PDA

View Full Version : Brain Age for DS

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I picked this up yesterday. Seems really cool so far. It's basically a game that will heighten brain activity when you play it, according to a Japanese neuroscientist.

http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=tYVqJgro-KG6QL_mMbXFoQTkQIzgi9nU

It's only $20, so that's cool. I think they're marketing it towards older people. In fact, I was playing my DS this past weekend around my mom, who was up visiting for Easter, and she commented that she was going to get a DS just to play Brain Age. I was totally surprised, as she never ever plays games.

It's got a good version of Sudoku on it (although I am not sure how many puzzles there are)... the interface is really sweet.

And the brain training things are very cool. They're fun, and they only take a little bit of time.

Cth
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Yup, it's a fun game :)

I think it has 290 sudoku puzzles?

Jonny Z
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
ooh i might get this

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Yup, it's a fun game :)

I think it has 290 sudoku puzzles?

Yeah, it seems in the low hundreds, as I finished a few and I got some percent complete, like 4 I think.

Hmm, that kinda sucks, considering how many billions of puzzles there are possible. Although I'm sure the hard ones are super hard.

Kensington
04-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm going to buy this and a DS Lite for my dad. He's old and not the most technologically savvy, although he does okay with a TV remote. Is he going to be able to work this thing?

He's a big fan of Sudoku. Do the Sudoku puzzles offer hints in case he gets stuck?

Cth
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
There's 2 more volumes after this.

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm going to buy this and a DS Lite for my dad. He's old and not the most technologically savvy, although he does okay with a TV remote. Is he going to be able to work this thing?

He's a big fan of Sudoku. Do the Sudoku puzzles offer hints in case he gets stuck?

It has a tutorial, and you have the option of having the game tell you whether the number you put in was right or wrong.

Kensington
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
It has a tutorial, and you have the option of having the game tell you whether the number you put in was right or wrong.This thing was partially designed with geezers in mind, right?

Ah, well, it hardly matters, I'm going to have to buy the same thing for myself so that I can talk him through any difficulties in setting the thing up or operating it.

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
This thing was partially designed with geezers in mind, right?

I believe so, yeah. There is a talking head on the left side that talks you through every activity. As long as he gets how to hold the DS, and which side the stylus works on, he should be OK.

Kensington
04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I believe so, yeah. There is a talking head on the left side that talks you through every activity. As long as he gets how to hold the DS, and which side the stylus works on, he should be OK.How's the volume control. My father's hard of hearing, too. :roll: :razz:

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 12:41 PM
How's the volume control. My father's hard of hearing, too. :roll: :razz:

The music, as far as I have seen so far, is not necessary for the game. It's just bonus. There may be games later on with sound involved, but so far it's been only visual.

Brian Reed
04-18-2006, 03:21 PM
My brain age is 63.

I suspect that is due to my lack of memorization of multiplication tables.

I suspect that is due to my memorizing where the "calculator" hotkey is on my keyboard.

Adam Witt
04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I was playing the demo at my Gamestop on Easter, and it prevented me from getting any work done. This might actually provoke me to get a DS.

Itemeleven
04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
My Brain Age doesn't like me . . .

http://my.1up.com/media?id=2826241&type=lg

Heaney
04-18-2006, 04:35 PM
too bad i sold my ds....

Vonn Hennigar
04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow this game sure sounds fun , I cant wait for the do your Income Tax version and clean your bathtub game.:-?

mattbrand
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
My initial brain age was 59 yesterday, but today I scored a 35. Part of it is figuring out how the mini-games work though. Once you do, you'll score better the next time.

Joe Henderson
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow this game sure sounds fun , I cant wait for the do your Income Tax version and clean your bathtub game.:-?

You're right, using your brain can't be fun.

BigButtPanda
04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I felt like such a nerd for playing and enjoying it...but I can't help it. I almost brought my DS to work today just so I could play.

Cth
04-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Weird, I got a 30 for my brain age.

Modok Gas
04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Just got it today. I only had 2.5 hours of sleep last night so I think my first score is messed up!

mattbrand
04-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Just got it today. I only had 2.5 hours of sleep last night so I think my first score is messed up!

:D

I was tired this morning when I played, so I didn't do that well on the Training.

But don't worry...you can test every day for the Age, and it'll just mean that you will improve more.

Did you do the color word test? And does your DS take the word blue badly like mine?

Cth
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
:D

I was tired this morning when I played, so I didn't do that well on the Training.

But don't worry...you can test every day for the Age, and it'll just mean that you will improve more.

Did you do the color word test? And does your DS take the word blue badly like mine?

The demo did, I haven't tried that yet.. maybe tonight.

I'm hoping the DS Lite fixes this problem, with the mic being in the center of the DS instead of the lower right.

mattbrand
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
The demo did, I haven't tried that yet.. maybe tonight.

I'm hoping the DS Lite fixes this problem, with the mic being in the center of the DS instead of the lower right.

That might help. What would have worked much better is if they recorded your voice first for voice recognition, like they do in Nintendogs.

I have to say bluuuuuue to get it to read the word blue, and it probably slows down my results a bit.

Cth
04-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I tried lots of pronounciations, lengths, etc..

Sounded like an idiot I'm sure, hence skipping it :D

mattbrand
04-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I tried lots of pronounciations, lengths, etc..

Sounded like an idiot I'm sure, hence skipping it :D

:lol: Yeah, you have to do it where no one can hear you.

Cth
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I forgot to mention that I got a 20 the other day :)

Now I'm back up to 25.

I'm actually getting better at memorizing the words.. and I can see an improvement somewhat.

That Head Count game though? Ouch.

Modok Gas
04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Yay! I went from 74 to 20 :)

eroz
04-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I hate trying to write an 8. It usually gets marked as a 2 or 6. Arghhh!!

NickBurgess
04-24-2006, 07:18 PM
I got this the other day. My brain is 20!