PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recording Question

wh park
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
So I'm in the midst of shopping for a DVD recorder and was wondering about the differences between different formats.

So what's the difference between +R and -R?

Which one is better?

I'm thinking of recording TV shows and specials and what not (primarily my wrestling stuff) and keeping things I really want on DVD.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:56 AM
From Wiki:
* DVD-ROM: read only, manufactured by a press
* DVD-R: recordable once
* DVD-RW: rewritable
* DVD-RAM: random access rewritable
* DVD+R: recordable once
* DVD+RW: rewritable
* DVD-R DL: dual layer record once
* DVD+R DL: dual layer record once
* DVD-RW DL: dual layer rewritable
* DVD+RW DL: dual layer rewritable

The "+" (plus) and "-" (dash) are similar technical standards and are partially compatible. As of 2005, both formats are equally popular, with about half of the industry supporting "+", and the other half "-". Around 90% of DVD readers (drives and player) can read the recordable formats, with DVD-R having the best overall compatibility in independent tests. Almost all DVD writers can write both formats and carry both the +RW and DVD-R/RW logos.

wh park
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
From Wiki:
* DVD-ROM: read only, manufactured by a press
* DVD-R: recordable once
* DVD-RW: rewritable
* DVD-RAM: random access rewritable
* DVD+R: recordable once
* DVD+RW: rewritable
* DVD-R DL: dual layer record once
* DVD+R DL: dual layer record once
* DVD-RW DL: dual layer rewritable
* DVD+RW DL: dual layer rewritable

The "+" (plus) and "-" (dash) are similar technical standards and are partially compatible. As of 2005, both formats are equally popular, with about half of the industry supporting "+", and the other half "-". Around 90% of DVD readers (drives and player) can read the recordable formats, with DVD-R having the best overall compatibility in independent tests. Almost all DVD writers can write both formats and carry both the +RW and DVD-R/RW logos.

So what you're saying is that there's really no difference between "+" or "-" DVDs?

I'm leaning towards a Pioneer DVR-533H-S with an 80GB hard drive and one review said it didn't record +R format and so I was wondering if that would be a major negative against it.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
So what you're saying is that there's really no difference between "+" or "-" DVDs?

I'm leaning towards a Pioneer DVR-533H-S with an 80GB hard drive and one review said it didn't record +R format and so I was wondering if that would be a major negative against it.
I favor "+R" for my needs (and I need a lot). I also favor getting an external, or at least getting an internal not packaged with your pc as many companies will hobble a non-professional standard consumer unit to prevent piracy. I can't verify any of that, so caveat emptor.

wh park
02-27-2006, 11:16 AM
I favor "+R" for my needs (and I need a lot). I also favor getting an external, or at least getting an internal not packaged with your pc as many companies will hobble a non-professional standard consumer unit to prevent piracy. I can't verify any of that, so caveat emptor.

Well getting back to my original question then, why do you prefer +R? Does it have more storage space on it than -R?

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Well getting back to my original question then, why do you prefer +R? Does it have more storage space on it than -R?
The difference in the + or minus is apparently related to dye as also from Wiki:
The larger storage capacity of a DVD-R compared to a CD-R is achieved through smaller pit size and smaller track pitch of the groove spiral which guides the laser beam. Consequently, more pits can be written on the same physical sized disc. In order to write smaller pits onto the recording dye layer (see CD-R) a red laser beam with a wavelength of 650 nm (for general use recordable DVD) is used in conjunction with a higher numerical aperture lens. Because of this shorter wavelength, compared to CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R use different dyes to properly absorb this wavelength.

So no, no capacity difference. It's just that the equipment I use all agrees to burn to and play the same stuff ("+R"), where I (just me) cannot say I've had that experience with ("-R"). Wiki says my experience is an aberration.

wh park
02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Ok so based on that (and I'll have to check out the wiki article) I don't think it'll be a problem with this DVDR I buy.

But I'll be asking the sales representative a shit load of questions as well.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Ok so based on that (and I'll have to check out the wiki article) I don't think it'll be a problem with this DVDR I buy.

But I'll be asking the sales representative a shit load of questions as well.
Look up both DVD and DVD-R on wiki to find everything.

Wagon
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM

-R has a slight amount more space than +R (I know this to be true based of an ISO I burned that wouldn't fit on a DVD+R, but would on a -R), but 99.9 times out of 100, the difference is so slight you'll never notice.

wh park
02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Well from reading the Wiki article and checking some other sites out I think the main thing I found out is that +R refers to being able to play or record a regular DVD-R or DVD-RW (re-recordable disc).

I reckon having a hard-drive makes having the ability re-record a DVD kind of moot.