PDA

View Full Version : BENDIS BOOK: Powers #17

dEnny!
03-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Bendis & Oeming's newest issue of POWERS comes out today. Tell us what you thought.

Oeming
03-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I had no idea this came out today!

dEnny!
03-08-2006, 05:31 AM
I had no idea this came out today!

Oops...I wasn't supposed to tell you. :scared: Bendis is going to be SOOO mad!

DeluxeVoltron
03-08-2006, 07:32 AM
im kinda half in and half out of this story. ive always loved bendy for his crime/mystery stories (and his beautiful head). powers has become my only fix for such stories from the man but this current storyline doesnt really have any of those elements to it. i liked how the powers division was the cleanup for all the over the top superpowered battles of the type i see in most of my comics. they danced on the periphery of the heroes and villains, matching their deeds with wit and perseverence. now the main characters BOTH have powers and i feel like its become . . . well just another superhero book. but putting it that way makes it soud worse than it is. im still buying and enjoying it. id just like to see the investigative side of the book return within the year.

anybody else foresee a superbattle between deena and walker?

tdaniel
03-08-2006, 09:45 AM
anybody else foresee a superbattle between deena and walker?

indeed, it shall come to pass, if only to "restore" Deena's precarious sanity. I don't foresee a death match necessarily, but the book seems to heading into really dark territory at least as far as our 2 characters are concerned.

What also seems interesting is that I think we've all assumed Walker "got his powers back" - but what powers? We've yet to witness what he might be capable of (or not), and assuming they'll be the same as before is, well, I just can't imagine that being true.

Another point maybe worth discussion; check the panel in Legends where Wolfe implodes/explodes...notice his power spiriling out in arcing tendrils...notice that first Deena cowers then reaches out to touch one of the beams...I'm going with the premise that Bug did not infect her, but instead awoke either what Olympia gave her (sketchy), or what she received from that Wolfe moment...

Anyone care to further these notions or re-route me?

greg donovan
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
i am so sick of...

that was pretty damn funny. what a wound up cranky son of a bitch. had a bit of a bad day while scripting this one BENDIS!?

i like the theory that deena has come up with regarding her powers.

walker seems to be the most powerfull individual we have seen in the series so far. that was a pretty damn impressive fight.

i imagine walker and deena will be called to investigate the murders at the bar. boy is that gonna be ackward.

interesting direction for the book to take. seems to be adding a bit of hero noir on top of its crime noir. i like it.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Absolutely loved this issue and I can't wait to see where this goes with Deena and her powers, and Walker's new responsibilities. Great cover. Can't wait for the next one.

Shwicaz
03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
i imagine walker and deena will be called to investigate the murders at the bar. boy is that gonna be ackward.

Oh my god!!!!

I never even thought of that as a possibility.

Nice homage (did I spell that right? ) cover. I have been enjoying them immensely, Mike!!

The fight in space was all shwilly-zam-a blamma (that's a compliment, and you can feel free to use that quote on the cover, Bendis ;-) )

and I feel like an ass, because the colorists name is escaping me :Oops: , but he has added an extra level in this arc.

Kudos all around for an outrageous rant, a battle among the stars, and a little bit of the old ultra violence. ;)

greg donovan
03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh my god!!!!

Nice homage (did I spell that right? ) cover. I have been enjoying them immensely, Mike!!

The fight in space was all shwilly-zam-a blamma (that's a compliment, and you can feel free to use that quote on the cover, Bendis ;-) )

and I feel like an ass, because the colorists name is escaping me :Oops: , but he has added an extra level in this arc.

Kudos all around for an outrageous rant, a battle among the stars, and a little bit of the old ultra violence. ;)

holy shit!

ron has liked hulk and walker in space. that is a big accomplishment BENDIS!

Shwicaz
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
holy shit!

ron has liked hulk and walker in space. that is a big accomplishment BENDIS!

yeah, what's up with that shit?

:mistrust:

greg donovan
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
yeah, what's up with that shit?

