PDA

View Full Version : Seven Soldiers of Victory

Howlett
04-27-2006, 06:11 AM
A buddy of mine is loaning me these in the next day or so, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, you kind of need to read them all in a certain order to get the most out of them.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the order?

Jonny Z
04-27-2006, 06:13 AM
they should be in the back of every issue

Howlett
04-27-2006, 06:14 AM
they should be in the back of every issue
Ah, really? Sweet.

Thanks man :)

Lyfeforce
04-27-2006, 06:21 AM
According to Morrison in his intro to the vol.1 tpb, all of the issues can be read in their release order. So, dont read Zatanna 2 until you've read all the Number 1's in the crossover series.

However, possible spoilers below:
Morrison also said part of the fun of the seven soldiers of victory is that there's no direct correlation between any of the issues in the series.

How true that is near the end? I don't know. Trade waiting is now biting me in the ass.

Generic Poster
04-27-2006, 06:29 AM
I think you can read them by "series" or by release order.

Howlett
04-27-2006, 06:32 AM
According to Morrison in his intro to the vol.1 tpb, all of the issues can be read in their release order. So, dont read Zatanna 2 until you've read all the Number 1's in the crossover series.

However, possible spoilers below:
Morrison also said part of the fun of the seven soldiers of victory is that there's no direct correlation between any of the issues in the series.

How true that is near the end? I don't know. Trade waiting is now biting me in the ass.
Well, from the looks of the checklist I just found (turns out he gave me the 0 issue already) half the books didn't start until the other half finished, so I'll assume that the reading order is the one stated here.

Thanks for pointing that out though :)

Sorry to hear the trade waiting thing is biting you on the ass though :lol:

Ziolko
04-27-2006, 06:48 AM
You're supposed read them in the order they're released, but I think you can read them however you wish. Just be aware that little things from one series bleed over into others, but it's not 100% necessary to enjoy each series by themselves. However, I would recommend reading Seven Soldiers of Victory #0 first as it sets up the entire project.

Howlett
04-27-2006, 06:53 AM
You're supposed read them in the order they're released, but I think you can read them however you wish. Just be aware that little things from one series bleed over into others, but it's not 100% necessary to enjoy each series by themselves. However, I would recommend reading Seven Soldiers of Victory #0 first as it sets up the entire project.
Well, reading the 0 issue first was my plan :lol:

Since I'm getting the whole lot in one go, I wanted to know what order to read each issue so I'd see the little things that bleed over. I knew you can read each mini on it's own, but I want to get the full story with as little confusion as possible.

Thanks for the help guys :beer:

Ziolko
04-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, reading the 0 issue first was my plan :lol:

Since I'm getting the whole lot in one go, I wanted to know what order to read each issue so I'd see the little things that bleed over. I knew you can read each mini on it's own, but I want to get the full story with as little confusion as possible.

Thanks for the help guys :beer:

It'll be pretty obvious as you're reading where the "bleeding" occurs. One of the nice things about this series is how it gradually unfolds through the course of the mutiple series.

So don't worry about missing anything. Just enjoy each series, it's some damn good comic book making. :)

Constant Reader
04-27-2006, 07:00 AM
This is some great stuff. However you choose to read it, you'll enjoy it.

CR

Howlett
04-27-2006, 07:03 AM
It'll be pretty obvious as you're reading where the "bleeding" occurs. One of the nice things about this series is how it gradually unfolds through the course of the mutiple series.

So don't worry about missing anything. Just enjoy each series, it's some damn good comic book making. :)
Well, I've just read the 0 issue so if the rest of the series is any indication, I'm sure I'll like it at least :)

Howlett
04-27-2006, 07:04 AM
This is some great stuff. However you choose to read it, you'll enjoy it.

CR
Heh, hopefully. But I'm not exactly a Morrison fan so here's hoping :beer:

Ziolko
04-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Heh, hopefully. But I'm not exactly a Morrison fan so here's hoping :beer:

See, one of the things I love about this series is how Morrision adjusts his writing style for each book and artist. You see glimpses of his usual Morrision-ims here and there but for the most part you can tell he's really trying to make each book a unique reading experience.

