PDA

View Full Version : Proverbs and your view of the world

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm writing a paper on American ways of viewing the world (worldview) and how they are reflected in proverbs. For example, it has been said that the proverb for capitalistic worldview is "time is money." Or people have pointed to how America is a future oriented society, which is reflected in proverbs such as "a stitch in time saves nine" or "the early bird catches the worm."

So my question is, and I would be much obliged if you would respond, do you have a personal life philosophy/worldview, and is there a proverb that you use a lot that corresponds to it? E.g. Are you saying (or is your father always saying to you), "a penny saved is a penny earned" or something like that.

St.-
03-22-2006, 06:21 AM
how about the book of proverbs?

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 06:26 AM
how about the book of proverbs?

Yeah, I should look at that. I know it's popular particularly among some sects of Christianity. I'm not too familiar with it though or know how popular the proverbs in it are in day to day life.

Matt Jay
03-22-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm all about the golden rule. It's touched on in the bible, but it's actually much older than that.

GelfXIII
03-22-2006, 06:29 AM
My book of proverbs is pretty close to the shooting script of Bill and Ted:

Bill: Be excellent to each other.
Ted: Party on, dudes.

Bill, Ted: Excellent.
air guitar

Evil Duke: Execute them.
Bill, Ted: Bogus!

Bill: Whoa

Really. that says it all, doesn't it?

Pat Loika
03-22-2006, 06:30 AM
"Better to bend than to break."

It's an Indian proverb that best describes how I handle things in both my professional and personal life. I'm flexible, I'm willing to compromise.

P.

JamesV
03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
My book of proverbs is pretty close to the shooting script of Bill and Ted:

I would like to buy your book of proverbs, but only if it comes with a free gift!

:D

St.-
03-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I should look at that. I know it's popular particularly among some sects of Christianity. I'm not too familiar with it though or know how popular the proverbs in it are in day to day life.

Most everday sayings are based out of the Bible in some way or another. And most are misqouted. :)

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Just for you
Here are a few proverbs from the Bible. I basicaly went through and typed the ones I had underlined in mine.

Proverbs
1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction
2:2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
2:6 For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
3:3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.
3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
3:6 In all of your ways acknowledge Him. And He will make your paths straight.
2:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it.
4:13 Watch over your hear with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.
5:21 For the ways of a man are before the eyes of the Lord, And He watches all his paths.
6:16-19 There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.
6:32 The One who commits adultery with a woman is lacking sense: He who would destroy himself does it.
8:11 For wisdom is better than jewels; And all desirable things cannot compare with her.
8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.
9: 7-9 He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you, Reprove a wise man and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
10:2 Ill gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death.
11:2 When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.
12:1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid.
14:12 there is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
15:22 Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.
16:20 He who gives attention to the word will find good, And blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.
21:17 He who loves pleasure will become a poor man; He who loves wine and oil will not become rich.
23:12 Apply your heart to discipline and your ears to words of knowledge.
23:13 Do not hold back discipline from the child, Although you strike him with the rod, he will not die.
26:18-19 Like a madman who throws Firebrands, arrows and death, So is the man who deceives his neighbor, And says, "Was I not Joking?"
31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Most everday sayings are based out of the Bible in some way or another. And most are misqouted. :)

True one of my favorites is Money is the Root of All Evil.

It's actually the Love of Money is the Root of All Types of Evil. 1 Timothy 6:10

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 07:21 AM
"Better to bend than to break."

It's an Indian proverb that best describes how I handle things in both my professional and personal life. I'm flexible, I'm willing to compromise.

P.

Where did you learn this proverb (this question goes for anyone who's posting proverbs.)

I ascribe to the golden rule myself, I think it comes from my parents but I'm not sure. In my case it doesn't come from religion.

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Just for you
Here are a few proverbs from the Bible. I basicaly went through and typed the ones I had underlined in mine.

Proverbs
1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction
2:2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding;
2:6 For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
3:3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.
3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.
3:6 In all of your ways acknowledge Him. And He will make your paths straight.
2:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it.
4:13 Watch over your hear with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.
5:21 For the ways of a man are before the eyes of the Lord, And He watches all his paths.
6:16-19 There are six things which the Lord hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.
6:32 The One who commits adultery with a woman is lacking sense: He who would destroy himself does it.
8:11 For wisdom is better than jewels; And all desirable things cannot compare with her.
8:13 The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.
9: 7-9 He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself, And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you, Reprove a wise man and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning.
10:2 Ill gotten gains do not profit, But righteousness delivers from death.
11:2 When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.
12:1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, But he who hates reproof is stupid.
14:12 there is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
15:22 Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.
16:20 He who gives attention to the word will find good, And blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.
21:17 He who loves pleasure will become a poor man; He who loves wine and oil will not become rich.
23:12 Apply your heart to discipline and your ears to words of knowledge.
23:13 Do not hold back discipline from the child, Although you strike him with the rod, he will not die.
26:18-19 Like a madman who throws Firebrands, arrows and death, So is the man who deceives his neighbor, And says, "Was I not Joking?"
31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

Wow, thank you! What sect of Christianity are you, if you don't mind me asking? And do you find that you think of these proverbs in specific situations in your daily life? Do you have impulses/situations where you would act counter to the advice above?

