View Full Version : Recently Bought CDs

Blake Sims
04-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Some reviews of cds I've bought over the past couple of months:

Louis XIV "Best Secrets Are Kept"- pretty good overall

The Kaiser Chiefs "the Kaiser Chiefs"- didnt like it very much

Outkast "Speakerboxxx/Love Below"- both are damn good

The Mars Volta "Francis the Mute"- Fucking awesome album love it

The Mars Volta "The Mars Volta De-loused In The Comatorium"- good too not as good as "francis" though

...And You'll Know Us By the Trail of Dead "Worlds Apart"- liked it okay but didnt love it

Hot Hot Heat "Elevator"- alright album not great

Gorillaz "Gorillaz"- finally bought it loved it

Nine Inch Nails "The Downward Spiral"- damn good cd

The Decemberists "Picaresque"- liked it havent made it all of the way through it yet

Prodigy "The Fat Of The Land"- still havent listened to all of it but liked what I've heard so far

Beck "Guero"- fucking loved it maybe my favorite album from Beck

gwyllgi
04-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Very cool. My newest additions are:

NIN- The Downward Spiral (third copy I've bought) Fucking love it, always will
KMFDM- WWIII live - great cd, not as good as a studio album, but still listenable and very enjoyable
otep- sevas tra - i'm incredibly impressed that it was that good. i love a good screaming angry album.

and that'd be it, for me.

TheKraken
04-16-2005, 06:00 PM
The Mars Volta "Francis the Mute"- Fucking awesome album love it

The Mars Volta "The Mars Volta De-loused In The Comatorium"- good too not as good as "francis" though

Went the other way 'round with these, myself. I liked their first album alot, couldn't get it out of my CD player back in the day. The new one is so loaded with pretentious, 5 minute passages of noise and weirdo sound effects that I don't enjoy listening to it. The music is very good, but man, all the bullshit surrounding it is just too much. That one song that literally has 5:30 of stupid sound effects before the music kicks in? Makes me wanna go find them and kick them all in the jimmy.

Blake Sims
04-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Went the other way 'round with these, myself. I liked their first album alot, couldn't get it out of my CD player back in the day. The new one is so loaded with pretentious, 5 minute passages of noise and weirdo sound effects that I don't enjoy listening to it. The music is very good, but man, all the bullshit surrounding it is just too much. That one song that literally has 5:30 of stupid sound effects before the music kicks in? Makes me wanna go find them and kick them all in the jimmy.
sometimes i skip through the sound parts but sometimes i like to sit down and listen to it and relax

Matt Higgins
04-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been buying a lot of random classical cd's lately

TheKraken
04-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Oh, yeah, mine...

Garbage - Bleed Like Me. Not as bad as their 3rd album, but that's not saying much. Last chance for this band.

Mclusky - The Difference Between You And Me Is I'm Not On Fire. GodDAMN are these guys pissed. Their previous album was a hilariously sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek, ranting thing with songs like "Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues" and "The World Loves Us And Is Our Bitch." This one sees the humor all-but removed from their work, replaced by a sort of seething hatred that is just overwhelming. It's a damn good album if you like angry music. It's not really a heavy album or a punk album, it's just really, really pissed. There's only one happy-sounding song on the album, called "She Will Only Bring You Happiness," and it features twisted, sarcastic lyrics and the line "Our old singer is a sex criminal" repeated over and over. :lol:

Mastodon - Leviatan. Excellent heavy metal album. Weirdo concept record about Moby Dick. Best track 1 I've heard in a long time.

Beck - Guero. I much prefer Beck when he's being silly, but this one's not bad.

You know, it's prob'ly not a good sign that I've bought alot of CDs lately and can't remember any more than those off the top of my head...

Blake Sims
04-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Mastodon - Leviatan. Excellent heavy metal album. Weirdo concept record about Moby Dick. Best track 1 I've heard in a long time.

i read about this
might check it out

gwyllgi
04-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Awh... I loved Garbage's third album.

But then again, I've really liked all their stuff I've heard...

And I don't think I've heard The Mars Volta.
Wtf do they sound like?

