PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's Dark Tower Comics - interview with Robin Furth

bstie1198
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I was lurking on thedarktower.net (http://thedarktower.net) and noticed someone posted a link to an interview with Robin Furth about her Dark Tower Concordances and her involvement in the Dark Tower comics. There are some interesting tidbits in there about the comics. Most interesting to me are that the first seven issue arc is essentially a retelling of Wizard and Glass, there will be 30 issues in all, and that future arcs will cover the time period between Roland leaving Hambry and the fall of Gilead. It doesn't sound like there will be much direct involvement from Stephen King unless he ends up scripting them...

Link to the interview... (http://www.liljas-library.com/int_robinfurth.html)

nihilance
03-01-2006, 10:35 AM
So the big teaser image should have said "FURTH" with a crown then?

SteveZegers
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I talked with Jae Lee about it quite a bit. Some interesting stuff... very interesting stuff.

bstie1198
03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
So the big teaser image should have said "FURTH" with a crown then?

:lol: It's sounding more and more like that. I've read the concordances. They were pretty good, and I know she's working with Stephen to get the main plot points, but it sounds a lot like it's mostly Robin doing all the plotting and breakdown, then getting a final ok from Stephen. These are looking more an more like licensed properties instead of Stephen King doing more Dark Tower stories. I really hope he finds the time to script them. That'd make it seem more like they're really his stories.

Joe Henderson
03-01-2006, 10:44 AM
30 issues total, the first 7 being a retelling of Wizard and Glass. I was hoping for an original tale first, but hey, still could be cool...

Tim Simmons
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
30 issues total, the first 7 being a retelling of Wizard and Glass. I was hoping for an original tale first, but hey, still could be cool...

I was hoping the same- but, you gotta figure they need to do the "origin" story for the new readers.

bstie1198
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I was hoping the same- but, you gotta figure they need to do the "origin" story for the new readers.

I see that point, but I think they should have had the first issue be an origin (or even better, just include a prose recap page or short section at the beginning) and then get on with the new stuff. The biggest potential this project has is getting people who love Dark Tower and have never read a comic to try them out and see what they have to offer. You're starting out on the wrong foot if you spend the first seven issues telling a story that they've already read. I think that the target audience should be DT fans discovering comics, not comic fans discovering DT. And if you just open up with Roland and his friends on a new adventure, is it really going to be that hard for new readers to pick up who these people are and what they represent?

nihilance
03-01-2006, 12:16 PM
I see that point, but I think they should have had the first issue be an origin (or even better, just include a prose recap page or short section at the beginning) and then get on with the new stuff. The biggest potential this project has is getting people who love Dark Tower and have never read a comic to try them out and see what they have to offer. You're starting out on the wrong foot if you spend the first seven issues telling a story that they've already read. I think that the target audience should be DT fans discovering comics, not comic fans discovering DT. And if you just open up with Roland and his friends on a new adventure, is it really going to be that hard for new readers to pick up who these people are and what they represent?
Well I think the "wrong foot" they are starting on is not having King actually have much of anything to do with the book it seems. Any potential non-comic readers decreased 1000 fold once he decided not to write it himself.

bstie1198
03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Well I think the "wrong foot" they are starting on is not having King actually have much of anything to do with the book it seems. Any potential non-comic readers decreased 1000 fold once he decided not to write it himself.

Touche!

Constant Reader
03-01-2006, 12:19 PM

I don't know...the really rabid DARK TOWER fans are going to recognize Robin Furth's name and contribution to the novel series and be comfortable with it, I think. As for attracting the more "mainstream" Stephen King fan, I don't know that this was going to do it anyway - King himself has said that this series never seemed to catch on with the mainstream the way his other stuff did.

CR

nihilance
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't know...the really rabid DARK TOWER fans are going to recognize Robin Furth's name and contribution to the novel series and be comfortable with it, I think. As for attracting the more "mainstream" Stephen King fan, I don't know that this was going to do it anyway - King himself has said that this series never seemed to catch on with the mainstream the way his other stuff did.

CR
Oh I agree. But there are TONS of fans of Stephen King that aren't necessarily Dark Tower fans. Stephen King is a household name...Dark Tower isn't. Yes you will get a large percentage of Dark Tower fans...but you aren't going to get any casual King fans that aren't familiar with Dark Tower. There are way more "Constant Readers" than there are just Dark Tower fans.

nihilance
03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh I agree. But there are TONS of fans of Stephen King that aren't necessarily Dark Tower fans. Stephen King is a household name...Dark Tower isn't. Yes you will get a large percentage of Dark Tower fans...but you aren't going to get any casual King fans that aren't familiar with Dark Tower. There are way more "Constant Readers" than there are just Dark Tower fans.
Yikes...I didn't even notice your screen name until after I posted. It wasn't a personal jab.

nihilance
03-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I just realized you kind of agreed with what I was saying anyway.

I'm shutting up now.

Constant Reader
03-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Yikes...I didn't even notice your screen name until after I posted. It wasn't a personal jab.

Hahaha, don't worry, I didn't take it as one!

You're absolutely right - there are more of King's "Constant Readers" than Tower fans (I just happen to be both). Still, you gotta know Marvel did/is doing the right thing by hyping this as KING first and DARK TOWER second. Who knows, maybe they'll do such a good job with it that they'll convert some "Constant Readers" into TOWER fans as well.

CR

Constant Reader
03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I just realized you kind of agreed with what I was saying anyway.

I'm shutting up now.

Yeah, I think we just added a page to this thread saying: "You're right!" "No, YOU'RE right!" :lol:

CR

nihilance
03-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Hahaha, don't worry, I didn't take it as one!

You're absolutely right - there are more of King's "Constant Readers" than Tower fans (I just happen to be both). Still, you gotta know Marvel did/is doing the right thing by hyping this as KING first and DARK TOWER second. Who knows, maybe they'll do such a good job with it that they'll convert some "Constant Readers" into TOWER fans as well.

CR
Actually I'm getting the impression that King and Marvel were in talks...Marvel jumped the gun a bit expecting to get him to totally commit to a series that has slowly altered into a glorified book of a licensed property.