PDA

View Full Version : Lair for the PS3. Holy shit.

noble
04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Again I apologize for the size of the image.

I'm at work, and don't have a photo manip program here.

Anyhow, this is by Factor 5. Who you might remember did the Rogue Squadron games on N64 and Gamecube.

Everything I've read and seen from this is that it's going to be like RS, but instead of flying ships, you'll be flying dragons. You'll have wingmen(or would that be dragonmen?) that you can command via the joypad just like RS.

And the graphics kick the shit out my teeth everytime I look at them.
I hate that they jumped ship from nintendo and are now PS3 exclusive, but holy shit does this look sweet.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/371835/lair-screen-20060327004958573.jpg

mattbrand
04-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow, those graphics do look amazing!

Ben
04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Cut scene...

Bill!
It could be cool. But one thing I hate Factor 5 for is their brilliance with graphics, but there total lack of depth. Each Rogue Squadron game was fun for about an hour, and then, after every mission was pretty much identical or just plain not fun (especially the case in the non-ship missions), it got really old really fast. I could see the same happening with this.

The graphics are fucking beautiful and its a fun concept, but execution is tricky.

Vonn Hennigar
Looks cool but i'm more excited by the gameplay possibilities.

If there's an invisible wall anywhere someone should be shot.

moonspider
04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
lair?

noble
04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Cut scene...
Nope.

Look in the upper left hand corner. You'll see the d-pad commands for your wingmen, and in the lower left is your life bar.

Factor 5 was always known for delivering jaw dropping graphics, so if there's any development team that I would believe to deliver in game graphics of this quality, it's them.

McAfee
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Cut scene...

no

Actually look at the pic.

Dood Lee
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Nope.

Look in the upper left hand corner. You'll see the d-pad commands for your wingmen, and in the lower left is your life bar.

You could always pre-render a scene, even with the life bars and everything. That's why I don't trust pre-release scenes unless I physically see someone playing the game, or play it myself. Many people don't realize that there is a big difference between rendering a scene, and rendering a scene with sound, physics, AI, etc. All game companies showcase pre-rendered scenes to get the hype going.

A.Huerta
04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
You could always pre-render a scene, even with the life bars and everything. That's why I don't trust pre-release scenes unless I physically see someone playing the game, or play it myself. Many people don't realize that there is a big difference between rendering a scene, and rendering a scene with sound, physics, AI, etc. All game companies showcase pre-rendered scenes to get the hype going.

HAve u seen that boxing game for the 360? That shit was REAL:crazy:

That shot looks legit, not really a stretch after i saw that boxing demo at Target.

noble
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Hell have you seen Elder scrolls on the 360.? Those backgrounds look downright too life-like.

Anyhow Moonspider, Lair is a game where you are a dragon rider, and you command a squad of other dragon riders. Just like in rogue Squadron you command them to form up, attack specific targets etc. Now I don't know much about the story, but the trailer up at IGN shows hundreds of dragons flying in the sky kicking the poonanie out of each other. So I imagine it's going to be like RS but instead of ships you have dragons, and instead of sci-fi star wars worlds, you'll be duking it out amidsts castles and ancient backdrops.

moonspider
04-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Hell have you seen Elder scrolls on the 360.? Those backgrounds look downright too life-like.

Anyhow Moonspider, Lair is a game where you are a dragon rider, and you command a squad of other dragon riders. Just like in rogue Squadron you command them to form up, attack specific targets etc. Now I don't know much about the story, but the trailer up at IGN shows hundreds of dragons flying in the sky kicking the poonanie out of each other. So I imagine it's going to be like RS but instead of ships you have dragons, and instead of sci-fi star wars worlds, you'll be duking it out amidsts castles and ancient backdrops.

reminded me of the pranzer dragoon games

Joe Henderson
04-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Those graphics are indeed amazing--Factor 5 really knows how to get the best out of hardware.

TheKraken
04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
They put wings on the shitty American Godzilla... Nice graphics and all, but still....

FedEx Fanboy
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Nope.

Factor 5 was always known for delivering jaw dropping graphics, so if there's any development team that I would believe to deliver in game graphics of this quality, it's them.

Yea, just like that teaser for Killzone 2 was real time... :roll:

I'm thinking this very well could be like the cutscenes for RE4, where there are some on screen controls pop up. Or kinda like transition scenes, which might use the game engine, but aren't real time.

Amos Moses
04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
It does look impressive.

Briomega
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Yea, just like that teaser for Killzone 2 was real time... :roll:

I'm thinking this very well could be like the cutscenes for RE4, where there are some on screen controls pop up. Or kinda like transition scenes, which might use the game engine, but aren't real time.

Especially considering final dev kits don't go out for a few months. It's a pretty picture but that's about all at this point.

KingMob
04-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Especially considering final dev kits don't go out for a few months. It's a pretty picture but that's about all at this point.

is there even a working prototype yet or are they still running this stuff on those super duper macs?

Briomega
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
is there even a working prototype yet or are they still running this stuff on those super duper macs?

Not even sure. Last I had read, the machines they did have were making it very diffiicult to develop because of lack of features/software tools.

KingMob
04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Not even sure. Last I had read, the machines they did have were making it very diffiicult to develop because of lack of features/software tools.

this article and the pics were from last July, so was the trailer.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635496p1.html

Briomega
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
this article and the pics were from last July, so was the trailer.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635496p1.html

That seals that, then.

KingMob
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
That seals that, then.

pretty much. :lol:

Angel of Distraction
04-03-2006, 05:54 PM
It almost looks too much like a movie.