PDA

View Full Version : Fan tosses syringe at Bonds in opener

McAfee
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
How did I miss this?:)
-------------------------------

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A fan tossed a syringe near Barry Bonds (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85852) as he came off the field in between innings on Monday at Petco Park, and the San Francisco Giants (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71612) slugger said he picked it up in his glove and carried it off the field.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5470614_36_2.jpg"If that's what they want to do, embarrass themselves, then that's on them. That has nothing to do with me at all." Giants slugger Barry Bonds after a fan at Petco Park tossed a syringe at him Monday. (Chris Park / Associated Press)

The syringe apparently did not have a needle.
"I just put it off the field so no one would get hurt," said Bonds, who is under investigation by baseball for alleged steroid use.
The syringe toss occurred after the bottom of the eighth inning of the San Diego Padres (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71611)' 6-1 win over the Giants (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71612).
"If that's what they want to do, embarrass themselves, then that's on them," Bonds said. "That has nothing to do with me at all."
According to the book "Game of Shadows," written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters, Bonds used a vast array of performance-enhancing drugs, including steroids and human growth hormone, for at least five seasons beginning in 1998. According to the book, Bonds used several substances in various forms, including by injecting himself with a syringe and taking injections from his personal trainer.
Bonds, who has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, was booed often by the sellout crowd of 43,767 on Monday. "I don't judge them," Bonds said. "I have to concentrate on baseball. I leave that up to you guys to make those statements in the paper."

Taxman
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
What a fucking moron.

deadboy
04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
What a fucking moron.

Bonds or the syringe tosser?

Gavin
04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Interesting. I don't think the dopers should replace the non-dopers in the record books.

JABSEN
Bonds or the syringe tosser?Yes

Taxman
Bonds or the syringe tosser?Well, Bonds baseball IQ is way too high to be called a moron. I'll just call him an asshole. He didn't even do anything wrong in this situation.

sonnylarue
04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Interesting. I don't think the dopers should replace the non-dopers in the record books.

I hope the powers that be in Baseball agree with you

Gavin
04-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I hope the powers that be in Baseball agree with you
It'd probably turn into some huge legal battle though.

Taxman
04-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I hope the powers that be in Baseball agree with youI don't think there is much they can do.

RøcketFrøg
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, Bonds baseball IQ is way too high to be called a moron. I'll just call him an asshole. He didn't even do anything wrong in this situation.
It is wrong to be Barry Bonds.

Gregory
04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, it was worth a shot.

Brian Defferding
04-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, it was worth a shot.

HAW!

xyzzy
04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
It'd probably turn into some huge legal battle though.

If they can prove that he doped up, then it shouldn't be an issue to strike him from the record books. If it's just rumor and suspicion, though, I don't think that should be enough.

sonnylarue
04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't think there is much they can do.

sure there is...

if it's proven that Bonds, Sosa, McGuire or any other stars were taking what was them illegal substances, their individual stats for those seasons can be expunged, in the same way the NCAA has done to colleges who violated NCAA rules.

Baseball can do whatever it truly WANTS to do, the big question is , are they willing to get that hardcore?

Shane W
04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
sure there is...

if it's proven that Bonds, Sosa, McGuire or any other stars were taking what was them illegal substances, their individual stats for those seasons can be expunged, in the same way the NCAA has done to colleges who violated NCAA rules.

Baseball can do whatever it truly WANTS to do, the big question is , are they willing to get that hardcore?

Well, this was a point that was recently asked of me, and I have no real answer.

Sure, McGwire, Bonds, Sosa etc may have used, but how can we say what records should be wiped considering that several pitchers were probably using the stuff also?

Shane W
04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
No, Selig is too much of a wimp.

Gregory
04-04-2006, 11:21 AM
No, Selig is too much of a wimp.

Which may be why he commissioned the Mitchell group. They can be the bad guys.

Shane W
04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Which may be why he commissioned the Mitchell group. They can be the bad guys.

I'm wondering why it took him this long. The probe should have started at the first sign of abuse years ago. Especiialy when Caminitti passed.

ds9
04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
What a way to get Bonds. Nice.

ThisSpaceForRent
04-04-2006, 11:26 AM
He didn't even do anything wrong in this situation.

He showed up.
That fucker should just go home and leave baseball alone. He's raped it enough.

deadboy
04-04-2006, 11:30 AM
He showed up.
That fucker should just go home and leave baseball alone. He's raped it enough.

Is raping a corpse really rape?

Shane W
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Is raping a corpse really rape?

When did he start playing hockey?

Taxman
04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Is raping a corpse really rape?depends on the State

McAfee
04-04-2006, 11:33 AM

C'mon, now....he's got too many teeth to pass for a hockey player!;)

bstie1198
04-04-2006, 11:50 AM

:rofl: I know funny and that's funny.

Taxman
04-18-2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks//articles/0418fanside0418.html

Fan arrested for tossing object near Bonds

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 18, 2006 12:00 AM

Mark Greggersen, 23, of Show Low was arrested in the bottom of the fourth inning Monday night when he threw an empty toothpaste tube near the feet of San Francisco Giants left fielder Barry Bonds.

Greggersen, who was sitting in Chase Field's left field bleachers, was arrested for disorderly conduct and was removed from the stadium, said Diamondbacks President Rich Dozer.

Greggersen was taken to a Maricopa County jail.

"We've added a little extra security just based on the situation at hand," Dozer said when reached by phone during the game.

Before that incident, Monday night's game seemed like any other Diamondbacks game against any other team.

The chorus of boos when Bonds was introduced in the starting lineup was just a squeak over the usual heckle of an opposing team's best player. When Bonds stepped up to the plate in the first inning, he received the usual "ste-riods" chant and a fan yelling "cheater."

The 21,610 in attendance didn't go up in a roar over Bonds, who batted fourth, until he lined out to first. The cheers seemed more for the play being the first out (the Giants took a 1-0 lead after the first three batters) than anything anti-Bonds.

Doug Seipel, a season ticket holder since 1998, was baffled when he noticed the beefed-up security.

"I thought, 'Why do they have all this security for? No one's going to do anything,' " said Seipel, 42, of Mesa, an inning before Greggersen threw a tube at Bonds.

Seipel's sign, which read "Hey Barry! Why wasn't great good enough!" was one of just a handful of anti-Bonds posters.

"I really thought there would be more (anti-Bonds) signs," Seipel said.

Instead there were more signs supporting the Giants slugger, including Isaul Flores' "Leave Bonds Alone!"

And only a handful of fans in the left field bleachers who stood up to boo Bonds when he would walk over to his fielding position at the bottom of innings.

Jim Delaney, 49, of Tempe was the most noticeable of hecklers, sitting just three rows up from the left field wall.

"I just feel he cheated," Delaney said. "I know they haven't been able to prove it. But it's pretty obvious. I'm not big on him. And he's got a lot of records. I question his records. Other than that, I like the guy."