Blake Sims
04-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Wtf do they sound like?
i once heard them described as a heavier Pink Floyd but i dont know if i agree with that or not...

TheKraken
04-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Awh... I loved Garbage's third album.

But then again, I've really liked all their stuff I've heard...

Wtf do they sound like?

The two weirder guys in At the Drive-In are now in The Mars Volta. They're the ones who broke up ATDI because they didn't want to get famous. The Mars Volta sounds like At the Drive-In if they expanded their sound to include world music influences and operatic scope. Their debut EP is not really worth buying. It only had 3 songs and one of them was on their first full-length. Their first full-length, "De-Loused In the Comatorium," is a rollercoaster ride of emotion set to constantly-changing and exciting, techinical music. Their newest effort, "Frances the Mute," builds on the work of its predessor, but adds a truly frustrating amount of pretentious white noise, sound effects, and other "ambiance" that just makes the wait between songs really obnoxious. But, that notwithstanding, they're pretty good. I'd recommend the first album.

gwyllgi
04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
The two weirder guys in At the Drive-In are now in The Mars Volta. They're the ones who broke up ATDI because they didn't want to get famous. The Mars Volta sounds like At the Drive-In if they expanded their sound to include world music influences and operatic scope. Their debut EP is not really worth buying. It only had 3 songs and one of them was on their first full-length. Their first full-length, "De-Loused In the Comatorium," is a rollercoaster ride of emotion set to constantly-changing and exciting, techinical music. Their newest effort, "Frances the Mute," builds on the work of its predessor, but adds a truly frustrating amount of pretentious white noise, sound effects, and other "ambiance" that just makes the wait between songs really obnoxious. But, that notwithstanding, they're pretty good. I'd recommend the first album.

Hm. I liked At the Drive In OK... wait, wait, wait, they broke up the band, cos they didn't want to get popular, and... they're... popular... now...

Oh, Kraken, my head hurts. :miffed:

Blake Sims
04-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Hm. I liked At the Drive In OK... wait, wait, wait, they broke up the band, cos they didn't want to get popular, and... they're... popular... now...

yeah that doesnt make much sense...

TheKraken
04-16-2005, 06:24 PM

well, the thing is, ATDI was about to become a "SUPERSTAR" group, and those guys didn't want that. The other 3 members went on to form Sparta, who sound like a somewhat more marketable version of ATDI, while Omar & Cerdic went on to form a weird, complex, pretentious band. I wouldn't call either one popular yet.

Did you know ATDI breaking up also more or less directly resulted in the bankrupcy and closing of Grand Royal Records? They paid alot of money to win the bidding war for ATDI's major-label debut, and then the band broke up. Bad news...

gwyllgi
04-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I totaly believe it.

... these guys don't sound like "My Chemical Romance" or anything do they? I heard two of their songs and wasn't buyin' the faux goth singer's stuff...

God, I feel fucking old, already bitching about 'those kids' music.

What the fuck ever happened to Nine Inch Nails and Type O Negative...

Justin.Strange
04-16-2005, 06:25 PM

word. i said it once and i'll say it again, "Frances the Mute" is a solid album album but hidden with annoying overdrawn bullshit. i like tracks like "L'Via L'Viaquez" and the first part of "Miranda That Ghost..." once they get going, but the CD is drowned with like 17 minute intermissions of weirdness...

Mindless Self Indulgence "You'll Rebel to Anything" - havent really sat down and listened to it fully yet but it seems more pop and mainstream sounding than the previos records. it still sounds allright though. so far i really dig the ol skool '80s Devo throwback "Shut Me Up" and "What Do They Know"..

gwyllgi
04-16-2005, 06:26 PM
well, the thing is, ATDI was about to become a "SUPERSTAR" group, and those guys didn't want that. The other 3 members went on to form Sparta, who sound like a somewhat more marketable version of ATDI, while Omar & Cerdic went on to form a weird, complex, pretentious band. I wouldn't call either one popular yet.

Did you know ATDI breaking up also more or less directly resulted in the bankrupcy and closing of Grand Royal Records? They paid alot of money to win the bidding war for ATDI's major-label debut, and then the band broke up. Bad news...

