PDA

View Full Version : Dave Chappelle's Block Party, anyone?

Simps
03-06-2006, 09:51 AM
My friend wants to go see this, but I really don't have any interest in seeing this. I know it has something to do with him interview rappers (I hate rap), or something? And that it was directed by Michel Gondry, but I hated Eternal Sunshine. Is it any good, or should I try to convince her to go see 16 Blocks or one of the 460 movies in my DVD collection instead?

Mister Mets
03-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I saw it, and though it was all right.

It's basically half performances by the type of musical guests he'd have on Chapelle's show, and half his organizing the event/ getting people to come.
Entertaining, but there's better material in your DVD collection (especially if you have The Last Waltz.)

Simps
03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I saw it, and though it was all right.

It's basically half performances by the type of musical guests he'd have on Chapelle's show, and half his organizing the event/ getting people to come.
Entertaining, but there's better material in your DVD collection (especially if you have The Last Waltz.)
NOOO, I don't have it, but I did see that on New Year's Eve. I had never seen it before and I was fascinated by it. I feel like I should go buy that, especially since I was drunk/stoned at the time of watching it.

Blake Sims
03-06-2006, 10:15 AM
you hated Eternal Sunshine?!

allanpat
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I hated Eternal Sunshine too - didn't know it was the same director as Block Party though.

As for the rap thing - about 50% of the movie is musical performances, but it's all interwoven with Chappelle into a sort of overall story on why, not only the music is relevant, but the message as well. There's a lot more to it than just watching a concert.

Bottom line, if you like Chappelle Show, you'll like this movie even if you're not into hip hop. If you're into Mos Def, The Roots, etc... you'll fucking LOVE the movie.

Blake Sims
03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Bottom line, if you like Chappelle Show, you'll like this movie even if you're not into hip hop. If you're into Mos Def, The Roots, etc... you'll fucking LOVE the movie.
what about the Fugees?!

allanpat
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
My friend wants to go see this, but I really don't have any interest in seeing this. I know it has something to do with him interview rappers (I hate rap), or something? And that it was directed by Michel Gondry, but I hated Eternal Sunshine. Is it any good, or should I try to convince her to go see 16 Blocks or one of the 460 movies in my DVD collection instead?

oh & by the way, your other options at the movie theater right now are watching Beyonce try to act in Pink Panther & some movie with Paul Walker & a bunch of wolves in Alaska or some shit.

go see block party, you'll be happy you did

allanpat
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
what about the Fugees?!

shhh! you'll ruin the ending!

nihilance
It's a secret?

Blake Sims
oops! I thought it was well known they were in it?

nihilance
03-06-2006, 10:41 AM
So did I.

I mean...I knew and I've barely read anything on the film and haven't seen it yet either.

allanpat
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM

it is, i was just being facetious

Blake Sims
03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
it is, i was just being facetious
oh you

:auidence applause:
:cut to commercial:

TonyFleecs
03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
what about the Fugees?!
My favorite part about the fugees was that they came out with a song from Blunted on reality and not one from the Score. I don't know why but I love it when people do stuff fron the album that didn't sell 300 million copys.

My favorite Dave part of the movie, "PUSSYHOLE"!

andrew french
03-06-2006, 11:53 AM
you hated eternal sunshine?

wait, he is doing this movie?

christ.

andrew french
03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I hated Eternal Sunshine too - didn't know it was the same director as Block Party though.

As for the rap thing - about 50% of the movie is musical performances, but it's all interwoven with Chappelle into a sort of overall story on why, not only the music is relevant, but the message as well. There's a lot more to it than just watching a concert.

hmm, i like hip hop, particularly mos def and the roots.

and i loved eternal sunshine.