PDA

View Full Version : BrianS finally saw CRASH

BrianS
04-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Well, having seen Crash I have to say Brokeback Mountain was robbed. Crash has its moments, but ultimately plays out as a poor mans Paul Thomas Anderson film. Its well acted, but poorly directed. And Matt Dillon did NOT deserve best supporting actor (neither did Jake Gyllenhaal for that matter…)

Brokeback was a much more satisfying film, though overblown at this point. It is a small, well crafted film, with incredible performances from Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams.

But you know what? Neither film comes close to the real best film of last year, Batman Begins. Neither Crash nor Brokeback offered the psychological journey or filmmaking skill Batman did.

Garth
04-25-2006, 07:52 AM
The day a Batman movie wins a best-film nomination is the day I...well I don't know what I'd do, but I'd be surprised, that's for sure.

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Crash is easily one of the worst films to ever win best picture.

ds9
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Crash is easily one of the worst films to ever win best picture.:mistrust:

ds9
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Batman Begins was a great film.

artimoff
04-25-2006, 08:14 AM

Gladiator? Rocky? Wha??!

ThePunnishherrr!
04-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Gladiator? Rocky? Wha??!

Braveheart. Forrest Gump. Driving Miss Daisy. The list goes on and on. And I'll bet if you go back and watch a bunch of old movies that won in the forties and fifties, they'd mostly suck too.

ds9
04-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Braveheart. Forrest Gump. Driving Miss Daisy.I HATE MISS DAISY:-x

PatrickA
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Braveheart. Forrest Gump. Driving Miss Daisy. The list goes on and on. And I'll bet if you go back and watch a bunch of old movies that won in the forties and fifties, they'd mostly suck too.

All better than Crash.

Crash was a crappy after school special.

ds9
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
All better than Crash.

Crash was a crappy after school special.:liar:

ThePunnishherrr!
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
All better than Crash.

It was pretty bad.

glk
04-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Capote was robbed of best picture.

ds9
04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
:drama: :leia:

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 09:53 AM
All better than Crash.

Agreed. I'm sure there were some real REAL stinkers back in the day, I haven't seen EVERY film that won, but I've seen all the one that have won in the last 30 years, and I tell you, time will not be kind to Crash.

ds9
04-25-2006, 10:36 AM
:twisted:

The Roman Candle
04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, it was obnoxiously ham-fisted, melodramatic, and predictable.

John Drake
04-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Weird that you people don't like it. I loved Crash.

The Roman Candle
04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Weird that you people don't like it. I loved Crash.

It was ok. I just didn't think it was that great (due to the reasons I listed above). But, you know, diff'rent strokes and all that.

Blake Sims
04-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Wait wait wait...Batman Begins best picture...?
whawhaaaaaaaaaa

The Roman Candle
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
whawhaaaaaaaaaa

I decided to just skip over that part.

Batman Begins was great, but there were a lot of flaws in the script.

Blake Sims
04-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I decided to just skip over that part.

Batman Begins was great, but there were a lot of flaws in the script.
yeah...

SethInAz
04-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I HATE MISS DAISY:-x

you be racist!

There are some old movies that I enjoy. John Wayne war flicks, the Glenn Miller story, to name a few.

BrianS
04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
whawhaaaaaaaaaa

What was better last year?

nrrdgrrl
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Ahem...

Titanic.

I rest my case.

Blake Sims
04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
What was better last year?
Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Walk the Line, Good Night and Good Luck...

ds9
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Walk the Line, Good Night and Good Luck...None of them.

Raphael J
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
None of them.

How many of them did you see?

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Ahem...

Titanic.

I rest my case.

I'll tell you why Crash was worse than Titanic. At least Titanic was honest about it's attempts to emotionally engage you through cheap melodrama.

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
How many of them did you see?

I can tell you which one he will never see, which doesn't stop him from having an opinion about.

Raphael J
04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I can tell you which one he will never see, which doesn't stop him from having an opinion about.

That's what I assumed, and that's why I asked.

YouStayClassy
04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I'll tell you why Crash was worse than Titanic. At least Titanic was honest about it's attempts to emotionally engage you through cheap melodrama.

Plus Titanic didn't offer Hollywood's ham-fisted "racism is bad" take they've been shoving down our throats since Higher Learning.

ThisSpaceForRent
04-25-2006, 11:47 AM

I'd say worst. And by a large margin.
And if I hear "ensemble cast" used again in relation to that bunch of wash-ups, I'll scream.

Blake Sims
04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
None of them.
i was referring to those being better than Batman Begins...
are we on the same page?

ThisSpaceForRent
04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah, it was obnoxiously ham-fisted, melodramatic, and predictable.

And don't forget that L.A. is about 4 blocks big in this movie...that's how everyone's story intersects...it was like that Simpsons episode "22 Short Films About Springfield"....except, you know....not good at all.

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I'd say worst. And by a large margin.
And if I hear "ensemble cast" used again in relation to that bunch of wash-ups, I'll scream.

