PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best musical taste..

mike black
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Here on the board?

My money would be on Ryan Hoffman, but he never really gets into it.

TIP
03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Hmm.

T

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:10 AM
I don't think this can be answered, everyone thinks they're tastes are the best because it suits them personally.

MIKE D
03-13-2006, 07:11 AM
The best you can determine on an individual basis is who's taste you admire the most. It can't be quantifiable as "best" because it's different for everybody. For me, I admire Mark's taste the most.

Fourthman
03-13-2006, 07:12 AM
The best you can determine on an individual basis is who's taste you admire the most. It can't be quantifiable as "best" because it's different for everybody. For me, I admire Mark's taste the most.
Seconded, fourthed, whatever.

mike black
03-13-2006, 07:15 AM
I don't think this can be answered, everyone thinks they're tastes are the best because it suits them personally.

There's a definate difference between worshiping Kelly Osbourne and being a music fan. There is a serious core of about twenty music fans (bordering afficianado,) on this board - this thread is more or less a look at among them who has the best taste. These are the guys who search out music like Raydawggie searches out teenie bopper bathingsuit ads. This includes exposure (someone who ONLY listens to hip-hop for example, wouldn't qualifty. You have to have an understanding of music as a whole.) understanding of the medium, credibility among other posters, and general taste.

AAlgar
03-13-2006, 07:17 AM

I feel the same way about the magical pig-man who "Hmm"ed a few posts up.

Dr. Blasphemy
03-13-2006, 07:18 AM
I do.
Whatever I like is the best- whatever you like, that I dont sucks.
Thank you and good night.

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:19 AM
There's a definate difference between worshiping Kelly Osbourne and being a music fan. There is a serious core of about twenty music fans (bordering afficianado,) on this board - this thread is more or less a look at among them who has the best taste. These are the guys who search out music like Raydawggie searches out teenie bopper bathingsuit ads. This includes exposure (someone who ONLY listens to hip-hop for example, wouldn't qualifty. You have to have an understanding of music as a whole.) understanding of the medium, credibility among other posters, and general taste.
I'm standing by my statement, you still can't measure 'tastes' of other people. no matter how musically inclined you are or are an aficionado, it's too personalized. Maybe you are asking more in vein of 'who's more knowledgeable in music?'

mike black
03-13-2006, 07:21 AM
I'm standing by my statement, you still can't measure 'tastes' of other people. no matter how musically inclined you are or are an aficionado, it's too personalized. Maybe you are asking more in vein of 'who's more knowledgeable in music?'

You can be knowledgable in music and still like crap. Case in point? That girl we all knew in high school who was a gifted musician, played classic piano, and worshiped N*Sync.

TIP
03-13-2006, 07:22 AM
I feel the same way about the magical pig-man who "Hmm"ed a few posts up.

Pigman.
Come together with your Hams...

T
(with apologies to the defunct Soundgarden)

MIKE D
03-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Pigman.
Come together with your Hams...

T
(with apologies to the defunct Soundgarden)

May favorite part of that song is when the real Pigman solos by banging two piglets against his thighs.

TIP
03-13-2006, 07:24 AM
May favorite part of that song is when the real Pigman solos by banging two piglets against his thighs.

Nothing like the sound of future bacon slappin' skin.

T

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
You can be knowledgable in music and still like crap. Case in point? That girl we all knew in high school who was a gifted musician, played classic piano, and worshiped N*Sync.
see, but that's what I mean... who deems what music is better than the other except personal tastes?? who says N*Sync, as much as most of the population spit on the very idea of the band says that they are crappy, except for their fans who love them???????

stevapalooza
03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
The thing about "music afficiandos" is they tend to be douchebags. Actually any sort of afficianado is usually a douchebag. My guess is "afficianado" is Italian for douchebag.

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:28 AM
The thing about "music afficiandos" is they tend to be douchebags. Actually any sort of afficianado is usually a douchebag. My guess is "afficianado" is Italian for douchebag.
:shock: I think you might be onto something....