:mistrust:

space is cool. thats what! before you know it you are gonna be watching battlestar galactica and reading old issues of x-men comics featuring the shi'ar and the starjammers.

Oeming
03-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Anyone notice Andy Lee in the end? The ranter was a friend of mine and british writer TOny Lee was in the bar.
M!

Brian Reed
03-08-2006, 01:23 PM
The scene with Deena approaching the IAD Officer's house actually had me tense. I was afraid of what she was about to do. Damn well done, guys.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 01:28 PM
The scene with Deena approaching the IAD Officer's house actually had me tense. I was afraid of what she was about to do. Damn well done, guys.
Yeah, I thought she was going to go for it. Well played.

Xander Boune
03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
indeed, it shall come to pass, if only to "restore" Deena's precarious sanity.

I don't think Deena is redeemable as a protagonist character. I thought murdering her ex-boyfriend and then covering it up was a point of no return, and the events of this issue pretty much solidify that. It looked like she was planning to wack the internal investigations albino, and instead she recieved her energy "fix" and murdered a bunch of people at the bar. Regardless of all the shit that she's had to endure, I can't really see her as a sympathetic character anymore, and I look forward to her getting her comeuppance.

That said, I thought this was a spectacular issue and a great installment to an already mind-blowing arc. I was one of those who thought the second volume wasn't living up to the first one, but since #10 or so this book is best it's ever been. Love the writing, the art, the space battle, Deena's continuing decent into vilany, everything. Best comic of the week.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think Deena is redeemable as a protagonist character. I thought murdering her ex-boyfriend and then covering it up was a point of no return, and the events of this issue pretty much solidify that. It looked like she was planning to wack the internal investigations albino, and instead she recieved her energy "fix" and murdered a bunch of people at the bar. Regardless of all the shit that she's had to endure, I can't really see her as a sympathetic character anymore, and I look forward to her getting her comeuppance.

That said, I thought this was a spectacular issue and a great installment to an already mind-blowing arc. I was one of those who thought the second volume wasn't living up to the first one, but since #10 or so this book is best it's ever been. Love the writing, the art, the space battle, Deena's continuing decent into vilany, everything. Best comic of the week.
I don't think Deena can receive full comeuppance, as you put it, without the title ending. Powers just would not be the same if Walker or Deena were completely out of the picture. Walker was off the force for a year, but not in terms of actual issues. Something major has to go down for her to get out of this, so I'm interested in seeing what that is.

Wastrel
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think Deena can receive full comeuppance, as you put it, without the title ending. Powers just would not be the same if Walker or Deena were completely out of the picture. Walker was off the force for a year, but not in terms of actual issues. Something major has to go down for her to get out of this, so I'm interested in seeing what that is.maybe she will recieve her full comeuppance and the title will end.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 02:20 PM
maybe she will recieve her full comeuppance and the title will end.
Possibly. But hopefully that won't happen for a while yet. There's still too much that could happen.

xyzzy
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
im kinda half in and half out of this story. ive always loved bendy for his crime/mystery stories (and his beautiful head). powers has become my only fix for such stories from the man but this current storyline doesnt really have any of those elements to it. i liked how the powers division was the cleanup for all the over the top superpowered battles of the type i see in most of my comics. they danced on the periphery of the heroes and villains, matching their deeds with wit and perseverence. now the main characters BOTH have powers and i feel like its become . . . well just another superhero book. but putting it that way makes it soud worse than it is. im still buying and enjoying it. id just like to see the investigative side of the book return within the year.

This is pretty much how I feel, as well. It's not a bad book, but it's not the Powers that got me into comics, either.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
This is pretty much how I feel, as well. It's not a bad book, but it's not the Powers that got me into comics, either.
I think this is a fresh, and unexpected twist for the series. I didn't expect them to each get powers when I started reading it, and I certainly didn't expect Walker to get his powers back.

