PDA

View Full Version : h of m q n a

pmcerebus
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
My bud lent me house of M, which i enjoyed, but had questions. this is an email exchange between us. Anyone want to weigh in? (Does Bendis check these boards?)

On Apr 13, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Pat Carroll wrote:

Wowweewow wow wow

Well, it was a quick read, but I can't say I was disappointed. Completely satisfied with the ending? no. But I thought it was an interesting little jaunt through an alternate universe. Equal in some ways to Age of Apocalypse. In some ways more interesting, because it was more tied into current events around the Marvel Universe. Maybe diluted somewhat because it's been done before. Also, I think there could have been more artistic high points. The House of M helicarrier with Wolvie was defintely cool.

1. Why wasn't Spider Woman present at the beginning, when the Avengers and X-Men first met? You could argue it was more of an Old Avengers issue, but then Spider-Man and Luke Cage were both there. and Sentinel.

2. Why is Luke Cage wearing a bag with a dot on his head?

3. Why are Scott and Emma married? If Scott gets what he wants, shouldn't Jean be alive? and with him?

4. Where is Xavier!?! And, connectedly, where does House of M fit with the Astonishing X-Men continuity? After the Danger Room storyline?

5. So, Magneto lost his powers. Again. Or am I getting this mixed up with James? Or whatever he was calling himself post Xavier's mindwipe. Or was that post-Onslaught? We need a timeline! I almost feel sorry for the guy, he's been through so much, just so Marvel can keep bringing him back. Again and again.

6. Poor Petey. That's was brutal what he had to go through! He needs a good, long coma to recover, because that's just not right.

7. So Wanda says "No more mutants!" but she doesn't really mean it, or what? Some people are still mutants, some aren't. No more Iceman?!? I can see why Marvel wanted to tone down the number of mutants, globally. If they didn't then it was going to start seeming like everybody is a mutant, and then the X-titles almost need to be in a different universe than the other superheroes, because they get further away from the realistic world that Stan initially tried to create. But didn't they already do that with the Genosha massacre? Ok, so at least this was less brutal than that.

8. How do they (Bendis, or whoever) decide, ok Scarlett Witch's powers are going to go crazy and become limitless? I mean, what's to stop Storm's powers from going ballistic and engulfing the entire planet with floods and hurricanes? I mean, how does one person tap into limitless power, while the rest stay "normal?"

9. Which brings me to my next question: Was the ending a setup for another Phoenix return?

On Apr 13, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Chris Connolly wrote:

2) I think it’s a poorly drawn hat
1) technical error… go for your no-prize
3) like Gwen Stacey for Pete….. I guess Emma has something
4) house #1 follows #12 AXM I thinks
5) brother hood of evil energizer bunnies … keep going and going
6) You are right, but waking up to MJ … ah theres worse
7 thin the heard, grow the heard… mutants are weed-like
8) Bendis in his own mind is limitless… um not sure besides that
9) There is a plan to bring back Jean, when and where? Not sure.

Ps is all your back yard gear step2?

Ryan Elliott
04-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I didn't read all of it, but most. But I think I can answer 7 for you.

7. Since Stephen Strange was there, he had a protective bubble of mystic energies around all the heroes that were there. Which had almost all the core X-Men.

At least that's what I think.

Matt Jay
04-13-2006, 01:08 PM

7. Since Stephen Strange was there, he had a protective bubble of mystic energies around all the heroes that were there. Which had almost all the core X-Men.

I figured that Wanda wanted to keep around "good mutants". Particularly ones she knew personally.

TonyFleecs
04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Throw these in the Q&A Podcast thread, Bendis is on the boards daily but your best shot at getting answers straight from him is on the podcast.

And welcome to the board.

Ben
04-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Yeah, he and Emma did their best to stop her spell or whatever from working, but Wanda's much more powerful than them (even though Strange is Sorcerer Supreme?). It kind of makes sense that heroes we know about would be more likely to be saved, since those are probably the people Strange and Frost were concentrating on more.

TIP
04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
pmcerebus, eh?

T
:smile:

Ryan Elliott
04-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I figured that Wanda wanted to keep around "good mutants". Particularly ones she knew personally.

Yeah, but not all the mutants around the world were evil.

Corey A.
04-13-2006, 01:13 PM
pmcerebus, eh?

T
:smile:

that's what i was thinking. :grope:

welcome to the board

:taint punch:

Big Sir
04-13-2006, 01:15 PM
There are 198 mutants in the Marvel Universe...according to the X-Men titles. Some good, some bad, some never met Scarlet Witch.

I think, even with Wanda's magic, where going with the assumption that you're not going to be 100% effective, so like...1% of all mutants remained, and they happen to be some of the most powerful mutants, so it could be argued that the more powerful mutants were immune to Wanda's magic...

But that doesn't hold since Polaris lost her powers...but then she didn't have anything but green hair at first, and her magnetic powers got activated later, so maybe since she was a latent mutant, she got hit as well. Just some thoughts.

Matt Jay
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but not all the mutants around the world were evil.
I mean "superhero mutants". She wanted to do away with mutants generally to spite her father, but not all of them because she knew that would open the door to other threats due to the weakened super-hero population. I like to think keeping super-hero mutants around was her general intent, but she wasn't too incredibly picky about it, which is why some villain mutants kept theirs.

As far as how she got that degree of power, I like to think that she used her power to make Xavier unlock her hidden potential. Removing mental barriers and whatnot, like what Doom did to Molecule Man back in Secret Wars.

Ryan Elliott
04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I mean "superhero mutants". She wanted to do away with mutants generally to spite her father, but not all of them because she knew that would open the door to other threats due to the weakened super-hero population. I like to think keeping super-hero mutants around was her general intent, but she wasn't too incredibly picky about it, which is why some villain mutants kept theirs.

As far as how she got that degree of power, I like to think that she used her power to make Xavier unlock her hidden potential. Removing mental barriers and whatnot, like what Doom did to Molecule Man back in Secret Wars.

Ahh. Now I see what you're saying. Yeah, I could see that.