PDA

View Full Version : I really enjoy living in Boston

DrMachine
04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm going to Bob Schimmel next weekend, and Jimmy Norton and Dave Attel the week after that

all we ever got in El Paso was Carlos Mendcia and George Lopez

:lol:

Gregory
04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
If I had my pick of cities to live in, Boston tops the list. It's been good to me each time I've been there.

CraigM
04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Boston is a really nice city. I need to come up there and visit again sometime soon.

Craig

SteveZegers
04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Boston is my second favorite US city. (After NY) I really like it up there and try to go at least once a year.

Shane W
04-26-2006, 07:59 AM
As a city, Boston is nice.. As a sports town, it's fans make it shit and since I'm always at sports events, it knocks Boston out of any running I may have.

Bald Steve
04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
As a city, Boston is nice.. As a sports town, it's fans make it shit and since I'm always at sports events, it knocks Boston out of any running I may have.

Amen to that, brother. I lived in Boston for ten years and made my living as a professional musician and I've gotta agree that Boston sports fans are the worst. I used to DREAD playing anywhere near the old Gahden (Fleet Center now) whenever there was a Bruins or Celtics games because it was a guaranteed bloodbath. Every time. I used to be in the house band at Dick's Last Resort on Huntington Ave. for years as well and every year on Marathon Monday? Brawl. Every St. Paddy's Day? Brawl. One was so bad that it took three paddywagons to haul out all the maniac townies. There was literally blood on the walls. Don't even get me started on the Fenway area. I used to rehearse near there (at New Alliance on Boylston for the locals) and every trip to that place on Red Sox night was an adventure.

"Hey Sid Vicious: Fahk you!"

(and after I shaved my head)

"Hey Billy Corghan: Fahk you!"

My ex lived near ther too and all through the night we would hear two things: Smashing beer bottles and word "Nomah".

Aside from passing through to have a few meals in the North End (Pommodoro Cafe, I'm talking to you), I'm all set with Beantown. Great city to spend your 20s in, though.

anthony the ghost
04-26-2006, 09:03 AM

biased much? what a joke.

TopFeeg
04-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I've always enjoyed living just outside of Boston, and love it even more being a student in town. My ONLY gripe with the city is that the subway shuts down early (12:30 AM). But Boston is small enough to get around quickly yet big enough to have its own cool little neighborhoods. We have a great bar scene, with alot of good concerts/shows that come to town. Our food is great, (and yes we do have good pizza, check out Boston's North End Italian area). And our sports is finally on the winning end, so I feel alot of the 250,000 college students (most not from Boston) use it as an excuse to act like and asshole, but all my friends, who are REAL sports fans, aren't arrogent, just excited. As an example, my grandfather was born and burried between times that the Sox won the World Series, and a similar story is told by many many other fans, so that kind of excitement is just running rampant through the city. It's unfortunate that you feel that Boston's fans aren't good, but I also think that you might be a bit biased (New England teams DID get all their first/return championships against Saint Louis Teams).

NickBurgess
04-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I love living in Boston. Though not for the comedians.

Dan
04-26-2006, 09:29 AM

I never agree with Shane ever, but he's right. You guys stink! My 4 years of college surrounded by Celtics & Sox & Bruins fans (the Pats sucked back then and everyone agreed about that), has led me to hate Boston sports fans. And they're most of my best friends! I just have to root against them all the time.

anthony the ghost
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I never agree with Shane ever, but he's right. You guys stink! My 4 years of college surrounded by Celtics & Sox & Bruins fans (the Pats sucked back then and everyone agreed about that), has led me to hate Boston sports fans. And they're most of my best friends! I just have to root against them all the time.

and what team do you root for? let me guess...

Bald Steve
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I love living in Boston. Though not for the comedians.

I'll bet, man. Right in Allston near that amazing Our House East Happy Hour? Best deal in town, at least it used to be. 2 for 1 apps and $2 beers, no?

Shane W
04-26-2006, 09:49 AM

No, I actually went to Boston in 2003 having the Sox as my American league team, I left there hating them.

TopFeeg
04-26-2006, 10:02 AM
No, I actually went to Boston in 2003 having the Sox as my American league team, I left there hating them.
Well, I went to Saint Louis in 03 with the Astros being my NL team. And I saw them beat the Cards in Busch. So I left still loving the Astros.

Shane W
04-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, I went to Saint Louis in 03 with the Astros being my NL team. And I saw them beat the Cards in Busch. So I left still loving the Astros.

I'm glad you had an experience that didn't change your view.

DrMachine
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not a sports fan

NickBurgess
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Soon living in Boston will be even better, as I will be plastering the city with posters advertising my CD. I hope to achieve 100% surface coverage.

DrMachine
04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Soon living in Boston will be even better, as I will be plastering the city with posters advertising my CD. I hope to achieve 100% surface coverage.

hopefully the posters will stand out from the others...it's just nuts in certain places

NickBurgess
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
hopefully the posters will stand out from the others...it's just nuts in certain places

They will stand OVER the others, thereby eliminating all competition.

Amos Moses
04-26-2006, 11:08 AM
East-coast elitist pig!

DrMachine
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
East-coast elitist pig!
yes?

Mark
04-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Boston is my second favorite US city. (After NY) I really like it up there and try to go at least once a year.
Ditto on literally every count. I just spent a few days there last week.

Bald Steve
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Fun Boston fact: Dave, the famous The Sausage Guy on Landsdowne Street used to manage my old band.

NickBurgess
04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Fun Boston Fact: When I go to Comicopia, Shwicaz knows me by name and serves me my comics on a platter of gold.

Bald Steve
04-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Fun Boston Fact: When I go to Comicopia, Shwicaz knows me by name and serves me my comics on a platter of gold.

LOL! That's where I used to buy every week as well.

Shane W
04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I never agree with Shane ever, but he's right as always.

Cool

KingMob
04-26-2006, 01:32 PM
i like geneticists....

Thudpucker
04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I've always thought it would be great to live in Boston.

But not for the entertainment acts you could see there. Very hard to beat Austin in that regard.

KingMob
04-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Very hard to beat Austin in that regard.

sure...all boston would have to do is book a midget on a unicycle juggling bowling pins. :)

DrMachine
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
I've always thought it would be great to live in Boston.

But not for the entertainment acts you could see there. Very hard to beat Austin in that regard.
the food here is good too, and you can get around without a car so you don't have to worry about that pesky insurance

RøcketFrøg
04-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Mmmmm...Shwicaz!

Thudpucker
04-26-2006, 03:57 PM
the food here is good too, and you can get around without a car so you don't have to worry about that pesky insurance

:lol:

It really does sound like a great city. Maybe someday if there's a Con or something going on I'll fly out and take a look around because I've always wanted to see it.