PDA

View Full Version : So I'm just about done watching the fourth season of The Sopranos...

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-18-2006, 11:07 AM
on Dvd for the first time.

I've really enjoyed and was wondering why so many people blast that season so much.

Yeah, it's much quieter and it's much more about the family drama, but what's so bad about that?

Colin Boylan
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I loved season 4, it was good. Season 3 seemed like the weak one to me.

AAlgar
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Isn't that the one with

Melfi's rape

and

Ralphie killing the pregnant stripper?

It just seemed like they were going out of their way to make these slightly sympathetic characters as repulsive as possible. It's a fine line, but I think they waaaay overcorrected to the more grotesque side in seasons 3 and 4.

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Isn't that the one with

Melfi's rape

and

Ralphie killing the pregnant stripper?

It just seemed like they were going out of their way to make these slightly sympathetic characters as repulsive as possible. It's a fine line, but I think they waaaay overcorrected to the more grotesque side in seasons 3 and 4.

That's season 3 and they are bad bad bad people. These are great characters, but that doesn't make them good people.

Jim T.
04-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I liked Season 4 a lot - Joey Pants stole every goddamn scene he was in (even his last!). I still need to watch Season 5 - it's so damn hard avoiding spoilers on this show.

AAlgar
04-18-2006, 11:17 AM
That's season 3 and they are bad bad bad people. These are great characters, but that doesn't make them good people.

I think one of the show's strengths has always been that they're not just bad people per se. They do horrible things, but they're complex characters with a lot of good in them too. I just think they got worried that people were liking them a little too much and ramped up the "evil" stuff for awhile there just to remind us.

That said, if the stuff I mentioned happened in season 3, then I don't remember what happened in 4. :lol:

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-18-2006, 11:18 AM
I liked Season 4 a lot - Joey Pants stole every goddamn scene he was in (even his last!). I still need to watch Season 5 - it's so damn hard avoiding spoilers on this show.

I'll be starting Season 5 any day now. An acquentence of mine has been taping season 6 for a friend of mine, so I'll be watching the first batch of those any time now too. This really is a fantastic show.

Blake Sims
04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
one day when I come upon a large amount of money I will buy every season of the Sopranos...one day...

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
I think one of the show's strengths has always been that they're not just bad people per se. They do horrible things, but they're complex characters with a lot of good in them too. I just think they got worried that people were liking them a little too much and ramped up the "evil" stuff for awhile there just to remind us.

That said, if the stuff I mentioned happened in season 3, then I don't remember what happened in 4. :lol:

I like that they did that with the characters. Far too often I hear people feel bad when something bad happens to a character on shows like The Sopranos and The Shield. They're bad people!

(akaRyanHoffman)
04-18-2006, 11:36 AM
one day when I come upon a large amount of money I will buy every season of the Sopranos...one day...

Man, I totally lucked out with seasons 2-5. I got season 2 and 3 used for $15 each, season 4 used for about $35 and season 5 used for about $30. Season One I paid waaaaaaaaaay too much for.

Andrew j
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Season four was my favorite.

Bald Steve
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I like that they did that with the characters. Far too often I hear people feel bad when something bad happens to a character on shows like The Sopranos and The Shield. They're bad people!

True, but Lem was a good guy on The Shield and what happened to him had me reeling for about a week. Shane, on the other hand, deserves everything he gets. Actually, so does Vic, really, but I can't help it: I wanna see him get away with everything. Maybe it's a bald thing.

stevapalooza
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
A little too slow and sopa operaish for me, but by no means unwatchable. There are a few great episodes sprinkled in there. It's only considered bad compared to great seasons like 1 & 2.

Personally I think it took a while for the show to recover after the death of Tony's mother. The actress's death took the writers completely by surprise and they had to scrap an entire season and start over from scratch on short notice (I'd love to know what their original plans were). I think that's what tainted seasons 3 and 4 and made them the weakest seasons.

Garth
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Season 4 is a bit slower of a season. It really focuses on Tony and Carm. Since many viewers enjoy the mafioso aspect of the show, the violence wasn't quite where some wanted it to be. To me, it is the worst season. That is all relative, however, cause the worst Sopranos episode is still better than the best episode of everything else in my opinion. I like to think of the 4th season as the calm before the storm. Because in season 5, it all hits the fan. And so far, this trend has been continued and amped up in season 6.