PDA

View Full Version : Best Superhero Movies not based on established comic books

nihilance
02-27-2006, 08:58 AM
After recently watching the very fun Sky High and seeing the trailer for Michael Rappaport's Special I was thinking about some other non-comicbook superhero movies such as The Specials, the old John Ritter one from the early 80's and the upcoming one with Uma Thurman.

What are some other favorites out there?

TheTravis!
02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Condorman!

RODGER
02-27-2006, 09:00 AM
darkman

AAlgar
People will say The Incredibles, but I was not impressed.

Evan the Shaggy
Blankman!

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Unbreakable?

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
The Incredibles was great, but I really have a soft spot for "Unbreakable". The more I watch it, the more it starts to seem like a Bendis comic just put straight up on the screen.

nihilance
People will say The Incredibles, but I was not impressed.
I can't believe I didn't list that one at first.

YouStayClassy
02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Unbreakable, hands down.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
The Matrix

Smokinblues
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Superfuzz!

Or maybe not. I remember liking it as a kid, but it's probably awful

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:03 AM
The Incredibles was great, but I really have a soft spot for "Unbreakable". The more I watch it, the more it starts to seem like a Bendis comic just put straight up on the screen.
Yeah I can see that. I figured out the villain of Unbreakable as quickly as I did in Avengers: Disassembled.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/10/A70-5055

YouStayClassy
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
The Matrix

That one doesn't count, it was based on the Invisibles.

Gregory
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I would argue Matrix or Jet Li's Hero fit the list, but neither would be my first choice.

Gotts say Unbreakable.

Gregory
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Superfuzz!

HBO used to show that nine times a day. Great, fun movie.

02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Yeah I can see that. I figured out the villain of Unbreakable as quickly as I did in Avengers: Disassembled.

It actually caught me off-guard, which Night's films don't usually do. I'm proud of the fact that I called the big twist at the end of The Village about ten minutes into that one.

greg donovan
02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
unbreakable. even though hasselhoff and i hand a lenghty discussion on wheter or not daid dunn is actually super or not. i say he is, the fishman says that he isnt.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
It actually caught me off-guard, which Night's films don't usually do. I'm proud of the fact that I called the big twist at the end of The Village about ten minutes into that one.
A couple minutes in to the film when Sam Jackson is describing the cover art in the gallery he makes some sort of comment about how the villains head is abnormally large to show he's the villain (not verbatim...from memory seeing it the day it was released). Immediately I thought "so that's why he has such fucked up Buckwheat hair in this movie"...then I spent the next 90 minutes praying I hadn't figured out the whole movie in the first couple minutes.

Dreg
02-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Unbreakable,
Robocop,

and I'll go ahead and backup Condorman, because it had one of the best carchases in cinema history.

02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
A couple minutes in to the film when Sam Jackson is describing the cover art in the gallery he makes some sort of comment about how the villains head is abnormally large to show he's the villain (not verbatim...from memory seeing it the day it was released). Immediately I thought "so that's why he has such fucked up Buckwheat hair in this movie"...then I spent the next 90 minutes praying I hadn't figured out the whole movie in the first couple minutes.

It was the fact that, in the beginning scene of the village, there was a long, lingering shot of a headstone, thus making sure we were aware of when this story was supposed to be taking place, that did it for me.

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 09:18 AM

Most of us called the twist during the Super Bowl commercial six months prior to release.

02-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Most of us called the twist during the Super Bowl commercial six months prior to release.

Most of you have too much time to think about these things.

:wink:

Taki Soma
Unbreakable?
yes

MIKE D
Most of you have too much time to think about these things.

:wink:

Well, that was an incredibly long thirty seconds.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
It was the fact that, in the beginning scene of the village, there was a long, lingering shot of a headstone, thus making sure we were aware of when this story was supposed to be taking place, that did it for me.
Haven't seen it...but the twist was pretty open on movie sites for months before the movie came out. Mostly because people couldn't believe it was true since it seemed so dopey.

Gavin
02-27-2006, 09:21 AM
No love for Mystery Men?

Unbreakable is great.

I didn't care for The Incredibles.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
No love for Mystery Men?

Unbreakable is great.

Mystery Men is based off real comic characters that first appeared in Flaming Carrot.

xyzzy

Was it some sort of contest? Sometimes it can be fun to just sit back, relax and watch a movie, ya know?

