PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to feature downloadable PS1 & PS2 games?

noble
03-14-2006, 03:40 AM
This is just a rumor, but here you go...

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200603/066.asp

PS3 Could Download, Play PS, PS2 Games

Don't get too excited. This is not only unconfirmed, it's still only in the talking-about stages too.

Nintendo made big news last year with the news that its next-gen console, Revolution, would be able to download and play games from most of the company's past systems, including the NES, SNES and the Nintendo 64. A new report out this week suggests that Sony could be looking to do something similar for the PlayStation 3.

Several developers are already in talks with Sony about the feasibility of providing both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games for download, says a report at GamesIndustry.biz, citing unnamed sources.

It's important to note that the talks are reportedly only about whether something like this would be technically possible, and there are no confirmed games that will be ready for such a system.

Still, the report goes along with others from earlier this year that suggested Sony would be pushing online in a big way through a service similar to Xbox Live. The rumoured PlayStation HUB could provide access to a variety of downloadable content - not just games.

Sony has refused to comment on anything related to the PlayStation 3. The company is rumoured to be planning a PlayStation 3 meeting for later this month, where more details could be revealed.

Alex Wollenschlaeger
Editor, Kikizo Games

KingMob
03-14-2006, 04:30 AM
maybe one of these days sony will actually get a working prototype of an PS3 then they can talk specs. :razz:

Cth
03-14-2006, 06:16 AM
So, take from Xbox, take from Nintendo.

Anything original this generation?

WinterRose
03-14-2006, 06:29 AM

So what? If they implement it, they're making a smart move that someone else made first. If they don't, they'll get lambasted for it. If it's a rumour they're starting to generate hype, it's a pretty dumb thing to do if implementing it isn't their intention. As far as consoles go, they're the people I'm least pissed with that has most of the games I'd want to play going for em. I'm reasonably confident Kutaragi will make something worth seeing.

That said, as always, if I had the money people are speculating the PS3 will cost, my PC will get all the upgrade love.

Smokinblues
03-14-2006, 06:30 AM

downloadable games, even to a console, is hardly an original concept. it's like saying having a wireless controller is stealing ideas.

Cth
03-14-2006, 06:34 AM
True, Sega TV and what not.. but since we're talking the current generation of systems, it really isn't offering much different outside of pushing their proprietary format that's a huge step backwards.

Corey A.
03-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Who cares. They promised all the same shit for the worthless HDD for PS2.

Foolish Mortal
03-14-2006, 06:55 AM

I don't think it's a matter of "taking", it's a matter of giving people features they want to have.

Many people only buy one console brand the same way many people only buy cars from one auto manufacturer. When one auto manufacturer introduces a new feature in their cars, it doesn't take long for their competitors to introduce the same or similar feature in their cars so that their loyal buyers don't go over to the competition.

The innovation comes in when they take the feature and add to it, or making it so it works better than the competitor's version.

moonspider
03-14-2006, 07:32 AM
could'nt it just play ps2 and ps2 games rather than download?

much easyer for those thta dont wanna go online

Briomega
03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
At this point, with all that's happened, I wouldn't trust anything coming out from Sony until it's actually in somebody's hands.

Joe Henderson
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
It'd be dumb of them not to.

Smokinblues
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
supposedly sony's finally releasing details on ps3 tomorrow

Evan the Shaggy
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
It also has the power to turn beavers into gold.

Briomega
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
It also has the power to turn beavers into gold.

About damn time! This beaver farm's finally gonna turn a profit! :thumb:

yskitch
03-14-2006, 11:37 AM
that for me won't be very useful...no online at home...just hope it stays backwards compatible

Fat Randy
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
What are you going to to dl the games onto ? The PS3 is still using flash memory. and It's going to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games already. I call bullshit on this.

Modok Gas
03-14-2006, 01:48 PM
What are you going to to dl the games onto ? The PS3 is still using flash memory. and It's going to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games already. I call bullshit on this.

Also the file sizes of the games are a lot larger than Nintendo's library. It'll be a lot harder for Sony to pull off.

KAK
03-14-2006, 02:36 PM
It's a good idea, who really wants to haul out their old ps1 games or ps2, but really, Nintendo is leaps and bounds ahead of Sony in the "Retro Gaming Download area", I mean who wants to play Tomb Raider 1 or Crash Bandicoot on your PS3 when you could be playing Bionic Commando, Mega Man 2, Castlevania 3, Ninja Gaiden, etc etc..on you Revolution

KingMob
03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
supposedly sony's finally releasing details on ps3 tomorrow

I bet they will release the details on when they might hold the next press conference to release details on a possible date on a somewhat fully functional demo model.

Vonn Hennigar
03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
It's a good idea, who really wants to haul out their old ps1 games or ps2, but really, Nintendo is leaps and bounds ahead of Sony in the "Retro Gaming Download area", I mean who wants to play Tomb Raider 1 or Crash Bandicoot on your PS3 when you could be playing Bionic Commando, Mega Man 2, Castlevania 3, Ninja Gaiden, etc etc..on you Revolution

Has it even been confirmed that Nintendo will offer 3rd Party games like most that you're mentioning or just 1st Party made by Nintendo themselves games.

Lab-Rat
03-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Has it even been confirmed that Nintendo will offer 3rd Party games like most that you're mentioning or just 1st Party made by Nintendo themselves games.

They've signed a deal with Sega to offer Sega console games on the Revolution for Download. And I think I remember them saying that Capcom was going to let their old NES and SNES library available...though on the capcom thing, I could be wrong.

But Yes...Nintendo is going out of their way to try and get 3rd part NES SNES and N64 games on their online download store for the revolution.

kari
03-14-2006, 02:52 PM
So far just 1st party nintendo produced games, and a few Rare ones(possibly) is all that's been announced
-Noble

Smokinblues
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
So far just 1st party nintendo produced games, and a few Rare ones(possibly) is all that's been announced
-Noble

i might buy a revolution and the service just for the old pro wrestling game. that and it will be nice to have a toy for kids when family comes over.

Vonn Hennigar
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
They've signed a deal with Sega to offer Sega console games on the Revolution for Download. And I think I remember them saying that Capcom was going to let their old NES and SNES library available...though on the capcom thing, I could be wrong.

But Yes...Nintendo is going out of their way to try and get 3rd part NES SNES and N64 games on their online download store for the revolution.

Hmmm if they offer Bubble Bobble,Contra and the oh so imaginatively titled Ice Hockey even i may be sold.

KAK
03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Let's be honest is The Big N that dumb NOT to pick up all old school 3rd party games for the Revo.....ARE THEY!?....They're Not...are they?

Vonn Hennigar
03-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Any word on how the system for Downloading Games would work?
Pay Per Game or just whatever the hell you want for X amount a month?

Lab-Rat
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Any word on how the system for Downloading Games would work?
Pay Per Game or just whatever the hell you want for X amount a month?

the rumor right now is pay per game.

Briomega
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
-Noble

Huh? Rare? They are owned by Microsoft, I doubt they'd let the games out on a rival system.

Lab-Rat
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Huh? Rare? They are owned by Microsoft, I doubt they'd let the games out on a rival system.

I think he's reffering to the games that Rare made with Nintendo owned Copyrighted characters.

Briomega
03-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I think he's reffering to the games that Rare made with Nintendo owned Copyrighted characters.

Hmm, those might be possible, though it probably would still be a problem.

kari
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Let's be honest is The Big N that dumb NOT to pick up all old school 3rd party games for the Revo.....ARE THEY!?....They're Not...are they?

It's not that they are that dumb, it's trying to get the third parties to go for it ;)

-Noble