Oeming
03-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Maybe this is a bad example, but I read Sandman and I love it. I dont like the issues where he isnt the center of it, but theres a whole bunch of those issues- but I know thats only part of the book and the parts I like are better because of the larger picture.
Powers isnt a superhero book any more than it is a book monkey fucking, immortals, kung fu or the Media, and yet its all those too. Its a broad picture book.

or its about superheroes:)

greg donovan
03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe this is a bad example, but I read Sandman and I love it. I dont like the issues where he isnt the center of it, but theres a whole bunch of those issues- but I know thats only part of the book and the parts I like are better because of the larger picture.
Powers isnt a superhero book any more than it is a book monkey fucking, immortals, kung fu or the Media, and yet its all those too. Its a broad picture book.

whatever it is i dont want it to stop. ever!

walker is younger looking isnt he?

Simps
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Very well said, you summed up my feelings.

Gavin
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM

No kidding. This is a great book, and Walker did look younger. Maybe from having his powers restored.

Oeming
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Thanks. Yes, when he's in his "hero mode" Im drawing him a bit younger looking. I figured it effects him on a psychological level.

I dont know if anyone noticed, but after Zora's death, where walker recieved a small scar on his left temple- that scar pretty much stayed there until the move to Marvel. The idea is that scars and such are phychological for Walker, so it can effect his look.

Brian Reed
03-08-2006, 03:29 PM

I thought it was a book about nude scenes Bendis didn't write :D

Oeming
03-08-2006, 03:32 PM
that happened ONCE and now Ive made it my business to happen as often as possible:)

Gavin
03-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks. Yes, when he's in his "hero mode" Im drawing him a bit younger looking. I figured it effects him on a psychological level.

I dont know if anyone noticed, but after Zora's death, where walker recieved a small scar on his left temple- that scar pretty much stayed there until the move to Marvel. The idea is that scars and such are phychological for Walker, so it can effect his look.
I hadn't noticed the scar, but now I'm going to have to go back and look for it. The art in the entire issue is great, but the panel where Deena is fighting Andy, and it's a close-up of her angry face. Great stuff. But the best was the full page of Retro Girl and Walker flying in the city to go fight the alien. Best page of the issue.

The Human Target
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
It was fucking great. I love the book because I've come to believe that it can take me anywhere, from cops to monky fucking to cops to capes. Great stuff. I want to see where this all leads. I guess I'm a still more on Deena's side. I was alright with her whacking her boyfriend, and now she's sliding down a pretty dark fucking slope. So fun to read. The art was great. Walker does totally look a decade younger.

Great book.

xyzzy
03-08-2006, 03:43 PM

Well, it's not like I'm dropping the book or anything. And I have no idea how this story plays out, so it may turn out to be my favorite. Who knows? Just saying that the thing about Powers that made me a comics fan (that is, the idea of what happens on the fringes of the superhero world) don't seem to be playing out in this storyline.

luckofthedraw
03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
huh...
it doesnt really seem that the threat deena might pose would be under walker's jurisdiction, y'know?
more callista's thing.

Xander Boune
03-08-2006, 05:02 PM
huh...
it doesnt really seem that the threat deena might pose would be under walker's jurisdiction, y'know?
more callista's thing.

He may be a Millenium Guard in his spare time, but Walker is still a homocide detective assigned to powers cases. And Deena left lots of burnt bodies lying around.

Deej
03-08-2006, 06:03 PM

I feel like we're in the minority here because I totally agree with you.

I liked the scene with Deena outside of the IAD officer's house. I could feel Deena's desperation with ending the investigation by taking her out and then when seeing the child, a moment of "what the fuck am I doing?"

This arc is really lagging and I keep hoping for some kind of conclusion to it. I miss the Walker-Pilgrim cop partnership and their banter. I fear that this is slowly moving to a superhero comic book...I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm definitely here until the end of this arc at least.

BTW...I seem to be the only one who was lost during Walker's confrontation with the alien. I really couldn't follow what was happening here.

tdaniel
03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Highlights abound -

"I'm sick of the theory that there are no ideas new ideas - I'm sick of living in a world where so many people actually think that.

