PDA

View Full Version : Secret War

Gavin
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Just finished reading it on my lunch break. I know a some of you didn't care for how it turned out. I was just wondering what about it, specifically, did people not like. I really enjoyed it. I thought Nick Fury was great, and I felt like it moved along quite well. I would have liked a wrap of that Luke Cage was going to be ok, but I image that's handled in the Secret War Pulse issues. I really liked Cap's secret war outfit. Not that I want that to be his permanent outfit, but it was really cool looking.

Gavin
03-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Nobody has anything to say about this, or has it all been said before in other threads. I know there's the sticky about the HC, but I'd like to get some other opinions on this.

GelfXIII
03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Just finished reading it on my lunch break. I know a some of you didn't care for how it turned out. I was just wondering what about it, specifically, did people not like. I really enjoyed it. I thought Nick Fury was great, and I felt like it moved along quite well. I would have liked a wrap of that Luke Cage was going to be ok, but I image that's handled in the Secret War Pulse issues. I really liked Cap's secret war outfit. Not that I want that to be his permanent outfit, but it was really cool looking.

My main complaint is that it wasn't the story it was pitched to be. It built up this whole interesting back story about what happened in Latveria, but it never went there. Keep in mind that I haven't read it since it was coming out, and even then it was so broken up by long delays that it was impossible to become vested in the story. I loved the art, for the most part, but the the story jumped track halfway through and never got up a head of steam as far as I was concerned. I'm willing to bet it flowed better in the trade, but I didn't care enough to want to inflict it on myself again.

Artie Pink
03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Like with a lot of Bendis' Avengers stuff, just try describing "what happened" out loud to someone. It sounds ridiculous, because very little actually happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still had fun and there were plenty of fun dialogue bits along the way.

Flonk
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Great book. I enjoyed the crap out of it.

Though the art (while good) I didn't think was worth the wait.

Gavin
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Like with a lot of Bendis' Avengers stuff, just try describing "what happened" out loud to someone. It sounds ridiculous, because very little actually happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still had fun and there were plenty of fun dialogue bits along the way.
I can understand that. A lot was described, like all the Latvernia stuff, but I think there was enough other action to make up for this. It probably reads better as a whole rather than a long-delayed series.

ChrisCollins
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
The war itself seemed to be secondary to the aftermath. The retalliation of the villains was cool and it all seemed to building up to a big reveal that the heroes had done something really devious in Latveria. Then it turned out that all they did was knock down a castle on top of the prime minister and they didn't even do it very secretly at all (the only secret about the war was that Fury wiped the heroes' minds). I suspect though that it reads much better as a trade, since the buildup wouldn't seem like so much a letdown.