your right as a big spender or something.

RickM
05-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I can't believe people don't care about getting the comics bagged. You wouldn't want your pristine copy of Astonishing XMen #1 in a bag?

I went to a comic shop on Yonge Street in Toronto and they bagged and BOARDED the comics, so did a shop in Lansing near Michigan State. That's even cooler, it will help when I unload these things on Ebay someday.

RebootedCorpse
05-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Just curious: what's the mark-up on new comics?
it can range from 45% for a small store to 65% for the bigger ones...at least that what it was in those crazy 90s when I owned a store.

Alex K.
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Bags and boards for all subscribers (unless they request otherwise), and discount or some other bonus for subscribers who get X number of ongoing monthly titles (like ten).

I think in a business that sort of lives or dies mainly on customer loyalty, a little incentive to attract and maintain regular customers who'll be making good sized purchases goes a long way.