PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Alias returns tonight with 2 episodes! The show is going out with a bang.

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Remember that Alias returns with 2 episodes tonight from 8pm to 10pm Eastern.

When last we saw the show, it ended with an amazing episode. The final 8 episodes start tonight, and all bets are off, based on what I've heard. Major character deaths, surprises, and the return of old friends and enemies.

I'm really excited about this. This is gonna be good. Jack Bristow! :)

Jonny Z
04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
word. cant wait

Briomega
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Looking forward to it but I honestly can't recall how the last episode ended it's been so long.

Joe Henderson
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I haven't watched much of this season but I'll tune in in the hopes that they bring everything together and stop sucking.

Smokinblues
04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
bah. they're replacing lost for a show they're killing off because it got stale. pfff.

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Looking forward to it but I honestly can't recall how the last episode ended it's been so long.

I'll wrap spoiler tags around it, but here are the really cool bits we saw in the previous episode:

Irina Derevko kidnapped Sydney and subjected her to a psychological hypnosis that would force her to look back on her days working with SD-6 to uncover the truth about something called "The Horizon," which we don't understand yet. Sydney doesn't yet know about her mother's involvement.

Sydney woke up after Irina and the character played by Amy Acker (whose name escapes me at the moment) fled with that information.

Sydney was stranded on a boat out in the middle of nowhere.

How all of this connects to the "Prophet Five" project and the "death" of Vaughn is yet to be revealed.

I'm hoping they at least have the sense to recap all of that before tonight's episode, because it's all a little confusing (but then again, I haven't seen the episodes since they aired, so I'm typing from pure memory). :)

bah. they're replacing lost for a show they're killing off because it got stale. pfff.

Yeah, but it's only for one night, and ABC would have to air a rerun anyway, so in terms of original programming, it's either this or Dancing with the Stars or *shudder* Freddie/George Lopez. I'll take Alias. :D

Briomega
04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I'll wrap spoiler tags around it, but here are the really cool bits we saw in the previous episode:

Irina Derevko kidnapped Sydney and subjected her to a psychological hypnosis that would force her to look back on her days working with SD-6 to uncover the truth about something called "The Horizon," which we don't understand yet. Sydney doesn't yet know about her mother's involvement.

Sydney woke up after Irina and the character played by Amy Acker (whose name escapes me at the moment) fled with that information.

Sydney was stranded on a boat out in the middle of nowhere.

How all of this connects to the "Prophet Five" project and the "death" of Vaughn is yet to be revealed.

I'm hoping they at least have the sense to recap all of that before tonight's episode, because it's all a little confusing (but then again, I haven't seen the episodes since they aired, so I'm typing from pure memory). :)

Yeah, but it's only for one night, and ABC would have to air a rerun anyway, so in terms of original programming, it's either this or Dancing with the Stars or *shudder* Freddie/George Lopez. I'll take Alias. :D

Ahh, yeah, that sounds familiar. Yeah, they better have a decent recap.

Briomega
04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Phew! They certainly are off to a hell of a start. If the rest of the final episodes are like this one it's gonna be a hell of a ride.

Deej
04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I forgot how badass Jack is!! It's too bad this show went down the hill...great concept and characters.

james michael
04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
i didnt know fred was on this...

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Now THAT was an amazing couple of classic Alias episodes right there! :)

I loved it.

Highlights for me included:

Jack Bristow is all badass, bloodying that CIA director's nose after shooting him a couple of times.
Irina Derevko is all badass, killing said CIA director.
"Grandpa" Bristow.
The callback to "Truth Takes Time."
Inclusion of Director Devlin, who we haven't seen since the 1st or 2nd season.
Great moment between Syd and Dixon. "You wobble when you walk."
The birth of Sydney's baby was executed as it should be: Jack as coach, Irina as doctor. I found it incredibly moving (not to tears, but tugging at the heart-strings).
And that tag scene: Vaughn's not dead! :)

If they can keep this level of quality up over the last few episodes, I'll be contented to let this show go, because it's going out in style. I was absolutely blown away by these episodes. Great stuff.

sto110
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
i completely lost interest in alias two seasons ago, let me know how this season is.