Walker's first information download...fun.

Walker's emotion - at his realization. I imagine this to be like receiving news you won the lottery or when cancer goes into remission.

Oeming's space battle sequence and the Deanna/Andy Lee sequence...pretty powerful and pitch perfect economy.

Finally, Pantazis coloring. This dude is doing some heavy lifting lately. Seriously excellent work.

And well, they were kind enough to plug the P!Online site once again. Thanks Brian & Mike!

Oh and maybe Deanna is too far gone for redemption, but she has to be one of the most fully realized characters in comics.

Tim

kokorozashi
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I thought it was a book about nude scenes Bendis didn't write :D
I was telling my GF about #17 earlier tonight, and when I told her it was awesome, her first reaction, without missing a beat, was: "Oh, so it's got lots of naked people in it?" I suspect this is a very good reflection on both of us. And yes, my GF reads Powers. And loves it. I have already forgiven your jealousy.

kokorozashi
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Anyway, I really logged in to say this: I’m an old man. I don’t jump up and down with enthusiasm very often. For Powers #17, I made an exception. I loved the tear. I love that Callista just kept up (somehow). And I am sorely confused about Deena, which I suspect is right where you want me. I must say I would be a little worried that in lesser hands this could drift toward a mere mainstream cape book, but I trust you guys to have a much better plan than solving the same problems as Superman.

SteveZegers
03-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Such good stuff. The image of Walker and Retrogirl flying over the city was so beautiful. One of my favorites so far.

And then you compare that beautiful "light" picture to all the darkness surrounding it with Deena... It's like a hug followed by a gut punch.

I really couldn't ask for more in a comic.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 04:50 AM
indeed, it shall come to pass, if only to "restore" Deena's precarious sanity. I don't foresee a death match necessarily, but the book seems to heading into really dark territory at least as far as our 2 characters are concerned.

What also seems interesting is that I think we've all assumed Walker "got his powers back" - but what powers? We've yet to witness what he might be capable of (or not), and assuming they'll be the same as before is, well, I just can't imagine that being true.

Another point maybe worth discussion; check the panel in Legends where Wolfe implodes/explodes...notice his power spiriling out in arcing tendrils...notice that first Deena cowers then reaches out to touch one of the beams...I'm going with the premise that Bug did not infect her, but instead awoke either what Olympia gave her (sketchy), or what she received from that Wolfe moment...

Anyone care to further these notions or re-route me?
I asked about that very thing in a q and a a while ago. I noted that the exploding Wolf energies cascaded all over Deena and wonder if that was anything. I think Bendis replied that it didn't help anything or something to that effect.

I felt so bad for Deena. She fully intended to take care of the IA investigator at her home. And the fact that she didn't because of the kid shows that she's not on auto-pilot and can still make decisions. The two partners are now moving in seperate directions yet they have to meet again. I believe that Deena is much more powerful than she knows and I'm not sure what it'd take to stop her if need be. Walker will likely be so distracted by his new duties that he won't notive her until his senses discover a new threat and its her. Or maybe Retrogirl II will find her first...

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Oh my god!!!!

This is how you do comics. To have followed the series from the start, this issue really gives you a big payoff. To see what's become of Walker and Deena at this stage was just...wow. What a curveball. I do not envy folks who buy Powers as tpb because I enjoy seeing this unfold as it happens new, and so I have time to process each new installment. Curious what people will think who read this arc in one sitting.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Anyone notice Andy Lee in the end? The ranter was a friend of mine and british writer TOny Lee was in the bar.
M!
Yeah, my buddy said "hey isn't that Andy Lee?" I said yeah that's what it says, but he told me to look at it again and sure enough it was Andy Lee.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 04:58 AM

But remember all the good times we had with Deena! That's the tough part, we've seen Deena for so long that her decline is hard to watch and that much more unfortunate.

greg donovan
03-09-2006, 06:12 AM
But remember all the good times we had with Deena! That's the tough part, we've seen Deena for so long that her decline is hard to watch and that much more unfortunate.

that is what makes it so fascinating to read. i wonder if bendis is using the "tear her down so he can build her back up" strategy w/deena?

