PDA

View Full Version : Katie Holmes gives birth to Tom Cruise's baby girl

Corey A.
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ten months after her whirlwind engagement to movie star Tom Cruise, actress Katie Holmes gave birth on Tuesday to the couple's first child, a girl they named Suri, their spokesman said.

Mother and daughter, who weighed in at 7 pounds, 7 ounces (3.4 kg) and measured 20 inches at birth, were both "doing well," Cruise's publicist, Paul Bloch, said in a statement.

The name Suri has its origins in Hebrew, meaning "princess," or Persian, meaning "red rose," the statement said.

The birth of Cruise's first biological child came in the midst of a promotional campaign for his upcoming film "Mission: Impossible III," which is due in theaters next month.

The 43-year-old three-time Oscar nominee has two older children that he adopted during his marriage to actress Nicole Kidman -- 13-year-old Isabella and 11-year-old Connor.

No further details were revealed about the circumstances of the baby's arrival, such as the family's whereabouts or whether the couple adhered to the Church of Scientology's practice of "silent birth" emphasizing a calm, quiet atmosphere in the delivery room.

Cruise said in a television interview last week that his bride-to-be, who was raised as a Roman Catholic, had joined him as a follower of Scientology. But he insisted that Holmes, 27, was free to take painkillers and "make as much noise" as necessary during the birth.

News of the birth followed a whirlwind Hollywood romance that ranked as one of the most high-profile celebrity courtships in recent memory, one that morphed into the tabloid sensation known as "TomKat."

The couple began dating last April. But in the minds of the public, the early days of their romance date to Cruise's manic, couch-hopping profession of love for Holmes on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in May.

Footage of the twice-divorced Cruise jumping on Winfrey's guest sofa, dropping to one knee to pump his fist and ushering Holmes on stage to declare, "I love this woman!" was replayed repeatedly on television. Bootleg copies sold on eBay for $20.

The "Oprah" appearance triggered suspicions of a publicity stunt to promote the couple's new films -- his "War of the Worlds," and her "Batman Begins." It also made Cruise the butt of countless jokes.

One Web site began hawking "Free Katie" T-shirts, stickers and coffee mugs.

Weeks later, the two announced their engagement at a Paris news conference, saying Cruise had popped the question at the Eiffel Tower. But they have not set a wedding date.

bartleby
04-18-2006, 04:48 PM
How soon before someone starts a countdown clock until her 18th birthday?

glk
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Ironically, born the same day as Brook Shields's baby.

Marcdachamp
04-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Suri? God, there really oughtta be a law that these people (celebrities) shouldn't be able to pro-create. There's gonna be an entire generation of fucked up children of the stars.

On the plus side, the field of psychology should be well off for some time.

Zack
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Mother and daughter, who weighed in at 7 pounds, 7 ounces (3.4 kg) and measured 20 inches at birth, were both "doing well," Cruise's publicist, Paul Bloch, said in a statement.

combined??????

.....;-)

Queen of the Ban Age
04-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I thought they broke up. :?

AAlgar
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Coincidentally. Not ironically.

glk
04-18-2006, 04:54 PM

Why? They had that spat. Pretty ironic to me.

bartleby
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM

Irony would be being born in a glass of Chardonay.

Evan the Shaggy
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Did he eat the placenta?

Zack
04-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Did he eat the placenta?

was it even an option for him NOT to do that?

Jonny Z
04-18-2006, 05:31 PM
was it even an option for him NOT to do that?

ill be very dissapointed if there are no press photos released of him munching away... :(

Brian Defferding
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
They're using film of the birth as stock footage for The Omen remake.

TIP
04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
And Suri is Thetan for?

T

Mr. E!
04-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I've already seen one reference to the spawn as "The Tomkitten".
Someone needs to die.

Lyfeforce
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, congrats to them I guess. Crazy or not.

Deej
04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Eat up Tommy Boy! I hope you get some explosive diarrhea!!

Jonny Z
04-18-2006, 06:07 PM
And Suri is Thetan for?

T

Suri is thetan for "Mission Impossible 3: coming to theaters May 5th"

TIP
04-18-2006, 06:09 PM

BWAH-HA-HA-:lol: !!!

T

Amos Moses
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM

That would be hilarious is they planned it out that way.

"Okay, I got a movie coming out in about 11 months, what do we do to get some PR for it?"

"11 months, huh? You could get Katie knocked up"

"Who?"

"That teenager you have brainwashed and locked up in your basement."

"Oh right. I don't have to.. y'know... stick it in her, right?"