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 06:10 PM
i completely lost interest in alias two seasons ago, let me know how this season is.

The first two seasons were stellar. The third season saw things decline, and the fourth season was slightly better, improving with each passing episode.

This season had a rocky start, but the show has really kicked into high gear during the last 3 episodes and looks to finish very strong. I'd definitely recommend checking them out. It's not quite up to par with the first 2 seasons, but this season is definitely better than the last 2 seasons (in my opinion).

Briomega
04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Now THAT was an amazing couple of classic Alias episodes right there! :)

I loved it.

Highlights for me included:

Jack Bristow is all badass, bloodying that CIA director's nose after shooting him a couple of times.
Irina Derevko is all badass, killing said CIA director.
"Grandpa" Bristow.
The callback to "Truth Takes Time."
Inclusion of Director Devlin, who we haven't seen since the 1st or 2nd season.
Great moment between Syd and Dixon. "You wobble when you walk."
The birth of Sydney's baby was executed as it should be: Jack as coach, Irina as doctor. I found it incredibly moving (not to tears, but tugging at the heart-strings).
And that tag scene: Vaughn's not dead! :)

If they can keep this level of quality up over the last few episodes, I'll be contented to let this show go, because it's going out in style. I was absolutely blown away by these episodes. Great stuff.

Yeah, was really excellent. I was confused by that last string of events though. It seemed like Jack and Sydney knew Vaughn was alive and that's what they were alluding to on the plane that Jack said he'd take care of? Or did I miss something?

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, was really excellent. I was confused by that last string of events though. It seemed like Jack and Sydney knew Vaughn was alive and that's what they were alluding to on the plane that Jack said he'd take care of? Or did I miss something?

My interpretation is the same as yours. When Sydney looks at Jack and says, "Dad," and he pauses and then says, "I'll take care of it," in light of the tag scene, I took that to mean that Sydney and Jack knew Vaughn was alive.

I don't think you missed something. It's a given that the next few episodes will shed light on that tag scene and what really happened with Vaughn.

Briomega
04-19-2006, 06:27 PM
My interpretation is the same as yours. When Sydney looks at Jack and says, "Dad," and he pauses and then says, "I'll take care of it," in light of the tag scene, I took that to mean that Sydney and Jack knew Vaughn was alive.

I don't think you missed something. It's a given that the next few episodes will shed light on that tag scene and what really happened with Vaughn.

Yeah, figured as much. Wasn't sure if I was misinterpreting. Given his location it seems likely.

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Forgot to mention one of my favorite parts of the episode:

I LOVED seeing Jack/Irina/Sydney on a mission together again. The banter, the betrayal by Irina, all building up to Sydney's interruption. "Dad. Dad. The baby's coming."

Yeah, the birthing scene was highly unrealistic (as is everything else on this show involving the CIA), but honestly, I loved it. Totally satisfying. This show is at its best when it explores the dynamics of the Bristow family, and these episodes were no exception.

madmartigan
04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7056/rachelnichols053ak.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Briomega
04-19-2006, 06:39 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7056/rachelnichols053ak.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:thumb: :heart:

Evan Wiener
04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
These episodes reminded me of why I loved this show in its prime. Some cheeseball moments and things happening so fast it's ridiculously unrealistic, but that's what makes the show fun. It's a lightning paced show that starts at 100 mph right from the begining to end.

Agreed about the stuff about:

Vaughn. We all knew he wasn't dead. They never showed a body at the funeral, and they just as easily could have burried an empty coffin. Called that in the 'death' episode. I had a feeling Syndey knew Vaughn wasn't dead, because all season she made reference to him not being there, but not dead (until tonight I think).

Kind of threw me off, but yeah, they both know he's in hiding. I think they planned it, and wanted to hide him until they unearthed who was trying to kill him and why.