I'd heard something like that from a friend of mine.
Pretty shitty. I liked what I heard from ATDI.

I'm not always into 'pretentious' bands. . I hate it when it seems like the artist is just trying to confuse and belittle their audience.

TheKraken
04-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I'd heard something like that from a friend of mine.
Pretty shitty. I liked what I heard from ATDI.

I'm not always into 'pretentious' bands. . I hate it when it seems like the artist is just trying to confuse and belittle their audience.

Same here. I think Mars Volta's strengths outweigh their pretentiousness, tho', especially on "De-Loused."

Luke
04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
I have recently bought:

Fantomas- Suspended Animation
Fozzy- All That Remains
Cat Empire- Two Shoes
Strapping Young Lad- Alien

All very different to each other but cool in their own ways.

Jim.
04-17-2005, 10:23 PM
When I owned my record label I had just come from working at Capitol who distroed Grand Royal and they asked me if I wanted to buy Grand Royal. I couldn't afford it.

emeraldsundae
04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
check this out for variety:

The Moody Blues - Gold (2 cds)
Garbage - Bleed Like Me
Lifehouse - self-titled 3rd album

anthony the ghost
04-17-2005, 10:33 PM
recently bought for me:

joan of arc-joan of arc, dick dheany, mark twain.

joan of arc has been among my top three favorite bands for about 5 years. i love them. i really really do. and this album is great. like all joan of arc albums, this one has a few skip tracks, but the good ones are fucking incredible. the first song made me explode.

Jim.
04-17-2005, 10:35 PM
recently bought for me:

joan of arc-joan of arc, dick dheany, mark twain.

joan of arc has been among my top three favorite bands for about 5 years. i love them. i really really do. and this album is great. like all joan of arc albums, this one has a few skip tracks, but the good ones are fucking incredible. the first song made me explode.
I <3 Joan Of Arc

anthony the ghost
04-17-2005, 10:36 PM
I <3 Joan Of Arc

even despite that fact they are really good.

Jim.
04-17-2005, 10:38 PM
even despite that fact they are really good.
Thats a heart dude.

A heart.

anthony the ghost
04-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Thats a heart dude.

A heart.

im well aware.

The Roman Candle
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Mull Historical Society - This is Hope

One of the best acoustic rock albums I've ever heard. Great hooks, great songs, occasionally weird fucking lyrics. Love it.

Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

Very different kind of acoustic music, very heavily folk-influenced solo guitar work. Also an excellent -- and somewhat poetic -- album.

Djunkie
04-17-2005, 10:48 PM
I just recently bought

Jon Spencer and the blues explosion - Orange

Never heard of this band before and once I put it in it never came out.

But I did need a few intermissions

I finally got myself an official copy of

The Dirtbombs: Ultraglide In Black

This band rocks! They got a 40 year old guy with a kick ass blues voice backed up by two bassists and TWO FUCKIN DRUMMERS!! SPEED SLOWS THEM DOWN!! Man they're good. ++++++++++ he plays the harmonica like a madman! Ah, I can't stress it enough, check em out!

Bloc Party - silent alarm

Smeh... all i can say, fun but not for long

Tom Waits - Real gone

KICK ASS!! Not his best but fucking good (if you don't know tom waits shame on you... but just an idea, this guy does it all. He is the most diverse artist out ther)

Vincent Vallieres-

French artist from quebec. Nice, real nice !WARNING HE SPEAKS FRENCH THROUGH OUT!

King of Mars
04-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

Very different kind of acoustic music, very heavily folk-influenced solo guitar work. Also an excellent -- and somewhat poetic -- album.

I bought that album recently, too. Great fucking rekkid. I'm not really all that into hippie/folk shit but that album is just undeniably good.

The Roman Candle
04-17-2005, 11:06 PM
I bought that album recently, too. Great fucking rekkid. I'm not really all that into hippie/folk shit but that album is just undeniably good.

Word.

Aaron
04-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Frances the Mute by the Mars Volta
Guero - Beck
Dummy - Portishead
Y U So Shady? - Grady