PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite of the Kabuki volumes?

MACK!
12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Volumes 1-7 (Alchemy being #7 even though it is still in progress.
1-Circle of Blood
2-Dreams
3- Masks of the Noh
4- Skin Deep
5-Metamorphosis
6-Scarab
7-Alchemy

And for that matter any of the other books I've worked on as well.
I'm very curious to learn which of the stories had the biggest effect on you and why. What worked for you from one volume more than another and why. As far as writing, art, style, approach, characters etc.

Perhaps not everyone has read all the Kabuki stuff or related more to other work, so Feel welcome to also include the 3 DD collections:
DD: Parts of a Hole
DD: Wake Up
Echo: Vision Quest

Those would be the 10 completed story volumes that I've put the most work into over the last 10 years. And it occured to me i'd like to hear which ones worked for readers most and why.

DeadMike
12-23-2005, 04:11 AM
Got to run to work so I'll come back later and leave a more detailed answer but here's a list of my favs starting with my most favorite....

1. Circle of Blood
2. Metamorphosis
3. Scarab
4. Parts of a Hole
5. Skin Deep
6. Vision Quest
7. Wake Up
8. Masks of the Noh
9. Dreams

I can't put Alchemy in there yet til it's finished but if I had to I'd but it at 2 and a 1/2 or maybe # 2.

T-Dro
12-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Well, David, you know I love them all. ;)

But Meta is my favorite. I think it has the 2nd best story (1st is COB) and was the point where your art really reached its full potential. It's the book I show non-comic fans to show them that a comic book can be more than their preconceived notion of the art form.

Circle of Blood is the book I show to fans of traditional comics...it's the most conventional, and if they like it, they can read the following volumes, which eases them into your current style. And of course that's the first Kabuki book I read, upon which reading I fell madly in love with Ukiko (in a strictly hetero way, of course.)

dimeshop
12-23-2005, 05:33 AM
The three DD stories are all very different (and all very good). I'd give the edge to parts of a hole. It just a real kitchen sink-type book.

As far as Kabuki, I bought the first trade from you in Toronto this year. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. I resolve to read it in the new year. Should be exciting!

GelfXIII
12-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I think Dreams is what I first fell in love with. I had read CoB and liked the story, but I'm not a huge fan of B&W art. But Dreams was such an eye opening experience, both in story and in art that it quite literally took my breath away. It's hard to top that kind of impact I think.

After Dreams I think I probably favor Metamorphosis and Vision Quest the most.

BlueNote27
12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I have to say that Vision Quest is still my favorite Mack work because it was my first real Mack experience and it was the first time that I went "Wow, comics can be more than just kid stories."

Amazing.

Gillis
12-25-2005, 08:16 PM
I absolutely love all of the Kabuki books and pinpointing a favorite is a very hard thing to do. I really liked Circle of Blood a lot, though Metamorphosis was an extremely interesting read, given it's depth, multiple styles of storytelling, and amazing art.

To my surprise, I think I may have enjoyed Scarab the most. It was more of a conventional type book and I think I was half expecting a plain old fashioned supporting mini series. I came to really like the character, which made the twist ending all the more powerful.

MACK!
01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
The three DD stories are all very different (and all very good). I'd give the edge to parts of a hole. It just a real kitchen sink-type book.

As far as Kabuki, I bought the first trade from you in Toronto this year. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. I resolve to read it in the new year. Should be exciting!

Let us know what you think of it when you get the chance.

Thanks for all the feedback on this so far.
Since I write it, I can't really have the same experience you have when reading it, so I'm always fascinated to learn what resonates with people when they read the books.

WayOfTheStrega
01-08-2006, 06:40 AM
I personally like the Metamorphosis story. Meta was the first book that I really even read that was done by Mack and itís that story that instantly drew me into Kabuki. The art and the depth of the work were so expressive and unique that I knew I had ran across something special.

It was also through Meta (and eventually the other Kabuki volumes) that I realized that comics werenít just about superheroes and Dennis the Menace, but that comics were about self-expression and the media that could be used was limited only by the imagination.

Shepherd
01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Now that I've read them all, I definitely have to say Metamorphosis. It's the most involving and the most surprising. It has just the right bend of action and pontification.

But I also really like both DD Echo stories.

R

who cares?
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
i have to say in terms of story and story-telling techniques and visual style, they are all mind-blowingly good....

however, i found Metamorphosis and The Alchemy (maybe even a bit more than Metamorphosis) the most inspirational.....

AvidFan
01-11-2006, 07:48 AM
The Alchemy is re-writting comicbooks as a genre and medium for me

desperately want to get hold of Meta tho, but the only copy I've come across in the shops has a badly damaged dust jacket, and this time I'm letting my ego say "nope I want it pristine"

one has standards dont cha know

really enjoyed CoB and Skin Deep - especially the comedy in the latter

Echo is still the muts nuts as well

AF.

AvidFan
01-11-2006, 07:50 AM
and Wake Up had my eyes almost leaking, not much mind you, but there was a certain pleasure in it...

in a macho kind of way! :)

AF

MACK!
04-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Vol 1: Circle of Blood
Vol 2: Dreams
Vol 3: Masks of the Noh
Vol 4: Skin Deep
Vol 5: Metamorphosis
Vol 6: Scarab
Vol 7: The Alchemy

Which have you read?
Which do you relate to most and has the most impact for you?
Why?

This is for my Science project.

Lazy_Metaphors
04-07-2006, 06:55 AM
I've read them all. I think Metamorphosis takes it, but I'm not making final call on The Alchemy until it's finished.

Taki Soma
04-07-2006, 06:59 AM
I think I'm only on Skindeep, but so far, Vol 1 speaks to me the most.

GelfXIII
04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, I've read them all, and I think my top 3 are:

1. Dreams
2. COB
3. Metamorphosis

I definatey prefer the ones which you drew, as opposed to the NOH books with the guest artists. (Not that I dislike those, I just prefer the Mack touch)

Dreams I like over COB mostly because I prefer the color art to the B&W, and the story is much more compact. COB I still love for it's wealth of characters and outright adventure, but really Dreams is such a continuation of COB that storywise they real mesh into each other quite well.

Metamorphosis is to me the ultimate sea-change in the story where it escalates from narrative story to philosophical/psychological examination of the human condition... which still blows my mind to this day.

If I'm sitting down to re-read something for fun, I'm most likely to pick up COB. If I want something just flat out gorgeous I'll pick up dreams, if I'm looking for something to spark my brain I'll pick up Meta... but I have to add that when Alchemy is done it stands a good chance of replacing Meta in that regard. :D

DeadMike
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Wow this is a tough call. I've read them all multiple times.

COB and Metamorphosis are my top two favorites but their so different. COB holds a special place because it was my first introduction to Kabuki. It was a great origin story and played out like a great action movie.

Metamorphosis just took all that to another level. It showed me that comics could be so much more.

Alchemy is shaping up to be a great arc too. But I too will have to reserve judgement til the series concludes.

I guess if I was forced at gunpoint to rank them I would choose.

Circle of Blood (by a hair, it's really a photo finish)
Metamorphosis
Scarab
Skin Deep
Masks Of The Noh
Dreams

I hope the Kabuki film focuses on COB with the sequel being Skin Deep/Meta.
There's just so much great stuff in COB with Kai and his crew and The General and Dove and the rest of the Noh to gloss over it and rush into Meta.

redsplitwig
04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Are these in print? Where is the best place to buy them?

MACK!
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Are these in print? Where is the best place to buy them?

All of them are in print. You can get them in hardcover and paperback.

The hardcover of volume 1 is out right now, but all the other volumes are fully in stock in hardcover and paperback.

You can get them at any bookstore or comic book store. If you don't see them there, just ask the store to order them from the distributor.

And davidmackguide.com lists online stores that offer them.
Often at a discount, and some with no charge for shipping.

All of that should work.
And you can also order any of these or any back issue or other Kabuki thing from davidmack.com.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Vol 5: Metamorphosis
so far

AvidFan
04-08-2006, 01:16 PM
issue #6 of Kabuki: The Alchemy along with #5 make this run of Kabuki the outstanding volume, of all the volumes I've read... of any comics I've read!

andy

Lazy_Metaphors
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
I'd like to add a corollary to my answer.

Personally, I view "Skin Deep" and "Metamorphosis" as one cohesive chapter. Sure, they work on their own, but they're two halves of a whole, and I really view them as such when I read. I don't like to separate them. Similarly, I consider "Dreams" as a coda to "Circle of Blood," and I tend to link them in my mind when reading. So that skews my answers all around.

Eric Williams
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Its EXTREMELY close.
So far, I've read CoB, Dreams, Metamorphosis, Scarab, and Alchemy (so far, anyways).
I think Metamorphosis has had the strongest impact of the ones I've read. The painting, storytelling, and design are really rich, and they make it really special to read in one sitting. I also love the subtle connections with other volumes (like Emi from Scarab being one of the captives in Control Corps), and the woman acting as Akemi just rocks.

Although, I've found that The Alchemy has really changed my life so far. I feel like I can really connect with all the messages being given throughout the series. I also love the collage-y feel of it (old Kabuki art meshed with new art and innovative layouts). And as I said earlier, the connections (MC Square, Tigerlilly, Akemi Network) really enhance the read for long-time followers.

My top 3 would have to be.
1. Metamorphosis/Alchemy (Its really a tie)
2. Scarab
3. Circle of Blood

dimeshop
04-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I've read the first 4 volumes in the past 2 months and they're all really good. They're also all really different, with different strengths and story telling styles.

I really like them all, but I think Dreams has the edge.

MACK!
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Its EXTREMELY close.
So far, I've read CoB, Dreams, Metamorphosis, Scarab, and Alchemy (so far, anyways).
I think Metamorphosis has had the strongest impact of the ones I've read. The painting, storytelling, and design are really rich, and they make it really special to read in one sitting. I also love the subtle connections with other volumes (like Emi from Scarab being one of the captives in Control Corps), and the woman acting as Akemi just rocks.

Although, I've found that The Alchemy has really changed my life so far. I feel like I can really connect with all the messages being given throughout the series. I also love the collage-y feel of it (old Kabuki art meshed with new art and innovative layouts). And as I said earlier, the connections (MC Square, Tigerlilly, Akemi Network) really enhance the read for long-time followers.

My top 3 would have to be.
1. Metamorphosis/Alchemy (Its really a tie)
2. Scarab
3. Circle of Blood

Glad to hear you are liking ALchemy and Meta and cool to see the art signature and quote you have there!

Since you like Metamorphosis so much, I recomend that you read Skin Deep next. It actually comes right before Meta and introduces Akemi, Kageko, and the inmates in Control Corps.

It was really meant to be the beginning of Metamorphosis. It is part of the same big story, but I had to switch publishers in the middle, so I did the 9 issues of Meta at Image as a new volume.

Glad to hear your feedback on it.

jactinglim
04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
My fave is Masks of the Noh. I knew from the stat that all the Noh agents are cool in their own way, so I loved how I proved myself right when I read this one :)

Eric Williams
04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Since you like Metamorphosis so much, I recomend that you read Skin Deep next. It actually comes right before Meta and introduces Akemi, Kageko, and the inmates in Control Corps.
Yeah, I might try to pick it up this weekend when I'm in Montreal. I have no idea who Kageko is other than the fact that she took up Kabuki's position.

