PDA

View Full Version : Beyond! #1 ???

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 08:43 AM
I saw this in the wallpaper section on marvel.com and never heard of it before. Anyone know what it is? Look's like a What If? or something. :-?

Joe Henderson
04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Not a What If?, basically just a random group of characters thrust together for a cosmic odyssey. I'm actually a big fan of the idea--I always enjoy seeing characters you wouldn't normally combine tossed together. And Dwayne McDuffie is coming off some excellent work on Justice League Unlimited (the cartoon, not the comic), so it could be good.

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 08:48 AM
So this isn't in continuety?

Joe Henderson
04-21-2006, 08:55 AM
It's as in continuity as anything in Marvel is nowadays. Will it be reflected in any other books? Doubtful, but that rarely happens to the consequences for limited series like that (like Punisher/Bullseye, Daredevil/Punisher, etc)

bstie1198
04-21-2006, 08:55 AM
So this isn't in continuety?

Here's what's known about the series:

BEYOND #1 (OF 6)
Written by DWAYNE MCDUFFIE
Pencils & Cover by SCOTT KOLINS
An indescribably powerful cosmic being gathers nine of Marvelís most mismatched super beings for purposes beyond their comprehension. Can Spider-Man, Gravity, Venom, Henry Pym, The Wasp, Medusa, Kraven, Firebird and the Hood keep from killing each other before they have to face the dangers of their destination, the deadly artificial planet known as Battleworld?
32 PGS./Rated A ...$2.99

GabeLogan
04-21-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm sold.

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Sounds very fun to read, thanx for the info.

classicist
04-21-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm still hoping for a jeri-curled Beyonder

Bill Nolan
04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it seems to be a modern retake/sequel/whatever to Secret Wars, but there is absolutely zero promotion behind it, so it will just flounder and die on the vine. I'd like to hear more, too.

- Bill

classicist
04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, it seems to be a modern retake/sequel/whatever to Secret Wars, but there is absolutely zero promotion behind it, so it will just flounder and die on the vine. I'd like to hear more, too.

- Bill

McDuffie was interviewed as saying that he was inspired by Shooter's original concept for Secret Wars - that we'd get to see how all of these characters who never met would interact, and how they would react when taken out of their normal settings. I like the cast he's put together for it - the new Venom, Gravity, the Hood - though Medusa is kind of a left-field choice (he said he just needed more women in the group).

J. R. Scherer
04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
So is this a sequel to Secret Wars, or have they decided that Secret Wars is no longer in continuity and this is the 'new, official' Secret Wars?

I'm kind of baffled. :?

GabeLogan
04-21-2006, 10:09 AM
So is this a sequel to Secret Wars, or have they decided that Secret Wars is no longer in continuity and this is the 'new, official' Secret Wars?

when did Secret Wars get considered to be out of continuity?

classicist
04-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Secret Wars is still in continuity. This isn't necessarily a sequel to the original - we don't know if the Beyonder is involved, or not - but I guess you could say that it's inspired by the original. Expect Spidey to say "Not this bs again..."

Colin Boylan
04-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Isn't the original Secret Wars something we should just pretend never happened? It started the whole symbiote thing in the Spider-Man books.

classicist
04-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Isn't the original Secret Wars something we should just pretend never happened? It started the whole symbiote thing in the Spider-Man books.

Well, I'm all in favor of ignoring Secret Wars II - but the original wasn't bad at all.

THAT Sean!
04-21-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64644

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7037

GabeLogan
04-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the links. I like how others are starting to incorporate Gravity into more books. When are you going to do another mini with him?

ThisSpaceForRent
04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
The Hood!

Blake Sims
04-21-2006, 10:27 AM
it looks like it should be fun. I like Kolins' art so I might pick it up.

Bill Nolan
04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the links, Sean. Marvel really seems to be hyping up the Secret Wars connection more in the solicitation than the creators did in those interviews.

- Bill

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, Venom look's completely different. Kinda reminds me of Spawn.

classicist
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Wow, Venom look's completely different. Kinda reminds me of Spawn.

It looks like it's supposed to be the new Scorpion Venom from Millar's Spider-Man.

joeAR
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
It looks like it's supposed to be the new Scorpion Venom from Millar's Spider-Man.

I'm so glad somebody's using that. I thought for sure that that would be forgotten.

J. R. Scherer
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Cool!

This book is looking like a lot of fun. I've always enjoyed both creators' work.

One thing does seem off to me, though--why does the Scorpion look like Venom? I understand that he has the symbiote now, but one of the main abilities of the alien costume is to look like whatever its wearer wants it to. Wouldn't Mac Gargan go with more of a scorpion-ish theme for his look, even if he didn't duplicate the exact earlier Venom outfit?

Pat Loika
04-21-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm just glad someone decided to use AL KRAVEN.

P.

classicist
04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm just glad someone decided to use AL KRAVEN.

P.

If JLU can get me interested in Vigilante and the Shining Knight, I'll trust McDuffie with just about anyone...

GabeLogan
04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Cool!

This book is looking like a lot of fun. I've always enjoyed both creators' work.

One thing does seem off to me, though--why does the Scorpion look like Venom? I understand that he has the symbiote now, but one of the main abilities of the alien costume is to look like whatever its wearer wants it to. Wouldn't Mac Gargan go with more of a scorpion-ish theme for his look, even if he didn't duplicate the exact earlier Venom outfit?
I don't know much about the new Vemon really. Has he been in anything except the couple of MK SM books since then? I'm not sure much has been explored with him yet.

J. R. Scherer
04-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't know much about the new Vemon really. Has he been in anything except the couple of MK SM books since then? I'm not sure much has been explored with him yet.
I don't think anything's been done with him either. It just seems odd that it would retain the previous Venom look when the wearer can make it look like whatever he wants. Eddie Brock kept it looking like the black Spidey costume because he was so fixated on Spider-Man. The Scorpion seems to have more of a sense of his own identity to me. I also wish that they'd get away from the fangs and slobber look as well. Never cared much for that.

Bill Nolan
04-21-2006, 02:00 PM
I would have preferred Toxin. His two mini-series have been fantastic, and I would love to see more of the character.

- Bill

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
So...is Eddie Brock dead and the guy who was Scorpian now Venom?

Vonn Hennigar
04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
So...is Eddie Brock dead and the guy who was Scorpian now Venom?

Yes. I think

Eddie has cancer and i think killed himself Kraven Style. I'm too lazy to pull my Marvel Knights Spider-Man Vol. 2 off the bookshelve to check.

Marcdachamp
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Looks decent. Might give the trade a shot.

Bearpod91
04-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Yes. I think

Eddie has cancer and i think killed himself Kraven Style. I'm too lazy to pull my Marvel Knights Spider-Man Vol. 2 off the bookshelve to check.
Damn I need to catch up...

Ryan F
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you sure that's not the new symbiote guy from the Milligan series? I think its Toxin.

J. R. Scherer
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Are you sure that's not the new symbiote guy from the Milligan series? I think its Toxin.
He's using a tail in some of the art for it. I'd say that Scorpion/Venom is much more likely to do that.

Ryan F
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
He's using a tail in some of the art for it. I'd say that Scorpion/Venom is much more likely to do that.

Reading an interview, I guess it is Venom. Weird.