Howlett
04-27-2006, 07:14 AM
See, one of the things I love about this series is how Morrision adjusts his writing style for each book and artist. You see glimpses of his usual Morrision-ims here and there but for the most part you can tell he's really trying to make each book a unique reading experience.
Sounds promising. Here's hoping my friend can get off his ass long enough to drop these out to me :mad:

I need comics dammit :cry:

CARSON
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I was thinking of rereading these in honor of issue #1 coming out so soon, but I remember not bieng crazy pleased with reading them in release order. It seemed to take away from the story, largely because each series is so different in tone. The release order makes the whole expereince feel so fractured. I much prefer:

0 issue
Shinging Knight
Zatanna
Manhattan Gaurdian
Klarion

and from there I don't know that it matters (as long as each sereis is read together). It just seeems to me that Shining Knight must come first and that Zattana must follow since The fate of the talking horse is dealt with in Zattana
and I remember that there was a subtle hint to the first two issues of Gaurdian in Klarion, so Gaurdian should be read first.

I know that the TPB's collect the event in release order but I'm curious to see if a complete hardcover is ever made, what the order would be. Any thoughts on a logical order (other than release)?

CARSON
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
seriously? nothing? :sad:

jason hissong
04-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Howlett-

I hope this gets you to 'get' Morrison.

7S is great.

Slingy
04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I was thinking of rereading these in honor of issue #1 coming out so soon, but I remember not bieng crazy pleased with reading them in release order. It seemed to take away from the story, largely because each series is so different in tone. The release order makes the whole expereince feel so fractured. I much prefer:

0 issue
Shinging Knight
Zatanna
Manhattan Gaurdian
Klarion

and from there I don't know that it matters (as long as each sereis is read together). It just seeems to me that Shining Knight must come first and that Zattana must follow since The fate of the talking horse is dealt with in Zattana
and I remember that there was a subtle hint to the first two issues of Gaurdian in Klarion, so Gaurdian should be read first.

I know that the TPB's collect the event in release order but I'm curious to see if a complete hardcover is ever made, what the order would be. Any thoughts on a logical order (other than release)?

I think a major point of this series was to avoid any sort of real logical order. They were made to be read in multiple ways, so you should try rereading them in a different order next time. The closest thing you're gonna get to a logical order would probably be by original release date.

Blake Sims
04-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Just read Frankenstien! #4, it was pretty damn good. It was cool when he had the fight with Nebula Man...sucks that the horse was getting killed/eaten. Seven Soldiers #1 should be fun.

Howlett
04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys.

And jhiss, I doubt I'll ever "get" Morrison, but I'll never rule out enjoying something he's done. And from the looks of the 0 issue, I'll probably enjoy this :)

Slingy
04-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Just read Frankenstien! #4, it was pretty damn good. It was cool when he had the fight with Nebula Man...sucks that the horse was getting killed/eaten. Seven Soldiers #1 should be fun.

I don't think that was Justin's horse, if that's what you were worried about. There were a bunch of em flying around.

Blake Sims
04-27-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't think that was Justin's horse, if that's what you were worried about. There were a bunch of em flying around.
oh man! well that takes a load off!
I was a little sad, well thats cool!

Flonk
04-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Read #0 first, and #1 last. Other than that, I don't think it really matters.

RickM
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I read Mr. Miracle 1-4 and Frankenstein 1-4 as they came out, and none of the others. I still have no clue about how to understand the storylines within the individual series themselves, let alone the larger event. But because it was Morrison and the art (at least on these two) was great, I read anyway, and they had their moments.

One problem with Morrison is that even though he's brilliant and an exceptional talent, he's also cold, and he paints a cold world with cold characters, and then I find I'm not emotionally invested in the storyline as a result. I think Seven Soldiers suffers from that, more than All-Star Superman and WE3 did.