I'm a douchebag, and I'm an aficionado of many things.

TIP
03-13-2006, 07:28 AM

:lol:

T
(makes note to ask dad)

St.-
03-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Not I. I own stryper.

mike black
03-13-2006, 07:30 AM
see, but that's what I mean... who deems what music is better than the other except personal tastes?? who says N*Sync, as much as most of the population spit on the very idea of the band says that they are crappy, except for their fans who love them???????

There is a general idea of a musician as an individual who uses their musical ability to emote and to tell stories and to entertain. Just entertaining doesn't cut it. When you purposely sacrifice your talent in the name of watered down slush, you no longer qualify as a musician. Justin Timberlake is trying to take that back (though I don't care for him,) and might succeed.

Music is no longer good when you can see right through it. ;)

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:38 AM
There is a general idea of a musician as an individual who uses their musical ability to emote and to tell stories and to entertain. Just entertaining doesn't cut it. When you purposely sacrifice your talent in the name of watered down slush, you no longer qualify as a musician. Justin Timberlake is trying to take that back (though I don't care for him,) and might succeed.

that's your opinion

I'm not saying I don't agree, but I still say you can't measure a person's personal taste as 'better' or 'worse', it's just way too personal.

example: my tastes in music is vast, some bands will raise eyebrows, some bands will earn me 'cred', but it's my taste, and it cannot be judged as a whole.

mike black
03-13-2006, 07:41 AM
that's your opinion

I'm not saying I don't agree, but I still say you can't measure a person's personal taste as 'better' or 'worse', it's just way too personal.

example: my tastes in music is vast, some bands will raise eyebrows, some bands will earn me 'cred', but it's my taste, and it cannot be judged as a whole.

So then we can stop discussing comics, movies, art, tv, and literature? File it all under "opinion"?

Come on Taki, quit playing devil's advocate. You know there are people with terrible taste in music out there.

Taki Soma
03-13-2006, 07:43 AM
So then we can stop discussing comics, movies, art, tv, and literature? File it all under "opinion"?

Come on Taki, quit playing devil's advocate. You know there are people with terrible taste in music out there.
yea, they all are opinions, I never said stop discussing them, I just said you can't measure someone's musical tastes as better or worse.

bairdduvessa
03-13-2006, 07:43 AM
me.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
03-13-2006, 07:47 AM
*coughcoughTECHNOFEAR!coughcough*

(akaRyanHoffman)
03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Mwah?:-?

Blandy vs Terrorism
03-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I love country. So I already know 99.9% of you disagree with me.

But in my opinion, there is no "best" taste. Just like any other art form, it's all subjective.

WinterRose
03-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Not me. I like too many cheesy things.

JLTorres
03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
This shows a slight level of musical ignorance. My brother is a classically trained opera singer and as such has a deep repect for pop music due to the fact that it has some of the highest production values and most intricate orchestration around. That's not to say he doesn't like Radiohead better, but as a professional with a deep understanding of the craft, he is more likely to appreciate the musicality of pop than to go gaga over the Dead Kennedys.

Even guys like Leonard Bernstein dedicated a lot of time to understanding the fundamentals of pop. The performers themselves are just a small facet of a much larger and more intricate system.

That said, I have to go with Mark.

xyzzy
03-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Me, obviously. I always agree with my opinions on music.

JLTorres
03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
:lol:

mike black
03-13-2006, 09:11 AM
This shows a slight level of musical ignorance. My brother is a classically trained opera singer and as such has a deep repect for pop music due to the fact that it has some of the highest production values and most intricate orchestration around. That's not to say he doesn't like Radiohead better, but as a professional with a deep understanding of the craft, he is more likely to appreciate the musicality of pop than to go gaga over the Dead Kennedys.

Even guys like Leonard Bernstein dedicated a lot of time to understanding the fundamentals of pop. The performers themselves are just a small facet of a much larger and more intricate system.

That said, I have to go with Mark.