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM

It's actually the Love of Money is the Root of All Types of Evil. 1 Timothy 6:10

So would you say that you try to not be too into making money then? How does this play out in your life?

St.-
03-22-2006, 07:28 AM

yeah my pastor does a great job of making sure people get these "sayings" right :)

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
I have another question in addition to all my others.
What are parts of the Bible that people point to in support of war or against war? I've been talking to a lot of Christian anti-war protestors who say they can't understand how people who follow the teachings of Jesus could be in support of war.

Matt Jay
03-22-2006, 08:10 AM
What are parts of the Bible that people point to in support of war or against war? I've been talking to a lot of Christian anti-war protestors who say they can't understand how people who follow the teachings of Jesus could be in support of war.
I think this could be construed in favor:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_parables_of_jesus/parable_of_the_many_murders/mt21_33a.html

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I think this could be construed in favor:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_parables_of_jesus/parable_of_the_many_murders/mt21_33a.html

Those Lego figures are disturbingly emotive but thanks.

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 08:18 AM

Part of this is the quickest one to answer since I still have my Bible opened to that section. Basically the section it's from talks about how there is a time and a season for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 A time for war and a time for peace.

When it comes to my personal take, this is a really good question and one that I'm currently reevaluating my views with on a continual basis.
My personal take is this that when you're wronged you grant forgiveness just as Christ did to those on the Cross
But there is the examples of Jesus standing up and fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. Basically defending those who can't defend themselves. This is the example of him overturning the money changers Mark 11:15-26. Also the Woman caught in adultery John 8:1-11. These are examples of Christ rising up to physically make a defense to those who are being bullied. My take on a just war is the same thing. That you fight in order to defend those who can't defend themselves. It's a very complex thing to put into words honestly.

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 08:21 AM
So would you say that you try to not be too into making money then? How does this play out in your life?

I try not to focus on having material possessions. One of the first things i learned in my life was the first commandment that states Do not have any gods before God. The best explanation I ever heard of what is considered a personal god is what you devote most of your time too, because that is what controls the majority of your life. So basically I put it that yes I can work hard and make money but that shouldn't be the sole purpose of my life.

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I try not to focus on having material possessions. One of the first things i learned in my life was the first commandment that states Do not have any gods before God. The best explanation I ever heard of what is considered a personal god is what you devote most of your time too, because that is what controls the majority of your life. So basically I put it that yes I can work hard and make money but that shouldn't be the sole purpose of my life.

Would you extend that to be against, just as one example, corporations that put profits ahead of the well-being of employees or something like that? An thanks for all the articulate answers.

Deceleration_Trauma
03-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Can't help you with anything Judeo-christian but I can share my personal philosophy:

"Everything evens out in the end."

Olivier E.
03-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Part of this is the quickest one to answer since I still have my Bible opened to that section. Basically the section it's from talks about how there is a time and a season for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 A time for war and a time for peace.

When it comes to my personal take, this is a really good question and one that I'm currently reevaluating my views with on a continual basis.
My personal take is this that when you're wronged you grant forgiveness just as Christ did to those on the Cross
But there is the examples of Jesus standing up and fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. Basically defending those who can't defend themselves. This is the example of him overturning the money changers Mark 11:15-26. Also the Woman caught in adultery John 8:1-11. These are examples of Christ rising up to physically make a defense to those who are being bullied. My take on a just war is the same thing. That you fight in order to defend those who can't defend themselves. It's a very complex thing to put into words honestly.

There's a real good explanation of this in Voltaire's Treatise on Tolerance, where he just analyzes this subject, but it has been years since I've read it,

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Wow, thank you! What sect of Christianity are you, if you don't mind me asking? And do you find that you think of these proverbs in specific situations in your daily life? Do you have impulses/situations where you would act counter to the advice above?

Welcome. I'm a good ole southern baptist boy.

Alot of them I try to use in just daily trials in life. James 1:2-12 is one of my favorites as far as facing trails. And Proverbs 3:5-6 I try to focus on when life seems out of control.

Proverbs 31:30 helps me evaluate who I date as far as the type of woman I want to marry someday.

