PDA

View Full Version : Is Fell a success?

Liquid
04-17-2006, 07:16 PM
It must be selling well if it's going back to print on every issue multiple times. But how well is it selling? Is it doing good enough that it's profitable for the creators to do it for a long time? I sure hope so 'cause this book is bananas!

John Drake
04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I think it is. It's on its fourth printing, right?

innocentboy
04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
???
dont know. but loving the issues that i've got and looking forward to more.
the red dotted line on the map in #2 was what did it for me

gwyllgi
04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I fucking love this book.
<3 <3

dimeshop
04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I think with every issue selling out, #1 on it's 4th printing and 5 eisner noms, it should be pretty safe. I hope they keep it up; the book is great.

Jim.
04-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Each printing is only 40 copies so. Success is in the eye of the beholders. Or something.

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think I've seen any of the issue break the top 100 list, but I don't think a book like this has to in order to be deemed "successful" enough to not get cancelled. I imagine that if by "successful" you mean this is going to keep coming out for a while, then yea, it is.

I just don't see how people can pass this up for only $2. What the hell else are they buying?

Shwicaz
04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Each printing is only 40 copies so. Success is in the eye of the beholders. Or something.

:no:

please, we reordered that much of Fell the last time we ordered.

Joel
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
i dig the hell out of it!

CraigM
04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't think I've seen any of the issue break the top 100 list, but I don't think a book like this has to in order to be deemed "successful" enough to not get cancelled. I imagine that if by "successful" you mean this is going to keep coming out for a while, then yea, it is.

I just don't see how people can pass this up for only $2. What the hell else are they buying?
I believe the first issue had pre-orders around 20K if I remember correctly. Comicon.com used to do sales analysis and really show the numbers over the printings, but I haven't seen them do it in a while. You could however go through the monthly 300 and see where it ranks each month, get the numbers, etc. to see how many it's sold.

Craig

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I believe the first issue had pre-orders around 20K if I remember correctly. Comicon.com used to do sales analysis and really show the numbers over the printings, but I haven't seen them do it in a while. You could however go through the monthly 300 and see where it ranks each month, get the numbers, etc. to see how many it's sold.

Craig

Yea, I was just about to do that after making that post. If anything to see if my memory is still working properly given all the damage I've done to my brain :)

Andy Kuhn
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
my impression is that the book is very successful. i think that the first issue sold between 25,000 and 30,000 copies which is higher sales than about 95% of image books. the question is what is the profit margin on a 24 page pamphlet that sells for $2.00. diamond pays less than $1.00 apiece per issue. how much does it cost to print? i am very curious about this phenomenon. matt fraction is doing a new book in the same format (16 pages of content/ done in one stories) called CASANOVA due out in june. i hope he does well but i doubt he'll get the sales that ellis gets. the book does look great though, what i've seen of it.

SteveFlack
04-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Now, is it a success because of the price or the talent? There was a minor uproar in the dealer community over this book, since they feel that with Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith, the book would sell just as well at the industry standard $2.99 price, and therefore, they are just throwing away a whole dollar of profit.

-Steve!

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Now, is it a success because of the price or the talent? There was a minor uproar in the dealer community over this book, since they feel that with Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith, the book would sell just as well at the industry standard $2.99 price, and therefore, they are just throwing away a whole dollar of profit.

-Steve!

Yea, but that's not the point of the book. The point is for it to tell complete stories like it does, in the space that it does, for the price that it does. Plus I think it's kinda a person crusade for Ellis since he gets so much crap for supposed "decompression" in his books.

mike black
04-17-2006, 10:57 PM

-Steve!

Fuck retaillers. ;)

If they could sell more than 70,000 copies of a book other than Spider-Man, I'd worry a bit more about their concerns. :)

chris page
04-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Yea, but that's not the point of the book. The point is for it to tell complete stories like it does, in the space that it does, for the price that it does. Plus I think it's kinda a person crusade for Ellis since he gets so much crap for supposed "decompression" in his books.

is ellis another of those folks tagged with the decompression stigma? i know bendis is, but ellis never seemed to me like a decompression type.

innocentboy
04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
last post of the night.

innocentboy Fell asleep
*ba-dump ching*

mike black
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
is ellis another of those folks tagged with the decompression stigma? i know bendis is, but ellis never seemed to me like a decompression type.