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
that is what makes it so fascinating to read. i wonder if bendis is using the "tear her down so he can build her back up" strategy w/deena?
Something tells me no. I'm figuring this time that "sometimes otherwise good people make a series of really bad choices" is the lesson we're about to be reminded of.

Xander Boune
03-09-2006, 08:38 AM

Don't get me wrong, I liked the character and find her current situation tragic. The fact that Deena was such a likeable character before she became a killer is what's making her fall all the more compelling. I'm just saying that the character is beyond redemption at this point (barring any kind of cop-out like mind control or her powers making her evil). If she's killed innocent people under her own free will, she needs and deserves to be brought/put down.

greg donovan
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Don't get me wrong, I liked the character and find her current situation tragic. The fact that Deena was such a likeable character before she became a killer is what's making her fall all the more compelling. I'm just saying that the character is beyond redemption at this point (barring any kind of cop-out like mind control or her powers making her evil). If she's killed innocent people under her own free will, she needs and deserves to be brought/put down.

was anyone she killed really innocent? i could see walker looking the other way. probably wont happen but i could see him doing it. he is allready breaking the law by helping callista act as a hero w/out arrestinng her the way he is supposed to. granted that isnt the same as killing. we are in some heavy shades of gray right now.

cop shows replace partners all the time. i could definately see deena being replaced for a while.

i am glad that there is some power back in powers. forever was my favorite arc of the entire series so far. it would be cool if walker had his memory of his entire life restored.

greg donovan
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Something tells me no. I'm figuring this time that "sometimes otherwise good people make a series of really bad choices" is the lesson we're about to be reminded of.

i could see it go that way too.

that is one of the things i love about this series. anything is possible, and you can make a effective argument to support any possible direction the series could go.

Deej
03-09-2006, 01:40 PM
was anyone she killed really innocent? i could see walker looking the other way. probably wont happen but i could see him doing it. he is allready breaking the law by helping callista act as a hero w/out arrestinng her the way he is supposed to. granted that isnt the same as killing. we are in some heavy shades of gray right now.

cop shows replace partners all the time. i could definately see deena being replaced for a while.

i am glad that there is some power back in powers. forever was my favorite arc of the entire series so far. it would be cool if walker had his memory of his entire life restored.

I don't think there's any way in hell that Walker is going to look the other way if he finds out that Deena has killed people, whether innocent or not. Walker doesn't see it as breaking the law by helping Callista, I think he feels the world needs superheroes and that he's helping make the world a safer place. That's just my 2 cents.

Dr. Omega
03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Not to be nitpicky, Tim, but Super Shock is the one who may have given Deena powers, not Olympia. She never met him when he was alive. She only met his corpse after he died screwing the red head.

I still love Powers, and I have faith in BMB and Mike, but I still don't know if I like this new change or not. I generally don't like it when a writer takes a character out of their element. I know it adds drama and all, but usually it goes on way too long. Wonder Woman in space for 6 months was the stupidest arc I have ever seen. Every once in awhile, Batman fights Ra's in the desert. It just never works for me. Batman is an urban commando. Having him walk around in the desert in a bat outfit with a long cape just looks silly.

Walker with powers is cool, but all this space stuff? I just don't know.. I get excited about it, but then when I think about it, I miss the cop drama and the banter. Can Walker still be Walker now that he has Powers again and his spirit is rejuvenated? We've never seen him without massive tradgedy in his life.

It looks like Callista has her proper costume back. Doesn't explain why she had the classic Retro costume on at the end of issue #16. I also noticed a coloring glitch in one panel where Walker's costume has flesh tone for his neck/shoulder area.