The least of Crash's considerable crimes against good taste, but one of the funniest regardless, is that now there is an Academy Award winning picture on the resume of Tony Danza.

nrrdgrrl
04-25-2006, 11:53 AM

My Crash experience didn't involve me sitting in a theater surrounded by 14 year old girls bawling about some scrawny kid dying.

And I don't believe that James Cameron is capable of being honest about his use of cheap melodrama.

But at least he didn't work on the Facts of Life. Point conceded.

MIKE D
04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
My Crash experience didn't involve me sitting in a theater surrounded by 14 year old girls bawling about some scrawny kid dying.

And I don't believe that James Cameron is capable of being honest about his use of cheap melodrama.

But at least he didn't work on the Facts of Life. Point conceded.

Don't get me wrong. Titanic is pure torture, and worthy of your considerable derision. I think it's only adored by the type of women that collect unicorn figurines.

ds9
04-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Plus Titanic didn't offer Hollywood's ham-fisted "racism is bad" take they've been shoving down our throats since Higher Learning.Cause its oh so good.

ds9
04-26-2006, 04:10 AM
How many of them did you see?Only one I didnt see was Brokeback

ds9
04-26-2006, 04:12 AM
Deep down I wonder why some hate Crash so much?

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Deep down I wonder why some hate Crash so much?

Because it was a terrible, horrible, smarmy and dishonest film about a topic that has been covered an infinite number of times by an infinite number of better filmmakers.

Having seen Capote now, I toss my vote thataways. GREAT movie.

Still love King Kong too.

Raphael J
04-26-2006, 04:29 AM
Only one I didnt see was Brokeback

So then, without seeing it, how can you say it wasn't better than Crash?

And I wonder, deep down, why some hate Brokeback Mountain.

Doug
04-26-2006, 05:22 AM
The movies that I thought were the best films last year were:
Munich
Good Night and Good Luck
Match Point
Capote

I didn't like Crash because it felt very manipulative, and Don Cheadle (an actor that I love) felt like waisted talent in the film. It shocked me when Ludacris gave the best performance in the film.

I didn't care for Brokeback Mountain because, to me, it was pretty dull. I'm not a fan of romance films (hated the English Patient, hated Shakespear in Love). The acting was very good, but it just kind of dragged for me.

gwyllgi
04-26-2006, 05:28 AM
I liked the movie okay. It had its moments and its point.

I don't think it should have won best picture though.

ds9
04-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Because it was a terrible, horrible, smarmy and dishonest film about a topic that has been covered an infinite number of times by an infinite number of better filmmakers.

Having seen Capote now, I toss my vote thataways. GREAT movie.

Still love King Kong too.You like Pres Bush right?

MIKE D
04-26-2006, 06:36 AM
You like Pres Bush right?

I hate President Bush, and completely agree with Ethan's evaluation of the film. Try again.

SaintMike
04-26-2006, 06:41 AM
I thought that Crash was a good, thought provoking flick...not an Oscar winner but no where near crappy... I gave it three stars.

Capote's a near masterpiece IMO. Should have won.

I wondered what the big deal about The English Patient was; then I saw it. That was crap.

And Batman Begins should have had it's hat thrown in the ring for Best Picture. Absolutely criminal...

ds9
04-26-2006, 06:48 AM
I hate President Bush, and completely agree with Ethan's evaluation of the film. Try again.I can think of other things but does it really matter. You guys hate. I liked it and Im glad it was recognized. It personally offended some and It made other people think about the issues touched in the movies. ;)

MIKE D
04-26-2006, 06:52 AM
I heard the book adaption of CRASH was called RACISM FOR DUMMIES.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 06:52 AM
You like Pres Bush right?

Yes, what does that have to do with this shitty movie? People who like W. are racist, and therefore repelled by CRASH?

Talk about it for me, please.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 06:53 AM
I thought that Crash was a good, thought provoking flick...not an Oscar winner but no where near crappy... I gave it three stars.

Capote's a near masterpiece IMO. Should have won.

I wondered what the big deal about The English Patient was; then I saw it. That was crap.

And Batman Begins should have had it's hat thrown in the ring for Best Picture. Absolutely criminal...

See, I liked the English Patient! Ralph Fiennes is one of the best actors working today, in my opinion.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 06:56 AM
I can think of other things but does it really matter. You guys hate. I liked it and Im glad it was recognized. It personally offended some and It made other people think about the issues touched in the movies. ;)

I'll bet you it didn't make one person 'think'. Did it make you 'think'?

I was thinking, "so at what point do we find out that this is a tiny little simulacrum of Earth created by liberal Martians, and where is Rod Serling?"

Dude, it was a bad movie. Real people don't behave that way, even real racist people, and therefore nothing that was said about people was real either.

MIKE D
04-26-2006, 06:57 AM

That's not true. I thought about turning it off.

SaintMike
04-26-2006, 06:58 AM
See, I liked the English Patient! Ralph Fiennes is one of the best actors working today, in my opinion.

I agree...Raeph Fiennes is a great actor...I hated the movie. :lol:

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 07:01 AM
I agree...Raeph Fiennes is a great actor...I hated the movie. :lol:

Alright, I admit, it's been a few years since I've seen it. I remember a lot of sand, and something about fresh eggs. But I'm fairly sure I liked it.