Gavin
Mystery Men is based off real comic characters that first appeared in Flaming Carrot.
Oh. Had no idea.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Was it some sort of contest? Sometimes it can be fun to just sit back, relax and watch a movie, ya know?
When your rep is based on the twists in your films, it's hard for people to watch without trying to figure it out. I do this with all movies, television, books, etc. For me every story is like a puzzle that I'm trying to figure out. Not too big on being spoonfed everything.

Kefky
02-27-2006, 09:25 AM

Yea. I actually think I enjoyed that movie BECAUSE I knew about the "twist" beforehand. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Not as good as signs, though.

And I'll go with unbreakable too, I guess.

xyzzy
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
When your rep is based on the twists in your films, it's hard for people to watch without trying to figure it out. I do this with all movies, television, books, etc. For me every story is like a puzzle that I'm trying to figure out. Not too big on being spoonfed everything.

Unless it's a whodunnit, I'm not that interested in beating the film to the punch. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Sixth Sense took me by surprise. Unbreakable didn't. Didn't affect my enjoyment of either.

I don't know what that has to do with being "spoon fed."

J. R. Scherer
02-27-2006, 09:27 AM
I think it's The Incredibles for me. So much fun. So good. So sad for AAlgar.

And I had also figured out the 'twist' in The Village from the trailers. During the movie I kept hoping that I would be proven wrong, but I never was...

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM

Indeed. Live by the gimmick, die by the gimmick. He's talented enough of a filmmaker to drop that particular gimmick, but he seems to think it's the key to his bread and butter, and keeps it up with diminishing returns.

If your story isn't a puzzle I can totally sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. If your story IS a puzzle, of course people are going to ponder on it. And don't cry if it's so obvious thirty seconds of clips can solve it.

d.j.
02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
THE INCREDIBLES! That movie is great and so rewatchable.

xyzzy
02-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Indeed. Live by the gimmick, die by the gimmick. He's talented enough of a filmmaker to drop that particular gimmick, but he seems to think it's the key to his bread and butter, and keeps it up with diminishing returns.

If your story isn't a puzzle I can totally sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. If your story IS a puzzle, of course people are going to ponder on it. And don't cry if it's so obvious thirty seconds of clips can solve it.

I think that one problem is that trick endings work best when the viewers aren't aware of them. If you know going into a film that there is a trick ending, a lot more weight goes onto that part of the movie than if you're going in without expectations.

moonspider
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
PUMAMAN!!!

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't know what that has to do with being "spoon fed."
I'm saying that I'm an active participant in my entertainment...I scrutinize and dissect it as I go along. This is a major component of my enjoyment. I don't just let it wash over me and I don't usually enjoy things with little depth for me to explore.

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I think that one problem is that trick endings work best when the viewers aren't aware of them. If you know going into a film that there is a trick ending, a lot more weight goes onto that part of the movie than if you're going in without expectations.

That was the beauty of Sixth Sense. Now that you know they are coming in his films, this kind of thing is an unavoidable response. The best twist he could do now is not put a twist in. Maybe the upcoming one with Giamatti will be twist-free.

Brian Defferding
02-27-2006, 09:50 AM
The Incredibles and Unbreakable, hands down.

The Matrix too (the first one).

GelfXIII
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Road to Perdition

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:52 AM
I agree. The best twists are the ones that totally take you by surprise. And the best stories to employ twists are the ones where you didn't ever realize there was going to be a twist until it happens. Which is why it is so hard for me to find something I truly like because I am always looking for a twist and it takes a lot to sneak one by me.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
That was the beauty of Sixth Sense. Now that you know they are coming in his films, this kind of thing is an unavoidable response. The best twist he could do now is not put a twist in. Maybe the upcoming one with Giamatti will be twist-free.
He said he was going to drop twists after Signs...but then The Village came out. Maybe he thought saying he wasn't going to have a twist would make people stop expecting it so he could pull one off again.

He's a good film maker...to rely on a gimmick is only hurting him.

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
He said he was going to drop twists after Signs...but then The Village came out. Maybe he thought saying he wasn't going to have a twist would make people stop expecting it so he could pull one off again.

He's a good film maker...to rely on a gimmick is only hurting him.