I have a hard time with Proverbs 9:7-9 because I like to debate and I do at times get into arguments with what would be identified as a scoffer.
Also 26:1 I do because I'll say something false and then come back with I was just joking. I find that I'm always finding things that I lack when it comes to living exactly as Proverbs says too.

Chantal_D
Can't help you with anything Judeo-christian but I can share my personal philosophy:

"Everything evens out in the end."

So do you ever say stuff like "what goes around comes around" or something more fitting to that philosophy. And also, where did you get that philosophy? Your parents? Personal experience?

Jumbopimp
There's a real good explanation of this in Voltaire's Treatise on Tolerance, where he just analyzes this subject, but it has been years since I've read it,

Sweet thanks I've been trying to figure out who wrote Treatise on Tolerance. Thanks

Jumbopimp
03-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Would you extend that to be against, just as one example, corporations that put profits ahead of the well-being of employees or something like that? An thanks for all the articulate answers.

Somewhat. I find it's hard to put people that aren't supposed to be on a Christian standard on one. Now if a company comes out and says it's a Christian organization and they are putting profits ahead of people then I'm totally not for that. I don't think putting profits ahead of people usally ever works out long term anyway but, I'm more of a hey let's pray for these people and try to give them the relationship before giving them the rules. I think this idea is always working subconciously when I'm dealing with alot of things such as companies and groups.

Deceleration_Trauma
03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
So do you ever say stuff like "what goes around comes around" or something more fitting to that philosophy.

Sure. I believe that's true.

And also, where did you get that philosophy? Your parents? Personal experience?

Ugh. Personal experience! No matter how bad something is, it's got to get better and if things are going well you shouldn't rest on your laurels (another proverb for ya! ;) )

I also think that good deeds (and words) beget good deeds: you should help someone who's broken down on the side of the road because you never know when it'll be you stranded there, hoping someone stops and helps. If you smile and are nice to a person it not only will help you, but that person's day might go better and she might smile and be nice to someone else, and so on.

Obviously this goes for bad deeds as well.

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Sure. I believe that's true.

Ugh. Personal experience! No matter how bad something is, it's got to get better and if things are going well you shouldn't rest on your laurels (another proverb for ya! ;) )

I also think that good deeds (and words) beget good deeds: you should help someone who's broken down on the side of the road because you never know when it'll be you stranded there, hoping someone stops and helps. If you smile and are nice to a person it not only will help you, but that person's day might go better and she might smile and be nice to someone else, and so on.

Obviously this goes for bad deeds as well.

Great, thank you!
Anyone else,
-What is your personal philosophy or how you think the world operates?
-where do you think you got this philosophy?
-how do you convey this philosophy to other people? By example? With advice? With advice that includes proverbs?

artimoff
03-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Ryan Elliott
03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I like Luke Cage's in one of the New Avengers issues. I think they were still in the Savage Land.

It's alone the lines of this:

"Always believe people are shit. That way you never get disappointed."

I'm paraphrasing. But that's the gist.

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I like Luke Cage's in one of the New Avengers issues. I think they were still in the Savage Land.

It's alone the lines of this:

"Always believe people are shit. That way you never get disappointed."

I'm paraphrasing. But that's the gist.

And you believe this? Do you think more people turn out to be shit or not shit? :) And how'd you come to that worldview?

Pat Loika
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Where did you learn this proverb (this question goes for anyone who's posting proverbs.)

I ascribe to the golden rule myself, I think it comes from my parents but I'm not sure. In my case it doesn't come from religion.

I learned it from a friend. She is of Indian descent and she's had a bit of a rough time in her professional life. One time, over dinner, she told me this. I learned to believe in it.

We all are making our way, trying to better ourselves. Sometimes, the people around us will be difficult to deal with, and some of them would be inflexible. Rather than be broken or defeated, I learned to compromise, or bend a little bit. Soon enough living by this worked out for me. I'm getting paid fairly well, I'm able to pursue other things that I enjoy, and it's because I'm able to compromise with others at work and in my personal life.

"Better to bend than to break" indeed.

P.

Chantal_D
03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I learned it from a friend. She is of Indian descent and she's had a bit of a rough time in her professional life. One time, over dinner, she told me this. I learned to believe in it.

We all are making our way, trying to better ourselves. Sometimes, the people around us will be difficult to deal with, and some of them would be inflexible. Rather than be broken or defeated, I learned to compromise, or bend a little bit. Soon enough living by this worked out for me. I'm getting paid fairly well, I'm able to pursue other things that I enjoy, and it's because I'm able to compromise with others at work and in my personal life.

"Better to bend than to break" indeed.

P.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation.