PDA

View Full Version : Iceman... Still a mutant or not?

Francis
03-30-2006, 09:18 PM
SPOILERS!

Okay, in House of M Iceman was revealed to have lost his powers... But in Deadly Genesis and Generation M he has made appearances in ice-form... What's the deal? Shoddy editing? That's a pretty big goof. I mean, he had a full-page reveal in HOM...

--
Francis

The Human Target
03-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Horrible writing actually.

He so wanted to loose his oce powers he tricked himself into thinking he had lost them.

And then realized he didn't.

WinstonWolf
03-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Yesss. He got them back. The House of M thing has never been specified, because we don't know WHICH mutants still have their powers.

innocentboy
03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
was in an issue of X-Men (no adjective) i think ... LaRocca, Sentinnels, mutant hater in a hockey mask ... he got shot or something but then turned to ice form and lived if i remember right. i dunno, kinda tired right now

artimoff
03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Iceman is a mutant. Polaris is not.

Flonk
03-30-2006, 09:28 PM
As I understand it, a bunch of mutants lost their powers and Bobby said "well, I guess I did, too!"

Turns out, he was wrong.

Len Ford
03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Yeah, something like he was so afraid of losing his powers that he put up some sort of mental block and couldn't access them. Emma Frost was able to break down the blocks and cause him to change to his ice form.

copypastepuke
03-30-2006, 09:33 PM
emma frost kicked ass when she was using bobby's powers that one time.

The Human Target
03-30-2006, 09:42 PM
emma frost kicked ass when she was using bobby's powers that one time.

Yeah she did.

Too bad he never did do anything very impressive after that with his powers.

jadailyTCU
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Iceman is the most crappily used character in the whole goddamned X-Men lineup. At least, out of the major characters. He has such potential to be so very cool (no pun intended), but everyone just writes him as this joker who can't take anything seriously, which he really sort of is, but they write it to where this makes him unable to do anything significant, which I think is just writers not knowing what to do with him. I've always thought Iceman could be a great Human Torch/Hawkeye type character, always a smartass but great potential to really contribute to the team, but you so rarely see him being used like that. Pisses me right the hell off.

Professor Oreo
03-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Iceman is the most crappily used character in the whole goddamned X-Men lineup. At least, out of the major characters. He has such potential to be so very cool (no pun intended), but everyone just writes him as this joker who can't take anything seriously, which he really sort of is, but they write it to where this makes him unable to do anything significant, which I think is just writers not knowing what to do with him. I've always thought Iceman could be a great Human Torch/Hawkeye type character, always a smartass but great potential to really contribute to the team, but you so rarely see him being used like that. Pisses me right the hell off.

There was a pretty cool 2 issue X-Men arc done with Iceman years ago when his asian girlfriend was kidnapped by asian cyber-samurai dudes. It was drawn by Portacio and it fucking ruled.

Marcdachamp
03-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I HATE how Milligan writes him. He makes him SUCH a whiny bitch. Havok too. A lot of people didn't like how he acted under Austen, but I could see the motivation there. Imagine a guy who's been bullying you since you were 15, wrecked your home on more occasions than you can count and has beaten the snot out of you is now living with you and on your team. That I can understand. This awfully written, boring love affair, I cannot.

Bart A Thompson
03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah she did.

Too bad he never did do anything very impressive after that with his powers.

It was a slow thing... I think they were trying to let him learn more and experiment with his powes a bit at a time, but then there were a few team & editorial changes and the whole thing dropped out of sight.

RebootedCorpse
03-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Well, by God, it fits, for Death was the Iceman called to his home!

John Drake
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM

thanks. that's so true.

tjtolosa
03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
They started to do some really neat things with iceman and his powers around the time of the onslaught mess, but it was all dropped somewhere along the way with all the writing and editorial changes. I think the whole "iceman lost his powers oops he really didn't" thing was just to retcon the horrible secondary mutation where he couldn't revert to human form anymore from when austen was writing uncanny.

BURKE
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
It would be cool as hell if none of the mutants actualy lost there powers at all, what if it was that the Scarlet Witch only changed the reality of how mutants percieve themselves so that they only thought they had lost their powers, kind of a mind over matter type of thing..........I mean, it is possible.

ClintP
03-31-2006, 11:52 AM
He so wanted to loose his oce powers he tricked himself into thinking he had lost them.
That.... is horrible writing. Good god, now I realize why I stopped getting X-Men comics.