When I first saw the costume download scene, I was a bit sad that his powers would all stem from the suit, like Green Lantern's ring, but then I remembered in the last book where they did physically transform him. So I guess the suit is a tool that helps with the powers they gave him. He said, "I got my powers back." I wonder, does this mean he got his Diamond Powers back with the addition of the power of the suit, or that he has all new powers?

Ironically, at lunch yesterdayI was doodling a pic of the Millenium Guard ala The GL Corps and was trying to figure out how Mike would design aliens. I have been studying his style for some doodles I have been doing lately. Sure enough, we get 3 instances of what his aliens look like in this book. I don't like the Chirmut, though. The lack of feet/pointed ankles, while different, just doesn't make any logical sense as a matter of genetic evolution. I can see no forseeable reason why this race would evolve like this. There is no practicallity to it. The Kliklit and the Quili are cool, though.

The other thing that blew my drawing all to hell is that the Guard do not wear the same outfit. At least seeing the previous Millenium's yellow and red outfit was consistant with Issue #15 where the suit looked to be yellow. I also like the Millenium symbol. It reminded me of a cross between the GL logo and Dr. Fate's Ankhs.

I have no idea where they are taking Deena. She has always been rather violent, and Cross and Walker have always tolerated it, but now she is a mass murderer. Has she crossed the line? Technically, everyone she has killed has been a bad person. The fact that she thought about killing Stone and all that at the end about power vampires makes me think Bug actually did his job and made her addicted to the power. I think she needs to rob others of their power and take a hit, so to speak. Lots of ways they could go with this. Maybe the next arc will open a year from now when she is out of addiction counselling and Walker agrees to feed her minimal amounts of Millenium energy to take the edge off, but nothing more, like methadone for heroin addicts. It does look like they are painting her into a corner, though. She is on the covers to the next several books, so it doesn't look like she is going anywhere, but I just can't see how this will be resolved without readers hating her. Maybe this isn't the real Deena (shapeshifter, perhaps?) and the real one is still in a Supershock induced coma. Maybe this is all a bad hallucination and Walker never really got powers either. Who knows? Whatever the case may be, I know we are in for a helluva ride.. I get the feeling that this arc may end with Deena at the mike in that open mike club. Just a guess..

Dr. Ω

Shannon Chenoweth
03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, I LOVED the issue. Lots going on.
That said, I'm starting to dislike Deena. Yes, you heard me right, me, a big Deena fan starting to dislike said character. Her actions are starting to rub me the wrong way. Yeah, I know what happened to her isn't her fault, but geez, wtf is she doing? This isn't her at all. Which begs the question, is Deena in her right mind? Maybe she isn't. Either way, she needs help big time. And, the one guy who can do this is wrapped up in his own stuff. Hopefully, he'll be able to do something to help her before she goes even further down this downward spiral.

FlashG69
03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Long-time board reader, first time poster.

I was wondering if this is just me or not. But, for those of you who watch The Shield, doesn't Deena right now remind you of Vic Mackey? I love both characters, and they are basically good people, but they are bad cops. They both have killed people they shouldn't, even though they killed bad people. They are both getting investigated by Internal Affairs right now for their actions. They are both headed down a path they can never return from.

Just my opinion.

Lord Jermaine Retail
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM

I was wondering if this is just me or not. But, for those of you who watch The Shield, doesn't Deena right now remind you of Vic Mackey? I love both characters, and they are basically good people, but they are bad cops. They both have killed people they shouldn't, even though they killed bad people. They are both getting investigated by Internal Affairs right now for their actions. They are both headed down a path they can never return from.

Just my opinion.
Interesting but Mackie usually has some kind of plan or plates spinning. Meaning that everything he does is for some reason. Deena is backed into a corner and thinks that she can "get rid of people" and then the problem goes away. The problem being that she has done things that are impossible to ignore and of course certain people are looking into it. I don't think Deena is going to become a renegade cop or vigilante. She seems to first want to get rid of people who are threatening her, then maybe anyone she blames for the way things are right now. People do that all the time, but I still feel bad for the character. Even now, because I do not think there is any way that she can get out of this in one piece.

