PDA

View Full Version : No Runaways/X-Men for me...

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 12:37 PM
The owner of my LCS just informed me that, due to it costing far too much, he won't be participating in FCBD. So now I don't get Runaways/X-Men. Fucking lame. I don't blame him, though. It's really awful that these guys are expected to shell out the cash for an event like this. It's supposed to be FREE. Making little shop owners pay for them is BS.

And now I don't get Runaways/X-Men which was really sounding like an awesome little package...:sad:

Ben
04-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Shop owners also have to pay to advertise! WTF! And their lease usually costs something, unless they own teh building. But even if they own the building, it means they had to pay for it once! That sucks! And all that food they need to stay alive? Costs money. I know! It's bullshit!

Luckily, the air they breath is free.... for now....

Vonn Hennigar
04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
The owner of my LCS just informed me that, due to it costing far too much, he won't be participating in FCBD. So now I don't get Runaways/X-Men. Fucking lame. I don't blame him, though. It's really awful that these guys are expected to shell out the cash for an event like this. It's supposed to be FREE. Making little shop owners pay for them is BS.

And now I don't get Runaways/X-Men which was really sounding like an awesome little package...:sad:

What there's only 1 Comic shop in Buffalo or something?

Ben
04-27-2006, 12:42 PM
It does kind of suck, though. I'm sure someone on the board will send you a copy, and I suspect that was your reason for posting this in the first place.

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Shop owners also have to pay to advertise! WTF! And their lease usually costs something, unless they own teh building. But even if they own the building, it means they had to pay for it once! That sucks! And all that food they need to stay alive? Costs money. I know! It's bullshit!

Luckily, the air they breath is free.... for now....
Sarcasm is duly noted.

Marvel and DC have the cash to pony up to give out free comics. Why is it that LCS owners should be expected to take a hit?

Ben
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Sarcasm is duly noted.

Marvel and DC have the cash to pony up to give out free comics. Why is it that LCS owners should be expected to take a hit?
I think Marvel and DC DO take a hit.

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
What there's only 1 Comic shop in Buffalo or something?
I dunno, as far as I know they're pretty scarce. We had 2, but one closed down a few years back.

Only other place I get comics is an FYE in Rochester, but I doubt that would participate in the event.

Gavin
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM

I'll send you mine when I get it. PM me your address.

twigglet
04-27-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm in the same boat :(

The-Last-Man
04-27-2006, 12:48 PM
The publishers will take huge hits making the comics, plus all the added shipping costs etc.

It blows that the retailers have to pay, but after all, the purpose of them giving away free comics is to hopefully bring in more customers on a regular basis.

Even one regular customer over the year would probably pay back all they shell out for the fcbd stuff.

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll send you mine when I get it. PM me your address.
Really? Thank man, I appreciate it!

Ben thinks that's the only reason I made this thread, but it was more about frustration. Joe Quesada talks about getting more people interested in comics, but it's down to the little guys to take care of stuff like this? Just feels like false advertising to me.

THAT Sean!
04-27-2006, 12:56 PM
The publishers spend more than the retailers, especially when you consider Marvel had brand-new content made for their FCBD book. And since the goal is to get more people buying comics in comicbook stores, the costs should be shouldered by both publishers and retailers.

No retailer is being "screwed" by publishers on FCBD.

THWIP!
04-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Mine's going to have one. Lucky I'm still in Albany for it because back home when it was in June or July my shop didn't have it because it wasn't worth it for him.

Olivier E.
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
can't you order that issue, without doing FCBD? it's in the marvel previews.

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 01:00 PM
The publishers spend more than the retailers, especially when you consider Marvel had brand-new content made for their FCBD book. And since the goal is to get more people buying comics in comicbook stores, the costs should be shouldered by both publishers and retailers.

No retailer is being "screwed" by publishers on FCBD.
Yeah, I understand that. When it comes down to it, I must say that Marvel's at least putting out a nice package. That's a lot more than DC can say. Maybe that's why it's a little frustrating. It's great if it's worth it, but a lot of the books being offered are reprints.

Ben
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I understand that. When it comes down to it, I must say that Marvel's at least putting out a nice package. That's a lot more than DC can say. Maybe that's why it's a little frustrating. It's great if it's worth it, but a lot of the books being offered are reprints.
I think you need to take a break and figure out exactly what it is that frustrates you.