I agree about Batman Begins too, but you can only assert your opinion that a Batman movie was Oscar worthy so many times to peels of laughter and derision before you stop. Batman Begins was an actual GOOD FILM.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 07:02 AM
That's not true. I thought about turning it off.

Yes, but were you moved to act on your thoughts?

Raphael J
04-26-2006, 07:02 AM
I can think of other things but does it really matter. You guys hate. I liked it and Im glad it was recognized. It personally offended some and It made other people think about the issues touched in the movies. ;)

C'mon DS9, why not give Brokeback Mountain a try? Maybe you'll end up enjoying it more than Crash? What's the harm in trying new things? Experimenting a little? Maybe you'll enjoy it so much that you'll never go back to watching Crash?

Oh, and if it takes a movie beating you over the head to make you think about racism, then you're doing something very big, very badly.

MIKE D
04-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Yes, but were you moved to act on your thoughts?

Nope! The couch was just too damn comfortable.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Nope! The couch was just too damn comfortable.

I rest my case. This movie accomplished nothing.

Except win an Oscar. And by the way, my next kid's name is going to be Oscar Worthy Van Sciver.

Seltzer Water
04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
I love President Bush and am so racist that I refuse to watch this movie. Well, also because I trust Mike D's opinion.

RegularJoe
04-26-2006, 07:13 AM
i didn't think 'good night & good luck' was anything worth getting excited over. i appreciate the historical significance of it's story and appreciated the style of the film, but my friend and i seriously considered walking out of it we were so bored. only reason we decided not to leave was we'd past the point of no-refund.

i liked crash. i didn't think it was a good social commentary, nor did i think it was all that thought provoking, but i did enjoy it on the merits of i left feeling entertained.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 07:14 AM
I loooved Good Night and Good Luck. Loved it.

RegularJoe
04-26-2006, 07:18 AM
anyone notice that t-bag from prison break was in "gn, gl"?

ds9
04-26-2006, 10:10 AM
C'mon DS9, why not give Brokeback Mountain a try? Maybe you'll end up enjoying it more than Crash? What's the harm in trying new things? Experimenting a little? Maybe you'll enjoy it so much that you'll never go back to watching Crash?

Oh, and if it takes a movie beating you over the head to make you think about racism, then you're doing something very big, very badly.If its out on cable maybe. My fiance wants to see it on dvd. ew

ds9
04-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I was thinking, "so at what point do we find out that this is a tiny little simulacrum of Earth created by liberal Martians, and where is Rod Serling?"

Dude, it was a bad movie. Real people don't behave that way, even real racist people, and therefore nothing that was said about people was real either.Those damn evil liberals.:-x

ds9
04-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Yes, what does that have to do with this shitty movie? People who like W. are racist, and therefore repelled by CRASH?

Talk about it for me, please.yes:grope:

MIKE D
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
ew

yucky

You display all the emotional maturity of a Strawberry Shortcake cartoon.

ds9
04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
You display all the emotional maturity of a Strawberry Shortcake cartoon.No GIJOE.

Ethan Van Sciver
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Those damn evil liberals.:-x

No, those damn stupid, condescending and patronizing liberals. :grope:

Fusion
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Allot of bitter people who are still bitching about Crash? *lol* To me that Movie Deserved it, bar none. Allot of movies didn't deserve an oscar, why so much venom for this one? Hmmmmmm.....................:roll:

ds9
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
No, those damn stupid, condescending and patronizing liberals. :grope:As a black man I fear conservatives more.

ds9
04-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Allot of bitter people who are still bitching about Crash? *lol* To me that Movie Deserved it, bar none. Allot of movies didn't deserve an oscar, why so much venom for this one? Hmmmmmm.....................:roll:its the darkside

MIKE D
04-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Allot of bitter people who are still bitching about Crash? *lol* To me that Movie Deserved it, bar none. Allot of movies didn't deserve an oscar, why so much venom for this one? Hmmmmmm.....................:roll:

Yes, keep assigning ulterior motives to the people that recognize that this wasn't a good film. That's super intelligent.

ds9
04-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Yes, keep assigning ulterior motives to the people that recognize that this wasn't a good film. That's super intelligent.You say it wasnt a good film like its a fact. It wasnt a good film to you.

MIKE D
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
You say it wasnt a good film like its a fact. It wasnt a good film to you.

And you say it was a better film than I film you won't see like its a fact.

ds9
04-27-2006, 03:55 AM
And you say it was a better film than I film you won't see like its a fact.I know the short story and the subject and its not to my liking but ill see it on cable.

Fourthman
04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm in L.A. right now and was shot by a white cop a few minutes ago. Crash still sucked.

Seltzer Water
04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm in L.A. right now and was shot by a white cop a few minutes ago. Crash still sucked.

It was probably your fault

ds9
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm in L.A. right now and was shot by a white cop a few minutes ago. Crash still sucked.I wonder why he shot you:roll: