PDA

View Full Version : DM's new Signature

HotRob
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey David,

Looking at the Wolverine:Road of Bones and White Tiger artwork theres a whole new design to signing your work.

How did this come about and does it have a meaning other than just being a signature?

Cheers,
R.

MACK!
04-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Hi Robin!
Give my best to our pals down under!

I think you are talking about the red chop over my name.

I've used these several times in various pieces of my art before over the years.
I had a few of them custom made when I was in China and Japan.
One set I got for my brother and I. My chop had the character for "big brother" and his for "little brother".
And also a larger chop that says "Kabuki".

The one you are referring to was a gift to me from Miss Fumiko of the First Zen Institute of America.
I started using it recently (or late 2004 ) on the covers of "RUULE: Ganglords of China Town, and on the two "Ronin Hood" paintings I did, because they it sort of fit the subject matter and composition. I had painted them in a kind of eastern style.

The Wolverine cover, was also in Japan and featured Yukio on the cover, and it seemed to work there.
And I thought it just worked on the bold desing of the first White Tiger cover too.
And the covers have it too, as there is a Japanese imagery and subject matter in some of the story.

HotRob
04-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi David!

Most warmly received and returned by the kiwi gang, thanks!

Please excuse my ignorance, but is a chop like a stamp?

I noticed the chop also on the cover of the latest Kabuki Reflections #5, hence why i was wondering if you'd found some new (and exciting) way to sign your name. :)

Your right, it certainly adds to the Japanese feel of each of the works and i can't wait to see more of the White Tigers covers you will be doing.

Thanks!
Robin.

jactinglim
04-23-2006, 02:20 AM
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm curious: who's your model for White Tiger? :)