Shannon Chenoweth
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM

Just my opinion.

Well, yes and no. I know Bendis loves The Shield, so him playing with some aspects of the show in Powers isn't surprising. Every creator gets ideas from everything.
That said, while bits of ideas may have come from the show, I think Deena is headed down a completely different path. Like I was saying above, she never asked for the powers she now has. Mackey doesn't have anyone but himself to blame for the position he now finds himself in, whereas Deena can rightfully pass off the intial blame. As far as the powers go, when you think about it, her getting them helps her relate to Walker even more. He didn't ask for what he's dealing with now either. Now, what she has done with this power is what is in question. Is she in her right mind? I think that's the main question I have. Deena is definitely a more pissed off person now more than ever.

Welcome to the board!

JD
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I am not a fan of where this book is going...I loved this book and have been reading since issue 2 of the image series so ive been around...the things that I loved about it, as someothers have said is that it was a crime book that just happened to have superheroes in it...Now with Deena and Walker both having Powers its just become superhero book...which looks like its heading towards an inevitable and sales reaching Fav Hero vs New Fav Villian clash...its not a "fresh and original turn" as some would say it reeks of pandering...and the whole GL thing is lame as well....I dont mind revamps of concepts in a book like Supreme Power where the idea is to update and explore old concepts but to take a main charachter from a noir book and place him in a thinly veiled Green lantern rip off, well it just doesnt work...least not for me...Im waiting this arc out cause I have enjoyed the book for a long time and I dont want to give up on it, but man this reeks like a clone saga
JD

TheTravis!
03-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I am so fucking amazed at the twists and turns this book goes through. Every three arcs or so, Bendis just completely torques it into a brand new book.

I HATE the idea of Walker as a cosmic hero. But I am so interested in where the story is going, that I don't even care!

Wastrel
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
what i want to know is, if walker has been around since the beginning of mankind, why did these aliens burn through 417 other guys in 300 years before they got to him? is he that shitty of an option? :-? :D

kokorozashi
03-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I was wondering if this is just me or not. But, for those of you who watch The Shield, doesn't Deena right now remind you of Vic Mackey? I love both characters, and they are basically good people, but they are bad cops. They both have killed people they shouldn't, even though they killed bad people. They are both getting investigated by Internal Affairs right now for their actions. They are both headed down a path they can never return from.Vic is a bad guy who wants to be a good guy but repeatedly fails. It's OK to like watching a bad guy. Just don't kid yourself that he's merely "troubled." Deena is troubled. She is seriously FITH right now. It will be very interesting to see if she pulls out of it and how. Vic will never pull out of it.

greg donovan
03-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I am so fucking amazed at the twists and turns this book goes through. Every three arcs or so, Bendis just completely torques it into a brand new book.

I HATE the idea of Walker as a cosmic hero. But I am so interested in where the story is going, that I don't even care!

i agree w/you about everything except the hatred of walker being a cosmic hero. i think its awesome and adds such a interesting layer to the book. i cant wait to see how this plays out.

simon trent
03-10-2006, 04:38 PM
i like everything with this storyline except the stand up scenes. why the hell are they necessary? this is just wasted space as far as i'm concerned....unless there is a point that i'm not aware of yet.

deena is crazy and it makes me tense and sad to see her fall further and further. i'm interested to see what is going to happen to walker. this does change everything about the comic in some ways. i bought this to see cops solve superhero crimes and now they are superheros. will is go back?

i like how i don't know what the fuck is coming up next.
http://nin.com/current/photos/2_18_06.jpg

kubiak
03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Deena is one of my favorite characters in comics and I hate what she's going through right now. I can't wait to see where the story is going though! It's almost frustrating seeing her go down this spiral and not being able to do anything to stop it.

TheTravis!
03-12-2006, 08:45 AM
i agree w/you about everything except the hatred of walker being a cosmic hero. i think its awesome and adds such a interesting layer to the book. i cant wait to see how this plays out.