"No Tom, we can do it in a hospital."

"Great! I'm gonna go hang out with Travolta, see you later."

TIP
04-18-2006, 06:15 PM

"Okay, I got a movie coming out in about 11 months, what do we do to get some PR for it?"

"Who?"

BWAH-HA-HA-:lol: !!!

Fucking Brilliant.

T

Captain Sensation
04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Did he eat the placenta?

that was a joke from what i understood.

If you ever decide to do stand-up, let me know asap.

AAlgar
04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
While I am quite amused by much of this thread, you all realize it's just going to result in the Bendis Board being pulled from the internet.

YouStayClassy
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM

:rofl:

Oh, life is too funny sometimes.

But seriously, congrats to them. That is a pretty cool name.

PeterSparker
04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Did everyone save their witty banter to cut and paste in the thread Bendis is gonna post in a few hours with this story?

And may Xenu bless them all

Criden
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Congrats! Now in theaters: MI-III!!!!

bartleby
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM

If you ever decide to do stand-up, let me know asap.

My material would need some refining. Try saying "be being born" outloud -- it doesn't exactly deliver well.

-Chris-
04-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Not even a day old and already I feel sorry for this kid.

:-?

anthony the ghost
04-18-2006, 06:48 PM
cool, i bet holmes is glad to take off the pregnant suit.

Greenville 90210
04-18-2006, 06:50 PM

You're wise.

bartleby
04-18-2006, 06:55 PM
www.defamer.com's take on the situation...

Silent Blockbuster: Tom Cruise's Miracle Baby Finally Arrives

It's happened.

Somewhere deep within Tom Cruise's compound, one of the hundreds of bio-vessels gathered in the estate's silent birthing stadium has finally pushed forth into the world an offspring bearing enough of a physical resemblance to the actor (think the classic monkeys-and-typewriters scenario, but with stainless-steel turkey basters and female Scientologists in their prime reproduction years) not to arouse too much suspicion about the infant's true parentage.

In other words: The Miracle Baby has finally arrived, a 7 lb. 7 oz. girl named Suri, which we assume was the name of some futuristic seafaring vessel from an obscure L. Ron Hubbard novel.

According to a press release, "both mother and daughter are doing well." We assume they're referring to Katie Holmes, not the actual biological parent who's tending the child while Holmes tries to chew through her wrist restraints and escape during the bedlam following the birth announcement.

Angel of Distraction
04-18-2006, 07:07 PM

"Who?"

If that were true it would make me respect him more.

Marcdachamp
04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
www.defamer.com's take on the situation...

Silent Blockbuster: Tom Cruise's Miracle Baby Finally Arrives

It's happened.

Somewhere deep within Tom Cruise's compound, one of the hundreds of bio-vessels gathered in the estate's silent birthing stadium has finally pushed forth into the world an offspring bearing enough of a physical resemblance to the actor (think the classic monkeys-and-typewriters scenario, but with stainless-steel turkey basters and female Scientologists in their prime reproduction years) not to arouse too much suspicion about the infant's true parentage.

In other words: The Miracle Baby has finally arrived, a 7 lb. 7 oz. girl named Suri, which we assume was the name of some futuristic seafaring vessel from an obscure L. Ron Hubbard novel.

According to a press release, "both mother and daughter are doing well." We assume they're referring to Katie Holmes, not the actual biological parent who's tending the child while Holmes tries to chew through her wrist restraints and escape during the bedlam following the birth announcement.
:lol:

Oh man, this thread pretty much writes it's own jokes. Love it.

Heaney
04-18-2006, 10:58 PM
suri huh.... that sucks.

thats almost as bad as how tom cruise died at the end of collateral.

Movie Maker
04-18-2006, 11:19 PM
will the baby be born with herpes?

Bill?
04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
the first thing I thought when I heard this news was "right now Tom Cruise could be munching on placenta with Katie Holmes."
then I had to go shower for a hour.
:cry:

Tom Burgos
04-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Congrats to Tom and Katie.
I wish them the best.
(I may be in the minority, but I really think they make a nice couple...and Tom never really bothered me...he is a good actor, and a hard-working superstar that has actually earned his huge Hollywood clout.)

I can't wait to see MI:3

NickT
04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Suri? God, there really oughtta be a law that these people (celebrities) shouldn't be able to pro-create. There's gonna be an entire generation of fucked up children of the stars.

That's better than most, at least :)

bartleby
04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
will the baby be born with herpes?

I blame FAMILY GUY for rotting your brain to the point where you thought that could pass as a joke.