PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta - Warrior Magazine Publishing History Inquiry

Kensington
03-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm trying to get a handle on how V for Vendetta was presented originally. I know it was published serially in Warrior magazine, but how was it divided? Was Warrior a monthly or a weekly? Was V presented 6 to 8 pages at a time, corresponding to the chapter divisions in the final work?

I didn't enjoy reading the book very much, and I think the problem may have been the coloring. I didn't realize that the story had been presented in black and white originally, and I don't think the coloring helps. Everything seems terribly muddy, and I wonder whether the stark black and white approach would have been more effective.

edwardmblake
03-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Warrior was monthly. You can get them here http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home_Warrior_Magazine_154.html
Or any convention.

I recommend getting the entire run. Plus there is one Marvel Man story that didn't see print in the Eclipse reprints. (Warrior Summer Special)

The stories were published as the small chapters. Warrior ended before V was done, so the concluding chapters (issues) done at DC can only be found in color.

deadboy
03-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I have all the issues of warrior. If you want I could break it down for you. Just tell me exactly what you'd like to know and I can take a look at how it was broken down. I don't remember for certain if they even finish the whole series in warrior.

Kensington
03-29-2006, 09:36 AM
I have all the issues of warrior. If you want I could break it down for you. Just tell me exactly what you'd like to know and I can take a look at how it was broken down. I don't remember for certain if they even finish the whole series in warrior.Thank you. That probably isn't necessary. I just noticed as I was reading the trade that it wasn't breaking down in any obvious 22-24 page fashion like many do that are composed of today's comics. Knowing that it came out 6-8 pages at a time, monthly, is really all I needed to know.;-)

Brian Defferding
03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, the coloring really does make the art worse.

deadboy
03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Thank you. That probably isn't necessary. I just noticed as I was reading the trade that it wasn't breaking down in any obvious 22-24 page fashion like many do that are composed of today's comics. Knowing that it came out 6-8 pages at a time, monthly, is really all I needed to know.;-)

It's been a while since I read it, but as I recall there are chapter/book breaks pretty regularly every few pages. Those are the breaks as they appeared in the magazine.

Kensington
03-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the coloring really does make the art worse.The trade I'm reading is terribly muddy. I think I'd probably enjoy it more if I had the time to give it a second reading, but it's due back at the library today and there are like 60 holds on it outstanding. Presumably the same 60 dirty hippies without jobs who also have Behold A Pale Horse on perpetual hold. :roll: :razz:

Artie Pink
03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
David Lloyd did the coloring - DC insisted it be in color - and I think he oversaw the recent HC.

And:

Warrior was monthly. You can get them here http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home_Warrior_Magazine_154.html
Or any convention.

I recommend getting the entire run. Plus there is one Marvel Man story that didn't see print in the Eclipse reprints. (Warrior Summer Special)

Yes!!

Kensington
03-29-2006, 10:06 AM
David Lloyd did the coloringWell, I'm sure he did the best he could, but I've rarely found a comic story distractingly less pleasant to look at.

Kensington
03-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Or any convention.Holy crap! I may actually have owned an issue or two of this back in the 80s!

artimoff
03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
V4V issues 1-7 had the Warrior reprints, 8-10 were all new.

Kensington
03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
V4V issues 1-7 had the Warrior reprints, 8-10 were all new.How much of the post-Warrior material was actually written for Warrior but went unprinted because of Warrior's demise? Was the entire series designed to be printed 6-8 pages at a time, or was the post-Warrior material written more for a full-length monthly comic format?