Marcdachamp
04-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I think you need to take a break and figure out exactly what it is that frustrates you.
Yeah, I get that a lot. :lol:

Ray G.
04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Lame. My retailer is pulling a copy for me, so I'll see if I can snag an extra.

bartleby
04-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I already had a copy pulled for me this week since RUNAWAYS is on my subscription sheet.

Greenville 90210
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
FCBD should send comics to high schools, movie theaters, colleges, bars, etc. What's the point in giving comic fans free comics? It may raise a few books buys but it won't get new fans. New fans aren't in comic shops.

xanderharris
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
my LCS is not participating ...bah!

Ben
04-27-2006, 02:50 PM
FCBD should send comics to high schools, movie theaters, colleges, bars, etc. What's the point in giving comic fans free comics? It may raise a few books buys but it won't get new fans. New fans aren't in comic shops.
I think some retailers would disagree with that.

Greenville 90210
04-27-2006, 02:52 PM

Some.

THAT Sean!
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Every year, the Laughing Ogre goes to a local theatre to had out free comics. The first year, they gave out copies of Ultimate Spidey FCBD #1 at a Spider-Man sneak peek and it was so cool to see a theatre full of people thumbing through and actually reading a comic.

When Spider-Man 2 came out, we gave out free Mary Jane #1s at a downtown theatre, and that was a lot of fun, too.

As long as the retailer is controlling the FCBD traffic so they can stamp the comics or stuff them with flyers, it's a great idea. But if it's the FCBD committee of publishers doing it...not so good. Will they know where to go to get the next fix? The 800 locator number is great, but it's a hoop most won't bother to jump through, frankly.

Ben
04-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Some.
Yeah, I said "some."

Lord Jermaine Retail
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM

I disagree. Or rather I mean to say that if a shop can't spend...what was it? Twenty cents? Twenty cents each on like ten issues of Runaways X-men, then what are they doing? Why are they open? I made a posting previously where it came out that the Free Comics are not free to stores, which was news to me that everyone didn't know that. Here's the precise wording from Previews:

Note: In order to qualify as a Free Comic Book Day Participating Retailer, you must order $5 worth of each of the 10 titles listed under Gold Sponsors.

Gold titles are Archie, Simpsons, Star Wars Conan, Justice League Unlimited, GI Joe, Donald Duck, Transformers, Image Future Shock, and Tokyo Pop Sneak. $5 times ten is $50, right? That's approx. 30 Archies, 20 Simpsons, 20 Star Wars, 30 JL, 20 GI Joe, 20 Donald Duck, 20 Transformers, 30 Future Shock, 20 X-men Runaways, and 20 Tokyo. If a store can't turn a $50 invenstment of free stuff to reward customers and entice new people with into $20 worth of new comic and tpbs sales, then someone is asleep at the wheel and coasting. I don't mean to offend because I don't know your shop so I'm making broad generalizations. I come can come off as a know it all often but half of the things I learned to do were through trial and error or attmepting to have a plan of attack, who will see the books and what happens after they get them, before I even think about ordering free comics. Business is about calculated risks.

When were you told that there was to be no fcbd for you? Did you have to ask before you were told? I don't mind that the books are not free to retailers. They shouldn't be free to us because they cost money to make. We are the store and it is basically advertising for us and a way for us to say "thanks customers, have something on us." All day I've been emailing schools and libraries, tv stations, news papers, college radio (alerting the media like in the Kids in the Hall movie ;)). I have a plan. I don't know if it'll work but I have a plan. It makes me sad that a shop doesn't do fcbd because it can't justify the $50 minimum expense or come up with any ideas of how to recoup that cost. :(

If you would like the book, pm me your address and I'll get you the free book. I'm sure you're worth the expense.

Lord Jermaine Retail
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
One of my very best customers didn't start reading until he was in him mid twenties. Had never read a comic before. There are indeed people walking in off the stree cold all the time. Libraries can particpate in free comic book day as well as school media centers, but I'm pretty sure they don't know that. I'm taking steps here to make sure they do know for next year.

andrew french
04-27-2006, 05:57 PM
my old shop at home takes their free comics, the marvel, dc, star wars ones at least, to movie theaters on fcbd (in addition to giving them away in the store).