Yes, the underlying drama under his stories is always beautifully underplayed. The man needs to drop the Twilight Zone shit and crank out a straight drama. He's got the ability to put out something on the level of ORDINARY PEOPLE, if he could just drop the crutch.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Yes, the underlying drama under his stories is always beautifully underplayed. The man needs to drop the Twilight Zone shit and crank out a straight drama. He's got the ability to put out something on the level of ORDINARY PEOPLE, if he could just drop the crutch.
He, very simply, needs to direct something he himself hasn't written. From a Buick 8 by King, whatever you might've thought of it, would be pefect for Shyamalan. Pennsylvania, an understated supernatural, and a much smaller twist than usual. Hell, I'd be happy if he tackled Cell. I really think King and MNS could really complement each other well. We could get another film on the level of Stand By Me if it works out.

Ben
02-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Blankman

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 10:43 AM
He, very simply, needs to direct something he himself hasn't written. From a Buick 8 by King, whatever you might've thought of it, would be pefect for Shyamalan. Pennsylvania, an understated supernatural, and a much smaller twist than usual. Hell, I'd be happy if he tackled Cell. I really think King and MNS could really complement each other well. We could get another film on the level of Stand By Me if it works out.

Never read Buick 8, but he'd be perfect if they ever wanted to do another film remake of DEAD ZONE.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Nice observations. What is From a Buick 8 about btw?

nihilance
02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Never read Buick 8, but he'd be perfect if they ever wanted to do another film remake of DEAD ZONE.
I doubt that would happen given the recent television series.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
YES! Make it a prequel to the West Wing.

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I doubt that would happen given the recent television series.

I know. Anthony Michael Hall ruins everything I covet.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Nice observations. What is From a Buick 8 about btw?
It's about a local small town Police Department in rural PA that finds a strange car at a gas station and the odd and sometimes tragic things that happen to them as a result of housing this mystery "car" for a few years (I don't remember the length of time elapsed during the book as it's mostly told in flashback).

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 10:48 AM
A great story he should adapt that would be perfect for him is Dan Simmons' "The River Styx Runs Upstream".

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:53 AM
A great story he should adapt that would be perfect for him is Dan Simmons' "The River Styx Runs Upstream".
YES! Talk about old school. I was a Twilight Zone subcriber (at what, 12?) when Simmons won their first annual short fiction contest with that one and started his career. Hollow Man or Summer of Night would be a good fit as well.

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 10:57 AM
YES! Talk about old school. I was a Twilight Zone subcriber (at what, 12?) when Simmons won their first annual short fiction contest with that one and started his career. Hollow Man or Summer of Night would be a good fit as well.

Yeah, a lot of Simmons would fit for him. Except MINE. I'd go super old school with that story and give it to someone like Walter Hill.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, a lot of Simmons would fit for him. Except MINE. I'd go super old school with that story and give it to someone like Walter Hill.
I don't know MINE by title. Is it in Prayers to Broken Stones? Or LoveDeath?

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Not a short story. It was a full novel. And now that I remember it, it was not written by Simmons, buy rather Robert McCammon. (I read those two a lot simultaneously back in the day). So it's actually completely irrelevent to our conversation.

If you are interested in picking it up however, and it is a recommended thriller, it was about a woman who's newborn baby is stolen from the hospital from a psychotic woman and the lengths she goes to reclaim him.

A.Huerta
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
No love for Mystery Men?

Unbreakable is great.

And you cared for Ultimate Avengers?:mistrust:

Matrix
Unbreakable
and The Incredibles

mayhemspider
02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
mst3k's Pumaman!

and of course the Incredibles, the Matrix, and what the hell, ghostbusters falls in that category!

Horizon Drive
02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
The Matrix
The Incredibles
The Rocketeer (c'mon people !!!)
Some Kind Of Hero ;)

MIKE D
02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
The Matrix
The Incredibles
Some Kind Of Hero ;)

The Rocketeer is probably not being mentioned because it was from a comic book.

nihilance
02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
The Matrix
The Incredibles
Some Kind Of Hero ;)
Rocketeer is based on a real comic.

Fourthman
02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
The Matrix
The Incredibles
Some Kind Of Hero ;)
Rocketeer was a comic first.

Horizon Drive
02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Alright! Alright ! Alright already !!!!!

Was Some Kind of Hero based on a comic? Was it ?!?!?!

nihilance
02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Hero At Large was the John Ritter movie from the early 80's. Does anyone remember this one?

Horizon Drive
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Uhm, that's what I meant, not Some Kind of Hero, but Hero at Large. Shit, I am bombing on this thread.

Andreas
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
The SuperVips (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144667/)

Andreas

Horizon Drive
02-27-2006, 12:39 PM
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/amasoni2002/shl/originals/hero_at_large_(1980)/01.jpg