I just don't like cosmic characters.

TheYanni
03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I just wanna say the latest issue blew me away, after the last issue was a bit confusing, and I think I finally see where Powers is ultimately going.

I see people are complaining that Powers is becoming less and less a crime series involving superheroes, and more just superheroes. Basically complaining that the series hassn't kept the same status quo. But I believe this is a good thing he's doing something that you can't do in any other major industry book. I mean Superman is always gonna be about a guy from Krypton who saves people, and as much as we like to think lasting change will be made, its temporary, gets reconned, just forgotten, or doesn't matter. Powers is one book that you have basically no idea what could happen next. But I believe that Powers is a story with a beginning middle and end, a long story to be true, an epic if you will. They started as friends, good friends, now they are starting to break apart. One heading towards the light, the other toward darkness. Which I think is pretty obviously gonna come down to an epic confrontation. This book is slowly becoming more and more than what it originally began as, and i can't wait to see where it goes. Now this could be a few issues away or another 20 issues down the line. But it will never be like any other comic on the market.

As for those who hate Cosmic stuff, Powers will never be about Walker and the Millenium Guard going around in space stopping cosmic badguys, pretty sure no one has to worry about that.

Oeming
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Remember when people were complaining it was ANOTHER issue of cops investigating murders- AGAIN?

Honestly, we havnt lost focus, we simply have a broad canvass to paint is all.

greg donovan
03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Remember when people were complaining it was ANOTHER issue of cops investigating murders- AGAIN?

there is no way to make everyone happy. i am so glad you and BENDIS! only try to make yourselves happy with this book.

InigoMontoya
03-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I really like the way the artwork changes between Deena and Walkers stories. When I first saw it I stopped and checked the credits to see if there was a different artist :)

I wonder if Powers is going down a “daredevil” route with Deena. I really hope she doesn’t go to jail; all the villains that she interrogated might no welcome her. Though it would be cool to read.

chazbot
03-14-2006, 07:06 AM
I am not a fan of where this book is going...I loved this book and have been reading since issue 2 of the image series so ive been around...the things that I loved about it, as someothers have said is that it was a crime book that just happened to have superheroes in it...Now with Deena and Walker both having Powers its just become superhero book...which looks like its heading towards an inevitable and sales reaching Fav Hero vs New Fav Villian clash...its not a "fresh and original turn" as some would say it reeks of pandering...and the whole GL thing is lame as well....I dont mind revamps of concepts in a book like Supreme Power where the idea is to update and explore old concepts but to take a main charachter from a noir book and place him in a thinly veiled Green lantern rip off, well it just doesnt work...least not for me...Im waiting this arc out cause I have enjoyed the book for a long time and I dont want to give up on it, but man this reeks like a clone saga
JD

I can understand how people can be frustrated with the direction of the series, but i think writing off what they are doing as rip offs is not doing the creators justice. Perhaps Bendis always wanted to write GL and can't because of his Marvel contract, but perhaps he wants to do something better than Supreme Power where the powers are first and characters are second (regardless of who is writing it).
oh yeh, and if you mean this reeks of clone saga, do you mean the series seems heavily controlled by a group of editors who are trying to stretch a story out as long as possible over four titles and ruining storylines that happened 15-20 years before? cause if that is what you mean... i dunno, we'll have to wait a few years to see. :twisted:

Dr. Omega
03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Powers is going down a “daredevil” route with Deena. I really hope she doesn’t go to jail; all the villains that she interrogated might no welcome her. Though it would be cool to read.
OOOOooooooo. I never thought about that! That could be interesting..

Dr. Ω

TheTravis!
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM

And one of those things you are painting on that canvas is a giant glowing pussy.

I bet your family is proud of you. :)

Atomic Dumbass
03-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I like where it's going.

So what if things change? We know what Walker and Deena do at work. Let's see some more of this new stuff. Change is what makes a story. A lack of change results in Gilligan or the Brady Bunch.

The more change the better. These guys know how to handle it.