I had this theory about the show after season 3. Syd, Syd's sister (retroactively, of course since she appeared late in Season 3), Vaughn, Vaughn's ex-wife, and Sark are all the same age and all have parents involved in secret ops for various governments. I thought they were all given this Project Christmas training while growing up, which explains why these people are capable of doing things others can't. They were bred for secret ops by their parents. I always thought Syd's mom was working as a wildcard to prevent Sloane AND the CIA from getting the complete true Rambaldi device. I always thought she was the real hero of the show, preventing any powerbase from getting a weapon neither could be trusted with. Not sure if that still makes sense anymore, but I thought it explained a lot of her mothers duplicitous behavior.

Sy-Klone
04-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Vaughn. We all knew he wasn't dead. They never showed a body at the funeral, and they just as easily could have burried an empty coffin. Called that in the 'death' episode. I had a feeling Syndey knew Vaughn wasn't dead, because all season she made reference to him not being there, but not dead (until tonight I think).

Yeah, I sensed something was up when Vaughn died. First, I noticed that Sydney was insistent that Vaughn drink something, and that was minutes before he began to "die." Second, Sydney didn't cry for him at the funeral (at least that we saw). She was incredibly sad, incredibly somber, but she didn't cry. This is a girl who cried in the first season when her dad stood her up for dinner, but when the love of her life dies, she's not more choked up about it? I sensed this would be their out.

Oh, and I completely agree about Irina...I'm still not convinced that she's a villain. Tonight she told Sydney, "You want things to be easy." I think Irina accepts that the world is all about shades of gray, and she believes that ultimately what she is doing is for the greater good for Sydney and Jack. I think Irina is about three steps ahead of anyone else at any given moment.

dimeshop
04-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I really liked this ep. I was kinda eh about last season and most of this season, but this was great and next week looks good as well. One gripe:
why did they have that shot of vaughn in the last scene in some of the ads heralding the return of michael vartan? It spoiled the moment for me (even though I agree that they left the door open for Vaughn to come back, I wasn't sure if Vartan would necessarily do it).

Also if you do that, why not give the same love to Gina Torres (who has that built-in whedonite fanbase) and Bradley Cooper in the ads for next week?

madmartigan
04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Why did Peter or Agent Tom Grace need to talk with the Cardinal?

LordKinbote
04-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Here's a question...

After the monk said "You have a new baby girl" at the end, what would have been more shocking: a shot of Vaughan or a shot of anyone other than Vaughan?

chris page
04-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Here's a question...

After the monk said "You have a new baby girl" at the end, what would have been more shocking: a shot of Vaughan or a shot of anyone other than Vaughan?

a shot of affleck?

bartleby
04-20-2006, 04:58 AM
a shot of affleck?

Tom Cruise

McAfee
04-20-2006, 06:07 AM
I really liked this ep. I was kinda eh about last season and most of this season, but this was great and next week looks good as well. One gripe:
why did they have that shot of vaughn in the last scene in some of the ads heralding the return of michael vartan? It spoiled the moment for me (even though I agree that they left the door open for Vaughn to come back, I wasn't sure if Vartan would necessarily do it).

Also if you do that, why not give the same love to Gina Torres (who has that built-in whedonite fanbase) and Bradley Cooper in the ads for next week?

Not that I disagree with you, but...

Vaughn was promised a return in a previous episode, when in fact it was all in a dream.

And I find myself very interested in who The Cardinal is and what he has to do with any of this.

Great episode. THIS is what I expect from Alias.:)

Dead Moogle
04-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Needs more Sark.

dimeshop
04-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Needs more Sark.

The thing I love about Sark: no matter how often allegiances shift or whatever, Sark is always evil. Always.

dougmac
04-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Weinerdog I like your Irina theory

Dead Moogle
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
The thing I love about Sark: no matter how often allegiances shift or whatever, Sark is always evil. Always.

I was actually anticipating what his newfound "change of heart" would be like when he appeared this season, but when it came and he just decided that he couldn't stand it, I was like "fuck it, even better".

Meteornotes
04-20-2006, 09:42 AM
That was two hours of kickass entertainment. I'm just hoping the word "Rambaldi" comes up at least once in the remaining episodes...

dt

FedEx Fanboy
04-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Needs more Sark.

Just got around to seeing these and I agree...

I miss Sark.

Sark needs his own show.