Well Ellis claims he started it. Or atleast the idea of "writing comics like a movie." Hes definately one of the first names to do it in the mainstream. I just think it's more of Ellis looking at all the people bitching about comics pricing and trying something new to see how it works. After all, change is good, right?

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Well Ellis claims he started it. Or atleast the idea of "writing comics like a movie." Hes definately one of the first names to do it in the mainstream. I just think it's more of Ellis looking at all the people bitching about comics pricing and trying something new to see how it works. After all, change is good, right?

Yea, you're right. The thing is though alot of people don't really understand the true meaning of the term and just throw it around alot. Decompression is where you take more issues to tell a story than really seems needed. I've rarely seen an Ellis arc that felt like it took to long to get to the end. Maybe the second of his Ultimate FF stories.

Plus another thing is that some people throw the term around when they see alot of pages of art with little words. I've never thought much of that whenever Ellis uses his Widescreen approach. There's so much more that six of those kinds of panels on a page can tell than words at the right time.

mike black
04-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Yea, you're right. The thing is though alot of people don't really understand the true meaning of the term and just throw it around alot. Decompression is where you take more issues to tell a story than really seems needed. I've rarely seen an Ellis arc that felt like it took to long to get to the end. Maybe the second of his Ultimate FF stories.

Plus another thing is that some people throw the term around when they see alot of pages of art with little words. I've never thought much of that whenever Ellis uses his Widescreen approach. There's so much more that six of those kinds of panels on a page can tell than words at the right time.

No one ever said comics nerds were smarter than anyone else. ;)

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 11:26 PM
No one ever said comics nerds were smarter than anyone else. ;)

I'm not a nerd... *sniff* :sad:

mike black
04-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm not a nerd... *sniff* :sad:

Well, you buy Fell, don't you?

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Well, you buy Fell, don't you?

Yea, but my momma told me I wasn't a nerd and that one day I'd find a girl who loved me for me, and not what I look like on the outside.... *sniff*

..... mom was a lying whore though. Had more sailors in her than a goddamned aircraft carrier........

........... :surrend:

mike black
04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Yea, but my momma told me I wasn't a nerd and that one day I'd find a girl who loved me for me, and not what I look like on the outside.... *sniff*

..... mom was a lying whore though. Had more sailors in her than a goddamned aircraft carrier........

........... :surrend:

Your mom is a whore. I tag-teamed her with the Baraneks.

Humphrey_Lee
04-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Your mom is a whore. I tag-teamed her with the Baraneks.

Pfft... Are you trying to shock me? That statement up there is like telling me the sky is blue.

SethInAz
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I didn't see it in my recent DCBS pull list order.

mike black
04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Pfft... Are you trying to shock me? That statement up there is like telling me the sky is blue.

Not trying to shock you at all. I was just letting you know what we were doing while you were watching American Idol.

Humphrey_Lee
04-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Not trying to shock you at all. I was just letting you know what we were doing while you were watching American Idol.

See, now why do you have to spread these kinds of vicious lies!?

American Idol? I'd rather felate a goat... :no:

mike black
04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
See, now why do you have to spread these kinds of vicious lies!?

American Idol? I'd rather felate a goat... :no:

Where you on drugs? You were fellating a goat...

joeAR
04-18-2006, 01:53 AM
It's successfull for that type of book. I personally love it and hope it never ends.

SLAvery
04-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Decompression is where you take more issues to tell a story than really seems needed.

Decompression is a storytelling technique. It's breaking a single-panel moment up across a series of panels, usually to relay some sort of visual information to the reader, or to adopt a cinematic style. You can have decompressed single-issue stories. Look at Planetary, or Bendis's Ultimate X-Men issue with Wolverine and the kid.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
04-18-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm sure Warren'll drop by to fill us in any second now...

RøcketFrøg
04-18-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm sure Warren'll drop by to fill us in any second now...
Next week maybe. He's on holiday now.