I'm not denying the talent of the people who write pop music. It's fucking hard to write a pop hit. And your right, there is a certainly a profound understanding of all types of music involved there. What I'm saying is that once the message becomes tranparent, and the soul behind it loses it's edge, or falls back on proven formulas without a genuine sense of adventure in it's inception - then it becomes less than great.

xyzzy
03-13-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm not denying the talent of the people who write pop music. It's fucking hard to write a pop hit. And your right, there is a certainly a profound understanding of all types of music involved there. What I'm saying is that once the message becomes tranparent, and the soul behind it loses it's edge, or falls back on proven formulas without a genuine sense of adventure in it's inception - then it becomes less than great.

I have absolutely no idea what that means, but I, too, enjoy pop music.

MattJohnson
03-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Mark, because he's younger than me (and most of you) but already has better taste than I could ever hope to acquire.

If you see him, please don't tell him about my het-crush :lol:

Tom Burgos
03-13-2006, 09:19 AM

As usual, Taki brings in the wisdom.

"Best taste" in whatever, comes down to personal taste, nothing else.

mike black
03-13-2006, 09:19 AM
I have absolutely no idea what that means, but I, too, enjoy pop music.

I.E. you can hear the difference between a pop song that was written with genuine emotion behind it, and a calculated attempt to write a pop song.

Tom Burgos
03-13-2006, 09:23 AM

That's your opinion, and I respect it.
But an opinion, nonetheless. Not fact.

No matter how crappy we think an artist is, even Black Eyed Peas and Britney consider that they are telling stories AND entertaining.

Music being "good" or "bad" is a fallacy as far as I'm concerned...in spite of what music teachers and music aficionados tell you.
We all respond to music differently, and I bet that many people are touched and emotionally connected to what others call slush.

PeterSparker
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Eh, not everyone on the board makes a point of posting their musical tastes and interests all the time, so I have no idea.

and Mark has good taste, but being young it seems to be limited to stuff from in and around the last 10 or 15 years or so. (not a knock, just an observation btw) Most of the music I love comes from before then (plus I give him one demerit for not liking Frank Sinatra! :) )

xyzzy
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I think that the only opinions that I don't really respect are people that rule out entire genres of music, i.e. "I hate all country/rap/pop/whatever." To me, that person just isn't open to music.

Tom Burgos
03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I think that the only opinions that I don't really respect are people that rule out entire genres of music, i.e. "I hate all country/rap/pop/whatever." To me, that person just isn't open to music.

I agree with that.
And to be honest, as a teenager, I used to be like that "I hate all jazz!" "I hate all country"...little did I know the wealth of amazing music I was missing out on due to my stupid lil trend-leaning teenage ways...

TheTravis!
03-13-2006, 09:28 AM
and Mark has good taste, but being young it seems to be limited to stuff from in and around the last 10 or 15 years or so.

And Mark, as much as I love him, thinks that anything he doesn't like sucks. One of the hallmarks of musical taste, for me, is the ability to recognize excellence in things that you, yourself, don't particularly like.

Tom Burgos
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Who's Mark?

TheTravis!
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Who's Mark?

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/member.php?u=87

xyzzy
03-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree with that.
And to be honest, as a teenager, I used to be like that "I hate all jazz!" "I hate all country"...little did I know the wealth of amazing music I was missing out on due to my stupid lil trend-leaning teenage ways...

Oh, me too. I was in the "I hate country" crowd when I was a teen because it was cool to do so. But I was a stupid kid then, so that's my excuse. Now, I love it.

Justin.Strange
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
found this while goofing around the net.

The music portion of SXSW [the South by Southwest festival] starts in a couple of days and, to "celebrate", I wanted to let everyone know that you can download MP3s for over 900 of the 1300 or so bands playing here. You have to use bittorrent, since this is obviously a gigantic file. It's an amazing way to discover new artists and those up-and-coming buzz bands that you will be hearing all about next year.

http://2006.sxsw.com/toolbox/schedules/ipod/

King of Mars
03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Me. I have a great shitty music detector and my tastes are pretty damn diverse.