MACK!
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I might try to pick it up this weekend when I'm in Montreal. I have no idea who Kageko is other than the fact that she took up Kabuki's position.

Well, after your read SKIN DEEP, you should re-read METAMORPHOSIS right after.
She shows up in Meta later and the interaction will have a new meaning after you see her in Skin Deep.

Same with the Akemi stuff. After you read SKIN DEEP, the META and ALCHEMY stuff will have a new texture.

Let me know what you think of it in that new context.

Persevering Guy
04-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Skin Deep. But, due to my location, I haven't been able to read Alchemy since issue 5.

Oh, and check it out, this girl who's in love with me made me a David Mack cellphone:
http://www.ciderviewproject.com/dmk.jpg

Eric Williams
04-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice! Thats very cool.

Unfortunately, none of the stores in Montreal have Skin Deep. However, I did hunt down Masks of the Noh, and its a really fascinating read.
I can now pretty much confirm that in #4, it was Tigerlilly on the plane, since in MoN, she explains to Scarab that she used to be a comic book artist. I'm guessing that after "Akemi" assumed the role of Scarab, Tigerlilly found out (since they're tight and all) and got pulled into the Akemi Network. I also imagine that Scarab's old boyfriend joined the Network too.

Lazy_Metaphors
04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice! Thats very cool.

Unfortunately, none of the stores in Montreal have Skin Deep. However, I did hunt down Masks of the Noh, and its a really fascinating read.
I can now pretty much confirm that in #4, it was Tigerlilly on the plane, since in MoN, she explains to Scarab that she used to be a comic book artist. I'm guessing that after "Akemi" assumed the role of Scarab, Tigerlilly found out (since they're tight and all) and got pulled into the Akemi Network. I also imagine that Scarab's old boyfriend joined the Network too.

I find it hard to believe that Tigerlily would be so passive, considering that Keiko was her best and only friend, and Ukiko killed her with Akemi's indirect help.

Eric Williams
04-15-2006, 04:26 AM
We don't know how "passive" she would have been in the transition process. I never said she couldn't have taken the news badly.
Also, to an extent, the fight between Kabuki and Scarab wasn't really a good guy vs. bad guy fight, they were both just trying to fulfill their "missions".

Anyways, I could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

~Hernandez~
04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Skin Deep and Metamorphosis. Not only for the storyline but because I think thats when the art came into its own.

jactinglim
04-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Yay! I just bought Skin Deep :D I'm buying Dreams after I get my next salary :D

Connie Jiang's pretty ^_^ you sure are one lucky guy to be surrounded by such beautiful people like her, Anh and Mandy :D

jason hissong
10-11-2006, 07:30 AM
how have i nevere responded to this thread?

Metamorphosis.

Someday, I WILL own an original page or two from that book.

Gavin
10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Having just finished it I would have to say Metamorphosis. Just amazing.

BriRedfern
12-08-2006, 10:03 AM
As far as story I would go with Circle of Blood. For over all experience - Metamorphosis.

Love all your work though.

Jordan K
01-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Hello all I started reading Kabuki at newsarama and I am really liking it so far. I was wondering if there are any plans for some HC collections as this is my fav way of buying comics.

thanks

MACK!
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Hello all I started reading Kabuki at newsarama and I am really liking it so far. I was wondering if there are any plans for some HC collections as this is my fav way of buying comics.

thanks

Hi Jordan,

Welcome here! I'm glad you are enjoying Kabuki at newsarama and are making the jump to the collections.

I have made Hard Cover collections of all 6 volumes of Kabuki.
They are available from Image Comics. Your store can order them thru the distributor, or you can order them signed from me, or you can check davidmackguide.com for the best online prices.

Please let me know what you think of the collections!
Each volume kind of has its own unique style to it.

My favorite collection is METAMORPHOSIS which is the story that comes right before the current ALCHEMY series.

The new issue of The Alchemy comes out next week.

MACK!
01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice! Thats very cool.

Hi Eric,

Any of the stores can order Skin Deep for you (in paperback or HC).
Just so you know :)
And you will see some more Tiger Lily :)
Did you also catch another possible Scarab related character in Alchemy #1 on the train?

Jordan K
01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the direction David, I appreciate it.

*and I have just bought Volume 1, and now for the amazon wait!

and the wait was over and all I can say is that this book lived up to the hype I have read regarding it. So much happens in every panel o fthis book. I cannot wait to get the next.

Mr. Glass
04-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I read Circle of Blood way back when it came out, but then didn't read anything until your DD work. Anyways, out of the stuff I've read this is how I would rank it. By the way Alchemy is not only top of this list, but in my top five for comics all-time, I can't wait for that last issue!

1. Alchemy
2. Metamorphosis
3. Echo: Vision Quest
4. DD: Wake up
5. DD: Parts of a hole
6. Circle of Blood

MACK!
04-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the direction David, I appreciate it.

*and I have just bought Volume 1, and now for the amazon wait!

and the wait was over and all I can say is that this book lived up to the hype I have read regarding it. So much happens in every panel o fthis book. I cannot wait to get the next.

Glad to hear it!

MACK!
04-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I read Circle of Blood way back when it came out, but then didn't read anything until your DD work. Anyways, out of the stuff I've read this is how I would rank it. By the way Alchemy is not only top of this list, but in my top five for comics all-time, I can't wait for that last issue!

1. Alchemy
2. Metamorphosis
3. Echo: Vision Quest
4. DD: Wake up
5. DD: Parts of a hole
6. Circle of Blood

Thanks for that.
I can see where you are come from with that ranking.

And really glad you are loving the current story.

lambnesiac
09-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm still reading Scarab, and I haven't read any of what follows yet, but I can't think of anything I've seen in comics that I thought was better than The Metamorphosis. The artwork is (I think) the best of the series so far, and the story is really unique and beautiful. The feeling that you're inside Kabuki's head isn't new, but it's the most exciting it's ever been because she changes so much through the course of the story. I think the point where Kabuki finally gets out into the real world, as her own person, is the most satisfying and effective moment of the series to date. It also builds really nicely on all the previous stories, and on Kabuki's characterization up until this point, and it builds up Akemi, the Noh and the inmates really well. I don't know, it feels sort of silly to try to lay it out this way, because as far as I can tell, it's flawless.

As for Daredevil, I haven't read Parts of a Hole or Vision Quest yet, but I love Wake Up a lot too.

dEnny!
03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
For me, it's METAMORPHOSIS, but Alchemy could take its place upon completion and a rereading in one sitting.

Foggy's Pal
03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
I love them all, especially Dreams. For me, it is a moving poem- beautiful art, touching story of a girl dealing with the death of her mother.

I have been sharing the books with my students, high school, and they have really been digging them. I'm caught between keeping the books in perfect condition and sharing the magic. I've been sharing the magic. It's good for the kids to see that books don't have to be boring. Keep em' coming.

dimeshop
03-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I love them all, especially Dreams. For me, it is a moving poem- beautiful art, touching story of a girl dealing with the death of her mother.

I've (since I've last posted in this thread) read everything Kabuki except the Alchemy. I thought Metamorphosis would overtake Dreams as my favorite. It came close, but I think Dreams still has the edge.

SMVidaurri
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
i love metamorphosis, and alchemy, so theyre probably tied. I still love skin deep and the earlier stories because I really get a kick out of seeing the story as it unfolds, and i appreciate each new chapter because it tells me more and more. while they are relatively contained in each graphic novel, they also work beautifully togehter. I think my favorite sequence is skin deep to metamorphosis, reading those two back to back for the first time was awesome.

as far as the daredevil stuff, i have to say wake up. the first thing i read of david macks, i remember picking up the monthly and just being blown away.

rednblack
09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm just now getting back into comics since a hiatus of about 16 years and had a friend loan me the first 7 issues of Metamorphosis and the first two of Alchemy. That said, I don't know that I've seen enough to warrant a value judgment on what I like best, but these are by far the most rewarding reading experiences I've had since getting back into this medium. Thanks for the good work, Dave

MACK!
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm just now getting back into comics since a hiatus of about 16 years and had a friend loan me the first 7 issues of Metamorphosis and the first two of Alchemy. That said, I don't know that I've seen enough to warrant a value judgment on what I like best, but these are by far the most rewarding reading experiences I've had since getting back into this medium. Thanks for the good work, Dave

Thanks, I appreciate you mentioning it.
Thanks for trying out my books.
(I hope you find #s 8 & 9 of Meta- It will bridge the issues you read quite a bit).
I'm glad you had a rewarding experience and I appreciate the response.
I'm putting the letters collumn to Reflections #11 together right now, and I'll be happy to include your comments if you like.
If so let me know what city and name you'd like.

By the way, what do the colors red & black stand for for you?

Welcome to the boards!

Kindest regards,
David

rednblack
09-13-2008, 07:11 AM
(I hope you find #s 8 & 9 of Meta- It will bridge the issues you read quite a bit).
I'm putting the letters collumn to Reflections #11 together right now, and I'll be happy to include your comments if you like.

Welcome to the boards!

Kindest regards,
David

Thanks for the warm welcome, David. Coming from a literary fiction background it's a nice change of pace. Please feel free to include my comments in your letter section, and let me know if you need something a little longer. I always try for brevity on the forums. You can quote me as Clayton Webber out of Missoula, MT. I'll keep my eye out for those issues you mentioned.

The red and black thing is, for me, a political thing.

Thanks,
c

rednblack
09-13-2008, 04:07 PM

Welcome to the boards!

Kindest regards,
David

Thanks for the warm welcome, David. Coming from a literary fiction background, this is quite a nice change of pace. You're more than welcome to include my comments, and if you need something a little longer let me know, as I try to keep things forum posts pretty short. You can quote me as Clayton Webber from Missoula, MT.

I'll keep my eye out for those issues; we've got a good comic shop up here, though I hadn't set foot in it until last week. What about some of the earlier Kabuki books? Are they as character driven as the stuff I've seen?

The colors are kind of a political thing for me -- being a dirty red and all.

Thanks,
c

JoeDragunas
10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Metamorphosis would have to be my most favorite, the artwork top notch, bt it is the complex story of escape that makes it my favorite. It is also the most quotable with some cunning ideas (Like hermaphrodite assassins and the every card is a wild card line )
My next favorite would have to be echos vision quest. Amazing art again, but it is the creation of the character and the tick of her psyche that makes it appealing. The in-depth look at a deaf character in unique and unusual, ( not the sound of words but the color and texture of them ) is one of my all time favorite panels.
All of the others are all great and equal in my mind, but thse two stood out for me above all their brothers.

Arion
10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, David. Coming from a literary fiction background, this is quite a nice change of pace. You're more than welcome to include my comments, and if you need something a little longer let me know, as I try to keep things forum posts pretty short. You can quote me as Clayton Webber from Missoula, MT.

I'll keep my eye out for those issues; we've got a good comic shop up here, though I hadn't set foot in it until last week. What about some of the earlier Kabuki books? Are they as character driven as the stuff I've seen?

The colors are kind of a political thing for me -- being a dirty red and all.

Thanks,
c

You are a lucky guy, I think I never got a proper welcome...

MACK!
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
You are a lucky guy, I think I never got a proper welcome...

Arion,

Allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the boards here! :)

I'm happy to see you here and enjoy yourself!

MACK!
10-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Metamorphosis would have to be my most favorite, the artwork top notch, bt it is the complex story of escape that makes it my favorite. It is also the most quotable with some cunning ideas (Like hermaphrodite assassins and the every card is a wild card line )
My next favorite would have to be echos vision quest. Amazing art again, but it is the creation of the character and the tick of her psyche that makes it appealing. The in-depth look at a deaf character in unique and unusual, ( not the sound of words but the color and texture of them ) is one of my all time favorite panels.
All of the others are all great and equal in my mind, but thse two stood out for me above all their brothers.

Welcome, Joe, and good to meet you in Baltimore. I really enjoyed that convention and I hope to return next year.
Really glad you like the Echo story for the reasons that you mentioned.

Dr. Pym
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I have to say "Metamorphosis". I have an adopted daughter from China and as I watch her struggles to grow into whatever she will become, far from her homeland and all she knew, well, that story just spoke to me. When she's older I hope to give it to her.

That said, it's all on my graphic novel wishlist, because I want to be able to re-read it again and again.

Of the DD stuff, Vision Quest tops my list because you created a character that will endure in Echo. And that is the single most important thing that superhero comics need - enduring characters. We can't just rely upon Lee and Kirby, Siegel and Shuster and Finger and Kane's work forever. Echo may or may not be the next Wolverine, or even Elektra, but I'm willing to bet she could be with the right treatment. The character works on so many levels, sort of like Stan Lee's best concepts always did. But in a modern way.

Treacle
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
The Alchemy.

Most of it, I didn't understand (felt a bit like a 5 year old reading Tolstoy), but the parts I got, I really got.

And they were exactly what I needed.

Arion
01-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Arion,

Allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the boards here! :)

I'm happy to see you here and enjoy yourself!

Thank you! That means a lot to me. The year is starting good so far.

c. page
01-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Metamorphosis is probably my current favorite, although it does vary. (I loved Scarab and Circle of Blood as well.)

When I'm stuck creatively in terms of page layout or something like that, I'll pop open Metamorphosis and flip through the pages. There's so much there both story and art-wise that is just incredibly well done, that I can usually walk away from it feeling inspired.

Arion
02-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Looks like most people prefer Metamorphosis.

Gavin
03-27-2009, 04:57 AM
David,
I just finished reading The Alchemy in its entirety for the first time. I was able to pick up issues 7 and 8 when they came out, but that's it. I hardly even know where to begin. This incredibly dense volume features what I consider to be your best art to date. The weaving of art, philosophy, creativity, and your past work into a whole is fascinating. While I would love to see more Kabuki in the future, I would understand if you feel like her story has been told.

After reading it I immediately wanted to write and draw, and even though I'm not particularly skilled, your work makes me want to create art, even if it's only for my own enjoyment. Something I would love to see more of would be more stories from your life. The notebook David Mack left with Kabuki to read was one of my favorite parts of the story.

At this point, I'm not sure which of the volumes of Kabuki is my favorite. Metamorphasis was my favorite, but I need to reread it and The Alchemy to make a final judgment call, but at this point I think The Alchemy takes the lead. Looking forward Electric Ant.

Gavin

Arion
03-28-2009, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean, sometimes art can be really inspiring. I have often tried to draw after reading a certain comic book, of course, I have no talent whatsoever, but one still has the need to express something.

c. page
04-23-2009, 11:04 PM
having finished alchemy, i may have to revise my original statement. i think it's a close race between metamorphosis and alchemy.

alchemy spoke more to me on so many levels, including creative ones. i could go over (and have already) that book several times and still find something new to consider.

on the other hand, i do still have a strong love for metamorphosis.

both are incredibly useful for inspiring new work.

Arion
05-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I know how sometimes it can be really hard to choose just one...

redskullrudd
08-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I still haven't read all of them...but of the 4 I've read its pretty difficult to pick....I tend to look on them like seasons, each one having its unique appeal and when you feel like revisiting it each one inspires its own reaction.
then again its messed up I've ended up reading them backwards...
Alchemy is definitely a stand out work - I think it inspires individual thought patterns and challenges the reader to look around think in terms of their own lives outside the book. thats a pretty powerful thing.
At least thats what i got from it.
Right now enjoying Scarab, because its totally not what I expected of her background, and i like that. Also feel it really benefitted from Mays art to take it a step outside Kabuki's journey. Not that Mack wouldn't have rocked it...just i think it was smart getting the second viewpoint on another characters story.

Unicornucopia
09-17-2009, 06:56 PM
1. The Alchemy
2. Metamorphosis
3. Circle of Blood
4. Skin Deep
5. Scarab
6. Dreams
7. Masks of the Noh

I love absolutely every volume.

The Alchemy is my Bible. It's an amazingly awesome book and has more words to live by than the actual Bible, in my opinion anyway.

First off, just like a lot of people it would seem, it was just the kick in the pants that I needed. That bit of inspiration and motivation to get me off my ass. Secondly, it's given me such a healthy and new perspective on what life can be and should be about.

The Alchemy is so much more than the next chapter in Kabuki's tale. It's the idea that life is creation. Every day you live is a day you're creating yourself and your reality.

I think anyone could benefit from reading The Alchemy, even if they aren't interested in art or writing in the creative sense. The lessons in the book can be applied to all of life in general.

I waited the agonizingly long time for it to come out collected because I didn't discover Kabuki until half of The Alchemy had already come out in singles. By the time I got to where I had read the other books I just decided to wait. I bought it the day it came out and the very next day I got a fortune from a cookie that read, "If you can shape it in your mind, you will find it in your life." That's one of the central themes I pulled from the book. Without having read the book first, I don't think I would've garnered much from the fortune.

That fortune is now taped on the inside cover of my copy. It gives me inspiration daily.

Arion
12-21-2009, 04:22 PM
I still haven't read all of them...but of the 4 I've read its pretty difficult to pick....I tend to look on them like seasons, each one having its unique appeal and when you feel like revisiting it each one inspires its own reaction.
then again its messed up I've ended up reading them backwards...
Alchemy is definitely a stand out work - I think it inspires individual thought patterns and challenges the reader to look around think in terms of their own lives outside the book. thats a pretty powerful thing.
At least thats what i got from it.
Right now enjoying Scarab, because its totally not what I expected of her background, and i like that. Also feel it really benefitted from Mays art to take it a step outside Kabuki's journey. Not that Mack wouldn't have rocked it...just i think it was smart getting the second viewpoint on another characters story.

I still have some catching up to do. Working on it.

JubalFaircloth
01-28-2010, 09:30 AM
This is great. I have personally experienced many of the same reactions to the work as many others who have posted here. I love that fortune cookie story from Unicornicopia and I have often paraphrased Dave's line about "taking coincidences as a sign from the universe that I'm on the right track" many times. I've also mentioned the line about, being created in God's image doesn't mean we LOOK like God, but that we are created to be creators as God is. These little kernels of wisdom are so much fun to find and explore in Kabuki.

So, how would I rank them? Honestly, my list is exactly the inverse of the order they were created, with Alchemy at the top and COB at the bottom. But of course I love them all. I still think these are some of the best comics of our modern times.

Cheers!
Jubes

davidchatman
07-31-2011, 10:57 PM
I like the 4th volume.This book, while ostensibly a superhero comic book is in fact an excellent combination of so many things. This book brings together great storytelling, excellent characterisation, beautiful artwork, poetry and psychology. We learn more about the fate of the great character Mack has created in Kabuki.

zhenny27
10-08-2011, 06:33 AM
hello,im newbie in this forum.

mirandalpha
10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
1-Circle of Blood

It's a beautiful book. The art work is a combination of the american comic book style with japanese traditional art. none of the manga crap. It in some places is hard to follow, but similar it makes beautiful references to childrens classics, and gorgeous metaphors.