PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here take pictures?

AvidFan
02-26-2006, 11:34 AM
hey

anyone been in the same boat as myself?
just got a digital camera to help with my college course... thing is I've honestly only ever taken about 5 pix in my life

F this? Stop that? all some alien language to me, well as far as the camera is concerned, so any pointers from the good folks here would be appreciated?
or links to the right kind of websites

thanks
andy.

AvidFan
02-26-2006, 11:57 AM
save me from taking pix like this:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29622578/

af.

GelfXIII
02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
The great thing about taking digital pics is you dont need to know any of the technical stuff about shutter speeds and F-stops and such. Because you aren't taking pictures with film you can afford to be experimental, try a zillion different thing and see which you like. I learned to take pictures with a 35mm back in the dark ages and only relatively recently consigned my old cameras (2 Pentaxes and a Ricoh) and lenses (about $5k worth of glass) to the darkest corner of my closet. While I would still dig them out if I took another professional job shooting (as I used to in my youth), mostly because of the superior lenses, for day to day shooting you cant beat the convienience of Digital. I take way more pics recreationally and artistically than I ever did on film, and while 90% is crap, it doesn't matter because you just delete what you dont like.
My advice is go out on a sunny day and take a shitload of pics and see what works and what doesn't.

CraigM
02-26-2006, 07:52 PM
I take convention pictures, and that's it. That is, until someone stole my camera at Texas.

You just gotta take pictures. If you have the people in the picture and it's not crooked, I think you're good.

Craig

AvidFan
02-27-2006, 07:33 AM
cool thnx guys, so it's really idiot proof (meaning myself) photography

dont know about the sunny day thing though, this is scotland and I aint seen one of them in the past nine years!
was even at edinburgh zoo today trying to get some shots for a newsletter but the animals werent daft they just stayed indoors!

saying that the camera has a 'stitch' function which I like and I seem to spend most of the time using that or just shooting the cat

again thanks
andy

J.D. Lombardi
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Depending on which sort of digital you have - low endish camera or higher tier-pro style....you'll have a settings dial that has "action," "outdoors," "flash," etc on it. If your camera has this dial on it, try shooting the same exact image, but switching the dial from option to option each time. It'll give you a look into what you can do with a particular setting.

AvidFan
02-28-2006, 05:34 AM
cool, just been sticking to the presets and not thinking about shooting them for other scenarios, it's a canon a610 which suited me by pocket and need, so kinda happy with it and what it does so far

thanks
andy